PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know who this is?

test

huntergettingcaptured
08-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Bought this and other photos recently and wondering who this is. Looks like she's working in one of the Hitsville offices, maybe around '62, '63 judging from the albums.

MIKEW-UK
08-14-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm proposing it is Iris Gordy, daughter of Berry Gordy's brother Fuller Gordy. Born in 1943, this would make Iris 19 if this photo was taken in 1962. Iris went on to marry Johnny Bristol, co-wrote The Bells, and produced Tata Vega, Debarge, G.C. Cameron, Smokey, Mandre and High Inergy.

MIKEW-UK
08-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Iris... http://www.fineprintheroes.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=586&g2_serialNumber=6

marv2
08-14-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm proposing it is Iris Gordy, daughter of Berry Gordy's brother Fuller Gordy. Born in 1943, this would make Iris 19 if this photo was taken in 1962. Iris went on to marry Johnny Bristol, co-wrote The Bells, and produced Tata Vega, Debarge, G.C. Cameron, Smokey, Mandre and High Inergy.

Sorry Mike, but the woman in the photo at the desk is not Iris.

MIKEW-UK
08-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Bummer!... Oh well, back to the drawing board.... Marv, any ideas?

MIKEW-UK
08-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Also, intrigued by the Album on the wall. It seems to be entitled, His Sax, His Flute, His Sound. Frank ? Could it be Frank Wess, flautist and saxophonist for Count Basey amongst others. He did contribute to releases on the Workshop label, Berry's jazz label. Any one throw a light on this second enigma in the photo?

marv2
08-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Bummer!... Oh well, back to the drawing board.... Marv, any ideas?

I'll have to ask Al. I was only a little kid at the time of that pic.

thommg
08-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Also, intrigued by the Album on the wall. It seems to be entitled, His Sax, His Flute, His Sound. Frank ? Could it be Frank Wess, flautist and saxophonist for Count Basey amongst others. He did contribute to releases on the Workshop label, Berry's jazz label. Any one throw a light on this second enigma in the photo?

Well, the name looks to me like Frank Morelli. I did a search and this came up in the entry for Yusef Lateef:
In April 1956 Lateef formed his first quintet for performances at George Klein's Show Bar in Detroit—an ensemble which stayed together for three years. While the personnel changed occasionally, some of the musicians in the quintet included Ernie Farrow and Will Austin on double bass, Hugh Lawson and Terry Pollard on piano, Louis Hayes on drums, Frank Morelli on baritone saxophone and flute, Curtis Fuller on trombone and Wilbur Harden on flügelhorn.

Also, the On Stage series pictured seems to have been in 1963.

MIKEW-UK
08-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Thom, I think you are correct... could it be an album that never got released?

I guess Keith Hughes would know if anyone does....

thomas96
08-14-2015, 05:16 PM
There were more than a few Workshop Jazz albums that were in the making and never got released, I would bet that was one of them. This is a very cool photo, thanks for posting. I have got absolutely no clue as to who the lady is though.

keith_hughes
08-14-2015, 05:17 PM
According to Lars Bjorn's excellent "Before Motown: A History Of Jazz In Detroit", Frank Morelli played baritone and flute with Yusef Lateef's quintet, joining in 1958. There's a picture of him with the band on page 156 of that book. He cut 9 tracks at Hitsville in April/May 1963 [[as already pointed out, the year in which the albums hanging on the wall were released), probably enough for an album given that jazz tracks don't always fit within the 3 minute pop format; however, there's no indication in paperwork that those tracks were ever assigned to a projected album. Interestingly, one of the tunes cut was titled "Defunk Brothers" ... you'll find it listed in Don't Forget The Motor City [[plug) ...

huntergettingcaptured, is there a logo visible in the bottom r.h. corner of the Frank Morelli picture/album sleeve[[?) by any chance ... a Workshop Jazz logo ... ?

kenneth
08-14-2015, 06:56 PM
It sure looks like it could be the Workshop Jazz logo in the lower right corner of the LP. Wow, what a mystery!

Philles/Motown Gary
08-14-2015, 08:49 PM
You're right, Kenny. From what little we can see, it sure does look like the Workshop Jazz Logo. Huntergettingcaptured, great historical photo! Thanks! It's odd that the album cover for Mary Wells' "Recorded Live On Stage" is conspicuously missing from the wall collage, as it was part of the same "live" series as Marvin Gaye's, The Miracles', and The Marvelettes'. Still cool, though.

johnny_raven
08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Philles ... I believe the Mary Wells is the album behind the woman.

reese
08-14-2015, 09:55 PM
I can only see a small glimpse of the album behind the young woman's head, but I think it might be Stevie Wonder's 12 Year Old Genius Recorded Live album, which had a different cover design than the others.

kenneth
08-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Philles ... I believe the Mary Wells is the album behind the woman.

I think @reese is correct. The little you can see of the album hidden by the lady's head indeed is likely the Stevie Wonder [["12 Year Old Genius") Recorded Live LP, taking into account what little we can see of it and [[more than likely) because of its placing with the other 3 albums on the wall.

The "Recorded Live" banner on the hidden LP looks a little more like the Stevie Wonder LP to me.

But it's the Frank Morelli album which indeed poses a real mystery!

huntergettingcaptured
08-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi Keith, it took some doing but it is indeed a Workshop Jazz logo!

I really appreciate all the replies to this- and sharp eyes! I hadn't even thought about that album cover...

huntergettingcaptured
08-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses! This site is so incredible! I'll keep watching to see if anyone can be our "Columbo" and crack this case...

keith_hughes
08-15-2015, 04:06 AM
Nice work, hunter. Most, maybe all, Workshop Jazz album covers contained a NUMBER under the logo in the bottom r h corner ... wanna make an old discographer's day? Maybe a very hi-res scan [[GIF or TIF) would reveal more than the naked eye can see ...

WSJ 208-211 are all "available", and would fit 1963.

theboyfromxtown
08-15-2015, 04:31 AM
Hunter....

Cal Street believes it might be Ann Dozier - Lamont's first wife. I've also copied in William Stevenson

mysterysinger
08-15-2015, 05:42 AM
The Live albums are all Tamla label ones.

robb_k
08-15-2015, 10:15 AM
I agree that the secretary is NOT Iris Gordy. Iris was my colleague, Tom DePierro's boss for much of his time at Motown. She was in charge of Album Covers, for a while in the late '70s, as I remember.

I found a few Frank Morelli acetates in The Motown Vaults, all of which I liked very much. He was a great flute player.

arr&bee
08-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Isn't that jeannie bradford?

kenneth
08-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Isn't that jeannie bradford?

I think it could be! The features look similar, especially the slight downturn in her smile.

BigAl
08-15-2015, 01:47 PM
I'll have to ask Al. I was only a little kid at the time of that pic.
Should I be flattered or insulted?

carole cucumber
08-15-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm always amazed at the way that camera angles can deceive our vision. All four visible lp covers on the walls are the same size; yet in the photo it appears that Recorded Live The Miracles On Stage cover is larger than the Marvelettes cover.

carole cucumber
08-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Bought this and other photos recently and wondering who this is. Looks like she's working in one of the Hitsville offices, maybe around '62, '63 judging from the albums.

Are the other photos Motown-related as well? Any unusual, previously unseen or rare ones? Do any others have lp jackets on the walls in the background?

marv2
08-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I think it could be! The features look similar, especially the slight downturn in her smile.

That is not Janie. If you saw a picture of her from 1960 [[I have seen one), you would immediately recognize Janie Bradford.

marv2
08-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Should I be flattered or insulted?

I don't know BigAl, because I didn't mean anything by my response. Oh heck, why not feel flattered? LOL!

carole cucumber
08-15-2015, 09:00 PM
I also wonder if those are the lps themselves in the white jackets in and beneath the desk tray to the young woman's right ? The top one seems to bear a Tamla logo.

kenneth
08-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I also wonder if those are the lps themselves in the white jackets in and beneath the desk tray to the young woman's right ? The top one seems to bear a Tamla logo.

Wow, Carole, either your screen resolution or your eyes are a lot better than mine! I can't make out anything resembling a logo. But from the packaging, it definitely looks like an LP in a paper jacket.

carole cucumber
08-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Wow, Carole, either your screen resolution or your eyes are a lot better than mine! I can't make out anything resembling a logo. But from the packaging, it definitely looks like an LP in a paper jacket.

Although there is a fingerprint obscuring some of that portion of the photo , it looks to be the third Tamla logo on the top lp.

kenneth
08-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Although there is a fingerprint obscuring some of that portion of the photo , it looks to be the third Tamla logo on the top lp.

I can make it out now. Carole, I think you should go on "Forensic Files." I didn't even notice the thumb print before!

huntergettingcaptured
08-16-2015, 02:48 AM
Are the other photos Motown-related as well? Any unusual, previously unseen or rare ones? Do any others have lp jackets on the walls in the background?

Hi Carole, nearly everything I bought is Motown-related, and I bought a lot! The man found them, FOUND them sitting in one of those storage units that was up for auction. He didn't quite know who all the performers were, but he did know many were Motown artists photographed by a local Philly photographer. There were also many Philly artists, many I'm guessing who were more local acts. As I sort through them, I'll share some here. I got some amazing pics of the Marvelettes, and Brenda Holloway. Candid pics of the Tempts and Marvin Gaye. I even have one of Smokey and Claudette posing in front of a house, that I'm assuming was their first or a newer one after the success of the Miracles.

I'll check for any other album covers too. And I agree with Kenneth, you do have some SHARP eyes! You got me doing triple looks at that picture!

huntergettingcaptured
08-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Nice work, hunter. Most, maybe all, Workshop Jazz album covers contained a NUMBER under the logo in the bottom r h corner ... wanna make an old discographer's day? Maybe a very hi-res scan [[GIF or TIF) would reveal more than the naked eye can see ...

WSJ 208-211 are all "available", and would fit 1963.

I'm going to do some of the CSI-type work and see if I can uncover an album number...stay tuned!

huntergettingcaptured
08-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Hunter....

Cal Street believes it might be Ann Dozier - Lamont's first wife. I've also copied in William Stevenson

Thanks Xtown!

huntergettingcaptured
08-16-2015, 03:02 AM
This wouldn't by chance be Frances Heard, Motown tape librarian, would it?

Methuselah2
08-16-2015, 06:20 AM
HGC - According to this article, Russ Terrana should be able to answer your question re Frances Heard:

http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2010/09/motown_memories_record_labels.html

thomas96
08-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi Carole, nearly everything I bought is Motown-related, and I bought a lot! The man found them, FOUND them sitting in one of those storage units that was up for auction. He didn't quite know who all the performers were, but he did know many were Motown artists photographed by a local Philly photographer. There were also many Philly artists, many I'm guessing who were more local acts. As I sort through them, I'll share some here. I got some amazing pics of the Marvelettes, and Brenda Holloway. Candid pics of the Tempts and Marvin Gaye. I even have one of Smokey and Claudette posing in front of a house, that I'm assuming was their first or a newer one after the success of the Miracles.

I'll check for any other album covers too. And I agree with Kenneth, you do have some SHARP eyes! You got me doing triple looks at that picture!

Did you get any negatives by chance?

kenneth
08-16-2015, 01:09 PM
That is not Janie. If you saw a picture of her from 1960 [[I have seen one), you would immediately recognize Janie Bradford.

I wonder if one of the other early Motown secretaries, Martha Reeves, would know who it is. Does anyone have a way to show the pic to her?

carole cucumber
08-16-2015, 01:24 PM
I wonder if one of the other early Motown secretaries, Martha Reeves, would know who it is. Does anyone have a way to show the pic to her?

Kenneth,

You say 'other' early Motown secretaries. The young woman may/may not have worked in that capacity.
If you look closely at the photo, she is holding something [with a dark cover, perhaps a book] in her right hand [[almost as if she were trying to hide it).

kenneth
08-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Kenneth,

You say 'other' early Motown secretaries. The young woman may/may not have worked in that capacity.
If you look closely at the photo, she is holding something [with a dark cover, perhaps a book] in her right hand [[almost as if she were trying to hide it).

Well, obviously I thought that because she was sitting at a typewriter.

Roger Polhill
08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
This wouldn't by chance be Frances Heard, Motown tape librarian, would it?
I think you are right hunter.It certainly looks like Fran from the pictures in her book.

Mark Desjardines
08-18-2015, 05:28 AM
When this mystery photo was first posted, Fran Heard's name popped up in my mind, because I had just received an email from her asking me if I would update my review of the second edition of her memoir, "I Remember Motown [[When We Were Just Family)." I actually send her a jpg of the photo in question but she hasn't replied as yet.

woodward
08-18-2015, 02:15 PM
When this mystery photo was first posted, Fran Heard's name popped up in my mind, because I had just received an email from her asking me if I would update my review of the second edition of her memoir, "I Remember Motown [[When We Were Just Family)." I actually send her a jpg of the photo in question but she hasn't replied as yet.

I, too, have also sent her a jpg of the photo but no response either. If it isn't her, she should know who it was [[is). Stay tuned.

woodward
08-19-2015, 04:39 PM
I just heard from Fran Heard. She cannot positively identify the girl, however, she thinks that she looks to be in the QC office which was Billie Jean Brown's area.

If anyone has a way to get in touch with Billie Jean Brown, that might get the answer. I do not know how to do so.

carole cucumber
08-19-2015, 07:20 PM
An address was posted for Billie Jean Brown here:

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/108249

Whether it is current or not, I don't know.

carole cucumber
08-19-2015, 07:28 PM
While on the subject of Billie Jean, I chanced upon this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=YwsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=billie+jean+brown+motown&source=bl&ots=lHDdZTIYDH&sig=1EZyoQUPatv77UR1ZfJgoeNaQEo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBmoVChMI-N7Z94W2xwIVxHI-Ch0LZgBt#v=onepage&q=billie%20jean%20brown%20motown&f=false

R & B Roundup's [[second column first full paragraph) mentions Saundra Edwards & Billie Jean Brown, although the identification of them as the Beljeans on 'Camel Walk' is not correct and the date is off as well.
Perhaps they were the background vocalists for the b-side, 'The Chaperone' .The write-up in TCMS Vol2: 1962 proposes either the Andantes or Billie Jean's group as providing backgrounds.
Could the Beljeans be Saundra & Brenda on Chaperone???

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2015, 08:14 PM
While on the subject of Billie Jean, I chanced upon this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=YwsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=billie+jean+brown+motown&source=bl&ots=lHDdZTIYDH&sig=1EZyoQUPatv77UR1ZfJgoeNaQEo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBmoVChMI-N7Z94W2xwIVxHI-Ch0LZgBt#v=onepage&q=billie%20jean%20brown%20motown&f=false

R & B Roundup's [[second column first full paragraph) mentions Saundra Edwards & Billie Jean Brown, although the identification of them as the Beljeans on 'Camel Walk' is not correct and the date is off as well.
Perhaps they were the background vocalists for the b-side, 'The Chaperone' .The write-up in TCMS Vol2: 1962 proposes either the Andantes or Billie Jean's group as providing backgrounds.
Could the Beljeans be Saundra & Brenda on Chaperone???

Carole.....you found a gem there!

simon.millar
05-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know why the miracles recorded live cover seems reversed, I.e smokey on the left hand side and not the right hand side.... I wondering whether these were proof covers? In which case might not be Stevie?

reese
05-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know why the miracles recorded live cover seems reversed, I.e smokey on the left hand side and not the right hand side.... I wondering whether these were proof covers? In which case might not be Stevie?

Not sure why, but I recall seeing the reverse Miracles cover before, probably on one of the inner sleeves or on the back of another album. So the albums on the wall might very well be proofs, although the cover designs on the other live albums on the wall match the copies that I have.

From the little I can see of the album behind the young woman's head, I believe it is Stevie's live album, which had a different design from the others in the RECORDED LIVE series. The cover posted in one of the posts above is the version that I have of that album.

simon.millar
05-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Yes, the only noticeably different cover is the miracles live and the Frank Morelli. I do find the topic quite interesting as I'm guessing that the format of the Four Tops Breaking Through album was re-used [[conceptionally) for the Willie Tyler album... In fact to me, again, it looks like the image [[outline red package) is a reversal of that proposed for The Four Tops.

booty
05-04-2018, 12:06 PM
According to Lars Bjorn's excellent "Before Motown: A History Of Jazz In Detroit", Frank Morelli played baritone and flute with Yusef Lateef's quintet, joining in 1958. There's a picture of him with the band on page 156 of that book. He cut 9 tracks at Hitsville in April/May 1963 [[as already pointed out, the year in which the albums hanging on the wall were released), probably enough for an album given that jazz tracks don't always fit within the 3 minute pop format; however, there's no indication in paperwork that those tracks were ever assigned to a projected album. Interestingly, one of the tunes cut was titled "Defunk Brothers" ... you'll find it listed in Don't Forget The Motor City [[plug) ...

huntergettingcaptured, is there a logo visible in the bottom r.h. corner of the Frank Morelli picture/album sleeve[[?) by any chance ... a Workshop Jazz logo ... ?

Keith, what were the other tracks recorded by Frank Morelli whist at Motown?