PDA

View Full Version : The Velvelettes - Never Was.

test

mysterysinger
06-26-2015, 02:42 PM
An album that might have been - but never was.

What would have been the track listing [[12 or 14 of em)?

Sharpmoves
06-28-2015, 07:24 AM
What a beautiful piece of work! Is that Sandra Tilley on the far right? They look fabulous. On this album, it would have been nice also to have:

Lonely Lonely Girl am I
Needle in an Haystack
A Bird in the Hand
The Boy From Crosstown
These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
Twilight Time

Thanks for posting.

robb_k
06-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Also:
8 - "That's The Reason Why"- unreleased alternate, more "Motowny" version
9 - "Mama Please" [[unreleased original Motown version of Golden World's "Daddy Please")
10 - "Love Is Good"
11 - "I've Got a Right To Cry" - [[if it was, indeed actually sung by The Velevelettes" - which I believe is true)
12 - I'll leave the last entry for any really good song we have forgotten. I remember seeing more than 20 unreleased cuts by The Velvelettes, so I know I'm forgetting several good ones.

If there are no more, we could use "I'm The Exception To The Rule", which likely would have been on their first LP.

Sharpmoves
06-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Oh yes, we must have "Exception" on there!
A lot of space is taken up in this forum making the case for various individuals or groups that were less than ideally appreciated by Motown. But surely The Velvelettes have to be the most unjustly neglected of all? Yet they were wonderful, and still are! Here's to these beautiful ladies of Motown. Long may they prosper.

johnjeb
06-28-2015, 12:13 PM
I get so annoyed thinking how we were robbed from having an album by The Velvelettes back in the 60s. I didn't know much or anything about them. I had Needle on 16 Big Hits Volume 6 which I treasured. I loved Sayin' Something - by The Marvelettes!!! - I never discovered The Velvelettes version until almost 15 years later which, of course, is the definitive version.

I did get bored with those 2 songs repeated on many CD compilations in the mid-80s and was thrilled to finally get other songs like Lonely Girl and Bird In The Hand on other comps, soon after.

When their Very Best CD, compiled by John Lester, came out in 1999 I was thrilled to get more than the 4 or 5 songs I had been listening to the previous 15 years. Boy, what a waste keeping those song locked up all that time - grrrrrr.

In addition to suggestions already made, I like:
Since You've Been Loving Me
Throw A Farewell Kiss
Think Of The Times
He's The One
My Foolish Heart

captainjames
07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I would have love to hear HDH work with them.

mowest
07-04-2015, 04:57 PM
One of their best, which finally saw the light of day, was "Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer).

daviddesper
07-05-2015, 11:22 PM
I just heard "Something's Happening" on Pandora. Definitely one of their better but lesser known songs.