PDA

View Full Version : Did Obama Fold Like a Lawn Chair on the Tax Bill Compromise?....

test

marxthespot_
12-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Today President Obama gave in to the Republicans regarding the extension of Bush's tax cuts for two years to include the wealthy....In exchange he did get extension of unemployment benefits - but for only 13 months.

What have we just witnessed?

Kamasu_Jr
12-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Today President Obama gave in to the Republicans regarding the extension of Bush's tax cuts for two years to include the wealthy....In exchange he did get extension of unemployment benefits - but for only 13 months.

What have we just witnessed?

OK. So we're witnessing a President realizing it's a new era in Washington. He's realized he has to compromise on some things and that he can't do whatever he pleases just because he won election a few years ago. He still has his veto power and the Democrats still control the Senate, but he is smart enough to realize that he has to do like other past leaders and work with both parties.
In this instance, a lot of people were hurting and their daily lives should not be tied up in political redtape. Unemployment should never have been tied to those tax cuts, but that's the game the Rrepublicans played. The Rrepublicans clearly don't care if millions of unemployed, poor people get weekly unemployment checks, but they do want the wealthy to have more tax cuts.

Doug-Morgan
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Agreed. President Obama practiced a little political realism here. He was not going to get the tax cut recinded for those making 250k or more, and his choice was pretty much take the deal or get nothng. Politicians now a days seem to be too hell bent with throwing out the baby with the bath water, witness some of the actions of both wings of either party.

He did get a Social Security tax decrease and the extention of unemployment benifits out of the deal, so it wasn't a loss, and the sooner the base of both parties realise that compromise is sometimes needed, the sooner they'll be able to get some work done.

soulster
12-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, Obama sold out, like a little bitch. I'm quickly losing all respect for him. Shit! We didn't vote for another McCain, we voted for the guy who said he'd fight! he said he'd releap the Bush tax cuts. This now means he's lost leverage if he should run again, and the deficit won't be reduced.

The good thing is that he hasn't signed the deal. It ain't done yet. Problem is, now the republikkkans have a little bitch to play with. The tax cut is a fight we could have won.

Kamasu_Jr
12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Agreed. President Obama practiced a little political realism here. He was not going to get the tax cut recinded for those making 250k or more, and his choice was pretty much take the deal or get nothng. Politicians now a days seem to be too hell bent with throwing out the baby with the bath water, witness some of the actions of both wings of either party.

He did get a Social Security tax decrease and the extention of unemployment benifits out of the deal, so it wasn't a loss, and the sooner the base of both parties realise that compromise is sometimes needed, the sooner they'll be able to get some work done.

I don't give a damn about those Americans making 250 K or more a year. I am concerned if these tax cuts will be absorbed by middle and low income Americans. The wealthy can afford to pay more in taxes and should pay more. They fund social programs for those who are less fortunate. I'm all for a little compromise at times, but I don't want to see more harm done to the working poor and middle class. I don't want to see Obama giving away too much like President Clinton who allowed the Republicans to change the welfare system to what we have now, which is nothing to help those who always find themselves unemployed.

nysister
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
If all the democrats would have backed Obama, we would have won, but the blue dogs in the democratic party and those with no backbone did not back him. They let the talking heads in the media and the tea party scare them. Here is the difference between the Dems and the Repubs, whether they agree or disagree, the Repubs all vote the party line, and the Dems don't because they are so diverse with their own agendas. Conservative Dems won't support liberal agenda and moderates won't support conservative and liberal agendas and thus, no unity and nothing gets done. Since Obama has won the office, I feel that he is fighting this battle alone. All of these Dems go on Rachel Maddow, CNN, etc., and talk up a good game, but when the rubber meets the road, they are no where to be found and Obama is put out there like a lamb to the slaughter. The repubs never, never did that to the 2 Bushes!! I recall remember Obama saying that he is going to need our help that he won't be able to do it by himself, but I guess everybody was so caught up in the hoopala they forgot that part of his speech. I think Obama did what he did because he has no faith in his own party standing by him because they have no backbone as proven by the healthcare debate. That is why there is an urgent need to focus on local elections moreso than than presidential elections because these are the folks that pass or not pass legislation that effects our day-today lives. I may not support all of his actions, but I support my President because it took more than 8 years for the U.S. to get into this mess that we are in, and it is going to take more than 2 years to get us out of it. So in the words of Betty Davis, hold on to your hats because it is going to be bumpy ride!

soulster
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
If all the democrats would have backed Obama, we would have won, but the blue dogs in the democratic party and those with no backbone did not back him. They let the talking heads in the media and the tea party scare them. Here is the difference between the Dems and the Repubs, whether they agree or disagree, the Repubs all vote the party line, and the Dems don't because they are so diverse with their own agendas.

And that's repubs win: they close ranks at the critical times. No matter how much one of their reeks, they all hold their nose and vote their ideology. Obviously, the dems haven't learned that lesson. Do you want to be right, or do you want to win? You can't do what's right if you don't win!

And, Obama should have fought the battle.

stephanie
12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
NYSister I couldnt have said it any better,
Steph

marxthespot_
12-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Because Obama & the Democrats have caved so often in the last two years, and have allowed the Republicans to control the debate on all the major issues, it is no wonder that this "compromise" or this second "shellacking" happened. At some point, when your opponent loses respect for you, your options are basically gone....

It just goes to show that it doesn't matter what American citizens need, Republicans are more interested in winning the fight [[for their tax breaks) than doing what is best for the country and the Democrats cannot get their act together.