test

marv2
07-21-2015, 02:29 PM

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x45920640/Supreme-symphony

Supreme symphony
Jul. 19, 2015 @ 12:01 AM

By TAYLOR STUCK
Related Content

Gallery: Supremes' Mary Wilson plays Pops [[Story)

HUNTINGTON - A swampy riverfront and hot air forced a change of venue for the second Picnic with the Pops on Saturday, but Mary Wilson of The Supremes still brought the heat to the cool Big Sandy Superstore Arena for a Motown-themed night.

Originally made up of Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Wilson, The Supremes racked up hit after hit with No. 1 Motown chart toppers like "Baby Love," "Come See About Me," "Back In My Arms Again" and "Stop! In The Name of Love."

Ross eventually left for a solo career in 1970 and the group continued in various incarnations until the members went their separate ways in the late 1970s. Still, the legacy created by the 1960s version of the group was complete. The original Supremes would go onto be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame a decade later.

Wilson, now in her 70s, performed with the Huntington Symphony Orchestra for what has become the biggest Pops season yet. When the show didn't feature Wilson, guests heard the symphony play popular Michael Jackson songs.

It was Jacque Johnson's first time at the Pops. She said she remembers The Supremes from her childhood, so when she heard one was still performing, she knew she couldn't miss it.

"If she's here to perform then I'm here to support her," Johnson said.

The show had to be moved indoors because the week's wet weather left the river high and grass muddy. Saturday also turned out to be one of, if not the hottest days of the summer so far. Johnson said she was a little disappointed, but she understood.

"It's probably better this way," she said.

Cidi Taylor, Toni Phas, Katie Cardwell and Eileen Walkers were at the show together.

Taylor said they never want to miss Picnic with the Pops.

"The symphony is always magnificent," she said.

Taylor said they got to have a taste of The Supremes.

The next Picnic with the Pops will be what symphony executive director T. Hogan Haas called a pure redneck country good time. Country legend Susan Bogus will lead the symphony to round out the season on Aug. 8.

Regular general admission tickets are $20 and admission is free for those 12 and under.

Tickets are available at the HSO Office, 763 3rd Ave., Mug & Pia in Huntington, Alladin's in Ashland, or online at www.huntingtonsymphony.org. Individual seats and tables are still available. Discounts are available for groups and other organizations.

Follow reporter Taylor Stuck on Twitter @TaylorStuckHD.

thommg
07-21-2015, 02:49 PM
What a fantastic shot of Mary!

marv2
07-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Here are a few more..............

luke
07-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Teriffic. Supreme indeed. Thanks Marv.

supremester
07-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Wow she looks great - so many new gowns lately too.

REDHOT
07-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for postin Marv

blueskies
07-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Wow....beautiful pics of Mary.

detmotownguy
07-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Very nice photos Marv. The Supreme Supreme maintaining the legacy.

marv2
07-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Teriffic. Supreme indeed. Thanks Marv.

You are welcome. She is just too much!

marv2
07-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Very nice photos Marv. The Supreme Supreme maintaining the legacy.

Thanks Detmotownguy. Mary embodies Motown and everything Maxine Powell taught!

marv2
07-21-2015, 10:20 PM
I hope someone recorded this concert. Even the audio would be nice to have.

marv2
07-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks for postin Marv

You are most welcome Redhot!

Philles/Motown Gary
07-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Wow, Marv! Thanks for sharing these impressive shots. Mary radiates Motown Supremacy.

marv2
07-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Philles/Motown Gary, you are very welcome and thanks!

marv2
07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Mary is a smart woman. She has developed several shows to keep her various audiences and fans happy:

Her Supremes Show [[combined with some Rock elements)
Her Up Close Jazz and Standards
Her Lena Horne Show and of course her Symphony Concert.
Dare to Dream Lecture and Gown Exhibit are a whole other market.

arr&bee
07-23-2015, 07:20 PM
She'll never have a better backing band than this one, mary's still a beauty.

marv2
07-23-2015, 07:25 PM
She'll never have a better backing band than this one, mary's still a beauty.

Hey JAI, did you know it was through Mary Wilson that Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin hooked up again in the 80s?

arr&bee
07-23-2015, 10:27 PM
No i didn't,always something to learn here in the[sdf]classroom.

detmotownguy
07-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Thanks Detmotownguy. Mary embodies Motown and everything Maxine Powell taught!
Yes good point! Additionally, Mary is intrinsically motivated because of her love for the fans, the music, peers, and her life experience. And we can't forget the respect of an extrodinarily long list of peers in the industry. She has never had an out of control ego. Gotta love Ms. Wilson.

marv2
07-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Yes good point! Additionally, Mary is intrinsically motivated because of her love for the fans, the music, peers, and her life experience. And we can't forget the respect of an extrodinarily long list of peers in the industry. She has never had an out of control ego. Gotta love Ms. Wilson.

That is all true. I've seen everyone from Al Green to Stevie Nicks in Mary's audiences.

detmotownguy
07-24-2015, 12:30 AM
I was at the show where mary talks abt the Pointer Sisters in her book! Saw Lois Reeves at Mary's book signing in Detroit. Man she received a nice round of applause. Mary always graciously acknowledges other performers as does Martha and Smokey.

BigAl
07-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Mary is a smart woman. She has developed several shows to keep her various audiences and fans happy:

Her Supremes Show [[combined with some Rock elements)
Her Up Close Jazz and Standards
Her Lena Horne Show and of course her Symphony Concert.
Dare to Dream Lecture and Gown Exhibit are a whole other market.

She's indeed wise to diversify in this way. I've not had an opportunity to see her Lena tribute but have seen the others. My favorite is Up Close because those numbers really showcase her talents to best advantage. In that set, for those who expect at least some Supremes' material, she includes "My World Is Empty Without You," which she often will segue into from "Fever," which is a nice touch, and works well within the context.

Her lecture, however, could be fine-tuned a good deal — especially her PowerPoint images, which, unfortunately, are not good. She speaks extemporaneously with very few notes, and as a result often gets chronologies wrong, sometimes misidentifies people in the photos, accidentally clicks ahead or sometimes backward with the images, digresses and sometimes loses her place, that sort of thing. Still, her warmth, humor, and personality create an immediate rapport with the audience which makes the technical shortcomings and sometimes tangential banter not only forgivable but endearing. Still, I wish she could find someone to help polish the PowerPoint images and get her more familiar with its operation.