PDA

View Full Version : Motown Unreleased

test

Cadeho
07-04-2015, 02:41 PM
I can't wait to see what becomes available for release this year of 1965. But, when I read of other unreleased versions of songs or read of acetates of songs still in the vault from 1961-1964, I wonder what is going to happen to those songs? Did the copyright expire on them and Universal can't make money off them now? There's a lot of stuff still missing I am sure people would love to hear it. Are there still even older songs left from 1959-60?

RossHolloway
07-04-2015, 09:57 PM
That's a good question about songs from 61-64. I thought with the 1964 release there would have been tracks from Liz Land, Martha & The Vandellas, Sam Ward, the Velvelettes or Stevie Wonder. I do wonder how Motown Universal decides what tracks and what artists get releases.

keith_hughes
07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I understand that the ownership of unreleased recordings more than 50 years old reverts to the artist[[s) and heirs.

As for "how Motown Universal decides", sometimes they don't the right to issue any, or some, recordings by certain artists. Sometimes there are cases [[e.g. the Velvelettes!) where it seems there are no unreleased recordings left in the Vaults. [[But we never say never ...)

"Motown Unreleased 1965" is not a certain-to-happen release, though I am hopeful.

booty
07-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Is it conceivable that in the case of artists who recorded a lot of material that remains unreleased, that after 50 years, they or their estate could release these without any payment to Universal. Could this be why we saw the release last year of so much material on Dorsey Burnett with Universal pre-empting this possibility by extending the copyright.

keith_hughes
07-05-2015, 06:18 PM
The Burnette unreleased 1964 tracks were originally destined for the main 1964 release. I think Harry just thought it would be nice to present a "Complete" collection as a separate release.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
The Burnette unreleased 1964 tracks were originally destined for the main 1964 release. I think Harry just thought it would be nice to present a "Complete" collection as a separate release.

And it was much appreciated, Keith. Harry is always thinking of -- and thinking LIKE -- the fans. Dorsey Burnette's Motown recordings will never rate among my favorite tracks out of Hitsville, but it's great to have them in my Motown collection just the same. A big thanks to Harry, you, and your wonderful team for making such rare treats possible.