skooldem1
05-29-2015, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi6i_zqYMes

jobeterob
05-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Love that!

ralpht
05-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Gloria Jones...If you're looking in....Great news.

Roberta75
05-30-2015, 08:49 AM
IM going tomorrow at 1pm with my nephew and his partner and I can't wait Im real real excited.

Roberta

milven
05-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Let us know if you liked it Roberta. Don't view it as a documentary. View it as entertainment. You'll love it. I saw it multiple times and loved it.

Mark Desjardines
05-30-2015, 12:48 PM
I saw Motown The Musical while I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past February and enjoyed it. By sheer luck, while in Los Angeles this May, I noticed it was being staged at the lovingly restored Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. I managed to obtain three tickets for the last evening I was in L.A., and what a send-off! Maybe it was my imagination, but on the second viewing the story got even better.

During the Marvin Gaye 1970's segment, the actor portraying him performed a medley of songs from the "What's Going On" album, and completely channelled Marvin. Audience members spontaniously sang along out loud, and the lyric "Trigger happy policing" from Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler) really hit home because of what is happening across America today.

While I thought the Ft. Lauderdale audience sat on their hands, the warm reception of the theatre goers in L.A. really brought out the best in the cast.

I understand that Motown the Musical is opening inToronto this fall. I want to see it again and cross over to Detroit to take in the Motown Museum. Then I can say I've really experienced the magic of Motown!

Roberta75
05-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Let us know if you liked it Roberta. Don't view it as a documentary. View it as entertainment. You'll love it. I saw it multiple times and loved it.

Oh I will dear Milven. Im up at 4.30am the coffees brewin. im going to Church from 8 till 11am and then my nephew and his partners picking me up and we haeding to Hollywood Blvd for a quick bite and then Motown the Musical at 1pm. Im real excited.

Have a blessed and beautiful Sunday.:cool:;)

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta75
05-31-2015, 08:55 PM
Well I just got back from motown the Musical and I loved it loved it loved it. The most energennic cast and the best cast Ive ever seen on stage. The Pantages Is a real beutiful theater and in the lobby was Photo exhibitions of Chris Clark photos of Diana and Marvin and Smokey and when you walk into the theater theres a big M for Motown covering the stage, the show starts on a real high note with the temps and tops at Motown 25 and then it flashes between mr gordys home in LA in 1983 to Detroit in the 1969s and then the Motown LA years in the 1970s. The lady who played The First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves got all the crowd chair dancing. She was great I only wish there was more Martha. The hunky guy who play Mr Gordy and the lovely lady that portray Diane Ross and the guys that played smokey and Marvin and Stevie were all great. The kid who played Michael Jackson brought the roof down and the Miss Ross Reach out and touch bit in the play had the entire audience all interacting it was so much fun. She got a couple of people to sing with her and then the whole Pantages held hands for reach out and Touch. Then out came Rick James and Tina Marrie and the Commodores who had us all whooping and hollering. The end of the play has Diane Ross entering from the back of the theater like Motown 25 and then she bring up Mr Gordy. The audience were on they feet stamping and clapping and showing the cast how much they loved the show. The costumes were so great and the music and orchestra were the best.

I overheard two gentlemen in the intermissions talking about how they been told that a film version of Motown the Musical is in the works. I dont know how accurate that is but thats what I heard.

My lovely nephew and his partner really made me feel real special today with center orchestra seats and bring across the street for brunch at the Delphine before the show. The boys each had a Motown themed cocktail but I stucK to ice tea cause I wanted to remember every minute. Lol

I loved today and felt real special and real blessed.

Roberta

RobertZ
05-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Well I just got back from motown the Musical and I loved it loved it loved it. The most energennic cast and the best cast Ive ever seen on stage. The Pantages Is a real beutiful theater and in the lobby was Photo exhibitions of Chris Clark photos of Diana and Marvin and Smokey and when you walk into the theater theres a big M for Motown covering the stage, the show starts on a real high note with the temps and tops at Motown 25 and then it flashes between mr gordys home in LA in 1983 to Detroit in the 1969s and then the Motown LA years in the 1970s. The lady who played The First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves got all the crowd chair dancing. She was great I only wish there was more Martha. The hunky guy who play Mr Gordy and the lovely lady that portray Diane Ross and the guys that played smokey and Marvin and Stevie were all great. The kid who played Michael Jackson brought the roof down and the Miss Ross Reach out and touch bit in the play had the entire audience all interacting it was so much fun. She got a couple of people to sing with her and then the whole Pantages held hands for reach out and Touch. Then out came Rick James and Tina Marrie and the Commodores who had us all whooping and hollering. The end of the play has Diane Ross entering from the back of the theater like Motown 25 and then she bring up Mr Gordy. The audience were on they feet stamping and clapping and showing the cast how much they loved the show. The costumes were so great and the music and orchestra were the best.

I overheard two gentlemen in the intermissions talking about how they been told that a film version of Motown the Musical is in the works. I dont know how accurate that is but thats what I heard.

My lovely nephew and his partner really made me feel real special today with center orchestra seats and bring across the street for brunch at the Delphine before the show. The boys each had a Motown themed cocktail but I stucK to ice tea cause I wanted to remember every minute. Lol

I loved today and felt real special and real blessed.

Roberta

WOW Ms. Roberta ! What a wonderful, and wonderfully written, review! I'm so glad you wrote it up; now I really hope the show returns to Broadway, or maybe our Newark NJPAC so I can get to witness it as well. Cheers to your nephew as well for recognizing his very special Aunt! Best to you, he, his partner, etc. I always look forward to your posts.

Roberta75
05-31-2015, 09:53 PM
WOW Ms. Roberta ! What a wonderful, and wonderfully written, review! I'm so glad you wrote it up; now I really hope the show returns to Broadway, or maybe our Newark NJPAC so I can get to witness it as well. Cheers to your nephew as well for recognizing his very special Aunt! Best to you, he, his partner, etc. I always look forward to your posts.

Oh thank you dear dear RobertZ. You are one of the finest and kindest and nicest people on this here forum. May God always bless and look over you and may he grant you your wish by bringing Motown the musical to the Newark area. its such a great show and I know youll love it a lot.

fondly,

Roberta

skooldem1
05-31-2015, 10:47 PM
Roberta I knew you would love it. I knew you would be overjoyed seeing "Martha" singing "Dancing in the Streets". This musical is a must see for any Motown fan. The music is fantastic, and the actors really bring our favorite musical artist to life on stage.

milven
05-31-2015, 11:40 PM
Thank you for sharing your Motown the Musical experience with us Roberta. Glad that you enjoyed the musical and it sounds like you had a very exciting day with your nephew and partner.

It is true that Berry has plans to make a movie of the musical.

RobertZ, so far Motown the Musical is not booked for NJPAC and I don't think it will be since it will be back on Broadway in the summer of 2016 and NJPAC is too close to Broadway.

REDHOT
06-01-2015, 04:00 AM
I heard Motown The Musical,is going to London also,everyone i know,that went to see it,loved it,like i did,again what a great cast,when they guys,who played Berry Gordy,[[Julius Thomas lll)sang Can I Close The Door,i was like dammmmmmm,what a voice smh,Allison Semmes,who played Diana Ross was on point,every time the young kid,who played Micheal Jackson,[[Leon Outlaw Jr.)we the audience went crazy lol,the young lady,who played Mary Wilson,went off about Love Child lol,loved it

roger
06-01-2015, 04:23 AM
I heard Motown The Musical,is going to London also,everyone i know,that went to see it,loved it,like i did,again what a great cast,when they guys,who played Berry Gordy,[[Julius Thomas lll)sang Can I Close The Door,i was like dammmmmmm,what a voice smh,Allison Semmes,who played Diana Ross was on point,every time the young kid,who played Micheal Jackson,[[Leon Outlaw Jr.)we the audience went crazy lol,the young lady,who played Mary Wilson,went off about Love Child lol,loved it

Yes Redhot ... Motown The Musical is due to open at London's Shaftesbury Theatre [[at the Holborn end of Shaftesbury Avenue) next February. Tickets went on sale two weeks back.

http://motownthemusical.co.uk/press-release/

The stage door of The Shaftesbury Theatre is on Grape Street, so it seems quite appropriate as a venue to those of us who associate Grapes and Motown [[or so I've heard through the grapevine) .. :)

This link should show Grape Street on google street-view, plus the stage door.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.516081,-0.125495,3a,75y,3.37h,94.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfaGcumPthBGo5baPnyA7FQ!2e0!6m1 !1e1

Roger

Mark Desjardines
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Question for anyone in the know re a moment in Motown The Musical. In one of the musical performances featuring Marvin Gaye singing Hitchhike, being backed by Martha & The Vandellas, there is a prominent sign on stage pronouncing this, yet the announcer comes out behind the curtain and announces "that was Marvin Gaye and The Supremes." I shuddered a bit when I heard this during the performance I saw in Ft. Lauderdale and brushed it off as a mistake. Nobody in the audience seemed tho have noticed. The same thing happened at the performance I saw in Los Angeles and I then knew it must be written into the script. Is it supposed to signify that in the minds of some announcers that R&B female groups were interchangeable or some other subtle meaning? Thoughts on this?

By the way, I found a used copy of the Original Broadway Cast CD of Motown The Musical at Amoeba Music in L.A. which was the Target version with an extra track of the new Berry Gordy written song written especially for this production, "Can i Close the Door on Love." Well worth seeking out!

Roberta75
06-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Roberta I knew you would love it. I knew you would be overjoyed seeing "Martha" singing "Dancing in the Streets". This musical is a must see for any Motown fan. The music is fantastic, and the actors really bring our favorite musical artist to life on stage.

I sure did skooldem and I could sit through Motown the Musical another 25 times I love it so much. To quote you my dear a must see for any Motown fan.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta75
06-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Thank you for sharing your Motown the Musical experience with us Roberta. Glad that you enjoyed the musical and it sounds like you had a very exciting day with your nephew and partner.

It is true that Berry has plans to make a movie of the musical.

RobertZ, so far Motown the Musical is not booked for NJPAC and I don't think it will be since it will be back on Broadway in the summer of 2016 and NJPAC is too close to Broadway.

You our most most welcome Milven. My nephew and his partner are two of the nicest and kindest and generous men on this here planet.

Fondly,

Roberta

Mark Desjardines
06-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Roberta. I wish I would have bumped into you while at Motown The Musical, during my stay in L.A. I'm still am looking for an answer to my question about the Vandellas/Supremes mix up. Any thoughts?

Roberta75
06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Roberta. I wish I would have bumped into you while at Motown The Musical, during my stay in L.A. I'm still am looking for an answer to my question about the Vandellas/Supremes mix up. Any thoughts?

That would have been real nice to meet up Mark Desjardines. I have to say i didnt notice any Supremes/Vandellas mix up. It may have happened but went right over my head. To be honest I was so mesmorized by all the authentic looking costumes and the dancing and the glamour and Berry Gordy with his shirt off in that one scene before Diane sang I hear a symphony. That actor along with the gentleman who played Marvin had me fanning myself with my program a lot lol. Did you notice the Chris Clark artwork in the theater lobby. ive attached 2 photos i took in the intermission.

Fondly,

Roberta

Mark Desjardines
06-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Yes Roberta, I did notice Chris Clark's artwork, and I saw and photographed it myself in Ft. Lauderdale last February. She is a wonderful artists as well as a fantastic singer and a script writer! In Ft. lauderdale I had a $135 orchestra seat to celebrate a "special" birthday. In L.A. I scored 3 $25 seats for myself and friends. With all the excitement of the HUGE audience participation in L.A. I felt I saw an entirely new show it was that dynamic! As the song goes, "What A Difference A Day Makes," well, what a difference an appreciative audience makes. Roberta, I always appreciate your take on things! Smile.....

Roberta75
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes Roberta, I did notice Chris Clark's artwork, and I saw and photographed it myself in Ft. Lauderdale last February. She is a wonderful artists as well as a fantastic singer and a script writer! In Ft. lauderdale I had a $135 orchestra seat to celebrate a "special" birthday. In L.A. I scored 3 $25 seats for myself and friends. With all the excitement of the HUGE audience participation in L.A. I felt I saw an entirely new show it was that dynamic! As the song goes, "What A Difference A Day Makes," well, what a difference an appreciative audience makes. Roberta, I always appreciate your take on things! Smile.....

Thank you kindly Mark Desjardines. I thought Ms Clarks artwork was fabulouys and looked real pretty in that red foyer at the Pantages. Isnt that the most glorious theater inside. And yes you are completelly right Motown the Musical is a dynamic show and the LA adiences are loving it.

Best to you my dear.

Roberta

kenneth
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Question for anyone in the know re a moment in Motown The Musical. In one of the musical performances featuring Marvin Gaye singing Hitchhike, being backed by Martha & The Vandellas, there is a prominent sign on stage pronouncing this, yet the announcer comes out behind the curtain and announces "that was Marvin Gaye and The Supremes." I shuddered a bit when I heard this during the performance I saw in Ft. Lauderdale and brushed it off as a mistake. Nobody in the audience seemed tho have noticed. The same thing happened at the performance I saw in Los Angeles and I then knew it must be written into the script. Is it supposed to signify that in the minds of some announcers that R&B female groups were interchangeable or some other subtle meaning? Thoughts on this?

By the way, I found a used copy of the Original Broadway Cast CD of Motown The Musical at Amoeba Music in L.A. which was the Target version with an extra track of the new Berry Gordy written song written especially for this production, "Can i Close the Door on Love." Well worth seeking out!

Yes, I remember that reference. It didn't jar me at the time because I knew the Supremes did occasionally sing back up to Marvin on some early sides. Of course, I should have remembered it's the VANDELLAS on "Hitch Hike".

It is the Supremes on "Can I Get a Witness," though, isn't it?

kenneth
06-02-2015, 03:55 PM
@Roberta,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the show so thoroughly. I am wondering though, did you like the Ross character's vocal style? This was my main criticism of the show. To me, except for the Martha singer, the girls all sounded alike [[and all sounded like Whitney Houston).

Did you feel she evoked Ross in her singing? I really didn't. I did love the "Reach Out and Touch" segment though. That was my favorite part of the whole show.

Glad you loved it.

Roberta75
06-02-2015, 04:27 PM
@Roberta,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the show so thoroughly. I am wondering though, did you like the Ross character's vocal style? This was my main criticism of the show. To me, except for the Martha singer, the girls all sounded alike [[and all sounded like Whitney Houston).

Did you feel she evoked Ross in her singing? I really didn't. I did love the "Reach Out and Touch" segment though. That was my favorite part of the whole show.

Glad you loved it.

I did like the Diane Ross characters singing Kenneth. I loved the lady that portray the First Lady of Motown Dr. Martha Reeves best of all but I also loved the kid who portray Michael Jackson and the actor who portray Mr Gordy had the most beautiful voice. The only singer i though that could have toned it down imo was miss Mary Wells. I felt she sort of spoiled Marys pretty voice imo. And yes the Reach Out and Touch was everybodys favorite part of the show on Sunday afternoon.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

kenneth
06-02-2015, 04:31 PM
I did like the Diane Ross characters singing Kenneth. I loved the lady that portray the First Lady of Motown Dr. Martha Reeves best of all but I also loved the kid who portray Michael Jackson and the actor who portray Mr Gordy had the most beautiful voice. The only singer i though that could have toned it down imo was miss Mary Wells. I felt she sort of spoiled Marys pretty voice imo. And yes the Reach Out and Touch was everybodys favorite part of the show on Sunday afternoon.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I agree with you about the Mary Wells singer as well. Yes, I thought the Martha character was the one who most captured Martha's spirit and verve, though her voice was not really all that reminiscent of Martha's.

I did like the Berry singer, and the Smokey too. Of course the Michael Jackson was simply fantastic!

So glad you enjoyed it. Have a great day!