PDA

View Full Version : Ahmet Ertegun.......What Do We Know About Him?

test

marv2
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Another recent thread about New York City's contributions to Soul Music led me to the idea of discussing the life and achievements of one of the Music Industry's most significant figures, Mr. Ahmet Ertegun, President of Atlantic Records. What do we know about him?

robb_k
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
He grew up the son of Turkish diplomats to USA, living in Washington, DC. He cultivated a love for Jazz music, which broadened later, to include Blues and Gospel music, and the African-American roots of these music forms and Rhythm and Blues.

He and his younger brother founded Atlantic Records, to provide an outlet for such music, and to try to give it more exposure, to bring it more into the mainstream of America's culture.

marv2
12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
He grew up the son of Turkish diplomats to USA, living in Washington, DC. He cultivated a love for Jazz music, which broadened later, to include Blues and Gospel music, and the African-American roots of these music forms and Rhythm and Blues.

He and his younger brother founded Atlantic Records, to provide an outlet for such music, and to try to give it more exposure, to bring it more into the mainstream of America's culture.

Show off! LOL! Just kidding, thanks Robb

spinningsoul
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Otis Redding couldn't pronounce his name. Instead, he called him "Omelet." Ertegun was making a ton of money off of him through their Stax distribution deal, so he didn't correct him.

Redding would call the Atlantic offices, ask for "Omelet" and the switchboard operators knew to put him right through to the office line.

marv2
12-07-2010, 08:34 AM
That is funny! LOL! Thanks Colton

randy_russi
12-07-2010, 09:40 AM
The year he died, I believe 2007, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame did a big tribute to him on the "live" broadcast. It was
quite extensive with Aretha singing and paying tribute.

Nothing But Soul
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
That anecdote about Ahmet Ertegun and Otis Redding reminds me of speculation I have read that Ertegun and Jerry Wexler [[Atlantic A&R man and producer) were plotting to sign Otis directly to Atlantic or Atco prior to Redding's tragic death in December 1967. Atlantic and Stax had a less than amicable parting of the ways in 1968, and if the speculation about wanting to sign Otis Redding is true, Atlantic may have been planning for the split with Stax well in advance of when it actually happened.

reese
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
In his book, Jerry Wexler wrote that Otis came to him and asked that he produce Otis' next album. Jerry wondered how that would fly with the Stax folks, and Otis assured him that he would work it out. Otis' manager said that there was also talk about a duet album with Aretha. Unfortunately, Otis passed before any of this happened.

I gather that the Stax / Atlantic relationship was a bit frayed by that point anyway. There was disagreement over mixes. And of course, there was the clause that gave Atlantic ownership of all of the Stax masters. And I recall reading that Stax had sort of put of lockdown on Atlantic artists coming down and using their facilities, which is why Jerry shopped around and found the Fame studios in Alabama.

Motown_M_1056
12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
In his book, Jerry Wexler wrote that Otis came to him and asked that he produce Otis' next album. Jerry wondered how that would fly with the Stax folks, and Otis assured him that he would work it out. Otis' manager said that there was also talk about a duet album with Aretha. Unfortunately, Otis passed before any of this happened.

I gather that the Stax / Atlantic relationship was a bit frayed by that point anyway. There was disagreement over mixes. And of course, there was the clause that gave Atlantic ownership of all of the Stax masters. And I recall reading that Stax had sort of put of lockdown on Atlantic artists coming down and using their facilities, which is why Jerry shopped around and found the Fame studios in Alabama.

Ahmet Ertegun used to give some of the most elegant dinner parties at his home in New York. He lived well and it showed it. He was something of a fixture on the New York social scene. He & his wife were part of the social elite.
Bette Midler once said Ahmet & other Atlantic execs used to show up at some of her concerts with
these young "broads" who were clearly not their wives and it would annoy her. She'd fuss them out about it, but it was just something that Ahmet & these other guys did.

reese
12-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Aretha referred to Ahmet as a man of the utmost taste, and recalled fondly that whenever he was in Detroit, he would make a point to visit. She would cook dinner, and they would listen to old records. Whenever I caught Aretha in NYC, Ahmet was in the audience.

She also called his widow Mica one of the most chi-chi decorators. She made a point out of giving a toast to her during the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame tribute to Ahmet.

randy_russi
12-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I think Otis Redding WAS originally signed to Atlantic, but when Stax began they kinda "leased" him to Stax/Volt.
This is why when Stax split from being distributed by Atlantic [[after Otis' death), all Otis Redding recordings
were issued on Atco. Also, Sam & Dave were an Atlantic act and after the split their records too were on
the Atlantic label. That's what I seem to remember.

marv2
12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Here is an amazing, an excellent interview Ahmet Ertegun did with Charlie Rose in 2005. Mr. Ertegun is definitely one of those individuals I wished I had the opportunity to have met:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2314667276692736210#

RossHolloway
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
PBS had a show on him and Atlantic Records less than two weeks ago. I was up until almost 2am watching it. If they repeat the program its definitely worth watching it. It's pretty amazing some of the artist that have been signed to that label from early r&b pioneers like Ray Charles, to Aretha. The program quoted him as once saying that there were two types of American music, the music done by blacks and the music that imitated them.

Nothing But Soul
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Ahmet Ertegun knew how to make great records--not just R&B records, but records in many genres, including rock. I remember reading that it was Ahmet's idea to have the drums come in [[3 minutes and 40 seconds into the song) on Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight." To me, that's the most exciting part of that record and what helped to make it a hit!

marv2
12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I loved that particular song by Phil Collins. Ahmet was a very talented man and had a great sense of humor.

marv2
12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
From the life and times of Ahmet Ertegun....man he knew EVERYONE!

marv2
12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
It seems that Ahmet was at the epicenter of the music business for decades!

marv2
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
He is one I could have spent hours talking to and questioning about everything!

marv2
12-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I am amazed by all the artists he was involved with and all the people his work touched.

tamla617
12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Ross Holloway
that remark he made was spot on and funny

marv2
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
From Big Joe Turner in the 40's to Kid Rock in the 00's....whew!

marv2
12-10-2010, 05:24 PM
He's even worked with Dee Dee Sharp! LOL!

jonc
12-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Great photos Marv. I absolutely marvel at your collection.

You really should insist that the photo stock houses remove their logo when you purchase rights managed images. A loyal customer like you shouldn't be treated so shabbily.

randy_russi
12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Love that last photo! Kenny Gamble, Dee Dee Sharp, Jerry Wexler, & Ahment when Dee Dee signed with Atlantic-Atco.