PDA

View Full Version : MARY WELLS- Everybody Needs Love

test

marv2
07-04-2015, 03:51 PM
A great version here. Right near the end it sounds exactly like Eddie Kendricks in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=165&v=h55sEf7IL8E

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
07-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Not sure but always thought The Pips version was the best :p

midnightman
07-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I didn't really like Mary's version. Gladys still rules with her version.

mowest
07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
A great version here. Right near the end it sounds exactly like Eddie Kendricks in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=165&v=h55sEf7IL8E
Supposedly Eddie Kendricks joined the Love-Tones in the background!

arr&bee
07-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Yep that's eddie.

BigAl
07-05-2015, 09:40 AM
A number of Hitsville artists covered songs originally recorded by Mary, and most improved upon them, making Mary's versions sound more like demos. Gladys & Pips improved "Everybody Needs Love." Brenda Holloway did "When I'm Gone" and "I'll Be Available," both of which were much better. Tammi Terrell did "He's the One I Love," in a somewhat different and better arrangement. The only songs I can think of which Mary did better were "Honey Boy" and "What's Easy for Two". The Supremes' and Marvelettes' versions just didn't have the punch and sparkle that Mary's did.

Bluebrock
07-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I didn't really like Mary's version. Gladys still rules with her version.
Yep. I am with you all the way on that one midnightman, but each to their own i say.

luke
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Guess I'm in minority but I think this is a great version and Mary's performance superb!

mowest
07-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Big Al said: "A number of Hitsville artists covered songs originally recorded by Mary, and most improved upon them, making Mary's versions sound more like demos."

I always thought that Mary's versions of "Everybody Needs Love" and, especially, "When I'm Gone" had not be finished for release. If they had gotton more instrumentation I think they would have then been "up to snuff."

Philles/Motown Gary
07-05-2015, 11:56 PM
My favorite version of "Everybody Needs Love" is by The Temptations. Smokey's uptempo shuffle-beat, string-laden production is light and breezy -- the epitome of Motown's 1965/66 sound.

motony
07-06-2015, 07:45 AM
that is the Temptations on background. Marys version is the original and done 2 years before Gladys Knight & the Pips totally different track.

theboyfromxtown
07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
My favorite version of "Everybody Needs Love" is by The Temptations. Smokey's uptempo shuffle-beat, string-laden production is light and breezy -- the epitome of Motown's 1965/66 sound.

Gary - It was a Norman Whitfield production when I last looked!

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
...who, I believe, was the producer for all the artists who recorded 'Everybody Needs Love', including The Velvelettes' own version, from the following year....but then.... you were just going to tell us that, weren't you, theboyfromxtown....:)

theboyfromxtown
07-06-2015, 10:51 AM
...who, I believe, was the producer for all the artists who recorded 'Everybody Needs Love', including The Velvelettes' own version, from the following year....but then.... you were just going to tell us that, weren't you, theboyfromxtown....:)

LOL.....well someone has to blow their trumpet!

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Meanwhile, the rest of us leave it to the redoubtable Motown brass section to do just that.;)

thommg
07-06-2015, 12:47 PM
I love Mary on this track. She sounds very polished and easy. She brings a smoothness to it that Gladys doesn't. Just two different styles of vocals. And I would say Eddie Kendricks is very noticeable on background way before that final phrase. Once someone said Temptations, I could make out all the voices there.

motony
07-06-2015, 01:12 PM
If Mary had stayed at Motown, I think her version would have been a future B side that would have charted.

arr&bee
07-06-2015, 01:40 PM
If mary had stayed at motown..diana ross would still be in the supremes...opps!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
07-07-2015, 06:05 AM
Gary - It was a Norman Whitfield production when I last looked!
I stand corrected, boyfromxtown. The Tempt's uptempo version sure sounds like a Smokey production, though, unlike Mary's and Gladys' slower versions.

Bluebrock
07-07-2015, 07:37 AM
If mary had stayed at motown..diana ross would still be in the supremes...opps!!!

Who knows? Things may have turned out quite differently had Mary stayed. We shall never know.

rrussi
07-07-2015, 08:03 AM
As Tony stated Mary's version is the original with backup vocals by the Temptations. I do believe this song is completed for release as was When I'm Gone. Smokey used the same backing track for Brenda Holloway but added some strings. Brenda also recorded I'll Be Available using the same backing track. However, Smokey produced a new backing track for Brenda's version of Operator. Mary left the label right before they had started adding strings to the recordings, although not long after she left they began to use them. Maybe Smokey would've added strings to When I'm Gone, but I always believed it was complete and he had told someone when asked about the song that he liked Mary's version better. But then he actually wrote the song for her.

BigAl
07-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Who knows? Things may have turned out quite differently had Mary stayed. We shall never know.
Mary possessed a measure of star-quality, no argument, and, before Diane got up to speed, was certainly Gordy's best bet for crossover success, especially after "My Guy" rose to the tops of the charts. Even had she not gone for the carrot Morty Craft dangled in front of her and she'd stayed at Hitsville, she would have been no match for Diane once the latter got rolling. She, Diane, was in all probability much sharper when it came to knowing the best angles and how to employ them, and she was relentless in her ambition and drive. I suspect Mary was more inclined to follow bad leads and let other people [[notably Herman) influence her career moves. Diane seemed to be more showbiz-savvy and there's usually only room in any given hive for one queen bee.

RossHolloway
07-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Well it seems that Norman Whitfield really believe in the song because he produced it on SIX different Motown artists:

Mary Wells 2/20/64
Jimmy Ruffin 4/28/65
The Temptations 5/13/65
The Velvelettes 4/5/66
Gladys Knight & The Pips 4/30/66 - single release 6/12/67
The Miracles 9/14/66

To my ears the definitive versions are the two done by Gladys Knight & The Pips and the Velvelettes.

BigAl
07-07-2015, 09:00 AM
To my ears the definitive versions are the two done by Gladys Knight & The Pips and the Velvelettes.

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, those two versions might have used the same instrumental track. On the Velvelettes' version, it doesn't sound like Cal's taking the lead. Sounds like too high a register. I'm guessing this is the latter-day grouping with Cal, Sandy and Annette. Anyone know the score on this?

reese
07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, those two versions might have used the same instrumental track. On the Velvelettes' version, it doesn't sound like Cal's taking the lead. Sounds like too high a register. I'm guessing this is the latter-day grouping with Cal, Sandy and Annette. Anyone know the score on this?

I thought it was Cal, but theboyfromxtown would know better. The track seems a bit too high for Gladys as well, although her vocal turned out fantastic.

RossHolloway
07-07-2015, 10:02 AM

It definitely sounds like Cal on lead to my ears, its also sounds like the Andantes singing in the background.

theboyfromxtown
07-07-2015, 02:06 PM
It definitely sounds like Cal on lead to my ears, its also sounds like the Andantes singing in the background.

Yep...Cal and the Andantes.