PDA

View Full Version : The Dells... I miss them

test

soulwally
06-04-2015, 06:08 PM
From Soul Train, I Miss You, one of the best of their 70s tunes. Good to see Johnny Carter 'in the line' making those moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuEQU_-dFw

marv2
06-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Oh yes, yes ,yes! This is a classic, underrated song by the Dells! I found it on a jukebox a few months ago while in Toledo, OH and played it. Everyone seemed to remember it. I certainly did.

midnightman
06-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Without the [[late) Junior Marvin, we would've never had Teddy and without the Dells in general, a lot of the groups wouldn't have been inspired to do what they did...

RobertZ
06-04-2015, 07:14 PM
A wonderful group; I love the "swapped" vocals. "The Love We Had ..." is perhaps my ultimate "45". We need more Dells CD re-releases.

Bluebrock
06-05-2015, 05:27 AM
As you say a wonderful wonderful group. There are so many great tunes to choose from.

jboy88
06-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Without the [[late) Junior Marvin, we would've never had Teddy and without the Dells in general, a lot of the groups wouldn't have been inspired to do what they did...

We also have to thank 'em for not signing with PIR! Otherwise, we really wouldn't have Teddy.

jboy88
06-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Frankly, I miss groups in general! In the R&B world they've seemed to have become a thing of the past. I'd settle for a B2K knock off at this point.

arr&bee
06-08-2015, 06:24 PM
You can't call it soul without the dells,i'm very lucky to have seen them perform you only need one word....legends!!

Cincinnati_Kid
06-29-2015, 01:54 PM
I believe its Marvin Junior, no harm though. :)

sunshineonacloudyday
07-03-2015, 04:23 AM
So many later soul groups were inspired by The Dells. I think my favorites of their long career were the late 60s material on Cadet like Nadine, their own remakes of Stay In My Corner and Oh What A Night.

This previously unissued[[!) VeeJay recording from the mid 50s was ahead of its time and foretold their greatness. [[finally made it to vinyl 45 in the 90s I think--not too hard to find, and a precious artifact of soul music history)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP52HHaSXLw