08-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Do you remember when people used to get 'dressed up' to:
Fly
go to the movies
doctor's appointments
shopping
restaurants
church
and many more.....I was at a high-end restaurant the other day and I noticed people wandering in in shorts and flip flops...of course, 'texting' the whole time and didn't even look up when they were seated. I know I'm 'dating' myself here....but, wow, what a changing world. Not that I want to be wearing ties for a Dr. apt! I worked in a hospital setting for 36 years and the last few years, I noticed doctors coming in to see patients in shorts, jeans and T-shirts, esp. on the week-ends. I thought that was a bit unprofessional. Oh well....the world rolls on. LOL

arr&bee
08-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Blueskies, you're preaching to the choir,the good old days,when stores actually closed on sunday,heck even the drunks would sober up[some-hehe]on sunday and put on a clean shirt when little girls wore easter dresses on easter when sunday was such a respected day that even as a teen my dear mom[god bless all those wonderful mothers]would give a hard look if i tried to go out looking like a[bum]her term,heck i remember my father coming to the pta meeetings with a shirt and tie on as most did back then,hey blueskies remember having to change into your[play]clothes after school?and getting dressed when company came over[ i hated company-hehe]yes i truly remember and miss those golden days...great post!!

Methuselah2
08-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Great thread, Blueskies. It's impossible not to have noticed the change in attire for going out. It does look way beyond casual but it's really just a sign of the times and what's being done. It certainly looks weird in comparison to earlier times but the focus today simply seems to be on being comfortable when dressed, no matter where. And just about anything is now acceptable. It's jarring at times but it is what it is. Some people still dress up to go out anywhere; others, not even close. But the choice is up to them and that, in itself, is probably a good thing. [[And don't say nothin' bad about my flip-flops. LOL.)

And Arr&bee - Changing into play clothes after school!! Oh gosh, what a blast from the past! It was so true. All too true.

Methuselah2
08-19-2015, 03:41 PM
P.S. The non-stop phone stuff is truly too much. I often don't get people. Who does?! People turn on their phones in the middle of a movie and even if they're not speaking, it's like turning on a flashlight in the theatre. Yikes. Going to the movies, for many reasons, sure ain't like what it once was.

The clothes stuff I can cope with because it doesn't involve me. But some of the other stuff that people do, which is inconsiderate of others, is hard to take. The days of manners, in many respects, seem to have vanished.

144man
08-19-2015, 03:45 PM
I've never seen the point of ties, stupid unfunctional strips of cloth that don't even look good when the wind blows them over your shoulder.

I once closed the safe at work on my tie, and nearly choked myself when I tried to stand up. The only way I could get free was to reveal the combination to a colleague as I couldn't move far enough to see to unlock it by myself.

Understandably, I only ever wear a tie now on the most formal of occasions.

Methuselah2
08-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Neckties have always been a hassle for me and a lot more trouble than they're worth, 144man. But I must admit--they do spruce things up but that might just be due to what I'm used to from early childhood. Actually, I'm fine with a necktie . . . and my flip-flops on! A fashion risk--but it could work. [[Just keep the getaway car revved up.)

arr&bee
08-19-2015, 04:10 PM
i've never seen the point of ties, stupid unfunctional strips of cloth that don't even look good when the wind blows them over your shoulder.

I once closed the safe at work on my tie, and nearly choked myself when i tried to stand up. The only way i could get free was to reveal the combination to a colleague as i couldn't move far enough to see to unlock it by myself.

Understandably, i only ever wear a tie now on the most formal of occasions.haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. .144 you're a riot,i'm sorry that you almost choked but that scence could be in comedy.

blueskies
08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Ties.....who owns ties? LOL I never dressed up to go to the movies as a kid. I was from a one horse town that was one notch above showing movies on a sheet.

Jerry Oz
08-19-2015, 05:24 PM
I still walk on the street side of female companions although that is obviously not something that is considered appropriate anymore. I open doors for women, even when I have to wait a few seconds for them to catch up [[and knowing that they're going to beat me to the service desk). It was only recently that I stopped taking my hats or caps off in elevators because I was often the only one in a crowd who did.

I'm not sure how it is across the pond but civility and what used to be known as social manners has all but evaporated in the US.

As far as attire, I'm wondering more and more why men and women dress so differently. Men's suits seem to be overly designed for the purpose they serve and dresses are curious. I love legs but I can't discern why fashion has evolved into 'menswear' and 'ladieswear'. I guess it's the human version of plumage.

http://andrews-md.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facial-rejuvination-3.png

When I entered management 35 years ago, I was required to wear a tie at all places in the warehouse. Soon after, ties were forbidden. I suppose somebody had his tie caught in a conveyor and was either throttled or had a scare that forced the company to reconsider whether they wanted to present that image for managers.

MotownSteve
08-19-2015, 05:26 PM
A few years ago a group of us were at a Cheesecake Factory. At the next table there was a middle aged couple with a young boy who appeared to be their son. The twist was that he sat there silently while the two 'adults' played with their cell phones.

blueskies
08-19-2015, 05:45 PM
A few years ago a group of us were at a Cheesecake Factory. At the next table there was a middle aged couple with a young boy who appeared to be their son. The twist was that he sat there silently while the two 'adults' played with their cell phones.
Interesting observation. So often [[lately), I've seen whole families come into restaurants and everyone has a phone....no one looks up except to order....no one talks during the entire meal as they're too busing reading/texting. Maybe they're 'texting' each other at the table?? LOL Kind of sad communication has broken down to this degree. I keep my phone in my pocket....turned OFF during social interactions/restaurants, etc.. I've even seen people on dates spend the whole time on their phones. No wonder social skills have gone into the crapper.

Doug-Morgan
08-19-2015, 06:29 PM
When I'm working in supermarkets [[I'm a merchandiser) I use the store's electric carts because of my stroke. I don't know how many times I've come close to running over people because their eyes are glued to their cell phones and not where they're going.

But to get back to topic, I don't completely understand "casual" dining. There is something wrong with eating a $20 dollar steak while wearing a t-shirt, in the same way there's something wrong about having the same steak delivered by a waitress in a tanktop and shorts, as if every dining establishment had become Hooters.

westgrandboulevard
08-19-2015, 07:25 PM
While people have never been so well fed, there seems to be a trend that very few wish to make any form of personal statement of simple elegance with their outward appearance.

As a result, very few wish to stand out from the crowd. They wish to present a uniform appearance, by 'dressing down'. The result is that, as individuals, they 'disappear'.

It has never been easier to present an attractive appearance and personality, simply by dressing 'smart casual' [[unless a different style is more appropriate for the occasion), and using some colour co-ordination, and then some personal touches.

It is not necessarily an expensive exercise, just one which requires some thought.

Making an effort with one's appearance offers a compliment to complete strangers, who may possibly be impressed with just one glance.

It is very much a compliment to the special people already in one's life, in return for the interest, attention and support which they are so willing to give.

Most important of all, it is certainly a distinct boost to one's own spirits.

Happy, confident people attract other happy, confident people.;)

arr&bee
08-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Remember when all us kids said[yessir-yesma'am]to all adults?

Jerry Oz
08-20-2015, 01:43 AM
In my last year working [[I quit in May 2014), I began wearing shirts with collars again. Business casual had somehow devolved from golf shirts and slacks to blue jeans and printed tee shirts in my workplace and I stupidly followed the trend.

I was the only manager at my level with previous experience and I will never know why the bosses let it go. At some point, my opinion of myself shamed me into thinking that a visitor to the facility should easily be able to distinguish who among a group of employees was the boss. God bless my former co-workers, but I had to be who I was trained to be.

splanky
08-20-2015, 06:10 AM
Never really got "dressed up" to go to non-formal events but I do get your point...The world
and it's cultures and values change and I can live with it for the most part. Still I remember
when the only people with full body, even full limb tattoos were carnival workers...when people you met with shoulder to waist length dreadlocks, it was their REAL hair...when the only
time you saw somebody's ass crack it was the plumber...when women who were not blessed
with big round booties just accepted the fact ! And I'm still bothered by pants on the ground...

westgrandboulevard
08-20-2015, 11:38 AM
While we're on this subject...it's not only changes in personal appearance and dress, but general conduct and manners.

a)When people are sat in conversation, it is now often the case that anyone sat nearby can clearly hear every word.

b) When someone wishes to speak to a colleague at work, instead of approaching them and having a discreet conversation, they tend to stand on the spot and simply raise their voice to gain attention.

c) Staff in supermarkets and similar outlets will often greet customers with "Hiya!!!" - sometimes with the addition of 'mate'...then chat to each other as they process the customer's purchases.

d) when the transaction is complete, the member of staff will often cry "There you go!!", or "No probs!!"

e) Covering the mouth when yawning in public now seems to be obsolete.

f) Withdrawing to a cloakroom to check and reapply makeup, now seems to be obsolete.

g) Conversation is often interrupted by loud attempts to clear sinuses with noisy sniffs and snorts.

h) The incidence of spitting in public places seems to be on the increase.

i) Staff in banks working on solid floors, who march mechanically up and down, disregarding a line of customers waiting for service, seemingly in an attempt to make the maximum amount of noise with their footsteps...and who will then refer you to a self-service dispenser.

j) A group of three staff, stood behind a desk, staring, seemingly totally bemused, at a computer screen. One will eventually look up and say very brightly "Can I help you??"...and then say "Oh! You need to pay at the customer point just over there!". They then resume their silent vigil at the computer terminal.

k)Messages broadcast to shoppers from the customer service desk inside a supermarket, which are completely unintelligible.

l) Self service machines which constantly exclaim "Unexpected item in bagging area", or messages on screen advising "call staff member for assistance".

No wonder online business is booming.....:[[

soulster
08-20-2015, 11:51 AM
You guys are old! What am I even doing here?

blueskies
08-20-2015, 12:50 PM
You guys are old! What am I even doing here?

Leave my bedpan out of this!

Jerry Oz
08-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Two more points:
1. Who should thank whom after payment is made at the grocery store? Cashiers seem to think they are doing us a favor by chewing gum and failing to either look us in the eye out acknowledge that they owe their paychecks to us.
2. When leaving a message on voice mail or answering machine, give the listener a heads up that a phone number is coming. I sometimes listen to two minute messages when a phone number is suddenly blurted out so fast that I can't tell the numbers. So I have to listen to the whole thing over, hoping that I'll understand it the second time. Here's a hint: If you want me to return your call, make it easier by slowly and clearly pronouncing the numbers. Also, don't cram five minutes of a message into a one-minute voice mail.

westgrandboulevard
08-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Jerry, you can certainly add those two points to my own list.....

Point two is particularly pertinent to those who have some degree of hearing disability, and even more so if they are of advancing years, and may struggle to absorb several replays of the phone message....

Methuselah2
08-20-2015, 02:20 PM
I've never been able to comprehend how people who leave phone numbers at break-neck speed on answering devices do so when the whole intent is for them to receive a callback from you, yet they make it so difficult to do so. Repeated playings of the message is always necessitated for me--but by the the second re-play, I'm ready to call it quits. When I do reach the person I'm calling back, the difficulty in doing so is the first thing I mention. I can't say if it produces any effective change but it's the only thing one can do, I suppose. But this problem has been going on since answering machines first appeared, and it still exists.

[[I you ever need to call someone for assistance, call WGB. He'll readily give the person a piece of his mind--although not a piece of the ever-present Cadbury bar that's in his hand. You can also try Blueskies--he'll fling a flip-flop at the person so fast they won't know what hit 'em. SDF members you can count on.)

westgrandboulevard
08-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Well, if anyone calls me, they'd best be prepared to leave a message. Even if I'm at home, I don't answer if I don't recognise the number. Too many telesales calls - and anyway, I am far too busy on this forum, for a start! Or perhaps I should try that old trick of Greta Garbo. Answer, but say nothing until someone speaks.. and then decide if a conversation will take place...:confused:

Here's another one for the list....

Buy something, anything, in some stores, and the person who takes your money will want to remind you of their name, in the hope you will immediately enter complimentary details about their response to you, as a customer that day, in an online survey as shown on your receipt. The 'short' survey will take just a few minutes, it will promise, while providing the inducement of a big prize.

Despite an undisclosed number of people taking part in the survey, there never seems to be convincing evidence of even one of them actually winning a prize.

If it suits me to return to a store, then I do - which should serve them well enough as a testimonial of my satisfaction. Why can't the staff members simply be allowed to do the job for which they are being paid...and let someone else in the company take some [[paid) time to assess the performance of the staff?

Methuselah2
08-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Which reminds me--

Is it really necessary when you leave money for the meal in a folder/booklet given to you by the wait staff to be asked if you want change? The wait staff should really not ask that question and if they want to assume anything, assume that the customer does want change. The customer can decide to say that everything's set and no change needed. But for the customer to be asked for what's due back? I never appreciate that one.

Of a more problematic nature--

Let's say the bill for the meal is $17.65. You leave a $20 bill for the waiter, expecting $2.35 change. But instead, the waiter brings you $2. Totally unacceptable. It is acceptable for the waiter to round-off the change amount--but only if the rounding-off is at the advantage of the customer. In my example, rounding-off to $3 as the change is what can be done if the waiter wants to round-off. Rounding-off to the advantage of the restaurant [[$2) is categorically inappropriate--alright, I'll say it: It's wrong. I know the 35 cents is a very minimal amount--but the amount is inconsequential. Rounding-off to the advantage of the restaurant--no matter how small the amount might be--amounts simply to one thing: Over-charging the customer. If I appreciated the service, it'll be reflected in the tip and in my parting remark to the waiter. For the waiter to take out more for their own convenience or for the restaurant's? Forget it.

arr&bee
08-20-2015, 06:26 PM
That would never happen at...greasy grady's,hehehehehehe!!!

Jerry Oz
08-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Another phone message pet peeve:
If you leave a message requesting a callback, give me some idea of what you want. I can save time by preparing for the return call. And if it's a family member who seldom calls, I also might avoid an anxiety attack from worrying if it's bad news.

soulster
08-21-2015, 12:38 AM
I've never been able to comprehend how people who leave phone numbers at break-neck speed on answering devices

I think people do that to make sure it all gets in there. Some of the times to leave a message are so short that you have to talk fast.

I always tell people that it's easier to text me. That way, they can be sure i'll get their message.

arr&bee
08-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,remember sending our dress shoes to the shop for[heels -halfsoles]does anybody wear dress shoes anymore???

Methuselah2
08-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Arr&bee - If you're going to wear a dress, you should wear heels, too!

arr&bee
08-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Heheheheheheheehhehehe.......

westgrandboulevard
08-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have clothes kept 'for best' [[Sunday, or otherwise), anymore?

blueskies
08-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have clothes kept 'for best' [[Sunday, or otherwise), anymore?

Mine are more or less.....one outfit fits all occasions! LOL I have things in my closet that might be bordering on 'antique'? I was relieved I didn't fine any polyester 'leisure suits'!
I did have a lens fall out of my glasses last week. I thought, oh, I've saved another pair and finally did fine them. I had to wear them out at the last minute to a luncheon until I could get to the optic center. OMG....they looked like aviator glasses! Thankfully, my friends have a sense of humor, but I did get some odd looks. I can't imagine wearing such huge frames....guess it was the 'style' back in the day. I should have had the brown polyester leisure suit to complete the look. I think my friends would have lost their humor at that point!
http://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/6216446/il_570xN.447584260_dgfb.jpg

westgrandboulevard
08-21-2015, 03:42 PM
I have a few clothes which I'm keeping for best.

Translation : for when I lose a bit of weight.....:rolleyes:

blueskies
08-21-2015, 05:30 PM
I have a few clothes which I'm keeping for best.

Translation : for when I lose a bit of weight.....:rolleyes:

I think ALL my clothes fall into that category.

Methuselah2
08-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Stretch knit. It might not breathe but it gives.

[[Does this thread make my thighs look big?)

westgrandboulevard
08-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Let's just call it close knit,with thighs of relief.

Methuselah2
08-21-2015, 07:25 PM
That's a hoot! Very, very funny.

Jerry Oz
08-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Going back to the original post: Remember when anybody in the neighborhood who saw a kid doing something wrong [[smoking, fighting, throwing rocks at passing cars, etc.) could either chastise the kid or call his parents [[because everybody knew everybody in the neighborhood back then) without the parents going crazy and wanting to fight the 'nosey' neighbor for not minding his own business? I knew better than to mess up anywhere in a three block radius of my house because my folks would find out.

Seems like nowadays, if you try to stop a kid from running at [[literally) breakneck speed in a grocery store, his mom will swear at you like she's a drunken sailor. You're probably lucky if she doesn't call store security and threaten to sue you if you touched the brat.

arr&bee
08-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Jerry,you're right on point,back in the day you didn't cut up in da hood,but now, if you catch one of the little cutups cutting up and say anything ,you might get cut...something got terribly lost over the years.

arr&bee
08-22-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna take ya'll way back now...remember when the cop would actually walk his beat and we kids would be glad to see him?

Methuselah2
08-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Remember when you went out at night and didn't worry about what might happen on the way home?

Jerry Oz
08-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Hah! I paid for a grocery order with cash one day in the past year and the cashier smiled and told me I was the first person to do so. It was after 7:00 PM.

Methuselah2
08-23-2015, 12:27 AM
I think things changed for the worse in the very early 60s when there were reports of Halloween Trick-or-Treaters getting apples with razor blades hidden in them. I've never forgotten hearing about that.

arr&bee
08-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Remember leaving your back door open in summer and not giving it a second thought.

blueskies
08-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Remember leaving your back door open in summer and not giving it a second thought.
I remember as a kid, someone accidently locked the doors one night and in the morning, my parents were upset someone locked the doors [[like it was a crime)! My, how times have changed.

westgrandboulevard
08-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Blueskies.....you're quite right, times have certainly changed, as [[sigh...) they must....

This is a really interesting 'walking down memory lane' thread, reflecting on just how much times have changed......and we're all here, expressing how we feel that it has not all been for the better.

Maybe you might consider starting a 'sister' thread, to run alongside this one, but on the lines of 'Remember how things are better now...' - ?

The responses, taken from a different view, could be just as interesting :)

Methuselah2
08-23-2015, 03:08 PM
That's an interesting suggestion, WGB. But besides the Internet and access to it, Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream, and, of course, control-top pantyhose, what else is there?!

westgrandboulevard
08-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Well....I would say there is a lot.......but I definitely agree with one of yours, so it's a start....:rolleyes:

Methuselah2
08-23-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm sure, WGB, that, within time, you will come to appreciate the Internet. And Haagen-Dazs, too.

soulster
08-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Remember when you went out at night and didn't worry about what might happen on the way home?

Uh...no. Even back in the late 60s and early 70s, I worried about getting jumped, even in a small town. But, as kids, we could wander all around the malls without worrying about anything bad happening.

soulster
08-23-2015, 11:41 PM
I think things changed for the worse in the very early 60s when there were reports of Halloween Trick-or-Treaters getting apples with razor blades hidden in them. I've never forgotten hearing about that.

When I was a kid, there was always the rumor about, and fear of the house on the corner, the one with the big hippies who rode motorcycles, because someone said they injected drugs into the candy bars.

Jerry Oz
08-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Our local children's hospital began x-raying Halloween bags after apples were passed out that has needles in them.

Jerry Oz
08-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Uh...no. Even back in the late 60s and early 70s, I worried about getting jumped, even in a small town. But, as kids, we could wander all around the malls without worrying about anything bad happening.
I walked the six blocks to elementary school, the 1.5 miles to junior high, and two miles to high school alone quite often. It was a blessing to get my drivers license in the 11th grade.

westgrandboulevard
08-24-2015, 04:54 AM
Then, we and the world were younger, and less aware.

Now, we are all older, and more aware.

In some ways, that seems good. In others, not so good.....

arr&bee
08-24-2015, 01:12 PM
uh...no. Even back in the late 60s and early 70s, i worried about getting jumped, even in a small town. But, as kids, we could wander all around the malls without worrying about anything bad happening.haaaaaaaaaaa...hey soulster,you must have had it rough.

soulster
08-24-2015, 02:12 PM
haaaaaaaaaaa...hey soulster,you must have had it rough. Nah! We were just taught not to trust anyone and to be aware of our surroundings at all times no matter what.

westgrandboulevard
08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Sounds like very good sense to me....

soulster
08-24-2015, 02:29 PM
I walked the six blocks to elementary school, the 1.5 miles to junior high, and two miles to high school alone quite often. It was a blessing to get my drivers license in the 11th grade.

In elementary school I lived just down the street from the school. You can see the schoolyard from my front door. I never worried about that.

I used to walk three miles to and from school for fun in jr. high. I sometimes worried. I rode the bus in high school.

soulster
08-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Maybe you might consider starting a 'sister' thread, to run alongside this one, but on the lines of 'Remember how things are better now...' - ?

The responses, taken from a different view, could be just as interesting :)

I tried that on another forum that was overrun with negativity from the old folks, but it didn't get much traction. People are happier complaining or reminiscing how good they think the old days are, I guess.

westgrandboulevard
08-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Looking back to the old days with affection is understandable, and is a privilege of surviving to a certain age. Maybe, an entitlement.

It would be good to feel we all have a choice in how we wish to perceive ourselves and our own lives. With luck, all the bad side of the past can't hurt us any more, so that it seems safe to blank it all out.

But..the reality is that none of us is going in that direction.

I just think that today is a 'good old day' in the making, and we really should try to make of it what we can. Some days, easier than others....LOL

Methuselah2
08-24-2015, 03:20 PM
"Folks are usually about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
--Attributed to Abraham Lincoln but there's scholarly debate about that.

A great saying, none the less.

arr&bee
08-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Most generations thinks that there's was the best...it just happens to be true that we baby boomers had it better than most.

westgrandboulevard
08-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Absolutely true, and never have so many people all grown old together.

Old age is firmly in fashion!

Jerry Oz
08-24-2015, 05:19 PM
There are plenty of things that are better today than when I was a boy. The internet has opened the world for people to learn anything that they might find interesting. People from two continents have contributed to this thread and that wasn't possible before. Many of the things we recall from the "good ol' days" were viewed from the perspective of people [[and especially kids) who were protected from the truth by parents and the government. If the world seemed innocent back then, it's because we looked at it with innocent eyes, not because it was.

arr&bee
08-24-2015, 07:29 PM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...pssss over here jerry we know all that stuff but we don't say it out loud, when it's between truth and myth...take the myth..shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

MotownSteve
08-24-2015, 11:28 PM
There are plenty of things that are better today than when I was a boy. The internet has opened the world for people to learn anything that they might find interesting. People from two continents have contributed to this thread and that wasn't possible before. Many of the things we recall from the "good ol' days" were viewed from the perspective of people [[and especially kids) who were protected from the truth by parents and the government. If the world seemed innocent back then, it's because we looked at it with innocent eyes, not because it was.

Are you sure only two continents? I would not be surprised if there are people from Asia and/or Africa on this forum.

westgrandboulevard
08-25-2015, 04:16 AM
Wouldn't that be something! Apart from the UK, I'm certain we already have members here from other European countries.

Jerry Oz
08-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Are you sure only two continents? I would not be surprised if there are people from Asia and/or Africa on this forum.
I should have written "at least two continents". And in aware of art least two posters from Scandinavian locales. What a small world.

arr&bee
08-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Remember when[koolaid]was five cents a pack?

Jerry Oz
08-25-2015, 05:30 PM
On My first job, my starting rate was minimum wage which was then $2.85. When I started my second job, at a grocery store, cigarettes were 75¢ and you could get a box for $6.

Methuselah2
08-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Cigarettes come and go . . .

but PEZ is still here!

arr&bee
08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Remember when you would take your[radio flyer]wagon down to the safeway and carry folks groceries for a quarter or if you were lucky[fifty cents].

Jerry Oz
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
No. But I remember when it was customary to tip the bag boys a dime for pushing your cart and helping you out them in the car. And I have great memories of car hops where you ordered your food through an intercom and the wait staff brought it out to you. White Castle used to do that.

soulster
08-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Most generations thinks that there's was the best...it just happens to be true that we baby boomers had it better than most.

The younger baby-boomers, at least. I'm talking about we who were too young for the Viet Nam draft. Gen-X had it pretty good, too.

soulster
08-26-2015, 07:12 PM

Amen! And, even today, many of those still don't realize how advantaged they still are.

I'll say one thing, though: at least we didn't have to worry about mass shooters back then.

soulster
08-26-2015, 07:14 PM

I would. From all the years i've spent here, i'm pretty sure most, or all of us are in Europe/U.K., or North America.

soulster
08-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Remember when[koolaid]was five cents a pack?

Yeah! You could get a candy bar for a dime, some Hostess twinkies for 15 cents, a comic book for 15 cents, and a 25 ounce Pepsi for 20 cents. But, then, the cost of living was a bit better than today.

Jerry Oz
08-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Amen! And, even today, many of those still don't realize how advantaged they still are.

I'll say one thing, though: at least we didn't have to worry about mass shooters back then.Sadly, the shooting from the clock tower at the University of Texas would be forgotten within a week if it occurred today.

arr&bee
08-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Remember when you would actually get a[full]bag of chips?

Soul Sister
08-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I remember when you could get a coca~cola for a nickle. Soda in glass bottles out of a machine for a nickle.
Candy 2 for a penny.
Ice cream sundaes for 25 cents and cones for 10 cents.
McDonald's for 15 cents. Pizza for 15 cents a slice.
Photo booth 4 photos for 25 cents.
Jukebox plays 10 cents for one record, 25 cents for three records played..
45 records for 75 cents. 331/3 LP albums for $2.98.

S.S.

Jerry Oz
08-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Hah! I remember when my parents used to ask 'do you remember when...?'

westgrandboulevard
08-28-2015, 03:34 PM
One benefit of growing a little older is that, with each year, there are fewer people who will [[irritatingly) exclaim in conversation "How would you know, you weren't even born then!"

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Go to the movies[15cents]stay most of the day[two movies-a cartoon]those old movie screens were about the size of a big screen tv,but in those golden days to us kids it was a mile wide.

westgrandboulevard
08-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Did anyone here see the Motortown Revue at theatres like the Detroit Fox, or The Apollo?

They used to perform several shows a day?

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah,the howard theater in d.c. Was the venue for us in the sixties and when motown was there so were we,four shows a day at about[2.50]you could stay fro the first three[they cleared it out before the midnight show]just imagine seeing[the miracles-the classic temptations-mary wells-the marvelettes-martha and the vandellas-the contours]all for 2.50...and we thought they were overcharging us....little did we know that big changes were coming.

westgrandboulevard
08-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Arr&bee! Have you any idea just how many people here will envy you - ?!!

You should start a thread, to encourage people to share their memories of those shows.....

Four shows a day. Hmmm. I guess the acts had to be in the theatre all day? How many seats would there be in the Howard? Were the houses well attended?

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm small potatoes west,folks like[soul sis-stubass]knew alot of the artist personaly, i envy them.

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 05:39 PM
The howard was small-oh maybe[1,200]seats but it was packed to the rafters always.

Jerry Oz
08-28-2015, 05:57 PM
I miss hopping on the city bus, getting a transfer slip, and being able to take a 45 minute trip to anywhere for a quarter. My brother and I used to go downtown to the grindhouse and watch Godzilla, Hammer Films horror flicks, or the first wave of kung fu movies. Triple features used to choose 75¢ and we would be out of Mom's hair all day. I wouldn't let pre-teens ride the bus alone in 2015, but it was nothing for us to do it back then.

westgrandboulevard
08-28-2015, 06:13 PM
You went downtown to watch Hammer House of Horror films? For some reason, it never really occurred to me that they would be seen much outside of the UK. Never thought they could compare with films made in the US....

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hey west we loved those corny old films with my main men-vincent price-boris karloff-basil rathbone-peter lorre..and a young-jack nicholson.

arr&bee
08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
West please forgive me for not mentioning the great-peter cushing-christopher lee.

Jerry Oz
08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
For some reason, the Christopher Lee Dracula movies are the ones that always have me chills. Other vampire movies tend to bore me but Lee as the bad guy with Cushing as Van Helsing seemed to work much better than the Universal Dracula films.

It's probably because I was too young to be watching them in a movie theater...

Methuselah2
08-28-2015, 11:47 PM
"Don't you dare open a fresh mouth to me! Who do you think you're talking to--one of your friends on the street?"

And then in would go the bar of soap into my mouth.

[[If your mother ever bought Lifebuoy Soap, my advice: Hold your tongue! It can't possibly be worth it.)

Jerry Oz
08-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Mom didn't wash our mouths out with soap, but she made us walk to the mulberry bush to get our own switches. Ah, good times!

westgrandboulevard
08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
"Remember Fleetwick" - Christopher Lee in 'The Face of Fu Manchu' [[1965)

arr&bee
08-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Hey remember mom saying...the day you think you're man enough to talk back,that's the day you can get out of my house...mom didn't play.

arr&bee
08-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey west,those christopher lee dracula movies were scary, they even stand up well today.

marv2
08-30-2015, 01:07 AM
I definitely remember dressing up to fly and then lighting up as soon as the non-smoking sign went out. LOL

Jerry Oz
08-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Hey remember mom saying...the day you think you're man enough to talk back,that's the day you can get out of my house...mom didn't play.
I remember my brother realized that he was 5'6" tall and told my 5'2" mother to get off of his back. My 6'1" father heard it and that was the first and last time he took a belt to one of us. It was also, coincidentally, the last time my brother smarted off to Mom.

arr&bee
09-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Remember when the insurance man would come to your house to collect?

Jerry Oz
09-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't. But I remember the milk man left glass bottles of milk on the porch. I also remember returning those bottles and also 16 oz pop bottles for the return of the 10 cent deposit.

RobertZ
09-01-2015, 08:02 PM
The 1970s, when, for Ashford & Simpson concerts at Avery Fisher Hall, Gladys Knight & the Pips at the Waldorf, Labelle [[the group) and Patti Labelle solo, Diana Ross anywhere, etc, etc - the crowd DRESSED!

Jerry Oz
09-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Not just that, Rob. The acts actually dressed well. People would walked out of Smokey and the Miracles came out with wearing wife beaters and jeans sagging low enough to show their underwear.

marv2
09-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Remember when the insurance man would come to your house to collect?

Yep! Early on Saturday mornings. Mr. Johnny Shelfelter would always be at that front door......hehehehehehehe.....!

marv2
09-01-2015, 10:52 PM
When I was a kid, there was always the rumor about, and fear of the house on the corner, the one with the big hippies who rode motorcycles, because someone said they injected drugs into the candy bars.

We had similar experiences. We lived in a neighborhood full of old Victorian Era mansions and large homes built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. [[think of the house on the Munsters....LOL!) There were real practicing witches in the neighborhood, hippies that had taken over a series of apartments and Gloria Steinem lived just a couple blocks over from us. LOL! Those were the days.......................LOL!

soulster
09-02-2015, 03:51 AM
I definitely remember dressing up to fly and then lighting up as soon as the non-smoking sign went out. LOL
How about when people could smoke anywhere they wanted to, even in hospital waiting rooms? Things are definitely better today.

arr&bee
09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Remember when your dog would recognize the[dog catcher]truck and hid out back when he came through,hehehehe!!

Jerry Oz
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
I remember school lunches when we all got hyped to find out that the entree of the day was mystery meat pizza. The other hot item at my high school was a burger [[mostly soy, I think) in a bun slathered in beef gravy with grated onions and a pickle on top.

marv2
09-02-2015, 07:04 PM
How about when people could smoke anywhere they wanted to, even in hospital waiting rooms? Things are definitely better today.

Exactly! We all had our own ashtrays in our desks in our cubicles. Never had to worry about running out of cigarettes because everyone in the office had a pack! You could smoke in the doctor's office when I was a kid.

marv2
09-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I remember school lunches when we all got hyped to find out that the entree of the day was mystery meat pizza. The other hot item at my high school was a burger [[mostly soy, I think) in a bun slathered in beef gravy with grated onions and a pickle on top.

I remember the "mosqsuito" truck [[the fogger), that came through the neighborhood billowing out huge clouds of smoke [[pesticides) to kill them and all the children running around in the thick cloud of smoke!

marv2
09-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Ok guys, read this and nod your heads, because you know it was all true! LOL!!1

http://www.siliconhell.com/humour/children.htm

Children of the 50's, 60's and 70's

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, and 70's probably shouldn't have survived!

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue- we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good. [[If you aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us).

arr&bee
09-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Hey marv...you can't keep finding this stuff[i'm tearin up over here]where did those days go...and where is my youth,hehehehehehehehe!!!

arr&bee
09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Remember the[watermelon man]coming through in the heat of summer and all the kids were glad to see him...watermelons,red to the rhine!!

Jerry Oz
09-03-2015, 04:36 PM
I remember hearing the ice cream man from three blocks away. It was just enough time to run home and get some loot before he arrived on our street. It was world shattering when we expected him to turn toward us and we saw him drive by instead.

marv2
09-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey marv...you can't keep finding this stuff[i'm tearin up over here]where did those days go...and where is my youth,hehehehehehehehe!!!

A friend of mine from a small town in Ohio shared this with me a few years ago and it did make me stop, think , laugh, become sad and wishful for the good ole days......

marv2
09-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Remember the[watermelon man]coming through in the heat of summer and all the kids were glad to see him...watermelons,red to the rhine!!

Yes I remember. He had a truck that was open on both sides, had a Toledo Scale on it to weigh produce and it had either bells or a funny horn to let you he was on the street. He would sale all sizes of watermelons.

marv2
09-03-2015, 09:32 PM
I remember hearing the ice cream man from three blocks away. It was just enough time to run home and get some loot before he arrived on our street. It was world shattering when we expected him to turn toward us and we saw him drive by instead.

Yep Jerry. In the very early sixties he had the "Popsicle Man" that road down the street on a bike with a box cooler attached to the front. Later on the Ice Cream Man or Good Humor Man in the white trucks with the music came through.

Jerry Oz
09-03-2015, 11:00 PM
I used to love hearing that song until I found out the tune was from perhaps the most racist popular recording in American music. Now, every time I hear it, my blood begins to boil. Only click if you want your memories dashed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/05/11/310708342/recall-that-ice-cream-truck-song-we-have-unpleasant-news-for-you

marv2
09-03-2015, 11:32 PM
I used to love hearing that song until I found out the tune was from perhaps the most racist popular recording in American music. Now, every time I hear it, my blood begins to boil. Only click if you want your memories dashed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/05/11/310708342/recall-that-ice-cream-truck-song-we-have-unpleasant-news-for-you

Yes I remember that damned song! LOL! It was hypnotic to a kid, now I can't stand to hear it. No we did not know it had racist connotations to it at the time.

Methuselah2
09-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Where I went to junior high school, Tuesdays lunchroom special was a steak sandwich with grilled onions and tomato sauce. Couldn't wait to get to school . . . on Tuesdays.

marv2
09-04-2015, 04:35 AM
Where I went to junior high school, Tuesdays lunchroom special was a steak sandwich with grilled onions and tomato sauce. Couldn't wait to get to school . . . on Tuesdays.

You must have went to school in France? LOL!
We never got quality meals like that in American public schools LOL

arr&bee
09-04-2015, 10:39 AM
you must have went to school in france? Lol!
We never got quality meals like that in american public schools lolhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you got that right,all we got was canned potatoes and potted meat.

arr&bee
09-04-2015, 10:41 AM
i used to love hearing that song until i found out the tune was from perhaps the most racist popular recording in american music. Now, every time i hear it, my blood begins to boil. Only click if you want your memories dashed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/05/11/310708342/recall-that-ice-cream-truck-song-we-have-unpleasant-news-for-youwow jerry,i don't remember that one or didn't know what it meant if i did,the good humor man just sort of rang his bells.

Jerry Oz
09-04-2015, 06:50 PM
I remember when I discovered newspapers. I knew much more about current events back then because I read them from front page to last. So, I was forced to know a little bit about a wide range. Thanks to the web, I know a whole lot about a few things and a lot less about things that don't interest me.

Methuselah2
09-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Don't read too much into my steak sandwich post. It was a Philly steak sandwich which, at that time, was a few thin slices of chuck steak [[I think called braising steak in the UK) and onions, tomato sauce, and roll. It was delicious and impossible to pass up at 35¢!

arr&bee
09-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Remember those round potatoes that we ate at lunch,we use to have potato fights and they would close the cafeteria.

Jerry Oz
09-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Remember when potatoes were not coated with a substance that inhibited the growth of eyes [[allowing us to grow our own)? Also, I remember when corn and soy beans weren't genetically manipulated and classified as pesticides by the FDA, allowing Monsanto and other companies to bully farmers into paying only them for seeds under fear of being sued into bankruptcy.

arr&bee
09-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Hey jerry you just mentioned[greasy grady's]entire food output.

Jerry Oz
09-05-2015, 04:08 PM
[[Grady's a different issue. His food isn't a pesticide because no decent fly would go near it.)

Remember when it took two minutes to sign on to the internet through your modem so you could wait for 45 minutes to download video for a 90 second movie trailer?

arr&bee
09-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hey jerry it takes me forty five minutes to sign on,this thing is so slow i can order a snack from greasy's wait for the health inspector to condem it and still have time before this thing comes on.

soulster
09-05-2015, 05:30 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you got that right,all we got was canned potatoes and potted meat.

And some kind of weird beef and soy mixture they called a hamburger patty. I've tasted better hospital food!

Jerry Oz
09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
And some kind of weird beef and soy mixture they called a hamburger patty. I've tasted better hospital food!
Yep. Mystery meat. They got away with slathering it with gravy and calling it Salisbury Steak, but every so often the snuck it in as plain old hamburgers. They put a similarly gray substance on the pizzas, but those pizzas sold out like hot cakes.

marv2
09-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Remember those round potatoes that we ate at lunch,we use to have potato fights and they would close the cafeteria.

Tater Tots!!!! There is a restaurant in Manhattan that serves "vintage" lunches and they have them on their menu along with Nestle Quick and other foods I remember from childhood.

marv2
09-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Yep. Mystery meat. They got away with slathering it with gravy and calling it Salisbury Steak, but every so often the snuck it in as plain old hamburgers. They put a similarly gray substance on the pizzas, but those pizzas sold out like hot cakes.

Yeah salisbury steak was part tofu or something. We use to get excited over pizza on a bun in Jr. High LOL!

arr&bee
09-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Lunch was so bad in jr.high that we petitioned the schoolboard to eliminate lunch.

144man
09-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Remember when only the bad guys went out with their faces covered [[except for the Lone Ranger).

Jerry Oz
09-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I remember Friday night fish fries. My Pops wore the coolest sunglasses [[even at night), porkpie hats, and stove pipe pants and used to drink Stroh's from long necked bottles. He remains the epitome of cool in my mind to this day. [[Think I'll tell him that when I see him later today.) All of my family would show up and Motown seemed to be played every other song on the record player.

arr&bee
09-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Remember when we used to[block]our hats and you wouldn't dare leave the house with[dirty chucks]or unpolished shoes.

arr&bee
09-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Remember when churches only had[one]offering on sunday?

JimBagley
09-11-2015, 03:42 PM
I started swimming lessons when I was in second grade at the YMCA in the fall of 1969. My mom would give me a quarter, which I used to get a soda [[5 cents) and two candy bars [[10 cents each) out of their vending machines. One Saturday I finished swimming and went to the vending machines and my heart sank: sodas had been raised to 10 cents and candy bars to 15 cents. In one week, my snack purchases had been cut from three items to two.

Jerry Oz
09-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Remember when comic books cost a dime instead of $4.00?
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101021053652/marveldatabase/images/f/f2/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_1.jpg

arr&bee
09-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaa..hey jerry,remember when finding a dime on the sidewalk was a big deal?

Jerry Oz
09-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Yep. I also remember when gas wars had gas prices below 30 cents a gallon.

arr&bee
09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Remember when you could form your hands in the shape of a gun and point at your buddies without the swat team showing up at your school?

Jerry Oz
09-12-2015, 09:55 PM
I remember not knowing what 'SWAT' was until the TV series debuted on ABC. Now, it's not just something that we are all familiar with, it's actually become a verb for when people call 911 and report an active hostage situation at a private residence necessitating deployment of SWAT to rush out and endanger lives. You know, because the caller thinks it's so very funny.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQyODkzMzU1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDYwNzk5._V1_S Y317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Remember when people didn't do reckless and incredibly dangerous things [[like calling SWAT when there's no emergency) because they think it's funny?

soulster
09-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Remember when comic books cost a dime instead of $4.00?
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101021053652/marveldatabase/images/f/f2/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_1.jpg

Oh yeah! We'd beg our moms for some change so we could go down to the convenience store on our bikes and buy a bottle of soda, a candy bar, and a comic book.

I remember around 1974, we discovered Wacky Packages. We'd go down to the convenience store during school lunch [[the one year they actually allowed us fifth and sixth grade kids to leave campus during school hours) and buy them with our lunch money. We stuck those things on everything: our notebooks, books, desks, and bikes. We all outgrew them a year later.

Jerry Oz
09-13-2015, 02:02 AM
It's it just me, out did kids seem to enjoy the simplest things back in the day more than they do now? My Mom would cut holes in paper bags and we would put our heads and arms through them and walk around playing "robot" for an hour. I wonder if kids still play tag or hide-and-go-seek these days. I've seen them have meltdowns when they aren't given $59 for a brand new video game.

soulster
09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
It's it just me, out did kids seem to enjoy the simplest things back in the day more than they do now? My Mom would cut holes in paper bags and we would put our heads and arms through them and walk around playing "robot" for an hour. I wonder if kids still play tag or hide-and-go-seek these days. I've seen them have meltdowns when they aren't given $59 for a brand new video game.
WE played cops & robbers with our toy cap guns, but never had to worry about someone using a real gun, or someone calling the cops.

Hey, how about putting playing cards on your bicycle spokes with clothes pins to make noise, or putting hi-bars on the back of your bike to make them mimic Harleys. We called 'em "sissy bars" for some reason.

Jerry Oz
09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
I remember putting the cards in the spokes as well as a balloon [[louder, at least until they burst) to make it obvious when I was riding by. And I remember sissy bars on old Stingray bikes. Stingrays look so funny nowadays. For some reason, I only see old stoner looking dudes on them instead of kids.

Methuselah2
09-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Horn & Hardart's Menu - 1959
The food was delicious & the portions generous.
When I look at the menu now, it just doesn't seem possible--but it was!

soulster
09-13-2015, 10:41 PM
I remember putting the cards in the spokes as well as a balloon [[louder, at least until they burst) to make it obvious when I was riding by. And I remember sissy bars on old Stingray bikes. Stingrays look so funny nowadays. For some reason, I only see old stoner looking dudes on them instead of kids.

here's one with a sissy bar, hand brakes, and gears. These bikes look fugly now.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww237/qrfanwendi/red-1970s-banana-seat-bike.jpg

arr&bee
09-14-2015, 01:26 PM
it's it just me, out did kids seem to enjoy the simplest things back in the day more than they do now? My mom would cut holes in paper bags and we would put our heads and arms through them and walk around playing "robot" for an hour. I wonder if kids still play tag or hide-and-go-seek these days. I've seen them have meltdowns when they aren't given $59 for a brand new video game.haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey jerry,if you see a kid with a paper bag over his head today,he's robbing a store.

Jerry Oz
09-15-2015, 08:16 PM
The bags were over our whole bodies. Tells you that was a long time ago, eh?

arr&bee
09-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Remember when [am]was all you got on the radio?

144man
09-15-2015, 09:52 PM
I Remember When [[Dedicated to Beverly) - Ivy Jo...oops, sorry, wrong thread.

soulster
09-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Remember when [am]was all you got on the radio? There was always one classical FM station, though. That all changed for me around 1973, when pop stations started to shift to the FM band.

marv2
09-15-2015, 10:24 PM
There was always one classical FM station, though. That all changed for me around 1973, when pop stations started to shift to the FM band.

For us it started in early 1971 when FM stations in Michigan and Ohio started switching to album/rock formats. We did have a R&B station on FM as far back as 1965 called WKLR.

marv2
09-15-2015, 10:26 PM
The bags were over our whole bodies. Tells you that was a long time ago, eh?

Shit, we use to steal my mom's clean bath towels, tie them around our neck and jump off the back stairs playing "Superman"! LOL!!!!!1

arr&bee
09-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv we all did that,you guys are babes in the woods talking bout[one fm station]nope not in da hood,heck we were lucky to get[am].

GrtGzu
09-16-2015, 01:36 PM
And how many of you remember THIS?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/18/5f/12185f59e76527029024b8b4757f32d9.jpg

Jerry Oz
09-16-2015, 02:22 PM
I remember the Black kids and White kids arguing in our high school art class over which station the tuner should be set to play. Finally, the teacher said that he'd alternate between the AOR and R&B stations. Then my friend Loren talked him into making one of the R&B days a day for Jazz, which I couldn't stand. So, we got to listen to the R&B station no more than twice per week and often listened to the Rock station three times...

Long story made short: in the 37 years since then, I'm as big a fan of '60s and '70s era Rock as I am of R&B and a full third of my music collection is Jazz. I wonder why I resisted in the first place?

marv2
09-16-2015, 02:27 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/18/5f/12185f59e76527029024b8b4757f32d9.jpg

Oh Gawd yes!LOL! That and the playing of the national anthem just before sign-off at night.

marv2
09-16-2015, 02:29 PM
I remember the Black kids and White kids arguing in our high school art class over which station the tuner should be set to play. Finally, the teacher said that he'd alternate between the AOR and R&B stations. Then my friend Loren talked him into making one of the R&B days a day for Jazz, which I couldn't stand. So, we got to listen to the R&B station no more than twice per week and often listened to the Rock station three times...

Long story made short: in the 37 years since then, I'm as big a fan of '60s and '70s era Rock as I am of R&B and a full third of my music collection is Jazz. I wonder why I resisted in the first place?

Jerry growing up in Toledo and Detroit [[and Windsor) we all have the chance to hear R&B, Rock and Pop music equally through a Canadian station called CKLW. One of the reasons Bob Seger and the Guess Who are two of my all time favorites is because of growing up with that station!

arr&bee
09-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Remember when those[19in.]tv consoles were the coolest things going?

Jerry Oz
09-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Remember when HBO first came on and it didn't broadcast its first movie of the day until 5:00 PM? It went off at 1:00 AM or so.

Methuselah2
09-17-2015, 02:19 AM
As a child, one of the local TV stations went off the air at 2am. But before they did, they'd show the FBI posters of the 10 most wanted criminals in the country. Used to scare me to death. But whenever I was awake at that time, I still watched it. Go figure.

soulster
09-17-2015, 09:37 AM

I remember something close to it.

It was always an eerie feeling when all of the stations signed off at around 1:00 AM on weeknights. It was like the world disappeared, and was a subtle reminder that I should be in bed!

On weekends and holidays, though, we were allowed to stay up all night, and by that time, we had cable, and had access to the major California indie stations like KTTV, KHJ, and KTLA, and some other station from Oakland. I got into liking old B&W films from the 40s, and those endless Cal Worthington and his dog Spot commercials.

Having KTTV in the early 70s allowed us to see Soul Train every Saturday afternoon right from the KTTV studios. I later found out that most of the rest of the country didn't have it so good when it came to Soul Train. They either didn't show it, or, if they did, they buried it at 1 AM.

soulster
09-17-2015, 09:50 AM

When I was in elementary school in the early 70s, we could bring in our own 45s and play them on the record player on days when we had music class, and the teacher didn't have anything planned, or on rainy days. Those of us who brought in records had pop/soul records. No one liked country! Whew!

In high school in the late 70s, I had one high school class that had a stereo in it. One of the English teachers who also taught marriage had one in the room, and we'd get to listen to it during study time. So, we got a nice mixture of stuff with no country, thank god!

We also had a stereo in the band room hooked to big Peavey monitors, and we'd put it on during non-class hours. We got off lucky because we only had one top 40 station, and NO ONE wanted to hear country. Everyone was happy in that respect. If we wanted to hear anything else, usually jazz, hard rock, or R&B i'd bring in, we could play that too.

Of course, in those days, a lot of guys brought their boom boxes to school and played their own music, usually funk music like Parliament/Funkadelic, Brick, Bootsy, and Bar-Kays. White kids had their Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, and whatever else they liked. I really liked rock back then, but just wasn't really into it. The only rock album I bought in the 70s was ELO's Greatest Hits. It wasn't until after high school that I caught up on all that stuff I ignored before, starting with Van Halen and The Beatles.

soulster
09-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Remember when HBO first came on and it didn't broadcast its first movie of the day until 5:00 PM? It went off at 1:00 AM or so.

We got it in 1977. I wasn't too impressed, though. I just wasn't big into movies at that stage. But, I did like the Playboy Channel. :) In those days, they didn't scramble the signal for those who didn't want it.

marv2
09-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Remember when those[19in.]tv consoles were the coolest things going?

Yes I remember. But the coolest things where those nearly block long stereo consoles with the fake wood cabinet and the 8 track players built in. hehehehehehehehe............

Jerry Oz
09-17-2015, 12:42 PM
I remember having to go to bed at 9:00 PM. We used to want to stay up to watch "The Invaders" or "The Fugitive", but only got to see the intro if we were lucky. Mom finally relented and let my brother and me stay up to watch Monday Night Football, so long as we made sure to take our baths and keep up our grades.

marv2
09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
I remember having to go to bed at 9:00 PM. We used to want to stay up to watch "The Invaders" or "The Fugitive", but only got to see the intro if we were lucky. Mom finally relented and let my brother and me stay up to watch Monday Night Football, so long as we made sure to take our baths and keep up our grades.

Wow~! Both of them were favorite shows of mine.

arr&bee
09-17-2015, 01:37 PM
yes i remember. But the coolest things where those nearly block long stereo consoles with the fake wood cabinet and the 8 track players built in. Hehehehehehehehe............

10052haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's it we had one just like it.

arr&bee
09-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Remember those cluch cargo cartoons with the human mouth?

marv2
09-17-2015, 07:09 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's it we had one just like it.

Yep we did too.....from Montgomery Ward's! LOL! It had the 8 track player built into ours. That's what we had in the early 70's. Now the one we had from the 60's was a Sears model. Not quite as big as the thing above, but played and sounded much better. it is still in my parents basement.

Methuselah2
09-17-2015, 07:26 PM
'Clutch' was fine. But he was no 'Flash Gordon'. Or 'Ming the Merciless', for that matter.

Methuselah2
09-17-2015, 07:40 PM
For some perhaps, the real day the music died.

Jerry Oz
09-17-2015, 08:18 PM
I remember listening to the radio for updates of the Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier fight [[March 8, 1971). I was a huge Frazier fan - even at age 9 - and that fight was one of the first shown on closed-circuit [[live on movie screens), which meant that we couldn't watch it. It was a school night and I lay wide awake for the updates every three minutes.

marv2
09-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I remember listening to the radio for updates of the Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier fight [[March 8, 1971). I was a huge Frazier fan - even at age 9 - and that fight was one of the first shown on closed-circuit [[live on movie screens), which meant that we couldn't watch it. It was a school night and I lay wide awake for the updates every three minutes.

I was in the 5th grade during the time of that fight in March of 1971. I had a TV in my bedroom and the first thing I did when I woke up the morning after was turn on the TV to hear about the fight. It was on the Today Show I learned that Ali had lost. I actually cried! I did not want to go to school that day LOL!

soulster
09-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Yep we did too.....from Montgomery Ward's! LOL! It had the 8 track player built into ours. That's what we had in the early 70's. Now the one we had from the 60's was a Sears model. Not quite as big as the thing above, but played and sounded much better. it is still in my parents basement.

The one we had was built in 1961, and it had FM radio.

GrtGzu
09-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Who had one of these?
http://www.saintstevensthingery.com/mybackpages/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/realisticradio1.jpg

And am I the only one who STILL has her parent's Magnavox stereo WITH the 8track player that you spoke of?

Also STILL have the 1960 Magnavox stereo downstairs, and it still plays ALL formats...
http://images1.americanlisted.com/nssmall/vintage-magnavox-am-fm-stereo-with-turntable-record-player-325-americanlisted_33137059.jpg

marv2
09-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Who had one of these?
http://www.saintstevensthingery.com/mybackpages/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/realisticradio1.jpg

And am I the only one who STILL has her parent's Magnavox stereo WITH the 8track player that you spoke of?

Also STILL have the 1960 Magnavox stereo downstairs, and it still plays ALL formats...
http://images1.americanlisted.com/nssmall/vintage-magnavox-am-fm-stereo-with-turntable-record-player-325-americanlisted_33137059.jpg

I did, I did until it fell off my bicycle handle bars and broke! LOL! I had much cheaper transistor radios too.

soulster
09-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I had one of those radios when I was four years old.

arr&bee
09-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Wow your's had[am-fm]mine only had[am]....who knew???

144man
09-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Remember when "grass" was just a plant grown to cover lawns and "weed" was only a plant that grew where you didn't want it to?

Remember when a gentleman could hold a door open for a lady without being labelled as sexist?

Remember when a stranger could help up a child who had fallen over without worrying that he might be suspected of being a pervert?

Remember when people still said "Merry Christmas" instead of "Seasons Greetings"?

Remember when you could make a harmless joke such as "Did you hear about the Indian cloakroom attendant, Mahatma Coat?" without being accused of being a racist?

Remember when the USA and the UK really did have a special relationship?

arr&bee
09-18-2015, 07:23 PM
I sure do...remember when you could go into a business and actually speak to the manager about employment and he would actually call you back.

arr&bee
09-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Remember those classic[blue light]in the basement parties[8pm-midnight]and at five of twelve the lights would flicker meaning[last dance].

marv2
09-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Remember those classic[blue light]in the basement parties[8pm-midnight]and at five of twelve the lights would flicker meaning[last dance].

Oooh yeah! The slow grind, the thumb motion, back bending of the girls and girls that did the old "booty - green" to............."let you know"! LOL!!!

soulster
09-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Remember when people still said "Merry Christmas" instead of "Seasons Greetings"?

Remember when you could make a harmless joke such as "Did you hear about the Indian cloakroom attendant, Mahatma Coat?" without being accused of being a racist?

The good old days weren't always so good.

Jerry Oz
09-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?
Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?
Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?
Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?
Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?
Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?
How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?

arr&bee
09-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Remember when guys were called[cats]and girls were[chicks]and a[hoe]was a tool used in the yard and a[bitch]was the neighbors female dog.

soulster
09-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?

I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?

No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?

Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?

My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.:)

Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?

Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?

Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?

We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.

Jerry Oz
09-20-2015, 06:12 PM
I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.:)

Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.
I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.

marv2
09-20-2015, 07:33 PM
I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.

That's true. I love life and have a lot of great memories. I thank God I grew up in era that I did!

soulster
09-21-2015, 12:16 AM
I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv. IMO, I don't think we talk about this stuff enough around here. I remember two or three years ago starting a thread about what kind of stereo the members have, and half of the ones that did bother to respond got hostile. Maybe they listen on Crossleys.:)

Jerry Oz
09-21-2015, 02:05 AM
Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...

soulster
09-21-2015, 02:12 AM
Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...

I'm not laughing. Lots of audiophiles love those old Marantz units.

Just a warning: if you ever move to a house again, buy a more powerful receiver. You will blow your speakers driving them with such an underpowered amp playing it loud.

Jerry Oz
09-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.

soulster
09-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.

Ha! He actually bought them from a "white van" [[as it's generally called)??? They are usually knock-offs not worth a damn in either quality or sound. Never do that!

arr&bee
09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt sony receiver. Living with shared walls, i can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so i bought one that i can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so i can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old marantz 4240 that i bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components i plugged into it [[a sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; i was never an audiophile, just a music fan...hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.

Jerry Oz
09-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?

arr&bee
09-21-2015, 05:48 PM
I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?

marv2
09-21-2015, 06:06 PM
I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?

Or treated a woman in public special without being considered a male chauvinist or having ulterior motives..................

marv2
09-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?

I had that problem with this Puerto Rican chick [[yeah I said chick! LOL!) that lived downstairs from me. I did not play my stereo for nearly 4 years to avoid committing a homicide. LOL!!!

arr&bee
09-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!

Methuselah2
09-21-2015, 06:20 PM

arr&bee
09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...meth you're a hoot.

Jerry Oz
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo

marv2
09-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!

They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day!

soulster
09-21-2015, 08:16 PM
hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.
Much nicer than the generic black components from the 80s and 90s!

soulster
09-21-2015, 08:17 PM

And, they appreciated it, too! Now you can get fired and be forced to register as a sex offender!

soulster
09-21-2015, 08:19 PM
They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day! Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!

marv2
09-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo

My favorite Hai Karate commercial was the one of the diving out of the plane and the women parachuting right behind him LOL

marv2
09-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Here's one that if you are over 40 yrs old you should remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=ykakemYY_rQ

marv2
09-21-2015, 11:38 PM
This one is like a companion commercial to the Hai Karate ones LOL! I know you guys remember this product. [[Madison Ave. was cheesy in those days.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=24&v=7YCtW8-bUvY

GrtGzu
09-22-2015, 11:31 AM
And 'member this one?

​http://americablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/native-american-crying-litter-ad.jpg

robb_k
09-22-2015, 11:58 AM
What about the commercial in which a French Foreign Legionnaire says to his colleague [[in a French accented English), "You left your family defenceless??? !!! Get off my sand dune!!!" I don't even remember the product. Was it an antiperspirent?

robb_k
09-22-2015, 12:03 PM
And 'member this one?

​http://americablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/native-american-crying-litter-ad.jpg
Iron Eyes Cody. Interesting that a Native American, from a plains tribe, ended up with the same family name of Buffalo Bill Cody, who, personally, killed thousands of bison, which was much of the sustenance for the plains tribes. That's similar in negative irony to slaves taking on the family names of their masters.

arr&bee
09-22-2015, 01:29 PM
aw shit! You just had to mention the name of dr! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey soulster,i got greasy grady standin out front with sandwiches,no [dr]fan in thier right mind will get dare come over here without a certificate from the state health board.

arr&bee
09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Hey robb,according to iron eyes,he hated that commercial.

Jerry Oz
09-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but ol' Iron Eyes wasn't actually a Native American. He was actually Oscar de Corti, the son of Italian immigrants. He moved to Hollywood back when cowboy movies became popular and changed his identity, much like Rachel Dolezal recently did when she became "Black". Iron Eyes' story is truly interesting. If you want to read it, I provided a link.

http://priceonomics.com/the-true-story-of-the-crying-indian/

arr&bee
09-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Jerry you da man,i remember reading that to back in the day,but had forgotten it.

marv2
09-22-2015, 02:03 PM
And 'member this one?

Oh most definitely! I knew that one by just seeing the still photo of the Native American man crying.

marv2
09-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Iron Eyes Cody. Interesting that a Native American, from a plains tribe, ended up with the same family name of Buffalo Bill Cody, who, personally, killed thousands of bison, which was much of the sustenance for the plains tribes. That's similar in negative irony to slaves taking on the family names of their masters.

A very good observation Robb.

marv2
09-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!

Oh right! I am very sorry Soulster man. I will try hard not to let that happen again. LOL!

144man
09-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?

marv2
09-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?

Yeah, before 1977.

marv2
09-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Remember when men wore hats year round?

144man
09-23-2015, 07:37 AM
The good old days weren't always so good.

I'll need a bit of convincing on that one.

soulster
09-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I'll need a bit of convincing on that one.

From my perspective, those good old days had:

unchecked racism
worse misogyny
cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up
more trans-fats in foods

144man
09-23-2015, 11:08 AM

unchecked racism
worse misogyny
cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up
more trans-fats in foods

I was referring to the specific points you selected from my post.

arr&bee
09-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?

Methuselah2
09-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too Dionne "Warwicke".

marv2
09-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?

I remember spending it in the basement of the church on cupcakes and other sweets. My Dad tore me up when he'd find out! LOL!

arr&bee
09-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!

Jerry Oz
09-23-2015, 01:25 PM

unchecked racism - We still have issues with this one, in my opinion. It's actually cool to display it thanks to Faux News and the current iteration of the conservative movement.
worse misogyny - With so many men having multiple babies by multiple women and women still being limited in job opportunities, I'd argue it's worse than ever.
cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up - Thank God for this one!
more trans-fats in foods - We still have 30% of the population who are obese. There are still way too many foods that are fried or made with high fructose corn syrup. We haven't cleared all of these hurdles [[from my perspective, anyway).

arr&bee
09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too dionne "warwicke".back when i was sober i was gonna spell it...our ann b.

arr&bee
09-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Remember when our parents would put us in front of the tv and actually leave the room?

Jerry Oz
09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/galoshes-16056348.jpg

arr&bee
09-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...jerry i think i still have a pair somewhere.

arr&bee
09-25-2015, 06:32 PM
Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?

Methuselah2
09-26-2015, 12:06 AM
And the girls who were considered "fast"?

soulster
09-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?

Both of my grandmothers had passed on long before I was born, but I am 100% sure that neither one of them were bible-thumpers. One was a schoolteacher, though.

soulster
09-26-2015, 12:39 AM
And the girls who were considered "fast"?

But, those were the ones you wanted because you knew [[or the rumor was) that they "put out".

marv2
09-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!

Uh huh , yeah see because you guys were bad boys! LOL!

marv2
09-26-2015, 11:41 AM
But, those were the ones you wanted because you knew [[or the rumor was) that they "put out".

They were THE ones every guy wanted LOL!

arr&bee
09-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I remember my aunt who was a teacher and a bible toter,would see the rocketts on tv and conplain about those sinners and make us turn off the tv...we would crack up...those were the days.

marv2
09-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/galoshes-16056348.jpg

We wore those as kids in the 60s. By the early 70s we wore steel toed brogues or combat boots LOL

marv2
09-26-2015, 05:26 PM
I remember my aunt who was a teacher and a bible toter,would see the rocketts on tv and conplain about those sinners and make us turn off the tv...we would crack up...those were the days.

My aunt's neighbor thought that any woman appearing on television in a sleeves dress was a hussy. LOL!