PDA

View Full Version : Wanda Rogers? Ian Levine Production? 1996: MY BABY MUST BE A MAGICIAN. Anyone Know?

test

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 02:40 AM
Certainly sounds like Wanda to me but have no information about it. Same with whether or not it's an Ian Levine production. Hoping someone might know more. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/WWS67n-ugmE

Thanks to MARVALETTES4U for this YouTube posting.

westgrandboulevard
08-15-2015, 04:47 AM
Yes, that's definitely Wanda, when the song was re-recorded as part of Ian Levine's Motorcity project in the late '80s, and early '90s.

Features on album 'The Marvelettes Now!', MOTCLP/CDMOTCLP 38, track # 4, and on various compilations.

The tracks for the album were recorded at United Studios, Detroit; Masterpiece Studios, Detroit; North Hollywood & Southlands Studios, London. :)

mysterysinger
08-15-2015, 05:33 AM

The Marvelettes "Now"
1 Don't Mess With Bill
2 Secret Love Affair
3 Just In The Nick Of Time
4 My Baby Must Be A Magician
5 You Bring The Love Into My Life
6 Too Many Fish In The Sea
7 Holding On With Both Hands
8 Beechwood 4-5789
9 Used To Be A Playboy
10 When You're Young And In Love

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Thank you very much, WGB and MS!

westgrandboulevard
08-15-2015, 06:47 AM
If you haven't already, check out Wanda's 'Just In The Nick Of Time'.....and also Gladys recorded at that time on non-'Marvelettes Now!' tracks like 'Don't Forget The Memories'; and 'Getting Into Motion', a 'remembering '60s dance crazes' track.....

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks, WGB. I will do that.

arr&bee
08-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Isn't there a vidio of wanda singing that was produced by levine, i saw it here some years ago i believe.

blueskies
08-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Isn't there a vidio of wanda singing that was produced by levine, i saw it here some years ago i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFm2ISMn82w

arr&bee
08-15-2015, 10:49 AM
That's it,thanks..wanda forever!!!

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 02:37 PM
If you haven't already, check out Wanda's 'Just In The Nick Of Time'.....and also Gladys recorded at that time on non-'Marvelettes Now!' tracks like 'Don't Forget The Memories'; and 'Getting Into Motion', a 'remembering '60s dance crazes' track.....

WGB - So enjoyable to hear Wanda and Gladys sounding so vibrant and strong. For anyone else who's interested in hearing these later recordings, here they are:

JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME:
https://youtu.be/Dn2eYRhdeoo

DON'T FORGET THE MEMORIES:
https://youtu.be/YNbBM9fFqf4

GETTING INTO MOTION:
https://youtu.be/u0z6l0Lvzv8

Glad you pointed them out, WGB. Many thanks.

blueskies
08-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Another line-up of Marvelettes with different songs.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81PQjyve%2BcL._SL1059_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714VI6ipGHL._SL1050_.jpg

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting, Blueskies. Didn't know Ian Levine did so much of the writing.

Here's a great stage shot of Katherine, Wanda, and Gladys from yesteryear that brings back wonderful memories as if it were today:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ir1aOnRr1X0/hqdefault.jpg

westgrandboulevard
08-15-2015, 03:39 PM
That's a lovely photo, M2!

I'm prepared to be quite wrong, but I don't think Ian Levine could possibly have had time to co-write all the Motorcity songs for which he is given composer credits. I've always wondered if his name was added simply on a commercial basis. I believe it was he who put up all the money to pursue the project so, quite understandably, he would have been looking for returns. In the event, I don't think anyone made any real money, at least at that time.

The album which Blueskies has posted is a CD released some years after Motorcity folded [[you may already have noted the date shown of 1996). Many of the tracks had not been released until that date, and do not so strongly feature that infernal 'hammer-on-metal' synthesised drum sound which did detract from many of the Motorcity recordings - but not all, as many of the tracks had other instrumental sounds dubbed over. In my opinion, those later Marvelettes tracks are the better for it but, by that time, it came too late.

Generally, most of the Motorcity recordings would have benefited from more time given to them...but lack of budget to achieve all that Ian Levine wished to do - together with lack of time, was the hard reality.

Wanda hadn't sung for years, and had been in variable, but steadily declining health, beginning even before Gladys left the group in the 60s. After that, the group began to fall apart. I think most if not all of Wanda's vocal tracks for Motorcity were time consuming, and needed very careful preparation, sometimes recording just a few words, and then punched in to construct the finished recording. At points in 'Just in the nick of time', a slight 'halt' in Wanda's delivery can be detected but, to me, it simply adds an attractive quality to that track. What it certainly does do is largely capture Wanda's previous innate vocal charm, and evoke her dormant talent. Perfection was not needed. Although Wanda was unable to put on a complete stage show, it was just great to hear her voice again after all those years, and Ian Levine is to be given due credit for attempting what he did. Besides, I feel I should say that in support of his dream, as he is from this side of the Atlantic.....LOL

Gladys, to my ears, just sounded stronger than ever, and put in some very strong performances. There were so many 'if only things had been different' moments there, to add to all those carried forward from the '60s..........

Methuselah2
08-15-2015, 03:54 PM
WGB - That's both a beautiful and incisive tribute to Wanda, Gladys, and Ian. Moving and informative, too. And so beautifully put. Thank you for your posting.

westgrandboulevard
08-15-2015, 03:59 PM
M2, I probably haven't quite nailed it, but it is sincere. Thanks for the compliment :)

blueskies
08-15-2015, 07:50 PM
I own both of the mentioned CD's. I haven't listened to them in awhile, but as I remember, I think westgrandboulevard summer up the recordings well. Gladys sounded good, esp. in the second CD. I know I've read many negative things about Levine and these recordings....but, I truly appreciate having these last recordings of Wanda and Gladys.

daviddesper
08-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper here, but I feel as if Ian Levine's absolute WORST work was his butchering of the Marvelettes' sound. He did a sensational job on the Velvelettes' album and some of Martha's songs were quite nice. I also remember hearing a version of Chris Clark's "From Head to Toe" that I thought was well done.

A few other things here and there were OK, but I almost cringe when I think how sad the Marvelettes' recordings were compared to the REAL THING. Sorry guys, only one person's opinion.

westgrandboulevard
08-17-2015, 04:43 AM
That's really interesting....as, although the new arrangement was faithful to the original, I really didn't like the instrumentation sounds on Chris's 'From Head To Toe' at all.... LOL. [[and the very worst of all was Frankie Gaye and Kim Weston's 'It Takes Two' - !)

Yes, we will of course all have our own opinions.

The Marvelettes had far more tracks recorded on them by Ian Levine than The Velvelettes, and overall, I felt they came out about equal...but it is true that only the Marvelette lead voices were originals. The Velvelettes had the advantage there. I think Gladys' version of 'You're My Remedy', recorded more in the synthesised style of the 80s, works OK.

Overall, I think the Motorcity re-recordings were better when they didn't try simply to replicate the original, although I can understand why that may have been felt necessary. Had the project been more successful, any new songs recorded would then have had the advantage.

I actually now like Martha's recording of 'Heat Wave' with The Andantes as much as the original, just in different ways. It doesn't have the exuberance rawness of the original, but Martha's richer, more mature voice just powers effortlessly and smoothly through it.

One thing must surely be agreed by all of us. Those wonderful voices........many even improved by time and experience since the original recordings. [[IMHO!)

blueskies
08-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper here, but I feel as if Ian Levine's absolute WORST work was his butchering of the Marvelettes' sound. He did a sensational job on the Velvelettes' album and some of Martha's songs were quite nice. I also remember hearing a version of Chris Clark's "From Head to Toe" that I thought was well done.

A few other things here and there were OK, but I almost cringe when I think how sad the Marvelettes' recordings were compared to the REAL THING. Sorry guys, only one person's opinion.
I'm aware of 'warts and all'....the flaws, the drum machine, etc.. But, from the historical perspective, I find them worth owning and have still enjoyed them for what they are.

westgrandboulevard
08-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Exactly. Now, after a quarter of a century has passed, in looking back for the good rather than the bad, they are as representative of their own era, as the original music was of the 60s.

mysterysinger
08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Ian Levine did a good job with these artists. He deserves credit for bringing it all together and having the foresight to record some amazing people in different ways and with a bit more luck could have scored a hit with one or two of the tracks [[imagine The Marvelettes back in the charts, even back then). I didn't enjoy that much of the output, but as has been said some were really very good and I have my favourites too. I do have many of the tracks in my collection and listen to them from time to time. Just as interesting are the videos he has posted on YouTube and those Velvelettes look gorgeous on there. In their own way, Ian and the artists created a bit of history. I don't enjoy everything Motown put out either.

westgrandboulevard
08-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Of over 700 tracks recorded during the Motorcity project, it ought to be noted here that 120 of them have reportedly since been reworked with different backing tracks.

I have copies of some. In my opinion, they are all good tracks. Most are indeed an improvement, having a much more natural sound. Some are a revelation [[for example, Mary Wells, 'Hold On A Little Longer' I've always enjoyed, but the remix gives it a much faster, summer jazz arrangement ) and I even find myself preferring one or two of the original Motorcity versions.

I'm unsure if any of those 120 tracks include any Marvelette recordings.

When the Motorcity label was launched, a promo cassette of full length Motorcity tracks was compiled to accompany sales of vinyl albums.

One of the tracks was 'Secret Love Affair' by 'The Marvelettes' - that is, a lead vocal by Gladys, with session singers. That particular version has the robotic drum sound mixed down to be virtually eliminated, leaving just vocals, bass, keyboard, brass and string sounds. It is a vast improvement on the regular released version.