PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Hip-O Select?

test

antceleb12
09-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Okay, here comes the upteenth thread about the vaguely obsolete Hip-O website.

As we all know, Hip-O has stalled in recent months. In vain, I checked again today to see if anything might be in the works, but all I got was a white screen saying "Under Construction."

http://www.hip-oselect.com/

I'm taking it as a sign that this means that Hip-O is, in fact, not dead and that something might be in the works soon? I've been out of the loop for a while now, so if there's something I'm missing, please let me know! Thanks!

soulster
09-03-2015, 03:18 AM
We must have patience. Record companies move at a glacier's pace. Things are always changing, people move to new responsibilities, labels are broken up and consolidated, different regimes have different ideas on how things should go...

lakedistrictlad1
09-03-2015, 05:10 AM
As far as the Motown part of Hip-O goes, I just hope the stalling is because they are talking to ACE.

Bluebrock
09-03-2015, 05:29 AM
Okay, here comes the upteenth thread about the vaguely obsolete Hip-O website.

As we all know, Hip-O has stalled in recent months. In vain, I checked again today to see if anything might be in the works, but all I got was a white screen saying "Under Construction."

http://www.hip-oselect.com/

I'm taking it as a sign that this means that Hip-O is, in fact, not dead and that something might be in the works soon? I've been out of the loop for a while now, so if there's something I'm missing, please let me know! Thanks!

I have sent a couple of e-mails to them over the past few months but received no response to either. In fairness to them they usually did eventually respond to my e-mails in the past so the current silence does not bode well in my opinion. I do hope I am wrong because I miss their beautifully mastered cds and of course the wonderfully informative cd booklets that came with them.

Bokiluis
09-03-2015, 05:55 AM
The new regime that took over, most from BMG, while Doug Morris, formerly of UMG, is now at Sony. [[Prior to this there was a temporary deal forming Sony/BMG). The regime switch between UMG execs vs. Sony [[formerly Sony/BMG) was one of the weirdest swaps of execs in the music business. It has been ample time for Barry Weiss, head of UMG, to evaluate the various label properties at UMG. The silence doesn't bode well for things to continue as we have known. So it's either a major overall [[hence the "under construction" sign) or a dissolving of certain businesses [[hence also the "under construction" sign). Doesn't look good from my vantage point.

Bluebrock
09-03-2015, 07:13 AM
As far as the Motown part of Hip-O goes, I just hope the stalling is because they are talking to ACE.

I have also heard this soulster. I first heard it several months back but so far nothing has happened. Ace do a wonderful job with their product so we can only keep our fingers crossed.

alanbill1074
09-03-2015, 01:31 PM
I really wish that instead of the Copa, which I think didn't help the cause at all, we'd have had a physical Baby It's Me before it all went to pot.

Alas I think decent physical catalogue releases are done, and Hipo certainly is.

jobeterob
09-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I really wish that instead of the Copa, which I think didn't help the cause at all, we'd have had a physical Baby It's Me before it all went to pot.

Alas I think decent physical catalogue releases are done, and Hipo certainly is.

Yes, it's too bad. The world has changed and it's hard for us to like these changes.

Cadeho
12-15-2015, 04:06 PM
This is my first post since July. I am catching up from then. I am not sure if it's been reported yet as I am on page 10, but it looks like hiposelect and motownselect are gone and redirect to Universal's page. RIP.

jobeterob
12-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Definitely looks like it's gone.

mysterysinger
12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Yet we should be very thankful for what we got and for all the hard work that went into providing it. I know I am - and my collection is by far the richer because of Hip-O-Select.