PDA

View Full Version : From Bankhouse Books: Diana Ross: Queen of Motown, A Review

test

jobeterob
12-15-2010, 03:20 AM
BOOK REVIEW:

Diana: Queen of Motown by Ian Phillips [[Bank House Books, 2010)

By K. Bonin

This January 2011, Diana Ross will be celebrating her 50th anniversary as the Queen of Motown. She has been performing since she was 16 and actually released her first record in 1959 as a Primette [[The Primettes were the sister group to The Primes, soon-to-be The Temptations). Throughout her career, she has often received as much deserved praise, as she did, at times, endure unfair criticisms. It is safe to say that she is one of the most misunderstood artists of her generation. The Beatles had their share of feuds and group disagreements including the demonization of Lennon's spouse, Yoko Ono. And the current bestseller blockbuster by Keith Richards rips the veil off of the friction inside of The Rolling Stones. But somehow Diana Ross has been portrayed as one of music's singular villains.

The negative press targeted at her, came, most infamously, from the victimized Mary Wilson in her bestselling autobiography, Dreamgirls. But it also came from a barrage of books on Diana and Motown by scribes like Randy Taraborrelli [[Call Her Miss Ross), Tony Turner [[All That Glittered) and Raynoma Singleton [[Berry, Me and Motown) from the mid Œ80s to the early Œ90s. Most of these books capitalized on sensationalistic tales, rewritten history and one-sided embittered memories. What was lost in translation was the significant contribution that Diana has made to the American arts and the adoration of millions of fans.

Finally, a number of books have surfaced recently that celebrate her rich legacy. One by Tom Adrahtas [[A Lifetime To Get Here), Ed Ifkovic [[Diana's Dogs: Diana Ross and the Definition of a Diva) and now Ian Phillips' [[Diana: Queen of Motown) all sing praises of her meteoric rise and her enduring staying power. It is Ian Phillips¹ tome that finally begins to analyze her vast body of work, rather than her controversial persona.

The book is split into 3 sections, The Supremes period, her solo period and her movies. All of her albums are analyzed from a musical standpoint focusing on her vocal performances and the production on the various albums. Chart analysis from both the U.K. and the U.S. are included. Phillips, being a Brit, brings a unique Euro-spin on arguably her most successful territories. Her recording career in Europe has remained a lot more vibrant than it has, unfortunately, here in the States.

Beginning with her debut, ŒMeet the Supremes¹, Phillips takes a close look at the challenges that Motown had in identifying the appropriate mix to create music that still endures today [["Stop! In The Name of Love" by The Glee Cast recently hit the iTunes Top 5). ŒMeet the Supremes¹ included 8 failed singles written and produced by Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson. It would not be until Holland-Dozier-Holland began crafting songs [["When the Lovelight Starts Shining in His Eyes") for Diana's unique, clear commercial-sounding voice that the hits would begin pouring in from around the world. Phillips' digs deep into the recording processes of the first attempts to find a sound and then captures the utter excitement that occurred in the summer of 1964 when "Where Did Our Love Go" broke through in 3 short weeks. Fans and musicologists get a glimpse into the journey of how quickly The Supremes became "America's Sweethearts".

In an extensive look at the year and a half "Where Did Our Love Go" spent on the Billboard, Cashbox and Record World charts, you are transported to how Americans possibly began to heal after the loss of a President as the British Invasion brought The Beatles to our shores while the Sound of Young America, "The Motown Sound", in turn invaded the rest of the world.

Berry Gordy had the ladies create several themed albums like ŒWe Remember Sam Cooke¹, ŒSings Country, Western and Pop¹ and ŒSings Rodgers and Hart¹. Those projects were not necessarily meant to rival the contemporary hits. They were designed to emphasize Ross' expanding versatility. Analysis of these albums is also included, as well as that of their platinum holiday album, ŒMerry Christmas¹. It is within these early theme albums that Ross' potential begins to surface brightly. Long before Linda Ronstadt's trilogy of albums with Nelson Riddle or Streisand's pair of Broadway albums [[ŒThe Broadway Album¹, ŒBack to Broadway¹), Diana delved into the Great American Songbook on vinyl and in the Supremes¹ stage act, [[ŒLive at the Copa¹). Diana¹s current tour encompasses many of the Performing Arts Centers around the country. These type of venues tend to be more upscale and include Broadway touring shows and jazz and classical recitals. It is her comfort level with this material that has helped her remain a viable touring act for 5 decades. Diana's career, under Gordy's direction, was intentionally designed to last long past when the contemporary hits stopped coming.

The Supremes would have a list of "first" accomplishments that included their memorable appearance at The Copa in New York. Long reserved for the likes of the Brat Pack [[Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.), the Copa had limited/prohibited appearances by non-white acts. The Supremes broke down that barrier by being the first black pop act to grace its stages. This appearance required an understanding of the Great American Songbook, as well as a showcasing of their hits. Albums like ŒSing Rodgers & Hart¹ and ŒI Hear a Symphony¹ appealed to some of the same buyers of Streisand's adult contemporary albums of that period. ŒLive at the Copa¹ was a culmination of how well that idiom had been mastered by Diana and The Supremes. Diana's eloquent phrasing and caressing of a lyric proved to be as suited for Rodgers & Hart's Broadway catalog as it did "Come See About Me". This factor has often gotten lost through the years. Nurtured during the early Œ60s, Diana competed with ease as the charts were ruled by Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand, Broadway scores and the maturation of rock 'n roll. [[Ross would also receive high marks from Jule Styne, composer of "Funny Girl" for recreating that entire score).

It would be the marriage of Holland, Dozier, Holland with Ross' sensuous and dramatic phrasing that would drive her to sell over 200 million records worldwide. With studio albums like ŒWhere Did Our Love¹, ŒMore Hits¹, ŒI Hear a Symphony¹, ŒHolland, Dozier, Holland¹, ŒA Go Go and partially ŒReflections¹, the dynamic marriage would garner no less than 12 #1 singles and over 13 Top 10-20 albums [[two hit #1). The guys knew how to write songs that best highlighted Diana's best vocal qualities. In the confines of the diminutive Studio A, Diana worked diligently as the guys crafted songs that would become uniquely hers.

This success would be duplicated around the globe. Phillips' relays the chart success she would achieve in the U.K. with the same depth as he captures it stateside. It is fascinating to see how some projects fared better here than abroad. Albums like ŒLive at London's Talk of the Town¹ soared to #6 in the U.K. with performances attended by Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger. Diana would win a 2nd designation in the Guinness World Book of Records for posting a chart hit once each year for an astounding 32 years. Her last U.K. hit, a duet remake with Westlife of her song "When You Tell Me You Love Me", hit #1 in Ireland and #2 in England in 2005 [[as compared to her last hit on these shores being a hip hop sampling of "I'm Coming Out" on the #1 "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" by Notorious B.I.G. in 1997. Ross declined label credit though it rightfully belonged to her). Diana enjoyed a near global resurgence in the early Œ90s beginning with the timeless, ³The Force Behind the Power².

It was her British fan base that helped lay the ground work for her return to radio and charts across the European continent, Japan and Australia. [[It is safe to say that Ross¹ return to Motown, though heralded at the time, was underwhelming). Her international label, EMI, ensured that her career was restored.

Thanks to a diligent and focused effort, Ross¹ early solo albums have all benefited from Expanded Editions. Motown/Universal has done exceptional work with its elaborate reimagining of her 1970 solo debut, ŒDiana Ross¹, ŒEverything is Everything¹, ŒSurrender¹ and the long lost companion to her ground breaking, ŒLady Sings the Blues¹ in ŒBlue¹. These reissues are excellent. The author includes updates from both the original album and its more recent expansive reissues.

Diana has been one of the most photographed celebrities in the rock Œn roll era. There are nice clear quality photos from The Supremes first European tour in 1965, rare 45 single covers, and gorgeous studio and film career shots. Also included are very recent shots from her 2006-2007 ³This Is It² European stint and the 2007 domestic ³I Love You² tour, capturing her emotive spirit on stage.

After the massive amount of success and praise she received while leading The Supremes, a new level of artistry would surface in her solo career beginning in the Œ70s. Her preparation for her first starring feature film would find her immersed in all things Billie Holiday for most of 1971-72. She would prove to be a great method actress. As she honed her natural acting skills, her voice would also begin to mature and expand. This was a prime example of how committed she was to her art. A similar thing happened when she began filming The Wiz. Quincy Jones is said to have taken her voice up another octave or two. This would be a perfect lead-in to what nearly all fans consider to be her finest work of the Œ70s, ŒThe Boss¹.

jobeterob
12-15-2010, 03:21 AM
ŒThe Boss¹ reunited Ashford & Simpson with Diana; they were responsible for her first #1 solo single, ³Ain¹t No Mountain High Enough². She would record 3 albums, to date, with the dynamic husband & wife writer/producer team. All 3 of these albums have been afforded expanded/special editions including her solo debut, ŒDiana Ross¹, ŒSurrender¹ and of course, ŒThe Boss¹ [[though strong remixes of a couple of singles, ³No One Gets the Prize² and ³I Ain¹t Been Licked² surfaced on other releases). These are also some of her most soulful works and each album was critically and commercially acclaimed [[i.e. ŒSurrender/I¹m Still Waiting¹ included her #1 U.K. smash, ³I¹m Still Waiting² though the album didn¹t fare as well here).

She had several peaks and valleys in the 1970s. Recordings like ŒSurrender¹ and ŒEverything is Everything¹ would suffer from poor sales due in part to her unavailability and the label¹s lack of strong promotion. That said, the post-millennium release of their respective Expanded Editions would garner strong critical acclaim and newfound commercial possibilities. ŒBlue¹ was originally intended to be a follow-up to her #1 album and movie, Lady Sings the Blues. It would be shelved until 2006. When it was eventually released, it soared to #2 on the Jazz charts and attained mostly positive reviews. A complete chapter is dedicated to ŒBlue¹ where the author compares her versions of the jazz & blues standards to the various other versions Diana had recorded either with The Supremes or as a solo artist [[see ŒStolen Moments: The Lady Sings Jazz and Blues¹).

In the Œ70s, she began her move from the Motown recording machinery by working with Richard Perry on ŒBaby It¹s Me¹ in 1978. Easily one of her most underrated albums, it is here where the testament to Diana¹s strength as a pure pop vocalist is on best display. After the Tony-winning success of ³An Evening withŠ², this was Diana¹s second misstep commercially. Following in its footsteps was ŒRoss ¹78¹ which is arguably not a full album and more of a makeshift release that suffered again from poor sales and poor promotion. This would lead into her misunderstood role in The Wiz that has since found its own place in history. The Wiz showcased some of Diana¹s best vocal performances under the guidance of Quincy Jones and Ashford & Simpson.

Ever the trouper, Diana would not be counted out as she embarked on her biggest commercial peak since 1976¹s ŒBlack Album¹ featuring ³Love Hangover². The aforementioned album, ŒThe Boss¹, would find her back with Ashford & Simpson soaring to the top of the dance, pop and album charts again. ŒThe Boss¹ remains arguably her finest hour critically. She was singing at a level we had not quite heard before. The stage was set for the ultimate comeback [[though it could be said that she was always there).

The rumblings had begun about Diana possibly doing the inconceivable by leaving Motown. ŒThe Boss¹ had been recorded outside of the Motown system and its follow-up, Œdiana¹ would be too. She would produce an extremely successful special for HBO/SRO under the auspices of Diana Ross Enterprises sans Motown involvement. The success of that special led to her next triumph in remixing the Chic-produced Œdiana¹ which would become her most successful studio album up to that time [[selling 6 million copies worldwide).

It bode well for her move to another label. She was further bolstered by her mega-successful duet with Lionel Richie ³Endless Love² which would be given to Motown as a consolation for her departure. The single was the top selling single of 1980 and garnered 5 Grammy nods. The album reviews actually could have been much more in depth. However, in a career that spans nearly 5 decades, the book¹s nearly 300 pages would have been increased twofold. The key albums are given a fair enough analysis. The author makes a few errors like crediting the wonderful collaboration The Supremes and The Temptations made on ³The Impossible Dream² [[from both ŒT.C.B.¹ and ŒJoins The Temptations¹) to Elvis Presley. The song actually emanated from the Œ60s Broadway musical ³Man of La Mancha². He names American Idol winner Jordan Sparks as Jordan Spice. Being British he also undervalues Ross¹ induction into the coveted Kennedy Center Honors, arguably the highest distinction an American artist can receive. These points are minor. While a true musicologist and/or Ross admirer would have appreciated a more in-depth analysis, the first book of its kind dedicated to Diana¹s amazing body of work fits the bill nicely.

RATING: 7

K. Bonin has worked in the music industry for the last three decades. He describes himself as "a child of Motown and the classic rock era." Having spent the balance of his career at Arista Records, his experience and passion gives him a unique perspective on music and the music industry.

iconicpuff
12-15-2010, 06:56 AM
This book was ok, but it is just a fan's [[and I emphasise 'fan' as the superlatives aimed at Miss Ross never waiver and use up every ione in the English language') personal opinion of each track on each album. It doesn't tell you anything you don't already know.
The mistake that made me titter was calling solo artist Nella Dodds a Philadelphia group the 'Nelladods'!!!!!!

Having said that , I quite enjoyed it, though it wasn't worth the 25 quid selling price, and it did make me want to listen again to her albums. Especially the 80s ones.

RossHolloway
12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
What a nice write up about the book and I usually don't buy books about DR, but I may make an exception on this one.

stephanie
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Reminds me of Richard Adrahtas book A Ross love fest although well written.

topdiva1
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Yet another fans tribute to a great star - good book - but published about 20 years to late - it does serve as a good road map to BASIC DIANA.

miss_lish
12-15-2010, 11:43 AM
It's refreshing to read about Miss Ross's music and accomplishments without the mud slinging.

topdiva1
12-15-2010, 11:48 AM
It's refreshing to read about Miss Ross's music and accomplishments without the mud slinging.

Very true statement - anyway the mud has hardened to dry dirt and blown away - no one cares about those old stories that may or may not have actually happened.

bankhousedave
12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for posting that, Jobete. Many people in the industry [[and beyond) seem to agree with Kirk that an assessment of Diana's actual achievements was long overdue. The book has been well received everywhere. We're very proud of it, and glad of the opportunity to give support and admiration to someone who has given us so much over the years.

robbert
12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Everybody has the right to his or her own icon.
For me The Supremes once were mine, Diana solo was interesting for my musical ears until let's say the mid eighties. Having said that, her vocal sound was my very first deeply felt 'wow!' in 1963/1964 when I was 13-14 y/o. It's still one of my fondest teenage memories.
I found out over the next few decades I don't need raving books to keep that memory alive. I like to look at pics of her, but the written stuff doesn't interest me no more.

I have moved on.
More than enough to be done in life without having an icon to distract me from the many socially relevant volunteer work I am endulged in. Like standing up [[yet again, after 40 years!) against the rising homophobia in The Netherlands...

topdiva1
12-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for posting that, Jobete. Many people in the industry [[and beyond) seem to agree with Kirk that an assessment of Diana's actual achievements was long overdue. The book has been well received everywhere. We're very proud of it, and glad of the opportunity to give support and admiration to someone who has given us so much over the years.

In truth you are so very on point - Praise for the actual achievements of Diana Ross - sometimes against all odds - is LONG OVERDUE. She has never given us less than too mUCH!!!

jobeterob
12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I wasn't keen on the Ahdratus book; too much of a fan book repeating all the highs, which all of us already know anyway; Diana's Dogs was good and fun; I recall a section on the obsessed and crazy fans. I think this new book is a few notches about either of those books. There are only a few increasingly rare lost souls who wallow in being negative and mudslinging; luckily, I think we only have two that come and go from here.

TopDiva and Miss Lish are right. The Motown Acts and Motowners generally are basking in a warm afterglow of what was accomplished; they look back and see that they did ALL THAT; they look back and think the winters were warmer, the grass was greener, and the smiles were bright.

smark21
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I think the bit in the PR release quoted in the first post about how the Supremes Rodgers and Hart and live albums influenced Streisand to do The Broadway album is stretching credulity to the bursting point, it is nice there's a book out there focussing on Ross' work. It would be more interesting if the writer had more criticial credentials, but it's a start. I'm recently poring over a new book called A Biographical Guide to the Great Jazz and Pop Singers by Wil Friedwald, an excellent music critic, historian and writer. He's pretty much a Great American Songbook man and loves his Sinatra and Ella and Crosby. However, Ross does not rate an entry in the book, though he does praise Ross' performance in Lady Sings the Blues [[though he says the movie has nothing to do with the real Billie Holliday) and in an essay devoted to rock singers performing the standards, he gives a good notice to The Supremes performing with Bobby Darin on the Rodgers and Hart Today special and he likes The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart, stating it's the only quality album Motown made for the Supremes and it features some good arrangements and Ross displays an Eartha Kitt quality in her vocals. I wish Friedwald had devoted a full entry in his book to Ross. She is an underratted jazz/pop singer of standards and more serious critics should revisit her work and voice their opinion. I would like to think they would come away impressed.

miss_lish
12-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Miss Ross's Blue CD was almost universally praised by critics, but if this Friedwald critic doesn't appreciate that the Supreme's Motown work has merit, he needs his ass kicked.

On a sidebar, I don't think Ian Phillips has blinked since Tears of Sorrow was released. I enjoyed Tom's book for the same reasons that I am enjoying Ian's: they both celebrate Miss Ross's contributions to the world of entertainment. The only issue I have with Tom's book is he elevated her to the status of Mother Teresa.

smark21
12-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Miss Ross's Blue CD was almost universally praised by critics, but if this Friedwald critic doesn't appreciate that the Supreme's Motown work has merit, he needs his ass kicked.

On a sidebar, I don't think Ian Phillips has blinked since Tears of Sorrow was released. I enjoyed Tom's book for the same reasons that I am enjoying Ian's: they both celebrate Miss Ross's contributions to the world of entertainment. The only issue I have with Tom's book is he elevated her to the status of Mother Teresa.

He thought The Supremes singles were great, but he opines that Motown cranked out Suprmes albums like they were sausage, except for Rodgers and Hart.

miss_lish
12-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I see. Well, perhaps Miss Lish will allow him to get away with having only one butt cheek kicked.

jobeterob
12-16-2010, 02:18 AM
I haven't heard that word "opine" used other than by that Eso character who is one of the truly unique Ross obsessors. Does he lurk here?

I second Miss Lish's comment regarding Mother Teresa.

Diana Ross does not need elevation to saintly work. As simple as Mother Teresa, Diana Ross had a very simple but very distinctive voice and developed it's plaintive, distinctive quality with hard work so that it is part of America and the American Dream.

Occasionally, it is nice to read commentary on her work and nice to see that the acid tongues are fading into obscurity.

smark21
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I haven't heard that word "opine" used other than by that Eso character who is one of the truly unique Ross obsessors. Does he lurk here?

I second Miss Lish's comment regarding Mother Teresa.

Diana Ross does not need elevation to saintly work. As simple as Mother Teresa, Diana Ross had a very simple but very distinctive voice and developed it's plaintive, distinctive quality with hard work so that it is part of America and the American Dream.

Occasionally, it is nice to read commentary on her work and nice to see that the acid tongues are fading into obscurity.

Well, I'm not Eso, God forbid, but I do have a broad vocabulary.

smark21
12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I see. Well, perhaps Miss Lish will allow him to get away with having only one butt cheek kicked.

LOL! Friedwald is opinionated. I don't always agree with what he writes, but he's rarely boring. His entry on Aretha Franklin is quite interesting--he thinks she's wasted her talent too often in the past 30 years thinking that Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston were her competition when she should have been aware that she was far superior to them and should have concentrated on being a top flight musician, not chasing radio hits.

topdiva1
12-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I wasn't keen on the Ahdratus book; too much of a fan book repeating all the highs, which all of us already know anyway; Diana's Dogs was good and fun; I recall a section on the obsessed and crazy fans. I think this new book is a few notches about either of those books. There are only a few increasingly rare lost souls who wallow in being negative and mudslinging; luckily, I think we only have two that come and go from here.

Looking back on the glory that was Motown - it is a time that in many ways - musically - was perfect.

TopDiva and Miss Lish are right. The Motown Acts and Motowners generally are basking in a warm afterglow of what was accomplished; they look back and see that they did ALL THAT; they look back and think the winters were warmer, the grass was greener, and the smiles were bright.

Diana Ross came out of that time when the smiles were bright - and musically it was a time at Motown when everything appeared perfect.

Let us remember that time for what is was - MAGIC - Diana Ross rose from that time because of her talent - and the Motown Machines ability to shape her talent - Ross unlike others worked extra hard and hit the stage PREPARED.

Despite anything that has been said about her - the truth is Ross has remained a great star.

And that is not an easy task.

bankhousedave
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Right on, TopD.

topdiva1
12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Right on, TopD.

Thank you bankhousedave - Diana Ross, in spite of all the negativity, and the legendary rumors, has endured and remained a major superstar far beyond most other Motown performers.

jobeterob
12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Diana Ross and Motown were so hugely successful, partly because of timing. And I think they were partly responsible for the following success of Aretha Franklin and James Brown; but only PARTLY because success like that enjoyed by Diana, Aretha and James can only occur because of great talent and hard work.

I don't think Motown could happen again today in the way it did; however, certain of it's artists would probably be successful if they were young today. I'm not so sure that Stevie, Smokey and Diana could all come out of the Brewster Projects!

miss_lish
12-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you bankhousedave - Diana Ross, in spite of all the negativity, and the legendary rumors, has endured and remained a major superstar far beyond most other Motown performers.

Most? or did you mean Michael Jackson?

jobeterob
12-17-2010, 11:10 PM
In the Kitty Kelley bio of Oprah..............which I glanced through at a book store........it says that on December 19, 1964, two people were mesmerized by the Supremes on Ed Sullivan, particularly the lithe lead singer and that Diana Ross became the polestar for a 6 year old Michael Jackson watching in Gary, Indiana and a 10 year old Oprah Winfrey watching in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Penny
12-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Oprah always puts on a good show. I don't get to watch her very often though because of work. Seeing the Supremes on television changed my life too.

jobeterob
12-18-2010, 03:00 AM
That would be a good story to hear Penny ~ most of us on SD love to hear those kinds of stories.

Bankhouse Dave who is posting here is the guy behind the publishing of this particular book that is referenced on this thread.

nomis
12-18-2010, 03:35 AM
I look forward to getting a copy of this book..of course its long overdue..her canny trick of making a song seem personal and intimate has never ceased to amaze me..check out the 81 20/20 profile when she sings "Mirror Mirror" in the studio..shes giddy and playful THEN watch her music video for it..she can sell a song like nobody..shes THE BOSS

Koach
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. It'll be refreshing to read a book that focuses on her career and not on her mistakes... or exagerrations/myths....

jobeterob
12-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I got the book for Christmas. Well done Dave. I haven't done much but glance at it; interesting tributes at the back from Bobby Rogers, Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne, Annette Beard and others.

bankhousedave
12-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks Jobete. Hope you enjoy it.