PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow [[BEEHIVE!)

test

marv2
08-26-2015, 02:28 PM
The multi-talented [[and always gorgeous!) Motown Diva Mary Wilson performs the classic "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King and originally recorded and made famous by the Shirelles, Mary gives her own coy, yet powerful rendering of the song here in the stage play "Beehive".

Beehive, a very popular touring stage play which toured successfully across Canada in 1988 before dropping below the border to the United States for another successful run! It was a fun show packed with very talented ladies performing with Mary Wilson headlining. For those that missed it the first time, give a listen. For those that were lucky enough to catch like my family did, enjoy the memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ij6MTdNDA

antceleb12
08-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Stunning! I love this rendition. Mary's voice is powerful as ever, the harmonies are great, and I love the key change.

The wigs, however, look like space cotton candy - yuck!

milven
08-26-2015, 07:42 PM
The wigs, however, look like space cotton candy - yuck!

Actually, they look like beehives. :D They are in costume for Beehive. I love the Shirelles' song Will You Love Me Tomorrow and only like a few other renditions of it - all different from the Shirelles.

So I was set to not like this rendition when I opened the thread. But I like Mary's interpretation of it a lot as a slowed down ballad.

Bluebrock
08-27-2015, 04:28 AM
Doesn't Mary look hot here? It's not my favourite performance if I am to be honest but respect to Mary for putting a new slant on an old favourite.

Ollie9
08-27-2015, 05:19 AM
With the right material Mary is in a class of her own. That breathy, rich tone she has is tailor made for poignant ballads such as this.
A Mary's "Tribute To The Girls" cd would be a fine thing to own.

REDHOT
08-27-2015, 05:26 AM
Loved It,Mary Wilson from back in the day,singing Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow,Thanks for postin' this Marv.

luke
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Well said Ollie. Thanks Marv!And great idea. Bette scored and Supreme Mary could too! Let's pick some songs!

marv2
08-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Well said Ollie. Thanks Marv!And great idea. Bette scored and Supreme Mary could too! Let's pick some songs!

Your welcome Luke and Mary would be a natural to record a tribute to the girls since she did sponsor the Girl Group stamp collections.

marv2
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
I want to hear Mary sing and record "Anyone Who Had A Heart".

thanxal
08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
When was this recorded? Mary Wilson sounds just unbelievable in this. She really proves she deserves/d to be in not only a girl group, but THE girl group.

marv2
08-27-2015, 05:14 PM
When was this recorded? Mary Wilson sounds just unbelievable in this. She really proves she deserves/d to be in not only a girl group, but THE girl group.

This was around October 1988.

detmotownguy
08-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah the Sups were THE girl group! When Mary sings these type of songs nobody can come close to her talent.

marv2
08-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah the Sups were THE girl group! When Mary sings these type of songs nobody can come close to her talent.

I saw the play "Beehive" in the Fall of 1988 at Stage West in Windsor, ON. Mary did a solo that included a dialogue about the 60s and a spellbinding , slowed down rendition of "The Beat Goes On". It was incredible and she received a standing ovation.

luke
08-27-2015, 11:27 PM
How bout First Time Ever I Saw Your Face? Would to love to hear her do Anyone who had.....

marv2
08-28-2015, 12:18 AM
How bout First Time Ever I Saw Your Face? Would to love to hear her do Anyone who had.....

That would be amazing. The song is perfect for Mary's style. I always wanted to here her sing "Misty Blue" made famous by Dorothy Moore.

Ollie9
08-28-2015, 04:26 AM
I would be more then happy to hear Mary cover any of the songs off the first three albums by M's Flack. Despite the trends of the time, that is the kind of album she should have made way back in 79 instead of being made to sing the disco fluff that filled out that debut set. Perhaps Motown were concerned that such an album might have been just a little to well received by the media......But thats another topic.
If Mary were making a "Tribute To The Girls cd, one song i think she could do more then justice to would be Diana's "I thought That We Were Still In Love". I 'm sure she could really nail the song in concert. A jazz version of Skylark would also be rather nice.

Bluebrock
08-28-2015, 06:06 AM
I would be more then happy to hear Mary cover any of the songs off the first three albums by M's Flack. Despite the trends of the time, that is the kind of album she should have made way back in 79 instead of being made to sing the disco fluff that filled out that debut set. Perhaps Motown were concerned that such an album might have been just a little to well received by the media......But thats another topic.
If Mary were making a "Tribute To The Girls cd, one song i think she could do more then justice to would be Diana's "I thought That We Were Still In Love". I 'm sure she could really nail the song in concert. A jazz version of Skylark would also be rather nice.

Totally agree Ollie. Mary's solo album was most unworthy of her. No amount of promotion could have got that turkey off the ground. Motown did her a major disservice . Instead she should have been given some quality ballads to tackle. It was a missed opportunity and sadly as a result Mary's solo recording career never got out of first gear. She was capable of doing great things. Very sad.

luke
08-28-2015, 07:57 AM
True true true. Neither One of us....