PRINT
EMAIL
COMMENTS [[0)
LARGE
MEDIUM
SMALL
Diana Ross in a promotional photo for her current tour
Diana Ross in a promotional photo for her current tour
When Diana Ross appeared in a rechristened movie palace-turned-performance space in Brooklyn early this summer, a reviewer for New York Magazine's Vulture site put it this way: "There is something deeply, profoundly, and perhaps even existentially comforting about the fact that Diana Ross still sounds exactly like Diana Ross."

Ross, at 71, remains an international superstar she was back in the 1960s when she electrified pop music with her playfully sexy vocals as the lead singer of The Supremes. As Motown's leading diva, she epitomized girl group sophistication before venturing out on her own in 1970. The following year she starred in her first film "Lady Sings the Blues" in which she played troubled jazz singer Billie Holiday, receiving an Oscar nomination in the process.

She has never stopped working, which led to her being named "Female Entertainer of the Century" by Billboard magazine. In 1993 the Guinness Books of World Records declared Ross the most successful female music artist in history due to her having more hits than any female artist on the charts. She has had 70 hit singles with her work with the Supremes and as a solo artist and sold more than 100 million records worldwide.

This Friday Diana Ross brings her latest show to Boston's Wang Theatre. For a complete list of her upcoming dates, For a list of Diana Ross's upcoming concerts visit this website.

Ms. Ross took time off from her busy concert tour to answer some questions for EDGE.

Diana Ross
EDGE: What can your fans expect at the show? Will the show have all the hits through out the years?

Diana Ross: I named the show, 'The Essential Diana Ross: Some Memories Never Fade,' so that the audience and my band and I can take a musical journey of memories, and create new memories. Each song reminds me of something, somewhere or someone. Music is magic. I love to sing and perform and every show feels like a celebration. It is all about the music and those private and personal memories: energy, pure love, excitement, joy - fun.

EDGE: Having been in the music industry for so long, how do you still feel about touring?

Diana Ross: Touring to me, each place, even though I might be returning, feels brand new. And it's like a new adventure. I tour because I enjoy it and I am having fun. I love to sing. I love performing before an audience and entertaining, it makes me feel good, and I do hope that the audience shares in that feel good feeling too. I have a wonderful backing band, rhythm section, horns, and singers, and we just have a good time on stage. My band and I have been together for a very long time. We're like family. We enjoy each other's company and really love to PLAY, we have FUN! We have a joyful time performing.

EDGE: What's the main focus of your offstage life these days?

Diana Ross: I love my time both on stage and off stage. But, when I am performing, there is a tremendous amount of energy with the audience, my band, and myself. I interact with the faces and eyes in front of me. It's a really amazing feeling. It's like a vibration, a flow.

When I am off stage, I really do enjoy having my private life. I live a very full life. I'm happy being here in this time in history, there's so many good things happening in our world and I focus on the good things.

My favorite time of day is early mornings. I love to see the day began and I love the feeling of the morning quiet.

EDGE: What is your favorite Diana Ross song to perform?

Diana Ross: I like 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' and 'I Will Survive.' I love songs that have very positive energy and thought behind them.

EDGE: 'I'm Coming Out' has been a huge anthem for the LGBT population. What are your thoughts on that?

Diana Ross: I've had a big gay following my entire career, which I love! I am very happy to have a song which has continued to celebrate and contributed to them. The idea for the song came about after Chic founder Nile Rodgers saw a few drag queens dressed as me. Of course, I was very flattered.

To purchase tickets to see Diana Ross in concert on September 19th at the Wang Theatre. For ticket information, visit the Citi Performing Arts Center box office.

For a list of Diana Ross's upcoming concerts visit this website.

For more information about Diana Ross, visit her Facebook page.

jobeterob
09-15-2015, 01:48 PM
http://www.edgebaltimore.com/entertainment////184842/5_questions_with_diana_ross

jobeterob
09-15-2015, 01:50 PM
I guess it's a Baltimore interview.

LOL - her favorites songs are Ain't No Mountain High Enough and I Will Survive.

Who said yesterday I Will Survive will never go out of the show!

Ollie9
09-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Oh gawd!!!!!!!!

reese
09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
This is an interview that can be used in any city on her tour. It appeared in Boston's Bay State Banner last week.

jobeterob
09-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Oh gawd!!!!!!!!

Your prediction came true as you spoke! It'll never go away!

Bluebrock
09-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Your prediction came true as you spoke! It'll never go away!
It looks like it's in there for life!!