PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross brings Motown sound to the Benedum Center

test

milven
09-13-2015, 06:57 PM
By Rosa Colucci/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Diana Ross is a superstar. She drew 800,000 people to a concert in Central Park, was the first entertainer to perform at Japan’s Imperial Palace for Empress Nagako, and made the gustiest exit ever from a Super Bowl halftime show when a helicopter landed in the middle of the field to whisk her away.

So, when she says her Benedum Center concert starts at 8 p.m. — you better be on time — because Miss Ross takes the stage at 8 sharp, and then delivers a 90-minute set of straight-up singing and performing that turned the venue into a Motown dance party on Saturday evening.

A few notes of the iconic bass line from “I’m Coming Out” filled the air, and the audience rose to their feet as Ms. Ross floated on stage in a turquoise sequined gown with a floor-length bejeweled tulle wrap. From the very first note, she was in fine voice, and got better as the night progressed.

She sang hit after hit, including some from her days with The Supremes. Hurrying back, after a costume change, wearing a low-cut purple sequined gown with floor-length taffeta wrap, and matching hand-fan, she was drop-dead beautiful while pushing that mane of hair out of the way singing “The Boss.” At that point, the party was in full swing, with ladies dancing in the aisles to “Upside Down” and “Love Hangover,” to name a few.

A gold sequined gown and black hand fan set the mood for “Don’t Explain” a song written by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog, Jr. that Ms. Ross performed to perfection. Her biographical performance portraying the singer in “Lady Sings the Blues” earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress. She melted into the heartbreaking song. “Quiet, don’t explain, What is there to gain? Skip that lipstick, don’t explain.” It was magical.

The mood picked up again with “Why Do Fools Fall in Love?” but this reviewer wishes that she would have spent a more time showing off her chops performing a few more jazz standards.

No night with Diana Ross would be complete without “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” but not before she became a vision in another gown [[this one yellow with crystal trim and matching fan). The audience sang every note to the delight of the performer as she launched into “I Will Survive.” By then, most were standing, and autographs were being signed. At 70, she has been a star for 50 years and is still delighted in her fans.

The encore of “Reach Out and Touch” had Ms. Ross bringing up the house lights. “I’ve been staring at iPhones all night, It is so good to see your smiling faces. You look delightful!” she said as she interacted with audience members. The band jammed, danced, and each member showed their best including the background singers who wailed in three-part harmony, Motown-style. Her grand exit from the stage left the band behind to wrap up the night. Everyone was smiling ear-to-ear, including Bishop Zubik who was seated down front and brought his own kind of soul to the surely-delighted superstar.

Set list

1. “I’m Coming Out”

2. “More Today Than Yesterday” [[The Supremes)

3. “My World Is Empty Without You” [[The Supremes)

4. “Baby Love” [[The Supremes)

5. “Stop! In the Name of Love,” [[The Supremes)

6. “You Can’t Hurry Love” [[The Supremes)

7. “Touch Me in the Morning”

8. “Love Child” [[The Supremes)

9. “The Boss”

10. “Upside Down”

11. “Love Hangover”

12. “Take Me Higher”

13. “Ease on Down the Road” [[Diana Ross and Michael Jackson cover)

14. “Don’t Explain” [[“Lady Sings the Blues”)

15. “Why Do Fools Fall in Love” [[Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)

16. “Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You’re Going To?)”

17. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”

18. “I Will Survive”

Encore:

19. “Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)”

20. “I Will Survive”

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music-reviews/2015/09/13/Diana-Ross-brings-Motown-sound-to-the-Benedum-Center/stories/201509140034

jobeterob
09-13-2015, 07:02 PM
I wonder if All We Do Is Win got thrown in again?

Bluebrock
09-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Sounds like quite a show. I do wish she would dispense with fluff like "i will survive" and "wdffil" and revisit gems like "remember me" "i'm still waiting" "missing you" "surrender" "when you tell me that you love me" etc etc. She wouldn't get away with not performing at least a couple of those if she toured the UK along with "chain reaction" of course.

jobeterob
09-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Sounds like quite a show. I do wish she would dispense with fluff like "i will survive" and "wdffil" and revisit gems like "remember me" "i'm still waiting" "missing you" "surrender" "when you tell me that you love me" etc etc. She wouldn't get away with not performing at least a couple of those if she toured the UK along with "chain reaction" of course.

WDFFIL is one of her most popular songs in concert. You are a fan and us fans would like some of the lesser known songs.

She is still doing All We Do Is Win and did it at this show.

Ollie9
09-14-2015, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bluebrock;300330]Sounds like quite a show. I do wish she would dispense with fluff like "i will survive" and "wdffil" and revisit gems like "remember me" "i'm still waiting" "missing you" "surrender" "when you tell me that you love me" etc etc. She wouldn't get away with not performing at least a couple of those if she toured the UK along with "chain reaction" of course.

I have the feeling that "I Will Survive" will be the last song Diana ever performs once she has decided to hang up those lashes and call it a day. She must love the song a whole lot as it is now performed not once, but twice.
So many critics upon reviewing her concerts have remarked how captivated the audience were when she performs "Don't Explain". Very often citing it as the vocal highlight of the show. Dropping "Survive" and adding just one teensie- weensie jazz song would be such a nice little treat for critics and fans alike.

Bluebrock
09-16-2015, 01:01 PM
WDFFIL is one of her most popular songs in concert. You are a fan and us fans would like some of the lesser known songs.

She is still doing All We Do Is Win and did it at this show.
You are right. It was also one of her biggest hits worldwide and she obviously loves the song but i have never liked it and never will. My problem i guess.

florence
09-16-2015, 01:56 PM
And there we have it - you can't please all of the people all of the timeand we all have differing favourites.

Surprisingly Diana doesn't have that many million-selling singles generally because the records which did well outside the US often didn't sell there. Fools is one however, #1 in The Netherlands and Belgium, top 10 in US and of her top 5 selling singles in the UK. I love it.

If she does ever appear in the UK again she would almost certainly have to have quite a different Set List to he current one.

Sacrilege most of you will cry, but I don't really like her Blues segment and would quite happily see it replaced with Remember Me, When You Tell Me That You Love Me and All Of My Life!

jobeterob
09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
You are right. It was also one of her biggest hits worldwide and she obviously loves the song but i have never liked it and never will. My problem i guess.

Most of us would take Good Morning Heartache or Remember Me as a replacement ~ instantly.

That single and album were huge sellers and the song is fun in concert but not the top of her career, very much like I Will Survive.

jobeterob
09-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Don't Explain is not high on my list of highlights either.

captainjames
09-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Its amazing she is still going strong________________