PDA

View Full Version : Martha and the Vandellas - Motoring

test

midnightman
09-24-2015, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuFaADhVOE

As mentioned in the "most scandalous Motown songs" thread, probably their most controversial song to date [[besides "I Should Be Proud").

johnny_raven
09-24-2015, 08:04 PM
"I Got It Bad" is right up there too

midnightman
09-24-2015, 08:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKWbef06E5A

You're right, it is. This is why I love MR&TV's. They were the "bad girls" of Motown. :)

Philles/Motown Gary
09-25-2015, 04:01 AM
I've never considered Martha & The Vandellas' "Motoring" to be scandalous in any way. Imo, it's just a cool and super-hip song about the joys of getting behind the wheel in your favorite car and taking a spin. [["Hey everybody, come on let's go for a ride.") It's gotta be one of Motown's finest B-sides....ever -- almost worthy of A-side status. It complimented my favorite "Nowhere To Run" beautifully!

Philles/Motown Gary
09-25-2015, 04:03 AM
I've never considered Martha & The Vandellas' "Motoring" to be scandalous in any way. Maybe I'm naive, but, imo, it's just a cool and super-hip song about the joys of getting behind the wheel in your favorite car and taking a spin. [["Hey everybody, come on let's go for a ride.") It's gotta be one of Motown's finest B-sides....ever -- almost worthy of A-side status. It complimented my favorite "Nowhere To Run" beautifully!

westgrandboulevard
09-25-2015, 04:21 AM
Aside from any inferences in the lyrics which may or may not be there, 'Motoring' is indeed one of their best recordings.

Isn't this the recording with the band track that Martha says is literally running backwards?

I don't believe I've ever read the reason for using it that way, but have often wondered how it sounds the 'right' way.....

Philles/Motown Gary
09-25-2015, 04:39 AM
I've never considered Martha & The Vandellas' "Motoring" to be scandalous in any way. Maybe I'm naive, but, imo, it's just a cool and super-hip song about the joys of getting behind the wheel in your favorite car and taking a spin. [["Hey everybody, come on let's go for a ride.") It's gotta be one of Motown's finest B-sides....ever -- almost worthy of A-side status. It complimented my favorite "Nowhere To Run" beautifully!

Sorry about the duplicate post. I wonder how I managed that? I'll bet I couldn't do it again if I had to!

Philles/Motown Gary
09-25-2015, 04:59 AM
Aside from any inferences in the lyrics which may or may not be there, 'Motoring' is indeed one of their best recordings.

Isn't this the recording with the band track that Martha says is literally running backwards?

I don't believe I've ever read the reason for using it that way, but have often wondered how it sounds the 'right' way.....
I had never heard Martha claim that, wgb, but I guess it's possible. Did you ever hear the 1960's Warner Brothers novelty 45 of Napoleon IV's "They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Haaa!"? The B-side of the record is the A-side mastertape running backwards. If they could do it, I guess Motown could, too, although I can't imagine what would inspire Motown to even think of trying it. Other than stomping on boards and clanking chains on a couple of records, Motown didn't have to rely on gimmicks to get their sound. But, yeah, you're right -- if what Martha said is true, it would be interesting to hear what the original version of "Motoring" sounded like.

westgrandboulevard
09-25-2015, 05:13 AM
P/M Gary... I've read Martha mention it elsewhere, but do you have a copy of 'Live Wire! : The Singles 1962-1972' [[if not, highly recommended) - ?

From the booklet, page 11 :

'The flip side, Motoring, also won some airplay. "I think that's one of the most unique rhythms, " says Martha. "Ivy Hunter was one of the first people who took a tape and played it backwards to produce a beat. 'Motoring' was recorded straight and turned around backwards. That lick is hard to duplicate".

Philles/Motown Gary
09-25-2015, 05:38 AM
Yes, wgb, I have Martha's "Live Wire" CD set. I read the accompanying booklet when it first came out nearly 25 years ago. If what Martha said registered back at the time, I had long since forgotten it. Thanks for making us aware again. That's a real interesting fact about a Motown track that I've always loved.

westgrandboulevard
09-25-2015, 05:43 AM
I just wonder if that band track, played the right way, would sound familar, and had been used for another song.

I also wonder if all the band tracks were kept, and are still in the vault. I suspect not, otherwise I feel they may have been used for the Motown Karaoke series.

But, if they are there, what a feast of music they represent - played almost exclusively with real instruments, by real people. ;)

Bluebrock
09-25-2015, 07:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuFaADhVOE

As mentioned in the "most scandalous Motown songs" thread, probably their most controversial song to date [[besides "I Should Be Proud").
Not sure I find the song scandalous but it is a great tune in anyones book.