PDA

View Full Version : Martha & The Vandellas "Live At The Copa" Acetates

test

mysterysinger
08-02-2015, 08:01 AM
and talking of acetates on Ebay, here's one [[4) currently on offer....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARTHA-and-VANDELLAS-Live-At-Copa-DOUBLE-ACETATE-RUNDOWN-DISCS-1-of-a-kind-/141728510373?hash=item20ffad71a5

You'll have to move quickly though.

kenneth
08-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Wow, mysterysinger, what a find! I'm glad to know they are out there. Maybe someday we will actually get to hear them! These have just got to get a legitimate release sometime. It looks like quite a different show than that on the "Live" album though it seems to have been recorded around the same time as "Honey Chile" seems to be the newest song. I don't recall "Honey Chile" being on the "Live" LP, though "Love Bug" was which came out just a bit before it, to my recollection.

Now where is Carole Cucumber when you need her, to validate everything for us?

carlo
08-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing, mysterysinger. I also hope this will get an official release.

There was a different acetate auctioned off and sold in 2013, also containing Martha Reeves & the Vandellas' Copa recordings. The 2013 acetate contained the show from June 23, 1968:

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/231015584649/MARTHA_AND_THE_VANDELLAS__LIVE_AT_THE_COPA__ACETAT E_FOR_UNRELEASED_ALBUM

The acetates currently on Ebay contain recordings from the previous day. The line-up is slightly different, as "Our Day Will Come" was recorded on the 23rd.

carlo
08-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Judy Garland meets with Martha, Lois and Sandra, December 1968, after one of their shows at the Copa...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hIBP8mC5UMM/VZ6XPxCVEGI/AAAAAAAAMfo/pYLr8mCewFM/s1600/copa.jpeg

Lois talks about meeting Judy Garland:

http://thejudygarlandexperience.blogspot.ca/2013_02_01_archive.html

kenneth
08-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Wow, Carlo, great finds and so interesting! A very gracious Lois and a very interesting interview. She's off on her dates though. Judy died in 1969 so Lois and the Vandellas could not have met her in the early 70s.

Do we know the first time the Vandellas played the Copa, or how often? Judy was married to Mickey Deans when she died, but I don't think they'd been married long, so I imagine that the photo that is from 1968 is an accurate date.

theboyfromxtown
08-03-2015, 05:41 AM
It was sold for $751 by a bidder that has only won this item.

RobertZ
08-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Judy Garland meets with Martha, Lois and Sandra, December 1968, after one of their shows at the Copa...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hIBP8mC5UMM/VZ6XPxCVEGI/AAAAAAAAMfo/pYLr8mCewFM/s1600/copa.jpeg

Lois talks about meeting Judy Garland:

http://thejudygarlandexperience.blogspot.ca/2013_02_01_archive.html

Lovely; thanks!

reese
08-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Wow, Carlo, great finds and so interesting! A very gracious Lois and a very interesting interview. She's off on her dates though. Judy died in 1969 so Lois and the Vandellas could not have met her in the early 70s.

Do we know the first time the Vandellas played the Copa, or how often? Judy was married to Mickey Deans when she died, but I don't think they'd been married long, so I imagine that the photo that is from 1968 is an accurate date.

In her book, Martha says they played the Copa four times. But she only details two engagements: one when Lois was a member and her brother was on drums, so they brought their parents in from Detroit to see the show. And another in spring 1969, when Judy Garland came backstage to visit. In her book, she also includes a photo of she, Sandra, and Lois with F. Lee Bailey backstage at the Copa.

I have also seen a picture of the Martha/Lois/Rosalind trio onstage at the Copa.

kenneth
08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
In her book, Martha says they played the Copa four times. But she only details two engagements: one when Lois was a member and her brother was on drums, so they brought their parents in from Detroit to see the show. And another in spring 1969, when Judy Garland came backstage to visit. In her book, she also includes a photo of she, Sandra, and Lois with F. Lee Bailey backstage at the Copa.

I have also seen a picture of the Martha/Lois/Rosalind trio onstage at the Copa.

Thanks Reese! You are an expert on all things Martha. Now if I could only get you to share with me all your secret Martha recordings!

blackguy69
08-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Didn't the vandellas do the copa 2 times in 68? I assumed they were there early in 68 when rosland was there. I know they were there around Xmas 68

Methuselah2
08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Mysterysinger - Thank you for this thread. And Carlo, thank you for the Lois/Judy links. Great stuff. Let me add these 2 great shots to the conversation:

Methuselah2
08-03-2015, 04:56 PM
And one more recent:

Roberta75
08-03-2015, 05:03 PM
And one more recent:

I love love love this.

Thank you for sharing.

Fondly,

Roberta

kenneth
08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Is Michelle's hair in a natural? I don't recall ever seeing her that way. This looks like a "first term" photo because Barack doesn't appear to have any gray in his hair!

Methuselah2
08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Definitely an early White House photo, Kenneth. Haven't seen Michelle's hair like that before either. She looks great.

kenneth
08-03-2015, 05:34 PM
I agree, Methuselah2, she is such a lovely woman. When will we have another like her?

Roberta75
08-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I knew you would, Roberta. When I saw it, I thought "Wonder if Roberta has seen this one? I better post it." Martha looks so wonderful--happy and beautiful. As do the Obamas.

I hadnt
but im real happy you posted it dear. Three of my favorite people. The best President Ever. The most beautifull First Lady ever and the greatest singer on the planet the other First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves.

Thank you again.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

reese
08-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks Reese! You are an expert on all things Martha. Now if I could only get you to share with me all your secret Martha recordings!

Thanks for the nice words. But I have no Martha recordings other than those that have been officially released. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else. :)

reese
08-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Is Michelle's hair in a natural? I don't recall ever seeing her that way. This looks like a "first term" photo because Barack doesn't appear to have any gray in his hair!

I haven't seen that show in a while. But I think Michelle's hair was just brushed back. This photo is sort of grainy.

kenneth
08-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the nice words. But I have no Martha recordings other than those that have been officially released. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else. :)

I just thought that because I think you knew about that "Rainbow" album which I had never heard of before hearing about it here.

reese
08-03-2015, 07:17 PM
This article has Martha and the Vandellas debuting at the Copa on June 20, 1968.

http://www.mcrfb.com/?p=13267

RossHolloway
08-04-2015, 10:00 AM
This article has Martha and the Vandellas debuting at the Copa on June 20, 1968.

http://www.mcrfb.com/?p=13267

That was a great review, now I REALLY want to hear this performance!

mysterysinger
08-05-2015, 06:20 AM
So the tapes will be somewhere in the Motown vaults? Wonder if it could be, yet another project for ACE and Keith Hughes? More likely, I suspect, that it could end up as a digital release though. What would the cover look like - one unlikely example...

kenneth
08-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Looks good to me!

Sharpmoves
08-05-2015, 02:02 PM
What a great thread! just catching up with this. I would also very much like to see a release of the Vandellas Copa recordings. The image below should certainly be included in the booklet ;) - this one has Roz and Lois alongside a fabulous-looking Miss Martha! What a show it must have been.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/87/25/52/87255244e0383931554a73461d96f53c.jpg

kenneth
08-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Wow, what a great photo! So the Copa had its own showgirls? Were they a warm up act to the big names? Were their routines similar to the Rockettes at Radio City? I never saw a show like that but still I miss the glamor of it!

supremester
08-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Ross - I think I have this on a CD somewhere - I'll check this weekend.
That was a great review, now I REALLY want to hear this performance!

RossHolloway
08-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Ross - I think I have this on a CD somewhere - I'll check this weekend.
That would be awesome!

kenneth
08-05-2015, 03:12 PM
That would be awesome!

May I beg, borrow or steal a copy as well? Please!!!

I have Supremes final show in Montreux [[?) or Monte Carlo [[?). I forgot now. If you want something in return!

supremester
08-05-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't need anything back - I love sharing stuff and think we're all in it together, but thank you......just please REMIND ME - I have CRS and am very busy this week. I still need to upload another lost surprise. So a reminder would be wonderful.

RossHolloway
08-05-2015, 04:12 PM
I don't need anything back - I love sharing stuff and think we're all in it together, but thank you......just please REMIND ME - I have CRS and am very busy this week. I still need to upload another lost surprise. So a reminder would be wonderful.
You got it!

kenneth
08-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Thank you so much! But I do have lots - just not lots of stuff that's not available. Of course much of what used to be quite rare is now out there on Hallmark [[Twistin' Kings, Gospel Stars, Columbus Mann). But anything you need, just ask. Thanks again! I have wanted to hear this show for years!

Sharpmoves
08-06-2015, 05:58 AM

Alas, I don't have anything that's not available, but I would really love to hear this legendary recording just once. Might you be prepared to add me to your loans list too please?

mysterysinger
09-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Bringing back to the top to complement the other MR&V Live discussion...

antceleb12
09-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Judy Garland married Mickey Deans in January 1969, shortly before her death, but were engaged briefly at the end of 1968. So this date could be accurate.