PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross I Love You [[Album)

test

Ollie9
06-08-2015, 05:41 AM
As it seems very unlikely that we will ever hear any new music from Diana, i think it would be a really nice treat for fans if her last album was given a complete makeover. The same thing she did with diana 80. Go back to the recording studio with a talented recording engineer and attempt to try and add some life and sparkle to these dull and mundane recordings. Perhaps add some additional vocals.
The original production is so bad it can only be improved upon. In comparison to the studio recodings, the live performances of some of the songs sound far more exciting and crisp.
Also add a recent photo of Diana for the cover as opposed to the eighties pic that was used. I'm seeing seeing red and white artwork as opposed to that dull shade of grey.

Bluebrock
06-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Personally I think we should just forget this album ever saw the light of day. If it does turn out to be Diana's final album then what a sad and sorry way to end a glorious recording career. Everything about it was cheap and tacky, and those words should never be used to describe our beloved diva.

midnight johnny
06-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Personally I think we should just forget this album ever saw the light of day. If it does turn out to be Diana's final album then what a sad and sorry way to end a glorious recording career. Everything about it was cheap and tacky, and those words should never be used to describe our beloved diva.

Bluerock....truer words were never spoken. I would only add that the choice of songs was quite boring...nothing challenging...nothing remarkable.

westgrandboulevard
06-08-2015, 08:31 AM
I wish Diana would stop singing as if she is always 'thinking' her way through the songs. She seems to suppress much of the emotion from the songs, preferring to give all her creative attention to very careful breathing technique and a smooth final result. There is a sense of something being withheld.

I'd prefer for Diana to just start singing again with fire and electricity, [[cracked notes, if necessary) the way she always did before, whenever she felt inspired to do so....especially when performing any new songs in her act.

I never ever saw or heard much 'raw soul' from Diana...but there used to be a whole lot of 'heart'.

supremester
06-08-2015, 09:15 AM
I don't understand this album at all except the original concept - which I like. Most of the arrangements are so Music Minus One - like in "Vivien's First Funeral's" arrangement of Boy From Ipenema - which was meant for, and got, a laugh. I mean, was Zamfir busy? Vocally, she's much stronger now and I think would record much stronger. There were great shots taken for the album - why she used that cover is beyond me.

I want her to record a new album with people who know and work with her best: Yab Yum, Nick Martinelli and Gregg Simon.

jobeterob
06-08-2015, 01:24 PM
I wish Diana would stop singing as if she is always 'thinking' her way through the songs. She seems to suppress much of the emotion from the songs, preferring to give all her creative attention to very careful breathing technique and a smooth final result. There is a sense of something being withheld.

I'd prefer for Diana to just start singing again with fire and electricity, [[cracked notes, if necessary) the way she always did before, whenever she felt inspired to do so....especially when performing any new songs in her act.

I never ever saw or heard much 'raw soul' from Diana...but there used to be a whole lot of 'heart'.

You want her to sing like she does on that clip of All We Do Is Win?

jobeterob
06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
But it has some excellent songs - Lovely Day and To Be Loved?

jobeterob
06-08-2015, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_PdJ1B1nRA

Want her to sing like that?

RobertZ
06-08-2015, 02:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_PdJ1B1nRA

Want her to sing like that?
For up-tempo, "dancey" material, YES! So energizing -

Ollie9
06-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank heavens "You Take My Breath Away" was only included on special edition format.. This has to be the most uninspired singing Diana has ever released. It sounds like she is sitting at home, on the sofa with a nice cup of tea, singing the lyrics for the first time. The production is almost embarrassing for someone of her pre-eminence.
On the plus side there are a few nice vocal flourishes on the cd that could be salvaged with a decent remix.
Were not the photos taken of Diana looking wistful in the yellow frock meant for the cd?. cover. If so i wonder why they were never used.

Bluebrock
06-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Face it. This album was a turkey and as I said previously a truly awful way to sign off a stella career.

reese
06-09-2015, 07:55 AM
While it is far from being one of my favorite of her albums, I think I LOVE YOU has quite a few nice performances on it. I particularly like WHAT ABOUT LOVE, I WILL, and the title track.

Bluebrock
06-09-2015, 09:45 AM
reese - I'm glad you hear something on this album that I cannot. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but I think it is 2nd only to "workin overtime" as her worst album.
On 2nd thoughts they are probably level pegging.

mistercarter2u
06-09-2015, 10:33 AM
I disagree about the "I Love You" album. It was definitely not one of Diana's best, yet I personally do not think it was anywhere as bad as some of you say. The selection of songs was pretty good, and Diana did a decent job of interpreting them. I liked her takes on "I Want You," "Lovely Day," "I Will," and "This Magic Moment," and I thought the title song was really nice.

I am curious, though. Can any of you tell me how many copies "I Love You" sold in the US and worldwide?

Also, did Diana record tracks for a follow-up album after "I Love You?" I have read that she did and that EMI opted not to issue those tracks, yet I have no idea if that is true.

Bluebrock
06-09-2015, 11:19 AM
mistercarter2u - it was always meant to be a one album deal so I doubt a proposed follow up was recorded. There may be a few tracks not used on the album in the can but I wouldn't expect them to see the light of day. I'm glad you liked some of the album. I respect your opinion but I still think it was a poor album.

marybrewster
06-09-2015, 11:46 AM
The concept of a "covers" album was an excellent idea; the choices included were a bomb, save for "More Than Yesterday". IMO it's the strongest song of the pack, and one that I frequently perform.

I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVED "Workin' Overtime". The title track was fun and funky, and introduced Diana to a whole new generation. The video, however, was too over the top. a 40-something Lady Di prancing around in denim and leather with a bunch of 20-year olds? Yikes. Cher? Yes. Diana. No. Way too classy for that nonsense.

My favorite cut from that LP is "Say We Can", but I feel like it was missing something. I liked how she performed it in concert, versus the studio version.

Anyway, back to "ILY"; if Diana would have followed through a bit better with this concept, what songs would you have liked to seen her cover? A whole songbook of an artist, perhaps? Or maybe a certain decade spotlight? As it was, it was just too all over the place.

marybrewster
06-09-2015, 11:48 AM
I for one would like to hear Diana tackle "Hold Me" by Whitney and Teddy. Maybe reunite with Lionel for an "Endless Love II"?

I can almost hear Diana: "I believe you-a. When you-a. Say that you LOVE me-a".

midnightman
06-09-2015, 11:53 AM
^ Diana did do Hold Me by herself but under the name In Your Arms a year before WH/TP touched it and transformed it into a classic duet.

I personally would love Diana's last album to be a vocal jazz album. :) She seems really in depth when she does jazz music, I love her tone when she does it.

Bluebrock
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
The concept of a "covers" album was an excellent idea; the choices included were a bomb, save for "More Than Yesterday". IMO it's the strongest song of the pack, and one that I frequently perform.

I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVED "Workin' Overtime". The title track was fun and funky, and introduced Diana to a whole new generation. The video, however, was too over the top. a 40-something Lady Di prancing around in denim and leather with a bunch of 20-year olds? Yikes. Cher? Yes. Diana. No. Way too classy for that nonsense.

My favorite cut from that LP is "Say We Can", but I feel like it was missing something. I liked how she performed it in concert, versus the studio version.

Anyway, back to "ILY"; if Diana would have followed through a bit better with this concept, what songs would you have liked to seen her cover? A whole songbook of an artist, perhaps? Or maybe a certain decade spotlight? As it was, it was just too all over the place.

Not sure it introduced Diana to a whole new generation. It was generally regarded as a flop but I'm glad you appreciated it more than I did!

detmotownguy
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
^ Diana did do Hold Me by herself but under the name In Your Arms a year before WH/TP touched it and transformed it into a classic duet.

I personally would love Diana's last album to be a vocal jazz album. :) She seems really in depth when she does jazz music, I love her tone when she does it.

Something more in the vein of Brown Baby?

marybrewster
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Yes, thank you! I seem to remember that. I'd still like to see her tackle this as a duet.

Ollie9
06-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Diana sounds pure class when singing songs in the vein of "Brown Baby".
Workin Overtime was for me was heaps better than albums such as the turgid Silk Electic. At least she sounded connected to and interested in the material she was singing. No phone in performances there.
I do agree that " I Love You" was vocally not a complete write off. It's just the dismal elevator music that surrounds the songs that drags it down.
It's perhaps worth mentioning that the" I Love You" recordings are really the only ones where the listener is very much aware of the huge change in Diana's voice. I have wondered if this has something to do with the reason she has not recorded since.

jobucats
06-09-2015, 02:48 PM

To stick with her theme of LOVE, I would have loved Diana to have included a greatly orchestrated/produced version of "I Want to Know What Love Is." Many of us can remember the great rendition she did at the Apollo celebration. I emphasize again that the production would have to be much better than the way the other songs on the album/cd turned out.

jobucats
06-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Diana sounds pure class when singing songs in the vein of "Brown Baby".
Workin Overtime was for me was heaps better than albums such as the turgid Silk Electic. At least she sounded connected to and interested in the material she was singing. No phone in performances there.
I do agree that " I Love You" was vocally not a complete write off. It's just the dismal elevator music that surrounds the songs that drags it down.
It's perhaps worth mentioning that the" I Love You" recordings are really the only ones where the listener is very much aware of the huge change in Diana's voice. I have wondered if this has something to do with the reason she has not recorded since.

In my opinion, during the first 10 years of the 2000s, Diana's voice was very raspy and raw. I can recall cringing during such performances as on Good Morning America, American Idol, TV Land, etc. as she would struggle both vocally and attentively [[missing words and entrances.) I wanted her to do well. Beginning around 2010, however, it appears she has regained [[or developed) a very pleasing vocal ability which I believe is a signal that it is time for more recorded music from this icon. Again, this is my opinion only.

vgalindo
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I agree Reese. I really liked "What about Love", "I want you", "I Will". I love her version of "Remember" and the title song "I love you" was really nice. It's not the best album but I do appreciate this cd. And I do believe it wasn't considered a flop. It was the highest debut on billboard magazine that week. It was top 40 on the pop album charts. I don't know how much it actually sold but I heard it sold ok.

marv2
06-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I agree Reese. I really liked "What about Love", "I want you", "I Will". I love her version of "Remember" and the title song "I love you" was really nice. It's not the best album but I do appreciate this cd. And I do believe it wasn't considered a flop. It was the highest debut on billboard magazine that week. It was top 40 on the pop album charts. I don't know how much it actually sold but I heard it sold ok.

It only debuted that high [[#32 on Billboard and only to 60 in the UK) because they used the old Marketing trick of releasing it after the major holiday release and buying season. There was not much out there to compete with it.

vgalindo
06-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Still a top 40 cd. When was the last time Mary Wilson had a top 40 cd? Why doesn't she try this trick so she could get a top 40 charted cd?

milven
06-09-2015, 04:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z74TjN8-F0Y

milven
06-09-2015, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoS9lMSfhrk

dba
06-09-2015, 04:32 PM
First of all thread has nothing to do with Mary Wilson. Not sure why folks still feel in the Diana post that they must insult Mary. So childish.
IMO this ranks right up there with a Hallmark X-mas album she did, Absolute s&*t. Ross has always needed strong arrangements and a producer to push her a little.

vgalindo
06-09-2015, 05:18 PM
First of all thread has nothing to do with Mary Wilson. Not sure why folks still feel in the Diana post that they must insult Mary. So childish.
IMO this ranks right up there with a Hallmark X-mas album she did, Absolute s&*t. Ross has always needed strong arrangements and a producer to push her a little.
Please don't tell me you don't know the reason why she was brought up. I usually never like to put down one of the Supremes because I love them all very much. But you know who is on this thread just to add comment about how Diana and company did a trick to get a top 40 cd. All this person ever does is brag about Mary and puts Diana down. I was only giving him a taste of his own medicine. So before you go calling what I did as childish. You need to know why? I have never insulted another member on this board. Calling me childish is insulting and against Ralphs rules. I do however apologize for bringing Mary up. I have bitten my lips many times and have not said anything when this person is always so negative about Diana. I slipped this time.

jobeterob
06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
The problem is that Mary never had a hit. That's why she always has to come up in Diana threads because the odd fan has never gotten over the jealousy.

reese
06-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I think I LOVE YOU debuted so high in the USA because Diana was smart enough to release it during the same period that the film DREAMGIRLS was released. That gave her a higher profile, plus she sang on three different tv programs the day of its release. There were the tv commercials as well, plus the subsequent appearances on INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO, MARTHA STEWART, and AMERICAN IDOL. None of her albums had had such a promotional campaign, or at least not in quite a while.

Glenpwood
06-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Lord, I can't believe all the hate for this album. Its not my all time fave but its far from horrid. The arrangements aren't Ian Levine bad/cheap. Obviously EMI wasnt fronting enough in the budget for the London Philharmonic. Diana probably would've been "Eaten Alive" by the fans for recasting the songs in different styles if she tried that. Sadly, the money offered heritage acts to record anymore by major labels is pitiful and usually means they only want these cover albums. If they sound cheap to you its because they are financed by pencil pushers who want minimal expense for maximum profit. The obvious choices in songs are done so the non die hard fans who flip the case over in the store will recognize songs they love and impulse buy it. This rule also applies to cheap greatest hits cash ins. If one comes out it posesses a 99% chance of having Baby Love on it over some obscure choice.

The woman has spent 50 years entertaining folks. While I am a firm believer you can still be a fan and lot love every artistic choice Miss Ross makes, she has earned the right to make those choices - for better or worse. Rather than focus on the lack of new albums why not appreciate all the great tracks Universal has dug out of the vaults in the years since I Love You. Brass Band, for example, was a killer addition to the Ross catalog. If we get a new album eventually great, if we don't, there's a half century of albums to appreciate. Not a bad legacy by anyones standards even if a few shells got mixed amongst the pearls.

marv2
06-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Still a top 40 cd. When was the last time Mary Wilson had a top 40 cd? Why doesn't she try this trick so she could get a top 40 charted cd?

I don't know. I do know that "I Love You" was given every possible chance to succeed! Same thing happened with her Take Me Higher. She promoted during the Super Bowl half time show [[ you cannot wish for any greater promotional opportunity than that!) , yet it still bombed!

jobeterob
06-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Lord, I can't believe all the hate for this album. Its not my all time fave but its far from horrid. The arrangements aren't Ian Levine bad/cheap. Obviously EMI wasnt fronting enough in the budget for the London Philharmonic. Diana probably would've been "Eaten Alive" by the fans for recasting the songs in different styles if she tried that. Sadly, the money offered heritage acts to record anymore by major labels is pitiful and usually means they only want these cover albums. If they sound cheap to you its because they are financed by pencil pushers who want minimal expense for maximum profit. The obvious choices in songs are done so the non die hard fans who flip the case over in the store will recognize songs they love and impulse buy it. This rule also applies to cheap greatest hits cash ins. If one comes out it posesses a 99% chance of having Baby Love on it over some obscure choice.

The woman has spent 50 years entertaining folks. While I am a firm believer you can still be a fan and lot love every artistic choice Miss Ross makes, she has earned the right to make those choices - for better or worse. Rather than focus on the lack of new albums why not appreciate all the great tracks Universal has dug out of the vaults in the years since I Love You. Brass Band, for example, was a killer addition to the Ross catalog. If we get a new album eventually great, if we don't, there's a half century of albums to appreciate. Not a bad legacy by anyones standards even if a few shells got mixed amongst the pearls.

Nice post Glen.

jobeterob
06-10-2015, 01:30 AM
I don't know. I do know that "I Love You" was given every possible chance to succeed! Same thing happened with her Take Me Higher. She promoted during the Super Bowl half time show [[ you cannot wish for any greater promotional opportunity than that!) , yet it still bombed!

Well everyone else does know. Mary did not chart period - oh right, #97 for 3 weeks on the R & B chart for Red Hot.

And the public doesn't even know who she is. Cindy Birdsong was more recognizable than Mary Wilson and that was because of the name. Sad but true.

Ollie9
06-10-2015, 05:40 AM
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that fans are better off refraining from giving their opinions to what many consider to be a subpar album of hers or are they being disrespectful in doing so. Should we perhaps only comment on the better ones??. IMO the arrangements on "I Love You" are cheap and tacky sounding. Having said that i can still appreciate all the wonderful recordings Diana has given us over the years. I don't think that has ever been in dispute Why not discuss the good and the bad. Surely this is what a forum is created for.....Well perhaps with the exception of Diana vs Mary topics which surely has been done to death.

jack020
06-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Against popular opinion here, I like ILY and still play it from time to time. I even have 2 copies of it: the European copy with DVD and the USA copy which has a slightly different order.
According to Soundscan the album sold around 100,000 copies in the USA.

Bluebrock
06-10-2015, 06:54 AM
It is good to see such diverse opinions on this album. If it sold around 100,000 copies in the USA that is a respectable figure considering far superior 90's albums perhaps sold less than that. I just wish she could sign off with a stronger album. That is of course just my opinion.
It is not unusual for a legend's final album to be not all that. Just look at Whitney. Sadly fate got in the way of that but with Diana she still has the chance to do something. Let us hope she does just that.

mistercarter2u
06-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Many people do know who Mary Wilson is, and she also has many fans. Her record success - or lack thereof - is no representation of her fame and accomplishments over the decades. I just saw her a couple of weeks ago; she was the keynote speaker at a health expo, and she was wonderful. She not only spoke but sang and entertained, and the crowd loved her. This thread wasn't about Mary Wilson or an opportunity for folks to attack her, anyway. It was a discussion of Diana Ross's album, "I Love You."

jobeterob
06-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Agree with all the last four posts.

On Wiki, it says ILY sold about 600,000 world wide, for what it is worth. Seems a little high in this age where nothing sells very much.

I don't care for some of the maudlin arrangements either - like More Today Than Yesterday, Always and Forever, Take My Breath Away etc. I hope she does one more album and whips things up like on All We Do Is Win.

Diverse opinions are good.

MisterCarter expresses a very good side of Mary and that is wonderful for the fans. For Motown fans, for Mary fans -she does great, just like Martha Reeves does. They kept on working very hard all their lives and made the best of things.

I guess the one respectful point I would make is that for Mary Wilson, and she appears to agree, that level of success and fame was not the same as that of Beyoncé, Diana Ross, or Whitney Houston. But all the same, it's great in its own way.