PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Temptations Album And Why?

test

RobertZ
06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Mine is “Sky’s The Limit”. From the ultra-cool LP sleeve to the Temps line-up [[Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams were still on board) to the exceptional Norman Whitfield production [[and, I assume, Ken Sands engineering – it’s a GREAT SOUNDING album) to the perfect balance of psychedelic soul plus classic balladeering. True, some of the songs were re-casts [[in classic Motown fashion) but what a great listening experience. I still goosebump over 9 minutes of “Love Can Be Anything”. Your choice?

thanxal
06-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Oh thank Gawd someone had the presence of mind NOT to post a thread discussing a popular girl group from the 1960s and 1970s.

RobertZ
06-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Oh thank Gawd someone had the presence of mind NOT to post a thread discussing a popular girl group from the 1960s and 1970s.
Don't know of any. What Temps LP do you like?

thanxal
06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I Wish It Would Rain and A Lot of Soul, but I REALLY like David Ruffin's "David" album.

sansradio
06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
A Song for You has special resonance for me because it was a staple in our house in my formative years. From the stomping gospel funk of "Glasshouse" and "Shakey Ground" to the aching tenderness of "Firefly" and "Memories" [[the latter can bring me to tears), this album will always have a unique place in my heart. It takes me right back to wonderful moments with my family.

soulster
06-08-2015, 09:17 PM
"With A Lot 'O Soul", without a doubt. But, I favor their singles more.

Ngroove
06-08-2015, 10:03 PM
The Temptin' Temptations [[1965). David Ruffin, matching suits, synchronized dance-era Temptations, "Since I Lost My Baby", "The Girl's Alright With Me", "Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)", "Don't Look Back", "I'll Be In Trouble", and my favorite, "My Baby".

blackguy69
06-08-2015, 10:34 PM
For me, its a tie between Sky's the Limit and A Song for You

jboy88
06-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Classic 5 era- With A Lot O Soul

Psychedelic era- Puzzle People

70s- A Song for You

80s- Reunion

90s Phoenix Rising

jobeterob
06-09-2015, 01:28 AM
Puzzle People

jack020
06-09-2015, 01:55 AM
Wish It Would Rain
Wings Of love
Masterpiece

thisoldheart
06-09-2015, 02:16 AM
temptations sing smokey. why? cuz it is a cohesive album and every song is great!

sophisticated_soul
06-09-2015, 03:43 AM
It's a tie between "With A Lot 'O Soul" and "Sing Smokey".:)

theboyfromxtown
06-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Psychedelic Shack

woodward
06-09-2015, 10:43 AM
I AGREE 10000000 PERCENT. My favorite is Greatest Hits mainly because it includes two of my all time favorite Temptations songs: Since I Lost My Baby - and - Don't Look Back.

Let's keep up the good work and branch into other outstanding Motown artists and songs.

Philles/Motown Gary
06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Tie - "Sing Smokey" and "With A Lot O' Soul".

JimBagley
06-09-2015, 11:15 AM
A Song For You, as my favorite male singer is Dennis Edwards and I think he did his best work on this album.

Bluebrock
06-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I think most of their albums contained great songs but several fillers as well. I think perhaps some of their less successful 80's albums were maybe amongst their most consistent but from their classic era I would agree with Philles/Motown Gary and plump for "sing smokey" and "with a lot o'soul" and "I wish it would rain" as runners up.

arr&bee
06-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Oh boy,for me the greatest temptations album is the great[temptin temptations]the song quality is superb[of course the same can be said for thier first seven albums,but this one does it for me check out the cover[white suits-cool]check out the filler[just another lonely night[paul kills it]..[born to love you-shoulda been a single-everybody needs love-i gotta know now-eddie at his best-you're the one i need-a fun time for all]it was the first album i ever owned[yes i still have the original with on the purple gordy lable]not only are the songs great,but listen to the funk brothers...great,great album from the greatest male group ever!!

144man
06-09-2015, 02:57 PM
For me it's "Gettin' Ready" and "Puzzle People".

supremester
06-09-2015, 02:57 PM
1) With a Lot of Soul [[Also Martha Reeves' fave)
2) Puzzle People
3) Cloud 9
4) Sing Smokey

RobertZ
06-09-2015, 04:18 PM
I AGREE 10000000 PERCENT. My favorite is Greatest Hits mainly because it includes two of my all time favorite Temptations songs: Since I Lost My Baby - and - Don't Look Back.

Let's keep up the good work and branch into other outstanding Motown artists and songs.
A-ha! So WHICH "Greatest Hits" LP?

woodward
06-09-2015, 04:50 PM
A-ha! So WHICH "Greatest Hits" LP?
It is the CD # 314530853-2. It was originally released on Gordy 919 in November of 1966. Purple cover. Includes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
My Girl
The Girl's All Right With Me
Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
The Way You Do the Things You Do
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
It's Growing
Since I Lost My Baby
Don't Look Back [[My all time favorite Temptations song)
I'll Be In Trouble

Interestingly enough, the overlap describing the contents has a four paragraph quoting Bill Cosby [[he even mentioned wife Camille).

jboy88
06-09-2015, 05:39 PM
At long last, The Temptations have been Mastered for I-Tunes! Well, at least most of them are. But many of the lps that weren't available previously are now on there, including all of their live lps. Surprisingly, TCB still haven't appeared yet.

RobertZ
06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
It is the CD # 314530853-2. It was originally released on Gordy 919 in November of 1966. Purple cover. Includes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
My Girl
The Girl's All Right With Me
Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
The Way You Do the Things You Do
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
It's Growing
Since I Lost My Baby
Don't Look Back [[My all time favorite Temptations song)
I'll Be In Trouble

Interestingly enough, the overlap describing the contents has a four paragraph quoting Bill Cosby [[he even mentioned wife Camille).
Cool - I loved those first hits compilations Motown did.

RobertZ
06-10-2015, 08:41 AM
At long last, The Temptations have been Mastered for I-Tunes! Well, at least most of them are. But many of the lps that weren't available previously are now on there, including all of their live lps. Surprisingly, TCB still haven't appeared yet.
Interesting - I'm a Spotify guy and most of the LPs are also there; when music is "Mastered for i-Tunes" does that mean their engineers actually create new masters, or is the phrase just technical jargon for converting the music to i-Tunes useage? Can you tell if the LPs sound better/different on i-Tunes? I've always wondered.

gordy_hunk
06-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Difficult choice to make. I only became interested in the group with 'cloud 9' but my favourite has to be 'Masterpiece'. Norman Whitfield's production was simply amazing. I also like 'all directions' '1990', 'solid rock' and 'sky's the limit' for the same reason.

When the production team parted company with the group, my interest in them also faded.

jboy88
06-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Interesting - I'm a Spotify guy and most of the LPs are also there; when music is "Mastered for i-Tunes" does that mean their engineers actually create new masters, or is the phrase just technical jargon for converting the music to i-Tunes useage? Can you tell if the LPs sound better/different on i-Tunes? I've always wondered.

I'm probably going to deactivate spotify once Apple music makes its debut later this month. Though, I still regularly buy/download music, so the artist can see some royalties.

as far as the technical aspects of mastered for iTunes, that might be a question soulster could answer better.

kje71
06-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks so much for the heads up. Been hoping for Live at London's Talk of The Town forever. My vinyl is good but glad to finally have it digitally. Also picked up Copa for good measure.

As for favorite album? Find myself returning to Cloud Nine and With a Lot O Soul most often. Sky's The Limit comes in 3rd solely for Just My Imagination, my all time favorite

JL2648
06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Bravo!

To answer the question, The Temptations Sing Smokey is probably my favorite.

arr&bee
06-10-2015, 11:09 PM
My temptaholics,don't sleep on the great[yes i said great]1980 lp[power]for those of you with the album take a close listen,the fellas were crankin it up[struck by lighning twice- shadow of your love-i'm comin home-isn't the night fantastic]are you kidding me,dennis was back and they did themselves proud..as good as anything the classic group did,don't take my word for it....just listen...temptations forever!!!

RobertZ
06-11-2015, 08:49 AM
It's interesting to me to look at the Tempts "classic era" and note that of the 14 LPs, 7 could [[arguably, of course!) be considered "psychedelic soul" [[meaning the number of psyc tracks at least equalled the number of ballads + traditional uptempo tracks.

lockhartgary
06-11-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't even have to think about an answer: The Temptin' Temptations. Even the filler material is good, imo. Having been recently divorced, just listening to "Just Another Lonely Night" brings tears to my eyes occasionally. Paul REALLY makes you feel each and every word of that song! If pressed to pick a tied-for-1st-place, I'd have to say "With a Lot A Soul." My favorites on that album are "[[I Know) I'm Losing You" and "Just One Last Look".

arr&bee
06-12-2015, 03:26 PM
hey lockheart, great choices and how about the gorgeous[two sides to love]how did that gem not be released???]

phil
06-12-2015, 04:24 PM
temptations sing smokey. why? cuz it is a cohesive album and every song is great!

I agree thisoldheart, though my favorite song is "Just My Imagination".

Cosmic Truth
06-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Masterpiece for me.

The album is of a consistently high standard, with many excellent tracks, but the title track is the stand out for me. It's absolutely superb.

alexstassi
06-12-2015, 06:33 PM
For me its a toss up between 1990 and Masterpiece

RobertZ
06-12-2015, 09:16 PM
My temptaholics,don't sleep on the great[yes i said great]1980 lp[power]for those of you with the album take a close listen,the fellas were crankin it up[struck by lighning twice- shadow of your love-i'm comin home-isn't the night fantastic]are you kidding me,dennis was back and they did themselves proud..as good as anything the classic group did,don't take my word for it....just listen...temptations forever!!!

Thank you thank you thank you for reminding me of The Temps "POWER"! What vocals - a fuller "review" will follow.

Cadeho
06-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up. Been hoping for Live at London's Talk of The Town forever. My vinyl is good but glad to finally have it digitally. Also picked up Copa for good measure.

As for favorite album? Find myself returning to Cloud Nine and With a Lot O Soul most often. Sky's The Limit comes in 3rd solely for Just My Imagination, my all time favorite

It looks like almost the entire discography is finally available!

Cadeho
06-12-2015, 11:18 PM
I have too many favorites to single to one!

RobertZ
06-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Yes, "Power" is a perfect album, and thanks for reminding me about it. The songs are excellent, the music/production/arrangements right on, and the singing superb. Lots of swapped leads, and the Temptations can funk it up! A great choice.

arr&bee
06-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Yes,and[power] may have been the last[berry gordy]production with the group.

Detroitspride
08-08-2017, 08:19 PM
I'd have to say "Sing Smokey". It's not because of the songs but more so how they were sung. No overdubbing to fill out their vocals. Their background vocals took on a different texture based on who was leading.I learned to identify what voice belonged to who listening to this album. Sing Smokey also showed how versatile and potent they were.Every song previously released by the Miracles was literally taken from them. Sing Smokey and " Meet" is probably the purest we'll ever hear The Tempts on record.

TomatoTom123
08-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Oh damn, I can't do this. I love all of them!!!! There are so many to choose from and you could make a case for any of them as the best IMO.

OK, I've literally just spent 15 minutes trying to piece together some sort of answer to this question but I really can't do it, lol :)

mr_june
08-09-2017, 11:07 AM
For me, it's a tie between Sky Is The Limit and the second greatest hits package that contained ballads and the message songs.

Cosmic Truth
09-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Masterpiece.

TomatoTom123
09-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Masterpiece.

Thought you might go with that one Cosmic... classic Norman Whitfield ;)

kje71
09-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Cloud Nine! Followed by Sky’s The Limit, solely for the masterpiece that is Just My Imagination

Edit: That moment you realize you already responded 2 years ago with pretty much the same thing lol

TomatoTom123
09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Cloud Nine! Followed by Sky’s The Limit, solely for the masterpiece that is Just My Imagination

Edit: That moment you realize you already responded 2 years ago with pretty much the same thing lol

Lol, kje, we've all done it :p

PeaceNHarmony
09-19-2017, 09:14 AM
For me, it's a tie between Sky Is The Limit and the second greatest hits package that contained ballads and the message songs.
STL's my favorite as well. Still play it quite frequently. Along with all it's other positives it just 'listens' well, even all these years later.

masterblaster
09-19-2017, 05:44 PM
It's Masterpiece for me, glad to see that quite a few agree with me although seem to remember that the album was criticised at the time of release for being a vehicle for Norman Whitfield with the Temps relagated to just 'backing singers '.
I think the album is consistently good but the title track is awesome.

Cosmic Truth
09-23-2017, 04:35 AM
Thought you might go with that one Cosmic... classic Norman Whitfield ;)

Yes Tom. One might even go as far as to say it was a masterpiece. :D

Cosmic Truth
09-23-2017, 04:37 AM

yeah. I bet you feel really stupid now. Thank God I didn't make a fool of myself like that! :o

Cosmic Truth
09-23-2017, 04:40 AM
It's Masterpiece for me, glad to see that quite a few agree with me although seem to remember that the album was criticised at the time of release for being a vehicle for Norman Whitfield with the Temps relagated to just 'backing singers '.
I think the album is consistently good but the title track is awesome.

I'm not criticising The Temptations is any way, they were superb singers, but there have been a few Temptations over the years. There's only been one Norman Whitfield.