PDA

View Full Version : Supremes & Temptations - Appear July 3!

test

jobeterob
05-19-2015, 02:26 PM
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07eazg4xxp15522895&llr=84drsmfab

motony
05-19-2015, 02:36 PM
wow, I bet that will be a great show.

sansradio
05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
This is great news! I'll have to register!

supremester
05-19-2015, 07:33 PM
I have seen these two acts together - and they ROCK!!!!!!!

jobeterob
05-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Funny they would make this appearance when CaptainJames asked if they ever toured together!

RobertZ
05-20-2015, 07:59 AM
I remember [[I think ...) Mary claiming that she owned the rights to the name "The Supremes". Does she actively license all the acts that tour globally under one name or another but using the name "Supremes"? And are the men in the Temptations Review the same guys who were at the Palace in NY with the Tops in December?

milven
05-20-2015, 08:28 AM
I remember [[I think ...) Mary claiming that she owned the rights to the name "The Supremes". Does she actively license all the acts that tour globally under one name or another but using the name "Supremes"? And are the men in the Temptations Review the same guys who were at the Palace in NY with the Tops in December?

The Temptations Review did not appear at the Palace with The Tops. That was Otis Williams' group, who are the official group even though they have only one original member left.

Someone here will know this better than me but I don't think anyone other than Universal owns the Supremes' name. At one time Mary owned half of it but she lost that either in a lawsuit, or she gave it away in some kind of settlement.

In this upcoming show, no act is being billed as THE SUPREMES. The act is SHERRY & LYNDA, formerly of The Supremes.

Mary also cleverly puts the name Supremes in her billing [[The Supremes' Mary Wilson, Mary Wilson of The Supremes etc.) but she can no longer say that she is a Supreme or is performing with Supremes as she once did at B.B. Kings, where she was billed as Mary Wilson and The Supremes.

The Supreme ownership has always been confusing to me and I am sure that someone who knows better will correct anything that I may have stated incorrectly.

jobeterob
05-20-2015, 11:03 AM
If I recall correctly, the FLOS got the right to use the name in Britain ~ I think Mary challenged and lost because they said she hadn't made any use of the name ~ and the Court gave it to the FLOS.

RobertZ
05-20-2015, 11:26 AM
The Temptations Review did not appear at the Palace with The Tops. That was Otis Williams' group, who are the official group even though they have only one original member left.

Someone here will know this better than me but I don't think anyone other than Universal owns the Supremes' name. At one time Mary owned half of it but she lost that either in a lawsuit, or she gave it away in some kind of settlement.

In this upcoming show, no act is being billed as THE SUPREMES. The act is SHERRY & LYNDA, formerly of The Supremes.

Mary also cleverly puts the name Supremes in her billing [[The Supremes' Mary Wilson, Mary Wilson of The Supremes etc.) but she can no longer say that she is a Supreme or is performing with Supremes as she once did at B.B. Kings, where she was billed as Mary Wilson and The Supremes.

The Supreme ownership has always been confusing to me and I am sure that someone who knows better will correct anything that I may have stated incorrectly.
It's rather murkey, as the ad still uses the names Supremes [[realistically, if the ad just read Sherry & Lynda ...) and Temptations. WE know the qualifiers but ... Anyway I'm sure it will be a great success - the free shows in Brooklyn get huge and enthusiastic crowds. But it would still be interesting to know if these other groups have to pay royalties on the use of the group names. And does Dennis' group have any vintage Temps? They look like more age-appropriate guys.

rod_rick
05-20-2015, 11:39 AM
It's rather murkey, as the ad still uses the names Supremes [[realistically, if the ad just read Sherry & Lynda ...) and Temptations. WE know the qualifiers but ... Anyway I'm sure it will be a great success - the free shows in Brooklyn get huge and enthusiastic crowds. But it would still be interesting to know if these other groups have to pay royalties on the use of the group names. And does Dennis' group have any vintage Temps? They look like more age-appropriate guys.

From my understanding all parties involved came to an understanding regarding group billing for both The Supremes and Temptations. Hence DENNIS EDWARD'S TEMPTATIONS REVIEW AND SCHERRIE PAYNE & LYNDA LAURENCE FORMERLY OF THE SUPREMES.

RobertZ
05-20-2015, 11:59 AM
From my understanding all parties involved came to an understanding regarding group billing for both The Supremes and Temptations. Hence DENNIS EDWARD'S TEMPTATIONS REVIEW AND SCHERRIE PAYNE & LYNDA LAURENCE FORMERLY OF THE SUPREMES.
Do they perform together at all? That would be cool -

franjoy56
05-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Do they perform together at all? That would be cool -since the show is in brookkyn i think i will register to attend the show, myb ill hear dennis sing cloud 9, dont look sny further, scherrie and linda sing bad weather, let my heart do the walking

jobeterob
05-21-2015, 12:41 AM
To see the show would be great! Lucky Fran!

RobertZ
05-21-2015, 02:10 PM
since the show is in brookkyn i think i will register to attend the show, myb ill hear dennis sing cloud 9, dont look sny further, scherrie and linda sing bad weather, let my heart do the walking

With those songs I'd be jealous too! Have a great time -

Roberta75
05-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a real nice show and I bet Joyce and Lynda and Sherrie and Dennis will be great.

Fondly,

Roberta