PDA

View Full Version : Stoned Love by Mary and Cindy

test

luke
12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Stunning and how did they do it without the Andantes! Hope those of you who are interested enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jobamPSPM&feature=related

marv2
12-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh please, this recording is just too glorious to even discuss. I just have to let it be. It is what it is........fantastic!

marv2
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Memories of Christmas Week 1970!

topdiva1
12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
jUST SWEET AND PERFECTLY FLAWLESS - PURE VOICE WITHOUT ALL THE ADDED FLUFF -

marv2
12-16-2010, 09:30 PM
jUST SWEET AND PERFECTLY FLAWLESS - PURE VOICE WITHOUT ALL THE ADDED FLUFF -

NOBODY did it better than Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong on this record. It was just right and they were expert in their delivery.........

luke
12-16-2010, 09:36 PM
It's interesting how strong this song and their vocals are even without the lead vocal!!

jobeterob
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
I saw this twittered last night "by Diana Ross and the Supremes".

I thought the 45 of it was perfect for the radio! Motown at it's smartest.

stephanie
12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Again! Proof that Mary and Cindy were on top of their game! I believe to this day that is why Mary likes Frank Wilson so much because he knew their talent. Flo fought for only her and Marys voice to be on the Happening and you see we got magic with that recording, I love the Andantes but they could have left them off of some of the Supremes songs and doubletracked when necessary.

topdiva1
12-17-2010, 02:08 AM
Again! Proof that Mary and Cindy were on top of their game! I believe to this day that is why Mary likes Frank Wilson so much because he knew their talent. Flo fought for only her and Marys voice to be on the Happening and you see we got magic with that recording, I love the Andantes but they could have left them off of some of the Supremes songs and doubletracked when necessary.

The Andantes and others were used according to Tony Turner in All That Glittered My Life With The Supremes - to simply prove that the public would except Diana Ross's voice without - Mary, Flo, or Cindy behind her. Gordy testing the market for Ross prior to the split.

jonc
12-17-2010, 02:11 AM
The Andantes and others were used according to Tony Turner in All That Glittered My Life With The Supremes - to simply prove that the public would except Diana Ross's voice without - Mary, Flo, or Cindy behind her. Gordy testing the market for Ross prior to the split.

ROTFLMFAO. Oh is that the reason? Well if the Viscountess Turner wrote it........then it has to be true.

jaybs
12-17-2010, 05:54 AM
It used to be a pain in the night clubs in the UK having to edit out the intro as everyone would leave the dance floor!

marv2
12-17-2010, 09:15 AM
In the United States, the single version began with Jean singing "Stoned Love......" and then proceeds right into the upbeat portion of the song. However, I and many people preferred the song with it's magnificent intro [[they way they always performed it on television and in concert). It was the sweetest sound ever recorded by Motown Records. Check it out and remember.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rglxw5cbZWY

westgrandboulevard
12-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Marv2

Interesting you say that, as I was sure the UK45 here in the UK begins the very same way, that is Jean singing "S.t.o.n.e.d love...", then the drum....as edited down from the longer, LP version.

Have to say I also love Scherrie Payne's soaring voice on the intro whenever I've heard her perform 'Stoned Love'. 'Shivers down the spine' time.

randy_russi
12-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I have to agree about Scherrie singing Stoned Love. She did this with that slow intro on the RTL tour and blew the
roof off the top. And her mic wasn't as loud as it shoud have been; neither was Lynda's, and I know who was
responsible for that.
Scherrie Payne is my favorite non-original Supreme. Great talent with great looks!!!

luke
12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I love Scherrie but I think she oversings Stoned Love. Love Scherrie on Heart do the walking; Jean has a certain finesse that really sells it.

marv2
12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I love Scherrie but I think she oversings Stoned Love. Love Scherrie on Heart do the walking; Jean has a certain finesse that really sells it.

I was just about to say that this song is pure Jean Terrell.... and Mary and Cindy! Scherrie Payne is a good singer, but does not come anywhere near this perfection! LOL! "Let My Heart Do the Walking" was a good Scherrie lead. With Stoned Love , she changes the lyrics and the tempo so drastically that the song is unrecognizable to me after the intro she does.

jillfoster
12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I can't stand to hear Scherrie Payne sing "Stoned Love". I don't think I could ever go to a FLOS concert, I'd embarrass myself. When she stretches out that intro for about 4 minutes, i'd have to heckle her... "Get on with the song, woman!"

Penny
12-18-2010, 12:06 AM
No one can sing Stoned Love like Jean Terrell. I love that song.

captainjames
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I love both versions of the song because they are both Supreme !!! Jean does and excellent job with it and Scherrie is such a powerful singer.

marv2
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I love both versions of the song because they are both Supreme !!! Jean does and excellent job with it and Scherrie is such a powerful singer.

There is only one version. If you are discussing live versions, then I would say Mary Wilson solo does an excellent job with it also. Hers is special because she was on the original recording and sticks to the original lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaE-igyyWU

luke
12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Marv-has Mary sung Stoned Love in recent years; she does do a great job. Did she ever sing Up the Ladder solo or Touch? I think she does Bad Weather now.

miss_lish
12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
does marv EVER attend mary's shows? LOL!

marv2
12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Who are you and what are you talking about?

olamaebarto
12-20-2010, 04:48 PM

Your Mother. LOL!

marv2
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Marv-has Mary sung Stoned Love in recent years; she does do a great job. Did she ever sing Up the Ladder solo or Touch? I think she does Bad Weather now.

She performed it quite often in the 80's and early 90's. I have never heard Mary sing "Touch" in concert, but did hear her do "Up The Ladder to The Roof", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Bad Weather" and a little bit of "Floy Joy" but that was during one of her lectures.

luke
12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks Marv.

marv2
12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks Marv.

You are welcome Luke and Happy Holidays !

smark21
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
She performed it quite often in the 80's and early 90's. I have never heard Mary sing "Touch" in concert, but did hear her do "Up The Ladder to The Roof", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Bad Weather" and a little bit of "Floy Joy" but that was during one of her lectures.

What sort of lecture was she delivering in which a song like Floy Joy would be appropriate? A lecture about good sex?

marv2
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
What sort of lecture was she delivering in which a song like Floy Joy would be appropriate? A lecture about good sex?

No, but that is really funny, HA! Mary Wilson delivers a lecture called "Dare To Dream". It is an inspirational, motivational type lecture focusing on her life as young girl growing up in the ghetto of Detroit and going on to becoming an International superstar with the Supremes. At one of her lectures I attended here in New York, several people during the question and answer portion of the program begged her to sing "Floy Joy" and Reflections". Mary being the super cool person that she is, sang both songs......acapella and it was fantastic!

captainjames
12-20-2010, 10:57 PM
There is only one version. If you are discussing live versions, then I would say Mary Wilson solo does an excellent job with it also. Hers is special because she was on the original recording and sticks to the original lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaE-igyyWU

No No No No that was not good Live !!!!

marv2
12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
No No No No that was not good Live !!!!

It was superb! The audience agrees with me! hehehehehe.......

miss_lish
12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Why is she wearing Miss Ross's gown?

rod_rick
12-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Ms Lish that is not Diana's gown. That's the same gown she wore on Motown Returned to the Apollo. It's also quite revealing.

captainjames
12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
It was superb! The audience agrees with me! hehehehehe.......

Thank GOD we all have our opinions.

marv2
12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Here is the single edit that I remember from radio. It was sped up a bit but still sounded great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-Gqe8yUUI