PDA

View Full Version : What Cds are you currently listening to [[for folks who still like to listen to entire

test

JimBagley
07-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Monday night I listened to a CD of Joe Simon's Sound Stage 7 recordings [[1966-1970).
Tuesday night it was a retrospective of Joe Simon's Spring Years [[1970-1977).
Last night - after watching the Unsung Revisited episode that featured Miki Howard - it was Rhino's Very Best Of Miki Howard.

Jerry Oz
07-02-2015, 01:43 PM
No soul records. I've been listening to the BoDeans and Alabama Shakes. The recent news of racial tension led me to listen to some of my old Fishbone CDs. They suddenly became relevant to me for more than the music.

arr&bee
07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Do they still make em?

RobertZ
07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Sunday: Afternoon, Leon Bridges; evening: Nina Simone’s “Baltimore”and Jimmy Scott’s “Dream”
Monday: Stevie Nicks’ “In Your Dreams”
Tuesday: Martha Reeves’ “The Rest of My Life”
Wednesday: Best Coast’s “CaliforniaNights”
Right now: Carly Simon’s “Boys In The Trees”

Methuselah2
07-02-2015, 07:51 PM
A SINGLE MAN [[2009) - Soundtrack

blueskies
07-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Peggy Lee live at the Copa
Handel's Water Music
Mahler's 'Song of the Earth'
Lucia di Lammermoor with Joan Sutherland
Yep, still love those old CD's.

splanky
07-03-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure I understand this thread...I have too many cds to get rid of them for one thing
and they are still being issued so I'm picking up new or newer music all the time. Regardless
of the socio-politcal climate of the country or world for that matter, I'm still listening to a
wide mix of styles and genres and don't give a moose's booty if they are not popular or familiar to the itune generation. I recently bought my first mp3 player but I'm still listening
to my stuff on cd, vinyl and even cassette, as volatile as that format is. Today, I'm enjoying
a chick named Somi, tommorow who knows...

JimBagley
07-03-2015, 12:47 PM
This thread was merely intended as a place to list what CDs/albums one is currently listening to, as opposed to an individual single/track as discussed on another thread. I put it in the Clubhouse in the HOPES that people would feel relaxed to mention whatever music has currently caught their fancy. No deep thought is intended here. Just what someone is listening to and perhaps what inspired them to pull the recording out of their collection at this time. Jim

144man
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
I've just bought the Fantastic Four's "The Lost Motown Album", so I'll shortly be listening to that.

sophisticated_soul
07-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Faithful - Dusty Springfield: I love that these songs have finally been collected, remastered and released as an official Dusty Springfield album, as originally intended. It's a wonderful album [[with a great booklet) the material is first class and Dusty is in great voice. I've been playing it over and over.

Definitely - Dusty Springfield: This 1968 UK album was released a year before the international release of Dusty's 1969 seminal recording "Dusty In Memphis". Along with "A Brand New Me" [[1970) and now with "Faithful" [[intended for 1971) we have a quadrilogy of Dusty at her finest.

soulster
07-03-2015, 04:41 PM
No soul records. I've been listening to the BoDeans and Alabama Shakes. The recent news of racial tension led me to listen to some of my old Fishbone CDs. They suddenly became relevant to me for more than the music.

Alright! Another Fishbone fan around here!

I don't listen to CDs, specifically, as all of my music has been ripped to hard drives.

What I have been listening to, are my year-by-year compilations because i've been making sure everything is 100% properly tagged to my liking, with correct artwork. I'm up to 1986, and I haven't enjoyed the 80s music as much as I am now!

JimBagley
07-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Dusty's Faithful is on my wish list. Glad you are enjoying it. I have started my holiday weekend with The Very Best Of The Velvelettes and The Very Best Of Howard Hewett.

JimBagley
07-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I am still waiting for my Fantastic Four CD to arrive.

JimBagley
07-04-2015, 10:16 PM
qCelebrating Independence Day by listening to the 5th Dimension's Portrait album with the epic track The Declaration/A Change Is Gonna Come/People Got To Be Free. CD bonus track On The Beach [[In The Summertime) is also highly appropriate.

splanky
07-05-2015, 08:33 AM
This thread was merely intended as a place to list what CDs/albums one is currently listening to, as opposed to an individual single/track as discussed on another thread. I put it in the Clubhouse in the HOPES that people would feel relaxed to mention whatever music has currently caught their fancy. No deep thought is intended here. Just what someone is listening to and perhaps what inspired them to pull the recording out of their collection at this time. Jim

Gotcha! Sorry I misunderstood you. With that in mind I've been listening a lot to The Ohio
Players Ecstasy release and Slave's Definitive Collection. Junie Morrison and Steve Arrington
always strike me as two of the most overlooked talents in funk/soul music. Then again, maybe they're not to your taste...It's all good...

JimBagley
07-05-2015, 01:07 PM
It's all good, Splanky. No two people have the exact same tastes in music and it is interesting to hear what other folks are listening to. I have the Slave Definitive Collection too. The only Ohio Players set that I have is the two-CD Gold collection.

splanky
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
It's all good, Splanky. No two people have the exact same tastes in music and it is interesting to hear what other folks are listening to. I have the Slave Definitive Collection too. The only Ohio Players set that I have is the two-CD Gold collection.

I'm glad you mentioned that. The Ecstasy album is from the Westbound period of the band when they were on the same label as Funkadelic. They recorded their biggest hits on Mercury, hence the Gold collection but for many, myself included, the Junie era was something special...

JimBagley
07-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Ann Peebles - Best of the Hi Years

Soul Sister
07-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Full listening CD list:
Of course, all JIMMY SCOTT CD's. :cool:
All of Me - Johnny Hartman
Best Of - Walter Jackson
Blue Gardenia - Dinah Washington

S.S.

thomas96
07-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Clifford Brown - Memorial Album
Max Roach -MAX

JimBagley
07-09-2015, 01:31 PM
The Essential Teddy Pendergrass.

JimBagley
07-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Lenny Kravitz - Greatest Hits [[I am going to see Lenny in concert in August)

JimBagley
07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Do You Still Love Me?: The Best of Meli'sa Morgan

JimBagley
07-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Fantastic Four - The Lost Motown Album

blueskies
07-23-2015, 01:37 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71p76gmUXJL._SL1187_.jpg

JimBagley
07-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Hip CD :)

JimBagley
07-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Haven't You Heard: The Best Of Patrice Rushen

JimBagley
07-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Jill Scott - Woman [[some incredible tracks on this new CD).

soulster
07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
The last album I played in its entirety was "Feel So Good" by Chuck Mangione.

splanky
08-04-2015, 10:32 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71p76gmUXJL._SL1187_.jpg

Dang! I want that bad! Was it expensive?

blueskies
08-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Dang! I want that bad! Was it expensive?
Splanky....it was not expensive when I purchased it several years ago. I think I paid around $12.00 for it. Now, the cheapest I saw on amazon was $31.80 and it goes up from there. Glad I bought it when I did. I've passed on plenty of others and I'm now kicking myself. Guess the old adage....buy it when you see it holds some meaning.

soulster
08-09-2015, 05:04 AM
Led Zeppelin - "In Through The Out Door" Expanded Edition

honest man
08-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Stevie Wonder 65-68 my own compiled cdr loving it.cheers.

JimBagley
08-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Reaching For The World. The first album to feature Teddy Pendergrass' replacement David Ebo. It was an underappreciated album and Ebo was an underappreciated singer.

JimBagley
08-18-2015, 10:19 AM
This Is It: The Best Of Melba Moore. Covers her classics This Is It and Lean On Me [[my favorite) on Buddah, You Stepped Into My Life on Epic, and then all of her big hits on Capitol/EMI.

Soul Sister
08-18-2015, 11:00 AM
For the R&B list:
LITTLE JIMMY SCOTT
WALTER JACKSON
LINDA JONES
THE MANHATTANS
THE O'JAYS
LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS
THE 5 STAIRSTEPS
THE MADLADS
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS
ETTA JAMES [[JAZZ & R&B)
BIG MAYBELLE [[JAZZ & R&B)
TEENA MARIE
JACKIE WILSON
JAMES BROWN

S.S.

JimBagley
08-20-2015, 11:04 AM
The Dells - Dellicious

soulster
08-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Played the Detroit version of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" last night.

JimBagley
08-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Seal - Best: 1991 - 2004

JimBagley
09-09-2015, 04:30 PM
The Curtom Story: a wonderful three disc set - with 50 page booklet - covering many highlights of Curtis Mayfield's record label.

sophisticated_soul
09-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Johnny Mathis: The Complete Global Albums Collection. All eleven of Johnny's Mercury albums [[1963-1967). Each album is housed in a reproduction of the original album artwork. Two additional CDs, "Singles and Unreleased" Vol. 1 & 2., include 15 previously unreleased tracks. It was released late last year, but I waited until the price came down. If you're a fan this collection is"Heavenly". Mr. Mathis turns 80 on September 30th.

In honor of his 80th Columbia is releasing "The Singles" [[due September 25th) A 4-disc set including 87 tracks [[with 31 on CD for the first time). Best pre-order price: Import CDs $40.40.

JimBagley
09-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Johnny Mathis: The Complete Global Albums Collection. All eleven of Johnny's Mercury albums [[1963-1967). Each album is housed in a reproduction of the original album artwork. Two additional CDs, "Singles and Unreleased" Vol. 1 & 2., include 15 previously unreleased tracks. It was released late last year, but I waited until the price came down. If you're a fan this collection is"Heavenly". Mr. Mathis turns 80 on September 30th.

In honor of his 80th Columbia is releasing "The Singles" [[due September 25th) A 4-disc set including 87 tracks [[with 31 on CD for the first time). Best pre-order price: Import CDs $40.40.

Wow, two wonderful collections. I have a two-disc Global Best Of and a four disc Columbia collection and now the Thom Bell sessions, but the sets you mention trump all of these.

RobertZ
09-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Why, on a Friday night, the superb FTG reissue of Dr. Martha Reeves masterpiece "The Rest of My Life"! The title song alone should have gone Whitney Houston big. I love to dance to "Second Chance" and the cover of "Now That We've Found Love". What a GREAT album!

JimBagley
09-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Jerry Butler - Iceman: Mercury Years Anthology

JimBagley
09-28-2015, 03:13 PM
The Delfonics - La La Means I Love You: The Definitive Collection

JimBagley
09-29-2015, 02:44 PM
The Dramatics - Ultimate Collection [[gathers most of their Volt and ABC/MCA hits).

JimBagley
10-01-2015, 10:40 AM
The Anna Records Story: a two disc set of the recordings from the label run by Berry Gordy's sisters Anna and Gwen. Includes singles by Barrett Strong, David Ruffin, Lamont Dozier and Joe Tex.

snakepit
10-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Awaiting Jimmy Holiday CD on Kent..the as & bs of his Minit singles

Also, bought the box set of HDH singles ..Invictus/ Hot Wax/ Music Merchant
Only just got around to playing it...very good too

mr soul
10-03-2015, 06:47 AM
I've been looking at Diggin' Their Roots - The Tymes vinyl LP for over a year now, wondering whether or not to take the plunge & invest £2 of my hard earned pension on it, well yesterday I took the plunge and all I can say is what took me so long, I've just ripped it on to my computer and CD, it is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Oh well, as my mother used to say "what's for you won't pass you by" and amen to that.

snakepit
10-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Enjoyed Jimmy Holiday on first play.
Was interested to see if there was anything better than the brilliant ",I found a new love" but didn't hear it..still the other tracks were very good.
Next CD purchase might be Garnett Mimms on Kent.

sophisticated_soul
10-05-2015, 03:37 AM
Johnny Mathis “The Singles” [[4 CDs) – 87 tracks [[31 first time on CD)

I rec’d my copy of “The Singles” just in time to raise a join . . . er . . . glass to Johnny in honor of his 80th birthday on September 30, 2015. But I got the present, about two and half albums worth of Mathis tracks I hadn’t previously heard. For this collection producer Didier Deutsch differentiates between singles that were recorded for standalone release versus singles that were tracks pulled from album projects to promote interest in that particular album. This collection only deals with the former, songs recorded specifically for the singles market. And Mathis recorded many of these.

If a standalone single did become a hit, it would eventually wind up on an album, generally a collection. However many of these standalone releases [[both a & b sides) never made it beyond the 45rpm format, thus becoming extremely rare. So their return in digital form is cause for celebration. It’s like unreleased material from the vaults. The tracks run from 1956 - 1981. I’ve listened to the first two discs and the performances are first class productions, typical of their periods though often stylishly more experimental. The booklet is well done with a number of 45 sleeve reproduction and notes from both Johnny and producer Didier Deutsch

Deutsch also lets the cat out of the bag. 2016 will mark the 60th Anniversary of Johnny signing to Columbia Records, and to celebrate the event: “The Complete Albums”. There were no details beyond that. But given Mathis’ catalogue this will be about a 60 disc set! I figure if I start saving now by the time its released next year I still won’t have enough to buy it.:[[

JimBagley
10-05-2015, 11:44 AM
As a kid, I remembered seeing Johnny Mathis perform "What I Did For Love" on television and I also heard it on the radio, but I guess it was never a single.
Wow, that Complete Albums set on Johnny Mathis will be something! 60 Discs!

sophisticated_soul
10-05-2015, 01:38 PM
As a kid, I remembered seeing Johnny Mathis perform "What I Did For Love" on television and I also heard it on the radio, but I guess it was never a single.
Wow, that Complete Albums set on Johnny Mathis will be something! 60 Discs!

To the best of my knowledge it was not a single, but it is available on "The Essential Johnny Mathis".

JimBagley
10-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Ronnie Dyson - Love In All Flavours/The More You Do It [[Ronnie's third and fourth albums for Columbia from 1976 and 1977, both produced by Chuck Jackson and Marvin Yancy).

JimBagley
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
5th Dimension - two CD reissue of Portrait/Love's Lines Angles & Rhymes, Individually & Collectively and Living Together Growing Together [[first four albums for Bell Records in the '70s). This nice compact package was put out by Raven Records in Australia who earlier in the year repackaged the 5th's four '60s albums from the Soul City label.

JimBagley
11-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - The Blue Album [[1980). Teddy Pendergrass' replacement David Ebo soars on "Prayin'". Harold Melvin smolders on "I Should Be Your Lover." The Blue Notes last gasp at radio.