PDA

View Full Version : George McGregor RIP

test

theboyfromxtown
08-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Ruby Andrews-Lester has posted this tragic news on Facebook

JUST GOT WORD FROM GEORGE McGREGOR'S BROTHER, BILLY McGREGOR, THAT GEORGE HAS PASSED AWAY. GEORGE PRODUCED MY ALBUM, "GENUINE RUBY", IN DETROIT, MICH. ALONG WITH RON DUNBAR. GEORGE WAS ALSO A DRUMMER. WORKED WITH ED WINGATE, DON DAVIS TRIO, AND MANY OTHERS INCLUDING PAT LEWIS, GEORGE CLINTON, CODY BLACK, AND A HOST OF OTHERS, TOO MANY TO MENTION HERE. REST IN PEACE GEORGE, YOU AND MARGIE ARE TOGETHER NOW, MAY YOU BOTH REST IN PEACE....

bradburger
08-23-2015, 08:18 AM
How very sad.

Of course, he used to post on here.

A very talented drummer & producer.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Cheers

Paul

ralpht
08-23-2015, 11:33 AM
John,
I am really sorry to learn this. George and I stayed in touch over the years. He was having health problems for a while. I last spoke with him about three months ago. He told me then that he wasn't doing well.

Last week John Rhys called to tell me he tried to call George and got a discontinued service message. I was going to call
Ed Wolfrom, because he and George were close, to see if he knew anything.

George was an amazing talent. His depth of music was, at times, never completely recognized, but his status in the Detroit music scene is every bit as equal to any of the Funk Brothers and a host of producers. Rest well George. You did good.

robb_k
08-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear this. George was one of the great Detroit independent producers, and one of the great drummers.

dennis_coffey
08-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear this. Mike Theodore and I used George on a lot of sessions back in the day.

daviddesper
08-23-2015, 11:21 PM
I am not familiar with this gentleman, but I do very much admire Miss Ruby herself, so if he worked with her to produce some of her great music, then he must have been the best. My condolences to Ruby and to others who personally knew him.

snakepit
08-24-2015, 07:22 PM
A tribute some of George McGregor's work on my radio show "Soulful shack" next week

www.fcumradio.co.uk
sat/sun 29/30 August 20.00
mon 31/8 tue/1/9 17.00

ralpht
08-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Way to go, Snake. I like it.

snakepit
08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
To be honest Ralph, George probably features most weeks as I play a lot of 60s Detroit and he was involved in so many wonderful tracks.