PDA

View Full Version : Here's a twist: The head of the Spokane, Washington NAACP is White Posing as Black

test

soulster
06-12-2015, 08:32 AM
It's OK that she is White, and she has been fighting the good fight, but the problem is that she's been lying about her race.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/washington-spokane-naacp-rachel-dolezal-identity/index.html

I can think of a couple of scenarios as to what happened in her life, and it looks a bit to me that she has some "black" in her. Maybe her mom got pregnant by a Black man.

marv2
06-12-2015, 09:28 AM
I think people are getting dumber as time passes.

RobertZ
06-12-2015, 09:32 AM
It's OK that she is White, and she has been fighting the good fight, but the problem is that she's been lying about her race.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/washington-spokane-naacp-rachel-dolezal-identity/index.html

I can think of a couple of scenarios as to what happened in her life, and it looks a bit to me that she has some "black" in her. Maybe her mom got pregnant by a Black man.
I saw that headline but did not yet delve; bizarre, to say the least! I wonder if she's been doing a good job?

soulster
06-12-2015, 10:09 AM
I saw that headline but did not yet delve; bizarre, to say the least! I wonder if she's been doing a good job?
She's been doing a great job from all accounts.

I just saw some pictures of her, and an interview with her parents in MSNBC, and, she looked like her parents, even had freckles as a kid. An article I read earlier quoted her mother mentioning abuse. Coupled that with her bizarre reaction and walking away from a reporter says something is up, personally. My guess is that she suffered some kind of trauma. She does have four Black adopted brothers and sisters.

soulster
06-12-2015, 10:11 AM
I think people are getting dumber as time passes. Explain. Look at her features. It is possible she darkened her skin. Who knows what's going on with her.

Jerry Oz
06-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm trying to figure out whether this is funny or not. She got the hair right, which is about 90% of the look. And couple that with the fact that probably 50% of Black people [[African-Americans, more specifically) are 60% or less African, it's a surprise if this doesn't happen much more often. The extent of the ruse is amazing, though.

Usually, it's like Negrodamus stated on 'Chappelle's Show': "Everybody wants to be a n***a but nobody wants to be a n****r".

RobertZ
06-17-2015, 09:41 AM
So, ultimately, what does everything think of this?

My opinion? It's fine that she chose to identify as/with African Americans if that's where her heart and mind brought her, and it's admirable that she chose to dedicate her life to a population she loves. However I'm troubled by her assertion that she is African American; being simplistic, I just think it's dishonest.

What are we thinking?

Jerry Oz
06-17-2015, 02:54 PM
That's it, exactly. I've known plenty of Black people who associate and more easily socialize with White people. I probably met more than a few who identify themselves as being part of a White social structure. I have never met one with the audacity to claim that he was White. Pro basketball hall of famer David Robinson recounted a story about his upbringing wherein all of his friends were White and they all loved him [[being the star school athlete probably didn't help with the 'love'). Race became an issue when he would attend a party and the guests would start a game of 'Spin the Bottle'. When he sat down with his 'friends', they gave him the stink eye and suggested that perhaps he shouldn't get his hopes up about kissing a White girl.

It matters much less who you want to be than who society labels you to be. It's the most ridiculous thing in the world - bigotry. But it is a fact of life that we sadly continue to deal with. I personally have no issue with her self-identity but I do with her lack of being able to be honest with others. She can discontinue use of the bronzer and let her hair color return to blonde anytime she wants to and go back to living the privileged life she purportedly abhors. But the rest of us colored folks still have to carry the cross that society thrust upon us just for being born in a prejudiced and hate-filled world.