PDA

View Full Version : Billboard: Aretha Franklin Judge Shows No R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for First Amendment:Analysis

test

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 09:03 AM
On Friday, Aretha Franklin [[http://www.billboard.com/artist/279868/aretha-franklin/chart) succeeded in blocking the concert documentary Amazing Grace from playing on the opening night of the Telluride Film Festival. The legendary singer got so much R.E.S.P.E.C.T. that a federal judge in Colorado didn't even bother in his three-page ruling [[https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2348245-amazing-grace.html) to examine whether the film using Sydney Pollack-shot footage of her 1972 concert performance was privileged under the First Amendment.

We don't typically comment on the wisdom of judges in the cases we cover, but in this instance we'll make an exception because an appellate review is uncertain and the ruling marks a terrible precedent -- one we'd argue is even more dangerous than than the since-reversed 9th Circuit decision last year to allow actress Cindy Lee Garcia to assert a copyright claim on Innocence of Muslims, a film in which she appeared. In that case, Google, Netflix, news organizations, documentary filmmakers and others stood together [[http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/netflix-asks-appellate-court-reconsider-696226) to warn about the ramifications of letting performers have veto rights on downstream distributors. Ultimately, the en banc panel at the 9th Circuit agreed with them in an opinion [[http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/controversial-innocence-muslims-ruling-reversed-796530) that stated "a weak copyright claim cannot justify censorship in the guise of authorship."

At least Garcia had a good theory why she retained copyright on her performance. In the Franklin case, the singer evidently had no plausible claim to owning the footage or else she would have asserted one. Instead, it's pretty clear she did not own rights to Pollack's footage when she agreed to have her concert filmed. Instead, she piggy-backed on a federal anti-bootlegging statute as well as asserting that the Amazing Grace producer had a contractual obligation to get her permission and thus violated her right of publicity when he didn't.

Her publicity rights allow her to protect her name and likeness, but if such a right is unfettered, Franklin could have a judge order this very column to be wiped from the Internet.
What has traditionally stood in the way of those looking to use publicity rights to enjoin creative works is two things. First, state-based publicity rights get preempted by copyright when the rights at issue are deemed within the scope of federal law. The distribution of a performance within a film seems to fit. See how ESPN was able to beat a former professional wrestler's publicity rights claim [[http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/espn-beats-pro-wrestler-dispute-791005) over the rebroadcast of old matches as an example how this works. Second, judicial leeriness on issuing prior restraints on constitutionally-protected speech usually interferes with a preliminary injunction.
Here, the closest that U.S. District John Kane gets to taking on the pertinent issues is by saying that a film that "essentially re-creates the entire concert experience is not fair use of this footage."

Kane comes to this conclusion because he seemingly is distracted by an old quitclaim deed presented by Franklin's attorney that stated that the assignee of footage would need to obtain her authorization. But even if the contract language [[https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2380663-aretha-franklin-quitclaim.html) was unambiguious -- we think there's room for argument over how Franklin's consent is satisfied [[e.g. PRO license?) -- keep in mind that the lawsuit that Franklin brought was not against the producer, but rather against the Telluride Film Festival, which was not party to this contract and has not been alleged to be in prospective breach of it. The analysis should thus be whether the film festival itself can use her name and likeness in the exhibition of a motion picture.
In Colorado, a plaintiff can't prevail on a publicity rights claim if a defendant's use of the plaintiff's name and likeness is privileged under the First Amendment. That much is clear by prior cases. The state's Supreme Court has held [[http://www.cobar.org/opinions/opinion.cfm?opinionid=34&courtid=2) the analysis turns on two issues -- whether the use is primarily commercial or noncommercial and whether such use reasonably relates to a publication concerning a matter that is newsworthy or of legitimate public concern. Feature films are almost always deemed noncommercial [[as opposed to, say, an advertisement) while the public concern of Amazing Grace is a toss-up.

Even if Franklin wins this analysis and shows she has a likelihood of prevailing in her lawsuit, under the proper standard of law, she then needs to demonstrate "irreparable harm" to obtain an injunction. In past court cases, judges have refused to enjoin works even when defamation can be shown [[http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1480747.html) or even when someone's privacy rights are being violated [[http://openjurist.org/898/f2d/56/in-re-king-world-productions-inc-charles-lachman-and-inside-edition-incs). Publicity rights should theoretically evoke an even higher bar because what's being protected is commercial use of their identity.
Franklin asserted that she faced irreparable harm if Amazing Grace was shown at Telluride. The judge appears to have accepted her word without substantial exploration. Why didn't Franklin bring this lawsuit much sooner than the eve of the film festival? After all, she's been threatening it for some time. Why wouldn't monetary damages suffice to compensate her for any injury? Kane is mum on those questions even though it seems quite certain that if she's suffering a commercial injury, the value could be determined at trial. Instead, Kane has opted for the kind of extraordinary injunctive relief that has frequently been slammed by the U.S. Supreme Court. [[Here's one [[https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/423/1327/case.html) of many examples.) Worse, he appears to shift the burden to the defendant. "The balance of the equities weighs in favor of Ms. Franklin," writes the judge. "The Film Festival [[and Mr. Elliot [the producer]) could have clarified their claimed right to release this footage well in advance of this showing."

Judge Kane has done a disservice by issuing a hasty ruling on a last-minute injunction bid — telling THR that this one was an easy call [[http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/aretha-franklin-granted-injunction-stop-820609) because producer Alan Elliott needed Franklin's permission. Except that's not what he was being asked to adjudicate! Elliot wasn't the defendant after all. Instead, film festivals [[and distributors and news organizations) now have to worry about prior restraints on use of a celebrity's likeness and name. And sorry, Aretha, but this is hardly good news for artists who often use the names and likenesses of other artists in their creative endeavors. If she had made a deal that gave her the copyright on the footage -- meaning the ability to control reproduction and distribution -- that would be one thing; Here, she's attempting the ride the same vehicle that Lindsay Lohan attempted to use [[http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/lindsay-lohan-loses-lawsuit-pitbull-423228) to stop a Pitbull song that mentioned her.
Telluride is now over, and the film festival might not have the financial incentive to pursue this one up to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. Meanwhile, Amazing Grace has been pulled from the Chicago Film Festival and withdrawn from the Toronto International Film Festival. We think it's a decent bet that eventually, Elliot and Franklin will be able to resolve their differences through a settlement. Unfortunately, that will hardly be a saving grace as the stink of this ruling may long outlive the public interest in this particular film.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6686076/aretha-franklin-toronto-telluride-legal-analysis

jobeterob
09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
$$$$$ will solve it?

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 11:39 AM
$$$$$ will solve it?

That's my gue$$

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 11:53 AM
That's my gue$$

Aretha'$ been known to $hoot her$elf in the foot in matter$ $uch as thi$; I hope it doe$ not end up a loo$er for all of u$.

jobeterob
09-09-2015, 12:47 PM
This is a technical legal matter. But it is also just an injunction. They are often granted to avoid damages prior to any final resolution of the issue. My thought is if the shows go ahead, if Ms. Franklin has a legitimate claim, if the show concludes, she has no chance. That might be why they granted the injunction. It does not mean they've adjudicated the claim.

carlo
09-09-2015, 01:04 PM
There is also a thread on the film here:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?15160-Amazing-Grace-The-Tortured-4-Decade-History-of-the-Aretha-Franklin-Film

carlo
09-09-2015, 01:08 PM
I don't work in the legal field, so I may not have the best understanding of the topics being discussed. However, what I don't get is why films are not deemed as "commercial-use" in the States? I get that the purpose of the film itself is for artistic consumption, but there is still monetary gain resulting from the release of a film and its subsequent physical release on DVD, etc. In this case, the documentary would also be an indirect advertisement for the CD release of "Amazing Grace".

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I don't work in the legal field, so I may not have the best understanding of the topics being discussed. However, what I don't get is why films are not deemed as "commercial-use" in the States? I get that the purpose of the film itself is for artistic consumption, but there is still monetary gain resulting from the release of a film and its subsequent physical release on DVD, etc. In this case, the documentary would also be an indirect advertisement for the CD release of "Amazing Grace".

It's [[as per JobeteRob as well as Billboard) a bit of a head-spinner to non-attorneys such as myself, but what I gather is that Ms. Franklin has been able to stop the film from being shown due to the fact that it is 1) primarily her being featured in the film, and 2) the contracts as they exist should [[she thinks) contain her permission to screen the film. Yet I still feel, as per my silly post, that it's really a money issue. The "commercial-use" terminology I can't understand either ...

jobeterob
09-09-2015, 04:52 PM
It's all about money. Ms. Franklin is purported to have a lot less money than she should have - high spending, sales that never were so through the roof, fear of flying kept the touring money down. But secondly, her strong feeling that she owns everything to do with her, she can control and comment on it and everything surrounding that. And hey, why not? She's accomplished some amazing things in a life that should have been a total disaster starting with having children at 13.

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
It's all about money. Ms. Franklin is purported to have a lot less money than she should have - high spending, sales that never were so through the roof, fear of flying kept the touring money down. But secondly, her strong feeling that she owns everything to do with her, she can control and comment on it and everything surrounding that. And hey, why not? She's accomplished some amazing things in a life that should have been a total disaster starting with having children at 13.

All true, but the children comment is a tad - unnecessary. I also feel that a LOT of the performers we love support large, extended families without our knowledge. But I have to say I do empathize with Ms. Franklin to a degree. Some are lucky to have the innate knowledge to "do something" about the $; most don't. Anyway I hope there is an agreement and we get to see [[and buy copies of) this truly legendary moment in time.

Guy
09-09-2015, 08:18 PM
All true, but the children comment is a tad - unnecessary. I also feel that a LOT of the performers we love support large, extended families without our knowledge. But I have to say I do empathize with Ms. Franklin to a degree. Some are lucky to have the innate knowledge to "do something" about the $; most don't. Anyway I hope there is an agreement and we get to see [[and buy copies of) this truly legendary moment in time.

I think noting that Aretha first became a mother at 13 [[or 14) is pertinent to acknowledging the extraordinary course her life has taken. Certainly, she is an extraordinary talent but she has also endured personal and professional trials and tribulations that HAVE probably killed other people. Many of them peers and colleagues with whom she's crossed paths at various points in her storied career. Seeing her look and sound so good in L.A. last month is nearly a miracle considering how many points at which her life and career could have derailed.

RobertZ
09-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I think noting that Aretha first became a mother at 13 [[or 14) is pertinent to acknowledging the extraordinary course her life has taken. Certainly, she is an extraordinary talent but she has also endured personal and professional trials and tribulations that HAVE probably killed other people. Many of them peers and colleagues with whom she's crossed paths at various points in her storied career. Seeing her look and sound so good in L.A. last month is nearly a miracle considering how many points at which her life and career could have derailed.

I guess my thought is that since Ms. Franklin has chosen to keep her children largely out of the limelight we should honor that request. Additionally it could be argued that the age at which one bears children may be a cultural issue. Anyway I am an Aretha-holic and perhaps just protecting her a tad! She has never failed to thrill me in concert and I appreciate her diction and dignity during interviews. The world, and especially America, is better because of her existence.

Guy
09-09-2015, 09:55 PM
She has never failed to thrill me in concert and I appreciate her diction and dignity during interviews. The world, and especially America, is better because of her existence.

Agree 100%, RobertZ. I, too, am always impressed by her thoughtful manner of expression and her choice of words. I've heard others comment that her comportment and speech is too mannered and put-on, but I've always appreciated the attention and care she pays to how she speaks. And she's always careful to ascribe the proper respect and dignity to events and figures of note. Sometimes I think Aretha wishes to obscure personal things that she may consider flaws or because they are inconsistent with the image that she desires to project to the world. But it is those very things that make her awe-inspiring and causes her fans to adore her so fervently [[beyond just her artistry). I take it as a personal lesson.

I hope we get to see the "Amazing Grace" performance/documentary one day.

jobeterob
09-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Not living near Detroit, I've never had a chance to see her. But I go on Youtube all the time and play I Say A Little Prayer from the Cliff Richard Show.

The fact she had those children so early merely makes her all the more remarkable. Who else had a child at 13 and accomplished so much in a music career?

One more immodest remark I will make about her that also makes her all the more remarkable is the astonishing weight she carried for many years which she still bears the marks of. Again, who else lived til 71 after weighing 300 pounds?

These may be sensitive comments. But the lady is also a remarkable public figure.

Gonna duck here for a bit.

RobertZ
09-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Not living near Detroit, I've never had a chance to see her. But I go on Youtube all the time and play I Say A Little Prayer from the Cliff Richard Show.

The fact she had those children so early merely makes her all the more remarkable. Who else had a child at 13 and accomplished so much in a music career?

One more immodest remark I will make about her that also makes her all the more remarkable is the astonishing weight she carried for many years which she still bears the marks of. Again, who else lived til 71 after weighing 300 pounds?

These may be sensitive comments. But the lady is also a remarkable public figure.

Gonna duck here for a bit.

No need to duck; I simply clutch my pearls and gasp. I believe that on the Queen Latifah interview Gladys Knight mentioned being married at 15 - so I think mayhaps the child at 13 is not quite unheard of [[other than the fact that we have not ... heard of ....) Quite possible some older country stars would be able to join that club as well -