PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross- I Just Called To Say I Love You- 1985

test

honest man
08-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Hello with the passing of Cilla, just thought i'd post a link for another 6os treasued singer, our own Diana to let her know how much she is loved,cheers. https://youtu.be/ANhSCLsq3x0

RobertZ
08-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Hello with the passing of Cilla, just thought i'd post a link for another 6os treasued singer, our own Diana to let her know how much she is loved,cheers. https://youtu.be/ANhSCLsq3x0
Indeed she is, and more evidence that Ms. Ross should get to recording that Stevie Wonder songbook post-haste! Thanks for posting.

thommg
08-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Indeed she is, and more evidence that Ms. Ross should get to recording that Stevie Wonder songbook post-haste! Thanks for posting.

I totally agree. All of her previous Stevie Wonder recordings were fantastic. She should release an entire album of Stevie songs. I would buy that in a hot minute.

Roberta75
08-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Dianes version of Too Shy To say is beutiful.

Roberta

vgalindo
08-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Yes... "Ribbon in the Sky" from Central Park was one of my favorites from the concert. Loved it. Wish she would have done a studio version.

rovereab
08-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I would love to hear Diana sing Stevie's You And I from Talking Book.

sophisticated_soul
08-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I've always thought a "Stevie Wonder Songbook" album would be a natural for Miss Ross. I think "Lately" would be especially perfect for her.

reese
08-03-2015, 06:11 PM
I love her version of BLAME IT ON THE SUN.

arr&bee
08-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Ok, auntie diana sings it real cute.

jobeterob
08-03-2015, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANhSCLsq3x0&feature=youtu.be

Bokiluis
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
It is one of my least favorite Stevie songs. And I do sincerely believe in the Gospel of Wonder.
But Diana makes me like it.
I cannot imagine that Diana hasn't been encouraged to do an album of his songs.
With lazy label heads always advising Heritage Artists to do cover albums, this should have been a no brainer. Though I found merit in "I Love You", even adding a nice touch to well worn classics like "Always and Forever" and "You're So Beautiful to Me", a Stevie Wonder tribute album would have been so much more welcome.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-03-2015, 09:30 PM
I've always loved Diana's versions of "Too Shy To Say", "Overjoyed", and "Someday At Christmas". Her treatments of these Stevie gems were gorgeous!

Bokiluis
08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Yes... "Ribbon in the Sky" from Central Park was one of my favorites from the concert. Loved it. Wish she would have done a studio version.

With that stunning Issey Miyake one-piece, "Ribbon in the Sky" was one of the most thrilling moments during the Central Park concert.
And though some critics thought "Blame it on the Sun" was too heavy on the pathos, her version is totally diva-worthy.
"Overjoyed" from "In Square Circle" and "A Very Special Season" somehow delivers in a holiday spirit.
Add in her sizzlingly look at the Billboard Awards grooving to "Higher Ground" and she truly is a Wonderlove.
Such a missed opportunity not doing an album from the Gospel of Wonder....there's still time if some label head had "Visions"....."in every book it has been written, we are measured by the things we do......if you could give but only words that can lift us higher, then the heart of gold [[& platinum) she will be".
That song was crying out for an extended mix...I could almost hear it. Not a radical mix, just a classic extended mix like "It's My House" or "The Boss", etc.

sansradio
08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
her sizzlingly look at the Billboard Awards grooving to "Higher Ground"

Wait, did Diana actually sing it?

Bokiluis
08-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Wait, did Diana actually sing it?

No, not quite. After she presented Stevie with his Billboard award, Stevie couldn't resist joining the band jamming to "Higher Ground".
Diana remained on stage in that hot mini skirt ensemble she wore around "Take Me Higher". You see Diana, looking sensational dancing to "Higher Ground". [[Hence the word, "groovin"). It lasted for almost 2 minutes. And if you remember, the Billboard Awards that year, was her first public appearance in a long time. Unfortunately, when I have seen the clip posted on YouTube, they edited out those last 2 minutes. But if you ever see that clip unedited , "you're gonna love it". Unfortunately, I have it on VHS, but, no longer have a VCR.

Bluebrock
08-04-2015, 06:18 AM
I've always loved Diana's versions of "Too Shy To Say", "Overjoyed", and "Someday At Christmas". Her treatments of these Stevie gems were gorgeous!
Oh yes indeed!! Add "blame it on the sun" to the list too please.

midnightman
08-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I always loved Diana's interpretations of Stevie's songs. :)

Bokiluis
08-04-2015, 07:05 PM
I know a few professional singers and I have been told that the chord structure and scale of Stevie's songs are apparently very difficult to sing properly.
Clearly, to a lot of posters in this forum, Diana succeeds beautifully.