PDA

View Full Version : Carla Thomas [[it's not bad news)

test

jboy88
05-30-2015, 12:53 PM
I've begun my venture in podcasting with a music show highlighting the music of Carla Thomas! I never realized how great a singer she was until I worked on this. Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kitt/what-chall-know-bout-that-thursday-carla-thomas

rrussi
06-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Her record "Comfort Me" is one of my favorites by her. It features Gladys Knight & the Pips on backup vocals.

motony
06-02-2015, 08:32 AM
strange that she was never on any of the big R & B package shows that came through Florida & I never remember her playing any of the clubs.

Soul Sister
06-03-2015, 11:34 AM
motony,
Carla was on the big stage shows that came through N.Y.-N.J. , Philly, Baltimore, & D.C. area theaters on the Chitlin` Circuit in the mid 1960's with other Stax artists. I was at some of those shows.

S.S.

jboy88
06-03-2015, 05:34 PM
I really enjoyed putting this together! Having recently purchased the first two Stax singles sets, I have a lot to work with. Tomorrow, I'll have a story about the Fatback band. I'm also doing one on Edwin Starr, King Curtis, Joe Tex and Tony Terry in the coming weeks.

rrussi
06-05-2015, 07:00 AM
It could be that during her big time in the '60s she was attending Howard University in Washington, DC. That may have made some extended travel difficult. I do know that she went to Europe as part of the Stax/Volt Revue. Does anyone know anything about her now? Her health?

jboy88
06-05-2015, 10:32 PM
That's right, she did attend Howard. That's how she met Donny Hathaway, who wrote and produced Never Be True. I forgot to include that tidbit. I mentioned, however that she went to school in Nashville for a spell. Did she transfer, drop out then returned.