PDA

View Full Version : Michael Parks, Jennifer Jones, & London In THE IDOL [[1966) - 110 mins.

test

Methuselah2
07-10-2015, 03:19 AM
Directed by Daniel Petrie

When the movie was originally released in 1966, it garnered some attention in the US. Not crazy about it at the time; not crazy about it now. But seeing it almost 50 years later, at least I enjoyed watching Michael Parks, Jennifer Jones, and John Leyton. And, of course, London [[as far as I can tell) in the mid-60s. I can't really recommend it but I wanted to help make it available to those of you who might be interested or have wanted to see it.

https://youtu.be/xMe1UWcZZQA

Thanks to Jpspin2122 for this YouTube posting.

marybrewster
07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks for posting.

Jennifer Jones is among my favorite actresses. An Academy Award winner in the 1940's, she's perhaps best remembered for her role in the spectacular "The Towering Inferno" in the 70's.

Ms. Jones had quite an amazing life and career; she unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide in the late 60's; her daughter eventually and unfortunately, was more successful. Ironically, Ms. Jones later in life married a man whose son also had committed suicide. After "Towering" [[her last role), she spent most of her retired life advocating for the prevention of.

Methuselah2
07-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Glad you like the posting, MB.

From what I've read about THE IDOL, Kim Stanley was originally slated to do it; Jennifer Jones was then offered it just a few days before filming was to start. It's a difficult and complex role and Jones was very brave to do it. And she had some very highly charged scenes that she did exceptionally well. She didn't hold back and did it very skillfully. Also read that she remained friends with Michael Parks afterwards.

JimBagley
07-13-2015, 02:05 PM
I am surprised Michael Parks did not become a bigger star. Was he difficult to work with?

Methuselah2
07-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Jim - Here's an interesting article that addresses Parks' career path:

http://the-artifice.com/michael-parks-blacklisting/