PDA

View Full Version : Has Motown come back?

test

DwightTurner
12-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I was on youtube listinging to "I Learned The Hard Way" by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings... She's really good.. While listening to this, I could hear Martha & The Vandellas or Martha & The Andantes doing this number! Very good stuff? What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKZdzxX3qFc

jobeterob
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Motown happened at a certain time; the timing was a major factor. Personality and pizzazz played a big factor in it and the family feel around it all.

For that reason it can't be duplicated.

roger
12-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I do really like this tune, and it does sound very "'60s Soul", but to me the production and arrangement doesn't sound like anything Motown might have released at all!!

But then .. not all '60s/'70s "Soul" was Motown .. and for 2010 this sounds great!!

Roger

uptight
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
This track and its album always reminded me of the late 60s Motown, Philly and the Memphis "sound" in the way it was mixed, mastered and its musical arrangement. Not all of Motown sounded like this, but many Motown soul tracks did in the late 60s.

Raphael Saadiq's recent album was in the same vein of 60s soul. Loved it.

splanky
12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
I have that Sharon Jones release in addition to her previous stuff and I think it's her best work. Motown or a "Motown
Sound" has nothing to do with it. It's just good music...

carlo
12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree, splanky. I also have all of her albums. Her music is worth checking out. I think they're awesome.

nomis
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
..motown hasnt come back..it never left...

tsull1
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings sound more Stax to me. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with any of their albums or their concerts. I went to their concert a couple years ago, it was unreal. High energy, great singing, unreal band.

One of the best groups out there today, no question about it.

glencro
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
motown happened at a certain time; the timing was a major factor. Personality and pizzazz played a big factor in it and the family feel around it all.

For that reason it can't be duplicated.

sooo true jobeterob

paladin
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I love the live shows, for some reason their cache doesn't transfer well to CD format to me......great artists tho....