PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Merry Christmas

test

sup_fan
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
ok - tis the season!

every year i break out the Sups' Merry Xmas cd. some really strong moments. some not so strong but make me smile

So it's been established that this is one of the first Supremes projects that the Andantes worked on. so which songs do you think they're singing as opposed to M&F? here's my guesses

White Christmas - Andantes
Silver Bells - Andantes
Born of Mary - Andantes
Children's Christmas Song - M&F
Little Drummer Boy - i think both. def sounds like M&F on 3 part harmony verse but not sure about the earlier parts
My Christmas Tree - M&F
Rudolph Red Nose - i think it's M&F
Santa's Coming To Town - Andantes
My Favorite Things - Andantes
Twinkle Twinkle Little Me - M&F
Little Bright Star - Andantes
Joy To the World - Andantes
Oh Holy Night - no backgrounds
The Christmas Song - no backgrounds
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - think it's M&F
Noel - no backgrounds
Silent Night - Andantes

thoughts?

floyjoy678
12-01-2010, 11:35 PM
the only song to my ears that sound like mary and flo alone are my favorite things. it sounds like mary and flo on santa claus is coming to town doing the middle part with the andantes rounding out the high and low harmony. it also sounds like both mary and flo and the andantes on rudolph but thats basically it to me.

honest man
12-03-2010, 08:27 AM
does anyone have the 2 versions of LITTLE XMAS TREE [Michael jackson],they could post please, stevie wonder xmas tunes are the best, i think/know.

randy_russi
12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I think the Spinners were said to have participated on some the Supremes' Christmas recordings. I think one of the
Andantes said this in the book that Vickie Wright wrote about them, Motown From the Background.

nomis
12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Mary and Flo were hardly there for the xmas sessions= Diana was pissed she had to work alone..but it was something she would soon learn to live with in the next few years..

jillfoster
12-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Mary and Flo were hardly there for the xmas sessions= Diana was pissed she had to work alone..but it was something she would soon learn to live with in the next few years..

If they weren't, then when did Flo record her leads?

iconicpuff
12-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I think the Spinners were said to have participated on some the Supremes' Christmas recordings. I think one of the
Andantes said this in the book that Vickie Wright wrote about them, Motown From the Background.
Pat Lewis claims she sang on this, but says her sister Diane was with the Andantes on most of the songs. This was also from 'Motown from the backpart!'

marv2
12-04-2010, 09:57 AM
If they weren't, then when did Flo record her leads?

They [[Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson) were on those sessions. This comes up every year around Christmas here. Just more blather.

iconicpuff
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
In Mary's book she makes reference to recording 'Noel' which eventually appeared on the expanded ed., but that's it! Can't see any other mention of it.

iconicpuff
12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
They [[Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson) were on those sessions. This comes up every year around Christmas here. Just more blather.
But 'festive' blather, surely?

stephanie
12-04-2010, 10:48 AM
oh god now the Spinners were on the Christmas album with the Andantes! Flo and Mary were not enough they could have doubletracked them! Flos voice was in fine form at this time she didnt go down to a contralto like she did in the 70s and we have all heard O Holy Night and Silent Night.. Surely Mary and Flo didnt need the Andantes and if they did why the Spinners?

carlo
12-04-2010, 10:55 AM
When I listen to the Christmas album, I don't hear Mary and Flo at all [[except for Flo's lead on "Silent Night"). I'm pretty sure it's almost 100% the Andantes. Someone said above that Mary and Flo are on "Noel", but isn't it pretty much a solo recording? I don't recall hearing background vocals on Noel.

marv2
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
But 'festive' blather, surely?

hehehehehehe.........LOL!!!

bradsupremes
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Actually the background vocals are really Tina Duress and Linda Lorenz.

jobeterob
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the list Sup Fan.

I would have been one of the people that would never have imagined anyone other than the Supremes were on the record. I would have thought on some of them they just didn't have Supremes singing much, just Diana, but it was always the Supremes.

I know it's been written that the Supremes aren't on most of the album and what Carlo wrote above is common thinking now.

You also know you are onto something when Marv doesn't want to hear it and gives you LOL or blather and stuff. That generally means it's true but it has somehow not elevated Mary to where Marv needs her to be this morning, truth be damned!

But in any case, the real fun is listening and seeing if you agree with the list. I've not pulled any Christmas CD out yet.

uptight
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Andy broke down each song on the album a few years back on this forum regarding who sings on the tracks. But I cannot find that thread in the forum's archive. It may have been 5 or 6 years ago, though. Basically he said most of the tracks were Diana and The Andantes, some were Diana, Mary & Flo with The Andantes.

captainjames
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Its amazing this CD still sells to this day and is probably 90% Diana and The Andantes.

jillfoster
12-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Who gives a crap, I might as well pull out my Christmas CD from the Ray Conniff singers.

RossHolloway
12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I love their Chrismas album. Would love to hear any live Christmas songs they may have done.

jobeterob
12-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Randy says in his last book: "Diana, alone, recorded this album. Though Mary and Florence later added vocals to a few of the tracks, most of what is heard in the background is courtesy of session singers."

He then talks about the tracks added later like Flo's Silent Night.

captainjames
12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Who gives a crap, I might as well pull out my Christmas CD from the Ray Conniff singers.

ha ha ha
Over one million buyers who still play it to ths day.

stephanie
12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Did the Mike Curb congregation do any christmas albums?

marv2
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Randy says in his last book: "Diana, alone, recorded this album. Though Mary and Florence later added vocals to a few of the tracks, most of what is heard in the background is courtesy of session singers."

He then talks about the tracks added later like Flo's Silent Night.

One more time, Randy was not there.

iconicpuff
12-05-2010, 04:08 PM
One more time, Randy was not there.
And neither were Mary and Flo, apparently!

marv2
12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
And neither were Mary and Flo, apparently!

No, that's where you're wrong. They were there definitely.

jobeterob
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Marv............if Randy, Mark Ribowsky or the local troll said Mary was there, you'd quote them as the gospel.

When they say things you don't like, you deny it all and propose to us that you were in the closet spying on them and that you saw Diana shit in Flo's tea cup during the same proceedings, but that Mary accidentally drank it as Diane fingered her.

But the people on this forum that actually know Mary, know that you don't know Mary and that you are no Randy or Mark.

So, we'll have to give you your blather blather lol on this one; sorry bud.

marv2
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Marv............if Randy, Mark Ribowsky or the local troll said Mary was there, you'd quote them as the gospel.

When they say things you don't like, you deny it all and propose to us that you were in the closet spying on them and that you saw Diana shit in Flo's tea cup during the same proceedings, but that Mary accidentally drank it as Diane fingered her.

But the people on this forum that actually know Mary, know that you don't know Mary and that you are no Randy or Mark.

So, we'll have to give you your blather blather lol on this one; sorry bud.

The only things I dislike are untruths or gross inaccuracies. Other than that, you can believe what you wanna believe. LOL!

smark21
12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I think over the years in Supremes fans circles, certain hardcore Diana Ross partisians have used The Andantes singing background in place of Mary and Flo/Cindy as a weapon to suggest that Mary, Flo and Cindy were not talented and that only Diana mattered and that makes hard core fans of the group and/or Mary, Flo and Cindy very defensive, rightfully so when some argue they could not sing as they could and it's a shame they weren't on those records, but you can't change history.

Of course the real culprit is Motown--let's face it, integrity in marketing the groups was very low on their list of priorities.

marv2
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
CARLOOOOOOO! Please check your private messages buddy. Thanks

captainjames
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Ding Dong Ding Dong Hear the Bells ---Ringing out the first Noel !!!!!
Diana always sounded good on this song.

jobeterob
12-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Excellent post Smark; I think you are totally right.

Just because Mary and Florence are barely on Merry Christmas doesn't mean they aren't talented and didn't play a big part in the Supremes. But the history is there; Mary can admit she doesn't get bookings like Diana, Mary can admit she doesn't have the success or money of Diana but hardcore Mary fans or group fans feel they are giving up something or it is an admission of failure or something. The two have nothing to do with each other.

I always thought it was Mary doing the talking on Someday We'll Be Together; I couldn't believe it when I started to hear that Mary and Cindy didn't sing on most of the singles after Florence left. It took a while and it's just the way things turned out.

Andy and Randy and Mark aren't wrong other than for Marv in these circumstances. The world will go on apparently.

iconicpuff
12-06-2010, 07:51 AM
No, that's where you're wrong. They were there definitely.

No they weren't!

carlo
12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
No offense, but NONE of you were there when they recorded this album, so to argue over who was or wasn't there is pointless. I go by what I hear. I've been listening to the Andantes for years, so from what I hear, I'm almost certain that it's mostly the Andantes on the Christmas album. I was disappointed when I made this discovery [[after reading J. Randy's book), but I still continue to enjoy the Christmas album. I will always think of it as THE SUPREMES' album. I've been listening to this album every year, for the last 10 or more years, and whenever I listen to it, I still continue to get that "feeling of Christmas". I love it.

johnjeb
12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I received this album for my 16th birthday, 45 years ago this week.

I still enjoy it, as do my mother and siblings. I now only listen to it once or twice during the Christmas season.

I played it for the first time this morning - the mono version, which I prefer. I burned a mint mono copy of the album [[my original mono was worn) onto CD-R about 10 years ago. There are differences in WC, SB, MCT and TTLM and undecipherable studio chatter by DR during the bridge on SCICTT.

Learning that the backgrounds are The Andantes rather than The Supremes has diminished the album's appeal for me somewhat. Then when I found out that the original color of the dresses was blue or green it gave me a chuckle. Ever since I got the album I have wondered if the girls posed like that or if it is a cut and paste job. I always thought DR's shoulders looked awfully broad. Maybe it's their faces but not their torsos! And so the plot thickens! Next we'll probably find out that all the lead vocals were done by Valerie Simpson.

captainjames
12-06-2010, 05:11 PM
This is truly a wonderful piece of work, I have always love this album during the holiday season. I usually hear "Silver Bells" in department stores while I am out around this time.

uptight
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
JohnJeb, I have seen photographic outtakes of the cover. Only the color of the blouses was changed from blue to red in the photo lab. I doubt if the heads were swapped, LOL.

nomis
12-06-2010, 07:18 PM
...i bought the cd last night Ive never listened to this collection before..its better than i expected..but I dont hear Mary or Flo yet..I think the album is the start of the slide into a more show tune direction that was to come in the following years..its what it is - an album meant to be played at one time of the year and thats it...

johnjeb
12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
JohnJeb, I have seen photographic outtakes of the cover. Only the color of the blouses was changed from blue to red in the photo lab. I doubt if the heads were swapped, LOL.

uptight, I also doubt the heads were swapped, but thanks for your reassurance. :D

I was just being facetious in my previous post. It seems that as time goes on we're finding out more and more about some of our favorite artists and albums. First there may not be any Supremes in the background vocals, then red isn't the original color of the dresses. So I was jokingly wondering what someone will dig up next.

Of course changing the colors of dresses for The Supremes albums was not new at that time. The green dresses for the 1964 WDOLG cover were changed in 1965 to light blue for the MTS re-issue and yellow for SSCW&P. At least that's how it appears to me.

captainjames
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Actually, I am glad some of the truth has finally come to light. For years I argued with a friend about "You Keep me Hanging On". It went on for years that Flo was singing right under Diana on that song and it took HDH to tell us that it was all Diana on lead and guess what ?...................They were there.

stephanie
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Dont underestimate the power of Flo and Mary. When they shucked them for the Andantes [[the Composer, and other lower charting singles were to come) Love Child was the only huge hit they had with the Andantes and what mattered were the visuals at that time and Cindy stepping in with the dance steps. Oh I forgot Im Livin in Shame did well but the point is 90 percent of the hits had Mary and Flo and Ed Sullivan with concert appearances is what endeared these women to our hearts. I truly believe that if the Marvelettes had more exposure and no internal drama they would have carried on as well.

sup_fan
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
guys - i'd argue that i'm about as big of a Supremes fan out there as anyone. my starting this post surely shouldn't have started all of these tired=ass dialogs on here. for god sakes you guys - it really just isn't that serious. get a f***ing life!!

the reason i started this post was to discuss from a HISTORICAL perspective as to which tracks are M&F and which are Andantes. While Randy T might not have been in the studio, he's certainly done more research and had far more access to the studios and vaults than anyone on here, you included Marv. I'm basing this thread on his research that showed the Andantes are on the lp. that and my own Supremely expert ear from listening to the girls [[in whatever grouping) for decades. after a while you should be able to identify someone by their voice. The fact that other singers might be on the lp isn't a slight to F or M and the fact that motown recorded them on ZILLIONS of subsequent songs should inform you that the powers at be at motown didn't find them useless or talentless. as has been stated by many informed sources, Motown was going 24/7. it was about capitalizing on the moment, not sentiment. they wanted an Xmas lp out in time for xmas and so they probably recorded most of the tracks ahead and time and then raced Diana through the leads. It's also well documented that the girls rarely recorded together so as for Flo's leads, those probably wouldn't have been recorded when they were doing the backgrounds anyway. frankly i wonder if her 2 songs were sort of done as an afterthought. i've heard that Diana did a lead version of Silent Night and apparently she really struggles with it. so maybe they thought - hey, let's pull flo in here and see what she can do. Honestly i don't think these are her 2 strongest performances ever waxed. the arrangements are SOOOOO slow and dragging that it impacts her pitch some. but hey, at least we get to hear her some

again, lets drop all the tired baggage.

jobeterob
12-07-2010, 02:06 AM
When I play this CD, which isn't that often, I have never ever thought of who sings on it.......ever! I'm going to find it now and try but I'll probably sing along, likely with the Suprandantes and forget to listen to who might be on it.

More interesting to me is those of us who know the voices; I once told a Universal executive that Diana laughs on the Motown Story during one of Berry's intro's.........and he had no idea, no clue, and didn't really enjoy being told.

Even more interesting to me is how and why an obsessed fan would make these eternal bleatings when all the cards, all the face cards and the Aces are against him; it's like you'll lose a life if Mary and Flo didn't go "ooh and ahh" on My Favourite Things. What causes this in a child? Don't tell me that child ain't sick. Nobody makes a noise like that on purpose!

marybrewster
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Now come on kids, I want you to gather around me, and fold [[or at least cross) your legs on the
floor. And we're gonna tell the story about the first Christmas. Alright,
jobeterob, open your book. carlo, nomis, jonc, everybody open your book and we're
gonna sing the song. And when I say "Ding and Dong", I want you to say the same
with me. Alright ready? Aaha now, open your books. Good, let's go, yeah. Now!

RossHolloway
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
guys - i'd argue that i'm about as big of a Supremes fan out there as anyone. my starting this post surely shouldn't have started all of these tired=ass dialogs on here. for god sakes you guys - it really just isn't that serious. get a f***ing life!!

the reason i started this post was to discuss from a HISTORICAL perspective as to which tracks are M&F and which are Andantes. While Randy T might not have been in the studio, he's certainly done more research and had far more access to the studios and vaults than anyone on here, you included Marv. I'm basing this thread on his research that showed the Andantes are on the lp. that and my own Supremely expert ear from listening to the girls [[in whatever grouping) for decades. after a while you should be able to identify someone by their voice. The fact that other singers might be on the lp isn't a slight to F or M and the fact that motown recorded them on ZILLIONS of subsequent songs should inform you that the powers at be at motown didn't find them useless or talentless. as has been stated by many informed sources, Motown was going 24/7. it was about capitalizing on the moment, not sentiment. they wanted an Xmas lp out in time for xmas and so they probably recorded most of the tracks ahead and time and then raced Diana through the leads. It's also well documented that the girls rarely recorded together so as for Flo's leads, those probably wouldn't have been recorded when they were doing the backgrounds anyway. frankly i wonder if her 2 songs were sort of done as an afterthought. i've heard that Diana did a lead version of Silent Night and apparently she really struggles with it. so maybe they thought - hey, let's pull flo in here and see what she can do. Honestly i don't think these are her 2 strongest performances ever waxed. the arrangements are SOOOOO slow and dragging that it impacts her pitch some. but hey, at least we get to hear her some

again, lets drop all the tired baggage.

You had to have known that the way you started the thread was going to start this whole negative dialogue. You can not be suprised. Shame on you for starting the thread, this is not your first week on Soulful Detroit.

sup_fan
12-07-2010, 12:42 PM
no shame on your ross for not being able to recognize the difference between diatribe and openly discussing an aspect of the group career. note that i didn't put any commentary on why they did or didn't use M&F. nor did i offer my personal opinions on whether they should or shouldn't have done this. also i didn't ask for people's personal feelings about the decision to use the andantes. it has been know for decades now that M, F and C were not on every release under the name Supremes. for better or worse, it's a fact. so if you read my initial post i wasn't asking people to bleed their hearts on the injustice of using the andantes. rather i opened up a dialog about a relevant topic [[it is christmas time after all) and asked people to identify which tracks they are on. the purpose of these boards is to offer a forum for fans to discuss and share. i WILL NOT refrain from posting a legitimate topic on here discussion just because some people can't participate in an objective manner

sup_fan
12-07-2010, 01:18 PM
on a positive note, the Today Show is using "my favorite things" from this collection for their "theme song" during their holiday steals and deals segment

proving the timelessness of this collection. still regularly hear MFT, rudolph, santa is coming to town, white christmas from this set in stores and malls

reese
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Just the other day, I heard LITTLE BRIGHT STAR while shopping for shoes.

sup_fan
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
wow - don't usually hear the original tracks much

RossHolloway
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
no shame on your ross for not being able to recognize the difference between diatribe and openly discussing an aspect of the group career. note that i didn't put any commentary on why they did or didn't use M&F. nor did i offer my personal opinions on whether they should or shouldn't have done this. also i didn't ask for people's personal feelings about the decision to use the andantes. it has been know for decades now that M, F and C were not on every release under the name Supremes. for better or worse, it's a fact. so if you read my initial post i wasn't asking people to bleed their hearts on the injustice of using the andantes. rather i opened up a dialog about a relevant topic [[it is christmas time after all) and asked people to identify which tracks they are on. the purpose of these boards is to offer a forum for fans to discuss and share. i WILL NOT refrain from posting a legitimate topic on here discussion just because some people can't participate in an objective manner

No shame on you for not having any foresight. You should know how these threads always devolve into fighting camps over the Andantes vs. MFC. Perhaps a better discussion would have been why the PRODUCERS may have used the Andantes over Mary and Florence on the record. Were they off recording backgrounds for other songs and unavailable for the Chrismas songs? The Andantes were used for background on all the major girl group records from about '65 onwards. It's a fact, the Andantes sing wonderfully, get over it, move on. You had to have known you were going to open up another nasty can of worms. Why do you suppose the Marvelettes, Martha and The Vandellas or The Four Tops never recording Christmas music during the 60's or Marvin Gaye for that fact?

Or heck even trying to re-create a time line to try and figure out where the group was at during the recording of their Christmas album. Were the tracks laid down in Detroit, LA or NY? Where were the backgroud vocals done? What about the lead vocals? What else were they recording during this time frame? [[August/September 1965). Were they in LA alot doing tv shows? Were they touring alot during this time and not really in Detroit? Were they overseas performing? Did the producers not have enough time to work on both Diana's lead vocals and Mary and Florence background vocals all at the same time? Was it more efficient if they laid everything down and just had Diana do her lead vocals? What takes more time to get right? The lead vocals or the background vocals? It seems like the Christmas album was done-start to finish- in under 3 months. And considering what we know about how Motown [[writers, producers, musicians etc.) worked that's a very short turn around time on a project.

olamaebarto
12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Glad I"m Jewish.

RossHolloway
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Glad I"m Jewish.

What does being Jewish have to do with anything? Hasn't Barbara Streisand put out TWO Christmas albums?

jobeterob
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't really see anything wrong with Sup Fan raising this issue; it's a forum; it's a legitimate question. I'm still going to get out my CD and listen and see what I hear because I think it will be fun to do that.

The only negative issue was raised by Marv and what do you expect, really? Mary Wilson doesn't care about the things Marv cares about.

And it really doesn't matter; Mary and Diana will still get a few bucks out of this CD because I think it still sells a little bit even in these days of downloading. The songs are good.

The reason generally given for not using Mary, Flo, Cindy, Vandellas and Marvelettes on the backgrounds is they were on the road and it saved money. And to the public, all that matters was the lead vocal. To us, it is different.

Mary B, I've opened my book...........Ding.............Dong..........Ding .........Dong...........DingDong; Mary, will Marv be in this game?

captainjames
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I will always love this album but I am afraid the only song that my ears hear Mary and Flo on are "The Childrens' Christmas Song" but, I hear others there as well. I wonder and would love what Mary and Flo thought when Motown recorded them without each other. For instance Mary was sometimes recorded with the Andantes, I wonder if she ever walked out of the studio saying WTF ?

stephanie
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I dont see where everyone is hearing Mary and Flo on the Childrens Christmas Song all I hear are those darned kids!!! I think it was Hullaballoo or one of those shows where Mary and Flo look pitiful back there with those hats on and Diana saying "you say ding and dong"

I was hoping Flo would take that hat off and do a shimmy! Im sorry to me that is an embarrassing Supremes moment I felt sorry for them.

smark21
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I dont see where everyone is hearing Mary and Flo on the Childrens Christmas Song all I hear are those darned kids!!! I think it was Hullaballoo or one of those shows where Mary and Flo look pitiful back there with those hats on and Diana saying "you say ding and dong"

I was hoping Flo would take that hat off and do a shimmy! Im sorry to me that is an embarrassing Supremes moment I felt sorry for them.

Children's Christmas Song was one of the worst things ever released under the Supremes name. The Disney music sessions were far better children's music recordings that CCS.

smark21
12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
What does being Jewish have to do with anything? Hasn't Barbara Streisand put out TWO Christmas albums?

Oh dear, you're suffering from a bad case of irony deficiency and humor impairment.

smark21
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I will always love this album but I am afraid the only song that my ears hear Mary and Flo on are "The Childrens' Christmas Song" but, I hear others there as well. I wonder and would love what Mary and Flo thought when Motown recorded them without each other. For instance Mary was sometimes recorded with the Andantes, I wonder if she ever walked out of the studio saying WTF ?

I'd be curious to know if early on when the Andantes were used in place of Mary and Flo if Diana Ross felt her group was being slighted and raised any objections in private? Or if she didn't care one way or the other?

olamaebarto
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Take some fiber, dear. You sound like you need it.

olamaebarto
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh dear, you're suffering from a bad case of irony deficiency and humor impairment.

Thank you darling. Either that or a need of a Midol or a good colonic.

sup_fan
12-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Ross - all i'm going to say is here's your timeline. I've data from all of the Hip O Select releases, the 2000 box set and any other recent CD release with quality liner notes. In addition, i've added in mary's timeline although we've all come to realize that it's not exact. looks as though, for some reason, her dates tend to line up more with the dates the TRACKS were recorded, not the vocals. go figure

As you can see there's little to no information regarding the holiday recording. so therefore there's unidentified information which, as a fan and amateur historian, i'd like to learn more about. I'm very aware that often times, dialogs on here turn to the negative. I could be like Rick Beuche, Dan Verona, Andy Skurow, Harry Weigner and others that rarely to never post on here. And while i certainly don't claim to be in these guy's league in terms of Sup knowledge, i will say that i've gathered quite a bit. i love to share it and learn more too. so i'm willing to risk "opening that can of worms" if it means learning more about the girls.

January
1/8/63 He Means The World To Me

February
2/6/63, 2/17 &2/26 Country Western Pop sessions
2/8/63 track for I'm The Exception To The Rule recorded. Vocal dates unknown
2/28/63 You Gonna Come To Me version 4

March
3/27/64 Everyday I'll Love You More Than Yesterday

May
5/6/63 Beginning To The Ending
5/7/63 Run, Run, Run
5/7/63 Standing At The Crossroads Of Love

July
7/17/63 Your Kiss of Fire
7/15/63 track for This Is It recorded. Vocal dates unknown
7/22/63 Mr Blues
7/24/63 re-recorded Your Kiss of Fire
7/31/63 Come On Boy

September
9/10/64 Bye Baby
9/17/63 My Imagination
9/18/63 Long Gone Lover
9/18/63 I Idolize You

October
10/1/63 When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes

November
11/25/63 Honey Babe

January
1/6/64 Penny Pincher

February
2/4/64 Let Me Hear You Say [[I Love You)

March
3/20/64 Don’t Take It Away
3/20/64 Just Call Me
3/25/64 That's A Funny Way

April
4/8/64 Where Did Our Love Go
4/10/64 Ask Any Girl
4/21/64 Stop, Look & Listen
May
Remove This Doubt
5/4/64 Send Me No Flowers
Love Is In Our Heart

July
7/13/64 Come See About Me

7/24/64 Baby Love

August

8/7/64 - 8/9/64 recorded Live Live Live
8/13/64 re-recorded Baby Love
8/17/64 Ooowee Baby
8/18/64 It's All Your Fault
8/20/64 Put Yourself In My Place

October A Bit Of Liverpool sessions

November
11/9/64 Everything Is Good About You
11/16/64 re-recorded Ooowee Baby
11/24/64 The Only Time I'm Happy
11/24/64 Who Could Ever Doubt My Love

December
12/1/64 Back In My Arms Again
12/1/64 I'm In Love Again
12/9/64 Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I'm Going Through)
12/10/64 Surfer Boy
12/12/64 Bikini Party
12/16/64 Take Me Where You Go
Come Into My Palace
Beach Ball

January
1/5/65 Stop! In The Name Of Love
1/13/65 rerecorded Take Me Where You Go
February
2/2/65 recorded Battle Of The Stars, 3 sides. Unreleased
2/23/65 There's No Love Left
2/23/65 It's All Your Fault
2/25/65 Sam Cooke lp sessions
Too Hurt To Cry, Too In Love To Say Goodbye

March
3/11/65 Sam Cooke lp sessions
3/13/65 Fancy Passes version 1 lead vocals
3/13/65 You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You lead vocals
3/13/65 Something For My Heart lead vocals
3/13/65 Little Miss Loser lead vocals
April
4/1/65 Heatwave
4/13/65 Rockabye Your baby lead vocals
4/15/65 Little Miss Loser background vocals
4/15/65 Fancy Passes version 1 background vocals
4/15/65 Something For My Heart background vocals
4/16/65 Something For My Heart additional background vocals
4/16/65 Big City Babies Don't Cry background vocals
4/17/65 Rockabye Your baby background vocals
4/19/65 You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You background vocals
4/19/65 He's All I Got
4/27/65 rerecorded Put Yourself In My Place

unknown recording dates
The Boy From Ipenema
Put On A Happy Face
Our Day Will Come
Somewhere
Make Someone Happy
Sleepwalk
People
I Am Woman
Around The World In 80 Days

May
5/7/65 It's The Same Old Song
5/12/65 Coca Cola commercials
5/13/65 Nothing But Heartaches
5/25/65 Love You Forever
5/25/65 Don't Let True Love Die

June
6/2/65 Mother Dear
6/16/65 Sincerely
6/16/65 Mr Sandman
6/23/65 Love Is Like An Ithchin' In My Heart

July
7/7/65 Too Much A Little Too Soon
7/29/65 - ? At The Copa recorded

September
recording sessions for Merry Christmas
9/2/65 rerecorded Mother Dear
9/14/65 Noel
9/22/65 I Hear A Symphony

October
10/28/65 My World Is Empty Without You

November
11/15/65 - 11/16 I Hear A Symphony LP sessions
11/29/65 All Of A Sudden My Heart Sings lead vocals

December
12/2/65 All Of A Sudden My Heart Sings background vocals

unknown dates
Dr Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine

January
1/19/66 rerecorded Mother Dear

February
2/11/66 He

March
3/12/66 Blowin' In the Wind
3/23/66 recorded 2 sides for Sing HDH

April
4/20/66 It's Not Unusual lead vocals
4/20/66 [[I Can't Get No) Satisfaction lead vocals
4/21/66 [[I Can't Get No) Satisfaction background vocals
4/21/66 It's Not Unusual background vocals
4/21/66 Mickey's Monkey background vocals
4/21/66 Uptight background vocals
4/22/66 Don't Let True Love Die background vocals
4/26/66 Mickey's Monkey lead vocals
4/26/66 Uptight lead vocals
Can I Get A Witness

June
6/11/66 You Can't Hurry Love
6/13/66 Let The Music Play background vocals
6/14/66 recorded and rerecorded 5 Sing HDH sides
6/14/66 Baby I Need Your Loving
6/15/66 rerecorded Baby I Need Your Loving
6/15/66 Let The Music Play lead vocals
6/15/66 Who Can I Turn To lead vocals
6/15/66 Come And Get These Memories background vocals
6/16/66 Don't Let True Love Die lead vocals
6/16/66 Come And Get These Memories lead vocals
6/21/66 Going Down For The Third Time
6/22/66 I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) background vocals
6/24/66 Who Can I Turn To background vocals
6/30/66 You Keep Me Hangin' On
6/30/66 Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart

July
7/1/66 Just A Little Misunderstanding
7/1/66 What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
7/1/66 Come on and See Me
7/8/66 With A Child's Heart
7/9/66 rerecorded Put Yourself In My Face
7/11/66 Just A Smile Away
Slow Down

August
If I Ruled The World
Love Is Here And Now You're Gone

September
9/25/66 recorded unreleased live lp at Detroit Roostertail

October
10/13/66 My Guy
10/21/66 - 10/24/66 Rodger's & Hart sessions
10/24/66 The Shadow Of Your Smile lead vocals
10/25/66 The Sound Of Music lead vocals
10/25/66 Tender Is The Night lead vocals
10/26/66 The Sound Of Music background vocals

November
11/17/66 If I Rules The World background vocals
11/17/66 Tender Is The Night background vocals
11/17/66 The Shadow Of Your Smile background vocals
11/31/66 If I Ruled The World lead vocals

unknown recording dates
Strangers In The Night
What Now My Love
Fancy Passes version 2
Thjere's No Stopping Us Now

sup_fan
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
i don't think Children's Xmas song is all that bad. certainly not musical magic. but i think it was always intended to be just a cutesy sing-along. Twinkle Twinkle Little Me is rather inane.

I also think that the arrangement for Joy To the World is awful. too fast, too brassy, too much

so is it really Terry, Joy, Chico and Berry Jr singing on Children's Xmas song? i guess then to be consistent we need to add them to the list of people that sang backup for Diana during her Supremes days along with the Andantes, the Water sisters, J Bristol lol. Or am I just opening up another "can of worms" ;)

blueskies
12-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I bought the Christmas LP when I was a kid. Even then, it didn't pass the smell test. I thought something was fishy even back then with those background vocals. It just didn't sound right to me. By this, I mean it didn't sound LIKE Mary and Flo. It's never been one of my favorites. I played the CD a couple of years ago and got about half way through and put it away. It would have been cool if the Jean lead 70's Supremes would have done a Christmas LP.

jillfoster
12-08-2010, 01:10 AM
The Andantes were used for background on all the major girl group records from about '65 onwards. It's a fact, the Andantes sing wonderfully, get over it, move on.

The Andantes don't sing wonderfully, except in a few circumstances.... but what thye DID do was learn parts very quickly and work for peanuts. Berry Gordy LOVED fast and cheap. But they weren't exactly in demand once Motown moved, We're not talking The Blossoms or Cissy Houston, here. the Andantes sound lovely in the high parts on the Four tops' records... but that's about it. Otherwise, theyr'e boring and milquetoast sounding, no liveliness, no color, no action. You want to hear GOOD background vocals, listen to THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqRo7J_Y0Q

sup_fan
12-08-2010, 04:13 AM
jill - i agree. i don't think the andantes were necessarily gorgeous vocalist. to be honest, i had no idea for the longest time that it was them doing the "ahhs" in the intro Love Is Here. to be honest, i didn't even know those were vocals. i thought it was some odd synthesizer sound, similar to Reflections!! there are times when they really do sound good. and man, the soprano sure hits that high "ahhh" in love child. no offense to Cindy or Mary, but neither had that vocal power. but most of their vocals are just colorless and blah, especially when motown would mix them low and into the backing track.

to compare - listen to the wonderful vocals of MJC in the backgrounds for Up The Ladder

iconicpuff
12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Just the other day, I heard LITTLE BRIGHT STAR while shopping for shoes.

Did you get some nice shoes or were you overcome with wondering whether it was the Andantes and Diane Lewis singing the backparts rather than Mary and Flo that your mind went blank and you forgot?

iconicpuff
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
i don't think Children's Xmas song is all that bad. certainly not musical magic. but i think it was always intended to be just a cutesy sing-along. Twinkle Twinkle Little Me is rather inane.

I also think that the arrangement for Joy To the World is awful. too fast, too brassy, too much

so is it really Terry, Joy, Chico and Berry Jr singing on Children's Xmas song? i guess then to be consistent we need to add them to the list of people that sang backup for Diana during her Supremes days along with the Andantes, the Water sisters, J Bristol lol. Or am I just opening up another "can of worms" ;)

Well, I think the only folk who didn't supply backparts for Miss Ross during the 60s were those who could run past the doors of Hitsville Studio fast enough not to be dragged in for duty!

reese
12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Did you get some nice shoes or were you overcome with wondering whether it was the Andantes and Diane Lewis singing the backparts rather than Mary and Flo that your mind went blank and you forgot?

Actually my first thought was that they were playing one of my least favorite songs from that album. My second thought was "Do I really need these shoes?" :-)

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Aah, No dear. I got the post and apparently you didn't see the irony OR humor in my post. Try and keep up if you can. ;)

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Take some fiber, dear. You sound like you need it.

I'm actually very, very regular. But thanks for your concern over my digestive system. Perhaps you should just mind your own business.

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
The Andantes don't sing wonderfully, except in a few circumstances.... but what thye DID do was learn parts very quickly and work for peanuts. Berry Gordy LOVED fast and cheap. But they weren't exactly in demand once Motown moved, We're not talking The Blossoms or Cissy Houston, here. the Andantes sound lovely in the high parts on the Four tops' records... but that's about it. Otherwise, theyr'e boring and milquetoast sounding, no liveliness, no color, no action. You want to hear GOOD background vocals, listen to THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqRo7J_Y0Q

Well you're one of just a handfull of people who actually think that lol. It's a wonder that Motown sold all those records back in the day when the Andantes sung on almost 3/4 of those singles released back in the 1960's. The Andantes were and are great singers.

Kamasu_Jr
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I say God Bless the Andantes. They were some of the best female vocalists at Motown. Whoever thinks they were bland or colorless has apparently been listening to way too much Donny & Marie, the Partridge Family and Vicki Carr.
The Andantes were some bad sisters in Studio A.
Bland my ass!
Obviously you've never heard the Andantes sing behind Sammy ward or amos Milburn, where they laid down pure Detroit Gospel soul. So what if they were terrific singers, learned fquickly and could really sing rings around some of the other female groups at Motown. And so what if producers chose to use them instead of waiting on Mary, Flo or Cindy.

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I say God Bless the Andantes. They were some of the best female vocalists at Motown. Whoever thinks they were bland or colorless has been listening to way too much Donny & arie, THE artridge family and Vicki Carr. The Andantes were some bad sisters in Studio a. land my ass! bviously you've never heard the ndantes sing behind Ssammy ward or amos Milburn, where they laid down pure Detroit Ggspel soul. So what if they were terrific singers, learned fast and could really sing rings around some of the other female groups at Motown. And so what if producers chose to use them instead of wait on Mary, Flo or Cindy.

PREACH! Totally agree with your statement!

randy_russi
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes, but so is Phil Spector and he created the greatest rock & roll Christmas album of all! Actually, I do like some of
the Supremes' lp, but some of it I can't stand--Joy To The World is terrible! I do like Little Bright Star, Born Of Mary,
but not Rudolph or Santa Is Coming. But, then, that's my opinion!

jobeterob
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Pretty hard to argue that Louvain didn't have a strong voice; the shriek/yell that she lets out to start Love Child was pretty unique and in the Patti Labelle vein.

But the Andantes are inevitably caught in the war and perceived by a weak minded few to have somehow taken the side of Berry and Diana in the Supremes war and somehow slighted Mary and Florence and Cindy.

And yet one of them might have been best friends with Mary or Flo or Cindy and didn't even know Diana.

Motown Mythology it's called.

randy_russi
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes and so is Phil Spector who produced the greatest rock & roll Christmas album of all, in my opinion.

randy_russi
12-08-2010, 02:01 PM
OK I don't know what's up with my posting or my computer--didn't mean to say that twice!!!

olamaebarto
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm actually very, very regular. But thanks for your concern over my digestive system. Perhaps you should just mind your own business.

Well dear, I suggest you take our own advise since you're the one that pull that stick out of your ass and stuck into the conversation with your twunty reply to my post.

olamaebarto
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Aah, No dear. I got the post and apparently you didn't see the irony OR humor in my post. Try and keep up if you can. ;)

You call THAT humor? My cat coughs up better.

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Well dear, I suggest you take our own advise since you're the one that pull that stick out of your ass and stuck into the conversation with your twunty reply to my post.

If you can't take the heat, then get off the board.

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 04:57 PM
You call THAT humor? My cat coughs up better.

Oh, you have a cat...that explains volumes....

iconicpuff
12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Actually my first thought was that they were playing one of my least favorite songs from that album. My second thought was "Do I really need these shoes?" :-)
LOL! You can NEVER have too many shoes!

olamaebarto
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Oooooo how orginal.

olamaebarto
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Oh, you have a cat...that explains volumes....

Oh and yet another zinger. Were these from your old act on vaudeville?

jobeterob
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNilVGP5W28

smark21
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
jill - i agree. i don't think the andantes were necessarily gorgeous vocalist. to be honest, i had no idea for the longest time that it was them doing the "ahhs" in the intro Love Is Here. to be honest, i didn't even know those were vocals. i thought it was some odd synthesizer sound, similar to Reflections!! there are times when they really do sound good. and man, the soprano sure hits that high "ahhh" in love child. no offense to Cindy or Mary, but neither had that vocal power. but most of their vocals are just colorless and blah, especially when motown would mix them low and into the backing track.

to compare - listen to the wonderful vocals of MJC in the backgrounds for Up The Ladder

The Andantes sing very well, they were very professional session singers. And part of being a session singer is being able to hit the notes, learn the parts fast, and not get in the way. As a result, they could be quite bland in terms of personality. Other than a superlative performanc on Love Child, the most distinct impression they made when subbing for the real Supremes, or the real Vandellas, or the real Marvelettes was at time sounding like Mr. Bill, especially on Forever Came Today.

smark21
12-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Oh, are you now a moderator around here? Is a qualification for membership to be like you, a glassy eyed, non blinking, humorless and very defensive fan of Diana Ross?

jobeterob
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
We'll take anybody here; I've heard we have guys posting from prison and guys "on the dole" living off assistance; humourless is nothing. Rossfan is nearly prerequisite; alternatively Rosshater.

luke
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Well said Stephanie!

iconicpuff
12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I say God Bless the Andantes. They were some of the best female vocalists at Motown. Whoever thinks they were bland or colorless has apparently been listening to way too much Donny & Marie, the Partridge Family and Vicki Carr.
The Andantes were some bad sisters in Studio A.
Bland my ass!
Obviously you've never heard the Andantes sing behind Sammy ward or amos Milburn, where they laid down pure Detroit Gospel soul. So what if they were terrific singers, learned fquickly and could really sing rings around some of the other female groups at Motown. And so what if producers chose to use them instead of waiting on Mary, Flo or Cindy.

Those Damndantes were soooooooo great that when they finally did get to sing their own single.........they did backpart vocals for Ann Bogan!
Wow! Yet another backpart session for the fabaluuuuus group! I only ever listen to Tammi Terrell songs now cos I know they never sang on them!

captainjames
12-09-2010, 07:30 PM
The Andantes were some soulful singing sisters and anyone who has really heard them would know that. Merry Christmas is an outstanding piece of work and "we" loved and cherished it at one time or another. Mary and Flo knew they were not on all the tracks and it didn't matter then and it shouldn't really matter now. Diana and Mary still recieve royalties from this album/cd so I am sure they don't care one way or another. They were used on more background sounds besides The Supremes and it is another brain child of Mr. Gordy's of creating that Motown Sound.

robbert
12-09-2010, 08:04 PM
I can tell most posters in this thread are blessed with the season's peaceful feeling... :mad:

smark21
12-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I can tell most posters in this thread are blessed with the season's peaceful feeling... :mad:

In certain social circles, Supremes music can provoke more hatred and violence than gangsta rap or death metal. I fear if the Supremes Christmas album is played on Xmas Eve or Christmas morning when presents are being opened that a lot of people will do a Dawn Davenport to their families' christmas trees and parents, even if they do get a pair of cha cha heels as their present.

smark21
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
The Andantes were some soulful singing sisters and anyone who has really heard them would know that. Merry Christmas is an outstanding piece of work and "we" loved and cherished it at one time or another. Mary and Flo knew they were not on all the tracks and it didn't matter then and it shouldn't really matter now. Diana and Mary still recieve royalties from this album/cd so I am sure they don't care one way or another. They were used on more background sounds besides The Supremes and it is another brain child of Mr. Gordy's of creating that Motown Sound.

When the Christmas album was re-released on CD a few years back, the booklet included some comments by Mary Wilson. If I recall Mary focussed mostly how she, Florence and Diana decided what dresses to wear for the album cover shoot and the memories the album brings when she hears a song while out shopping for presents.

olamaebarto
12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
In certain social circles, Supremes music can provoke more hatred and violence than gangsta rap or death metal. I fear if the Supremes Christmas album is played on Xmas Eve or Christmas morning when presents are being opened that a lot of people will do a Dawn Davenport to their families' christmas trees and parents, even if they do get a pair of cha cha heels as their present.

I've come see that these so called "fans" probably were the snotty girls in school.

ralpht
12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I see that this thread is going the way of Supreme threads. Smooth out gang, or I'll have to zap the thread.

jobeterob
12-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Probably the Christmas song they are best known for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDoqoQFYCw

robbert
12-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Ralph, Aaaaaaamen!

smark21
12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Probably the Christmas song they are best known for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDoqoQFYCw

But My Favorite Things isn't a Christmas song, per se. It's a show tune.

skooldem1
12-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I think that their most popular holiday songs are "My favorite things" and "Silver Bells".

jillfoster
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Pretty hard to argue that Louvain didn't have a strong voice; the shriek/yell that she lets out to start Love Child was pretty unique and in the Patti Labelle vein.

But the Andantes are inevitably caught in the war and perceived by a weak minded few to have somehow taken the side of Berry and Diana in the Supremes war and somehow slighted Mary and Florence and Cindy.

And yet one of them might have been best friends with Mary or Flo or Cindy and didn't even know Diana.

Motown Mythology it's called.

Rob... Louvain is not a BAD singer, she's mediocre with MOMENTS of greatness. In the right song, when she's singing at the top of her range, she's good. But unlike some people like to think, Motown's records were not hits BECAUSE of the Andantes, they were hits in spite of them. But like I said... there were exceptions, "Love Child", and "Bernadette" being the two obvious examples. But delicious mashed potatoes next to a tough, shoe-leather steak does not a good meal make. And why did some producers like to use them? Because they could knock the work out quickly, and then said producers could wrap it up and go home to their families. I go back to the simple fact that NOBODY in the music business was grappling to use them after 1972. Theyv'e never won critical acclaim for their sound in the background like others, such as Cissy Houston, Sunny and Sue, or the fabulous performances of Doris Troy on Dark Side Of The Moon.

marv2
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Rob... Louvain is not a BAD singer, she's mediocre with MOMENTS of greatness. In the right song, when she's singing at the top of her range, she's good. But unlike some people like to think, Motown's records were not hits BECAUSE of the Andantes, they were hits in spite of them. But like I said... there were exceptions, "Love Child", and "Bernadette" being the two obvious examples. But delicious mashed potatoes next to a tough, shoe-leather steak does not a good meal make. And why did some producers like to use them? Because they could knock the work out quickly, and then said producers could wrap it up and go home to their families. I go back to the simple fact that NOBODY in the music business was grappling to use them after 1972. Theyv'e never won critical acclaim for their sound in the background like others, such as Cissy Houston, Sunny and Sue, or the fabulous performances of Doris Troy on Dark Side Of The Moon.

I laugh all the time when people make this big-assed deal about the Andantes and what records they may or may not have been on when I know that Florence, Mary and Diane were used as backup on other artists records such as "Can I Get A Witness", "Wonderful One" ,etc by Marvin Gaye. "Mickey's Monkey" by Smokey & the Miracles, several Mary Wells recordings and on and on. LOL! Why did they use the Supremes? Because they were good and they were AVAILABLE.......... !

uptight
12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
OMG, you mean they didn't use the real Andantes on those MG tracks?!!! It's the Vandellas and those darned Supremes? Gasp! I'll bet the Andantes were upset about this. [[Just kidding).

marv2
12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
OMG, you mean they didn't use the real Andantes on those MG tracks?!!! It's the Vandellas and those darned Supremes? Gasp! I'll bet the Andantes were upset about this. [[Just kidding).

Sho nuff! You betta know it! LOL!!

luke
12-12-2010, 11:17 PM
You mean those Mary and Flo girls are on records? Wow and I heard they sang on Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett and Mable John records-and that gal Diana too. Goodness gracious I guess those Andantes were too busy!

marv2
12-12-2010, 11:51 PM
You mean those Mary and Flo girls are on records? Wow and I heard they sang on Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett and Mable John records-and that gal Diana too. Goodness gracious I guess those Andantes were too busy!

Add John Lee Hooker and yep even the Temptations' "Not Now I'll Tell You Later". Heck, Florence is heard VERY prominently on "Can I Get A Witness" that DJ's use to comment on that fact.

jillfoster
12-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I laugh all the time when people make this big-assed deal about the Andantes and what records they may or may not have been on when I know that Florence, Mary and Diane were used as backup on other artists records such as "Can I Get A Witness", "Wonderful One" ,etc by Marvin Gaye. "Mickey's Monkey" by Smokey & the Miracles, several Mary Wells recordings and on and on. LOL! Why did they use the Supremes? Because they were good and they were AVAILABLE.......... !

So true. That's one thing that made the Supremes so big, they had no weak links in their chain, vocally. But you look at who people like Dusty chose to sing background on HER records.. Kiki Dee, Madeline Bell, Lesley Duncan, Maggie Stredder.. people who could inject real soul and inspiration into a song. I cited Doris Troy earlier, just listen to her at around 2:46, and that is what I call REAL background singing [[Lesley Duncan was singing with her here, as well)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgxfxchkQ

But in the end.... what makes a hit record? It's all about the HOOK, baby... it's ALL ABOUT THE HOOK.

luke
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Now Marv dont go all crazy now--why would all those people want those Supremes on their records singing distinctive, superb harmony back there--and how come Miss Mary and Miss Flo were so available when we know that they and that Miss Cindy were always so busy they never wanted to come to recording sessions???

marv2
12-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Now Marv dont go all crazy now--why would all those people want those Supremes on their records singing distinctive, superb harmony back there--and how come Miss Mary and Miss Flo were so available when we know that they and that Miss Cindy were always so busy they never wanted to come to recording sessions???

Mary and Florence were singers, professionals. They were on all the important records. Just listen to
this and tell me it would have been the same without them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLjrKKqMS1s

marv2
12-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Not to worry because I know the deal. They were wanted because they were GOOD! Holland, Dozier and Holland knew it and so did all the Funk Brothers, Berry Gordy and the listening public!

luke
12-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Well my my Marv I think you are onto something! Maybe they were even better that those And antes!!

marv2
12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Well my my Marv I think you are onto something! Maybe they were even better that those And antes!!

In the immortal words of Ms. Jean Terrell..........."The WHO?!" LOL!!!!

marv2
12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
For all you Andantes fans out there. I am just kidding. I know who they were.

topdiva1
12-14-2010, 01:21 AM
oh god now the Spinners were on the Christmas album with the Andantes! Flo and Mary were not enough they could have doubletracked them! Flos voice was in fine form at this time she didnt go down to a contralto like she did in the 70s and we have all heard O Holy Night and Silent Night.. Surely Mary and Flo didnt need the Andantes and if they did why the Spinners?

Thank you kindly - I believe Flo and Mary recorded this album and may have had a little "help", but why does that matter now. Just enjoy a great seasonal album from yesteryear,

smark21
12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you kindly - I believe Flo and Mary recorded this album and may have had a little "help", but why does that matter now. Just enjoy a great seasonal album from yesteryear,

Welcome back, how did you do on your final exams?

topdiva1
12-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome back, how did you do on your final exams?

Thanks for asking - I did pretty well - Have a Happy Holiday.

jobeterob
12-20-2010, 01:57 AM
You are going to school now, Tony?

Also, a friend asked me if it is possible in the Children's Christmas Song that Berry,Joy, Terry and Chico are also played by the Andantes!

He's more of a lurker than a poster and thought the suggestion would send someone or other into a fit or convulsions.

topdiva1
12-20-2010, 11:28 PM
The Supremes Christmas album remains a classic - REGARDLESS.

Penny
12-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Who are the andantes?

jobeterob
12-21-2010, 03:07 AM
Background singers on contract to Motown. They sang as Supremes behind Diana Ross, as Vandellas behind Martha Reeves and as Marvelettes. They sang on most of the Christmas album behind Diana Ross. The did alot of backgrounds for the Four Tops.

uptight
12-21-2010, 07:03 AM
You are going to school now, Tony?

Also, a friend asked me if it is possible in the Children's Christmas Song that Berry,Joy, Terry and Chico are also played by the Andantes!

He's more of a lurker than a poster and thought the suggestion would send someone or other into a fit or convulsions.

Funny your friend would ask this, Rob. I have always wondered if the "children" were played by The Andantes. They sound like adults pretending to be children, but I wouldn't know what BG's oldest children or Ross' brother sounded like as singers. I would say, yes, it is possible that the Andantes could have even filled in for the children on this record. LOL

Penny
12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Background singers on contract to Motown. They sang as Supremes behind Diana Ross, as Vandellas behind Martha Reeves and as Marvelettes. They sang on most of the Christmas album behind Diana Ross. The did alot of backgrounds for the Four Tops.

Thank you jobeterob. I remember hearing about them now. I had just forgotten. You have been very kind to me here and I appreciate it very much.

jobeterob
12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
That's nice of you to say. Most people are pretty good natured generally but it is an open forum and sometimes we can be a little rowdy; but we are usually good people with much knowledge. I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

smark21
12-21-2010, 09:52 PM
The Andantes impersonated more people than Rich Little ever did.

topdiva1
12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
The Supremes Christmas album - regardless of who is or is not on background - is a GREAT seasonal offering from a once legendary company.

I am sure the album is enjoyed buy thousands at this time of the year, without the tiresome critics views, on unimportant information.

Gordy, was no fool, and a master of deception, selling us product year after year - and keeping us blind to the real performers. I say just enjoy the music and the genius.

Kamasu_Jr
12-24-2010, 09:13 AM
[

I've deliberately avoided The Supremes' Christmas album this year. Still, I've heard a few songs on the radio and my station plays one or two
tracks. And thankfully- for me- this will end on Sunday.