PDA

View Full Version : Has Diana lost interest?

test

thaperson
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Carrerwise? The new tour was great, it was a breath fresh air and a change of pace from her usual concert routine. But aside from that, there really hasn't been much in recent years.

Seeing the success that Streisand and now Cher are having on the big screen, I often wonder why Diana isn't up there with them. She has to still be getting offers. Tyler Perry has been trying to get her to do one of his films for a while. Any film she does could be billed as "In her first big screen acting role in over thirty years". It would be an event.

And I say this as a fan, because there have been quite a few times in recent years where she's had the momentum, but it has never led to a huge comeback. And she deserves that.

I really think she' s lost interest and heart in a lot of things, and really doesn't care anymore. A shame, because she is a multifaceted entertainer.

jillfoster
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
It's because the public has lost intrest in her. She hasn't had a hit record in 25 years, the biggest thing she's done was double platinum, which was actually pretty good. But let's face it, she's not CHER. Ok? I mean, there are Divas, and then there's Cher. And Streisand is right up there with her. Meet The Fockers made so much money theyr'e still counting it.

smark21
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Carrerwise? The new tour was great, it was a breath fresh air and a change of pace from her usual concert routine. But aside from that, there really hasn't been much in recent years.

Seeing the success that Streisand and now Cher are having on the big screen, I often wonder why Diana isn't up there with them. She has to still be getting offers. Tyler Perry has been trying to get her to do one of his films for a while. Any film she does could be billed as "In her first big screen acting role in over thirty years". It would be an event.

And I say this as a fan, because there have been quite a few times in recent years where she's had the momentum, but it has never led to a huge comeback. And she deserves that.

I really think she' s lost interest and heart in a lot of things, and really doesn't care anymore. A shame, because she is a multifaceted entertainer.

Perhaps she's just no longer career driven? She's made plenty of money, overcame some personal problems from the late 90's/early 00's, and is perhaps content to perform live every so often and otherwise just enjoy life and her family.

sup_fan
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
and don't forget she's very active with her family. 3 girls in their 30s and 2 sons in their 20s. plus now a grandchild. not that she's her kids' manager but she's always been an involved and loving mom. so she's probably enjoying being with her family and participating in their lives now.

i do sorta chuckle at Jill's comment. I'll admit that Cher is more visible today. but she's hardly had a career as large as Diana's. not knocking cher - lots of fun and a great entertainer. but if you look at diana's total career including the Supremes, she's had far more impact.

jillfoster
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
and don't forget she's very active with her family. 3 girls in their 30s and 2 sons in their 20s. plus now a grandchild. not that she's her kids' manager but she's always been an involved and loving mom. so she's probably enjoying being with her family and participating in their lives now.

i do sorta chuckle at Jill's comment. I'll admit that Cher is more visible today. but she's hardly had a career as large as Diana's. not knocking cher - lots of fun and a great entertainer. but if you look at diana's total career including the Supremes, she's had far more impact.

Oh, give me a break. Diana HAD an impact, but Cher always has nad continues to do so. and of course, Cher WON the oscar.

midnightman
12-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Family is what happened. Remember? She's a GRANDMOTHER now.

sup_fan
12-02-2010, 12:33 AM
doesn't diana have something like 55 or so studio lps? and yes, there are quite a few that are just sorta filler. but all through the 90s she was very hot in UK and japan. 18 #1's on the billboard chart. who knows if you add in the dance charts and r&b stuff. plus Di's reported to have sold over 150 millions records [[including her Sup work). 40+ top 10 records [[counting UK and US charts)

i will give cher definite create for being more public in her recent career. and also having a far more down-to-earth outlook on her legacy and career. i love that she camped it up in Will & Grace in those few episodes. diana would never have done that. and so i do agree that Cher has made herself more relevant to the gay community today.

randy_russi
12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
There just aren't the roles for her to do movies unless she has them created for her. That's why her acting career
never continued. The scripts aren't there for a character she can play. She actually created or should I say had
the Double Platinum project created.

copley
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Diana Ross is 66. In the US she has not had a top 50 singles hit since 1984 & in the UK since 1999. She has an amazing legacy both with the Supremes and as a solo artist. However Diana is no longer relevant to the majority of today's young music buyers and that's to be expected. What has always been disappointing is her detachment from anything to do with her back catalogue at Motown. It's like she has turned her back on it which I think is insulting to her fans. Not once did she appear on any of the many Motown 50 tribute programs that I watched or listened to. None of the wonderful Hip-O releases contain any contribution from her. Perhaps she thinks that she is too grand to lower herself to be interviewed. I do still admire how she got to the top through hard work and determination but she would never have done it without the fans. As the song says 'superstar don't forget who put you where you are'. So in answer to the question, with the exception of live performances, I think that she lost interest in her career a long time ago. The second Queen of Motown abdicated years ago.

jillfoster
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
There just aren't the roles for her to do movies unless she has them created for her. That's why her acting career
never continued. The scripts aren't there for a character she can play. She actually created or should I say had
the Double Platinum project created.

There have been plenty of roles since Mahogany, she just refuses to take them. She was offered Whitney's part in "the Bodyguard", she was offered one of the leads in "Witches Of Eastwick", she could have had a role in ANY of Tyler Perry's movies, all she would have had to do was ask. Angela Bassett, Alfre Woddard, Vanessa Williams, Jennifer Lewis, Lynn Whitfield, Cicely Tyson all seem to get work. She could have tried for the lead in "How Stella Got her Groove Back", or any of a number of films. she would have worked well in "First Wives club".

marybrewster
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think Diana has lost interest, I think she at a point where nothing is challenging anymore. She's a singer, songwriter, producer, fashion designer and fashionista, award winning actress, award winning performer, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, mother, grandmother.....she's done it all, what's left?

The woman is 66 years young. Most "seniors" her age are well into retirement, yet she's still out there; her latest concert has had excellent reviews and has been extended until at least March of 2011. Her last two albums [["Blue" and "I Love You") both charted on the Billboard charts. She's had high profile engagements in recent years; I could go on and on.

She's made a name for herself, made her millions, and is at a point where she can do what she wants, when she wants. We should all be so lucky.

RossHolloway
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Diana Ross is an ICON. Love her or hate her, Diana Ross is an ICON. She doesn't have to make or sell another record, her status is cemented in musical history as one of the most popular and best selling female artist in world music history. Diana Ross has been making music for over 50 years and while she may no longer be a factor on the musicical charts, she still commands respect and attention, and can sell out concerts around the world, why else would this thread be started or the comments made? And is Diana's current musical status/relevancy any more different than Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Barbara Streisands, Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney's? All those artists are icon's as well, and none have probably had a top 10 single hit is 20+ years, yet they all still command attention and respect, just like DIANA ROSS.

randy_russi
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, then, I guess she just doesn't care and didn't care about being a movie star.

marv2
12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think Diana has lost interest, I think she at a point where nothing is challenging anymore. She's a singer, songwriter, producer, fashion designer and fashionista, award winning actress, award winning performer, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, mother, grandmother.....she's done it all, what's left?

The woman is 66 years young. Most "seniors" her age are well into retirement, yet she's still out there; her latest concert has had excellent reviews and has been extended until at least March of 2011. Her last two albums [["Blue" and "I Love You") both charted on the Billboard charts. She's had high profile engagements in recent years; I could go on and on.

She's made a name for herself, made her millions, and is at a point where she can do what she wants, when she wants. We should all be so lucky.

She can go on "Dancing With the Stars" as a contestant.....................

jillfoster
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
She can go on "Dancing With the Stars" as a contestant.....................

That would be FASCINATING, wouldn't it? I think she'd be good. She would never do it, because that mean opening youself up to being criticized by judges on national TV. But perhaps she realizes her appeal would wane if viewers saw her every week. That's how Cher could be in a top rated TV show every week for 7 years, she's someone the public never gets tired of.

skooldem1
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Its so funny to see some people still pushing forth that ole tired notion that Diana hasn't had a "hit" record in 25 years. LoL. Is a person who is almost 70 years old really expected to have a hit record? They just like to ignore the fact that as mentioned she has had 2 albums on the billboard charts in recent years. Not to mention the duet with Rod Stewart. Music is Diana's first love. Although she excelled at acting, she does not appear eager to do another film. She mentioned a couple of years ago that she didn't think she would do any more movies. At this point in her career, she has achieved the highest honor an artist can get..The Kennedy Center Honor. She is happy doing shows here and there when she wants, and if she can get a new CD out, that would be enough to make her happy. That's what really matters.

jillfoster
12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
And is Diana's current musical status/relevancy any more different than Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Barbara Streisands, Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney's? All those artists are icon's as well, and none have probably had a top 10 single hit is 20+ years, yet they all still command attention and respect, just like DIANA ROSS.

The difference is, with the exception of Smokey... all those people you mentioned can fill a 15,000-20,000 seat ARENA. Diana Ross plays mid size venues, all less than 6,000-7,000 seats. She even has been playing some of the same vanues Mary Wilson has played. And there's NOTHING wrong with that, except that Mary Wilson playing a 3,000-5,000 seat theater is an ACCOMPLISHMENT, while for Diana Ross, it's a step down.

jillfoster
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Its so funny to see some people still pushing forth that ole tired notion that Diana hasn't had a "hit" record in 25 years. LoL. Is a person who is almost 70 years old really expected to have a hit record? They just like to ignore the fact that as mentioned she has had 2 albums on the billboard charts in recent years.

Cher, Lulu, Streisand, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Tony Bennett, Bette Midler have all had top ten records in the last ten years. Diana's album "bubbling under the top forty" action doean't really count as a hit record.

skooldem1
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Getting back to the original question, I think Diana has lost interest. She is happy to make an appearance here and there.

marybrewster
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
The difference is, with the exception of Smokey... all those people you mentioned can fill a 15,000-20,000 seat ARENA. Diana Ross plays mid size venues, all less than 6,000-7,000 seats. She even has been playing some of the same vanues Mary Wilson has played. And there's NOTHING wrong with that, except that Mary Wilson playing a 3,000-5,000 seat theater is an ACCOMPLISHMENT, while for Diana Ross, it's a step down.

I believe Diana hit #2 on the Billboard charts with "Blue".

Just puttin' it out there.

randy_russi
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, with this tour she isn't appearing here and there, she's all over. People who love to perform never stop. My
brothers were recently in Nashville and saw Little Jimmy Dickens. He's 89! and still performing.

rovereab
12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I fail to see that an artist who has just undertaken the large scale tour has lost interest. Diana hardly needs the money so I envisage she has worked this hard for her fans.

RossHolloway
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Jill Dear, no matter how much you protest and hate that it is so. Diana Ross is an accomplished singer and entertainer. I find it ironic how much you hate [[and protest that you don't) yet you are always up in every thread that mentions her very name. Everyone knows that if Diana Ross wanted to play Madison Square Garden or the Staples Center that she could and she could sell it out. And if Diana Ross is such the "has-been" then why are you in this thread talking about her?

midnightman
12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
So a nearly 70-year-old woman has to fight her way back to a public that rather listen to iPods and Lady Gaga? LOL

Really now? No one was telling Stevie [[who is 60) to compete with Kanye. No one is telling Smokey [[70) to compete with John Legend. The Temptations barely get mentioned as a group that needs to stop all the Boyz II Mens [[and that group is now in the same category of the Tempts that they don't really have to compete with the younger generation).

Michael Jackson had a chance because he was still chasing the top [[and because his albums sold more than any Motown act to date after he left them).

Diana is one of those performers that'll keep on performing on the stage until she can't anymore. F**k the media and the public for "losing interest".

Diana ain't 40 years old anymore, we know that.

Only reason why Cher gets more praise nowadays is because she basically reappears in every 10 years. LOL She's the queen of reinvention so she can get away with it I guess. Diana don't need to compete with her or Barbra.

And yes, "Blue" hit #2 on Billboard's jazz albums chart.

randy_russi
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Some of the arenas or venues she plays only seat a couple thousand people. However, the tickets are over $100 each
for most of the seats so there's still good money coming in. When she did fill those 8-10 thousand seat venues back in the
70s & 80s, tickets were no where near the price they are now.
I don't see anything as a step down. She IS an older performer. Most of the people who have been
attending the shows on this current tour are in the 50+ age range. And so many people in the 50+ age group no
longer go out at night.

RossHolloway
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Some of the arenas or venues she plays only seat a couple thousand people. However, the tickets are over $100 each
for most of the seats so there's still good money coming in. When she did fill those 8-10 thousand seat venues back in the
70s & 80s, tickets were no where near the price they are now.
I don't see anything as a step down. She IS an older performer. Most of the people who have been
attending the shows on this current tour are in the 50+ age range. And so many people in the 50+ age group no
longer go out at night.

Well when I saw Diana Ross in concert this past summer here in Atlanta, she still attracted a very diverse crowd- across all spectrums. Even celebrites were at her concert- Diana Ross is far from over! And the venue that she was at is a very popular venue that host all sorts of acts from the hot newer ones, to the older and more established acts.

midnightman
12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
^ I read reviews where people younger than 30, 40 and 50 made it to her concerts to see her so yeah that's accurate, Ross.

jonc
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Jill Dear, no matter how much you protest and hate that it is so. Diana Ross is an accomplished singer and entertainer. I find it ironic how much you hate [[and protest that you don't) yet you are always up in every thread that mentions her very name. Everyone knows that if Diana Ross wanted to play Madison Square Garden or the Staples Center that she could and she could sell it out. And if Diana Ross is such the "has-been" then why are you in this thread talking about her?

OBSESSIVELY talking about her I might add.

Mr. Foster has a love/hate with Miss Ross. He professes to have absolutely zero respect for Diana Ross as an artist or a person but chimes in repeatedly, especially if he can bash her.

If you have more money that you'll ever need and you legacy is solidly intact why the hell should you care about movies or hit records when you are close to 70 years old?

randy_russi
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I saw her in Melbourne, FL on Nov. 19th and it was a 50+ crowd. Reviews from other Florida performances have even
mentioned the 50+ crowd. That doesn't mean that younger people don't like and enjoy her music because we all
know they do. All the venues here in Florida are diverse as well. They have performances by many different types
of entertainers from every spectrum.
A city like Atlanta would attract a larger audience. Her appearance in south Florida [[Hollywood) was at a 5,000+
venue because that is such a populous area drawing from all over south Florida including Miami.

captainjames
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I think Diana is just returning to her first love and that is singing. She has had offers to act or play different parts in movies but being on stage singing is what she enjoy. She promised back in 2000 or somewhere around there that she would reconnect with us again and she is doing that.

On a high note it is giving all those folks that are involved in her show to remain employeed and that is a good thing.

Also, Diana is one of the few artists that I know who attracts all ages still but as I have said many times before; Diana is an entertainer not just a singer.

thaperson
12-02-2010, 07:33 PM
That would be FASCINATING, wouldn't it? I think she'd be good. She would never do it, because that mean opening youself up to being criticized by judges on national TV. But perhaps she realizes her appeal would wane if viewers saw her every week. That's how Cher could be in a top rated TV show every week for 7 years, she's someone the public never gets tired of.

What show was Cher in for seven years? "Sonny and Cher" was a big hit, but "Cher" flopped in its second year. Then she did the second "Sonny and Cher" which was a bomb.

Futhermore, I don't get how the public has allegedly lost interest. She is still selling out theaters in the US some twenty five years AFTER the last hit. That's very damn impressive.

stephanie
12-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Cher, Bette Midler, and Tina Turner and others dont have the reputation that Ross has within Hollywood. The public admires Diana but behind the scenes [[not recently) she was deemed as being difficult and I wonder if that is why people put her down so much. Flo Ballard, Mary Wilsons book and Dreamgirl didnt help. Diana ross in the past [[not so much now) seemed aloof from her fans and I wonder if that is why some dont like her. Say what you want about her she has had a massive career and its funny Smokey, Berry, HDH have nothing but good things to say about her. She was a great mom according to her children, and producers seem to like her, its only the fans and people who have worked with her that seem to have a beef. Some of the stories are overblown of course but I have heard that most in Detroit hate her. Seems they say she never comes back there. I think she is a great entertainer and has just maxed out and doesnt need to prove anything.

captainjames
12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I have heard that statement about Detroit but she had a helluva crowd when she was there and I am not sure a lot of that is not just some decentralized fluff. Mary and Diana return to Detroit when they can and as time permits. I agree some of the stuff is overblown a bit. Diana is not perfect ---------but then I don't know any artist who is.

daddyacey
12-03-2010, 03:13 AM
You know I was thinking as I read this thread , that like with parents ,a part of them still see their children at times ,as they were when they were young kids ,no matter how old or mature they become. The same with children ,which as we all were at one time , "would never get old like our parents" ,face getting older ourselves ,[[and at some point getting to be the same age we said we would never get like our parents) and on top of that, witness our parents getting even older.
I think the same thing applies to the fans. They see Cher and Tina and Diana as they were in their prime ,and rightfully they should feel that way because these ladies GAVE IT!!! ,big time and worked hard to do so.
But a nice 60 year old body and voice is just that. Still respectable and to be admired ,for what it was and is. Nothing is forever and even Beyonce ,J LO ,Aguliera and the other current "Divas" ,will be nice 60 yr old bodys someday too.
There nothing wrong with fading out gracefully ,so why should they be compelled or expected to compete with or put up against the younger upcomers ,when they are in fact the standard of measure for success?
I would think that that kind of pressure , "to keep up" , would be intense. A lot has to be admired for those who move on with the times with success ,but some like Phyllis just as one example of many talented women ,found the pressure to be too much to deal with.
Miss Ross could do nothing from this point on and people will still listen to and buy her music ,talk good and bad about her ,now and after she has passed on. May be she don't give a ...... ,no more. But you can't fault the fact that she has earned that right to feel that way and to claim the rest of her life for herself and her family ....If that's what she has opted to do.

randy_russi
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Perhaps this tour is a stepping stone to something big--maybe another TV special. She hasn't done one in years.

smark21
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I believe Diana hit #2 on the Billboard charts with "Blue".

Just puttin' it out there.

#2 on the Jazz Chart, not the main album charts. DK where "Blue" placed on it. I'm sure someone here might know.

smark21
12-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Well lots of other artists who haven't performed in decades are discussed here. Diana Ross is a legacy artist, a top drawer legacy artist, but a legacy artist. Her hitmaking days are long behind her, but she has a great song catalogue to draw upon for her shows. And while her voice has eroded, she has enough artistry in her phrasing that if she chooses to do another album, the potential exists for it to be good with the right material and arrangers.

Not sure if Ross could sell out MSG or Staples. Frankly she's not an arena type performer, her type of performance style works best in a somewhat smaller venue.

randy_russi
12-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I hate to see a performer or should I say musical act perform in a big arena that's really meant for sports events.
The recent theatre I saw Diana perform in [[King Center in Melbourne, FL) is a perfect venue. The sound is
great and so is the view; with only 2,016 seats. When I've seen performers in big arenas, if I am not close
to the stage, I feel I am watching a performance take place, but I am not really there.
I would much rather pay $100 to see a performer in a 2,000 seat theatre than pay $50 in a big 8-10 thousand
seat venue.

dplain
12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Diana Ross is 66. In the US she has not had a top 50 singles hit since 1984 & in the UK since 1999. She has an amazing legacy both with the Supremes and as a solo artist. However Diana is no longer relevant to the majority of today's young music buyers and that's to be expected. What has always been disappointing is her detachment from anything to do with her back catalogue at Motown. It's like she has turned her back on it which I think is insulting to her fans. Not once did she appear on any of the many Motown 50 tribute programs that I watched or listened to. None of the wonderful Hip-O releases contain any contribution from her. Perhaps she thinks that she is too grand to lower herself to be interviewed. I do still admire how she got to the top through hard work and determination but she would never have done it without the fans. As the song says 'superstar don't forget who put you where you are'. So in answer to the question, with the exception of live performances, I think that she lost interest in her career a long time ago. The second Queen of Motown abdicated years ago.

Perhaps Diana Ross has a life outside of entertaining us for the rest of her life

jobeterob
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't think she has lost any interest at all. She is doing what she does best; she is the Ultimate Entertainer. Her peers are less active than her for the most part. She does far more touring than many. The careers of all of the heritage artists, in terms of the charts, pretty much went into a stall in the 1980s. If you read the Stevie Wonder, you will notice he hasn't done all that much since the 1980's either. They got "old".

I read an interview where Diana said she likely won't do another movie because they consume all of your time; she doesn't need the money; she wants to play Grandmommy as she calls it.

I don't see any TV Specials coming from any of these people; they are not "mainstream" enough anymore to be able to land such a special.

In terms of involvement, if it is anything Supreme, Diana has left it to Mary and she will leave it to Mary in the future.

The legacy is great and she is resting on it ~ both the Supremes and the Diana Ross legacy. I don't see much else happening.

The only negative I see in all of this is that somehow, Diana and Mary damaged the Supremes legacy in the Return to Love spat; I'm sure they didn't intend to and maybe it was the people around them and the promoters that caused most of it; but the damage was done. I've read interviews where it was said that nobody was hurt more than Mary; but I think you could say that of Diana. Their "draw", their "bankability" was significantly damaged because of it. And I'm sure it also affected the FLOS. Their bookings all significantly declined after the row. I believe Diana is still rebuilding that to this day and I bet if they all had it to do over again, as Cindy Birdsong says "I wanted to do it".

marv2
12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Mary Wilson's bookings did not suffer after the Return to Love tour. In fact, her bookings increased substantially. What you read, you may have misinterpreted. When they said Mary was hurt most, it meant that her feelings may have been hurt because "The Supremes" are very near and dear to her. Her pocket book was not hurt one bit, it got fatter, healthier in the aftermath. That in and of itself provided some consolation to Miss Wilson! LOL!

luke
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
And Mary never said I told you so! Class!

jillfoster
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
OBSESSIVELY talking about her I might add.

Mr. Foster has a love/hate with Miss Ross. He professes to have absolutely zero respect for Diana Ross as an artist or a person but chimes in repeatedly, especially if he can bash her.

If you have more money that you'll ever need and you legacy is solidly intact why the hell should you care about movies or hit records when you are close to 70 years old?

Obsessive? how nice to hear that coming from Marv's stalker. True, I have zero respect for her. So? If you like to idolize drunken sluts with bad attitude, then go right ahead. It's her FANS have much more problem with her slowing down than she does. If I were her... i'd be resting on my laurels, too, to tell you the truth. and Randy... I agree about smaller venues, I personally HATE an arena show. although it is a barometer of how big you are. My favorite venues are the 3,000-5,000 seat theaters.

marv2
12-03-2010, 10:49 PM
And Mary never said I told you so! Class!

Exactly! She was always classy and very professional. Now Time Magazine, now that's a different story. LOL!

captainjames
12-03-2010, 11:03 PM
There was absolutely NOTHING classy about what was done from either lady during this time. The stuff that was aired to the press was trashy not classy. The sad thing that happen is fans realized and saw just how much they didn't love each other. However, afterwards when Diana raised her BET award and thanked all the Supremes and then a special thanks to Mary Wislon was definitely Miss Ross taking the high road.

marv2
12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Obsessive? how nice to hear that coming from Marv's stalker. True, I have zero respect for her. So? If you like to idolize drunken sluts with bad attitude, then go right ahead. It's her FANS have much more problem with her slowing down than she does. If I were her... i'd be resting on my laurels, too, to tell you the truth. and Randy... I agree about smaller venues, I personally HATE an arena show. although it is a barometer of how big you are. My favorite venues are the 3,000-5,000 seat theaters.

WOW, you mean you've noticed too?

WOW!!!!

thaperson
12-04-2010, 12:13 AM
If anybody's feelings were hurt from the RTL fiasco, it was Sherrie and Lynda, who both tried to make the best of a bad situation. Both were badmouthed by the fans and Mary Wilson [[who hired them) and were called "fake supremes", which was a bunch of garbage.

luke
12-04-2010, 12:21 AM
I NEVER read anyone calling them fake supremes. This is nonsense. It was often reported they were hired AFTER Ross left. Some took offense at eg Lynda Lawrence carrying on a tradition that she was a part of for 1 1/2 years and one single but I never read anywhere they had never been Supremes.

jillfoster
12-04-2010, 01:16 AM
If anybody's feelings were hurt from the RTL fiasco, it was Sherrie and Lynda, who both tried to make the best of a bad situation. Both were badmouthed by the fans and Mary Wilson [[who hired them) and were called "fake supremes", which was a bunch of garbage.

How do you expect people to feel about a couple of sellouts?

RossHolloway
12-04-2010, 02:01 AM

And Yet She Still Rises.

marv2
12-04-2010, 02:02 AM

The New York Daily News referred to them as the "Sub-premes"! LOL!

They may have been hurt, but they never were suppose to be a part of a "Diana Ross & The Supremes" reunion. They [[Scherrie & Lynda) can only be "reunited" with Mary Wilson, Jean Terrell, Susaye Greene, etc.

Mary Wilson was hurt because she had wanted a true Supremes reunion for years up to that point.

marv2
12-04-2010, 02:04 AM
I NEVER read anyone calling them fake supremes. This is nonsense. It was often reported they were hired AFTER Ross left. Some took offense at eg Lynda Lawrence carrying on a tradition that she was a part of for 1 1/2 years and one single but I never read anywhere they had never been Supremes.

I don't remember the press calling them fake either. I do recall Lynda Laurence referring to Mary Wilson as "that bitter woman" after the tour collapsed and was cancelled.

marv2
12-04-2010, 02:06 AM
How do you expect people to feel about a couple of sellouts?

In New York they were referred to as "scabs". Tough town here.

nomis
12-04-2010, 02:18 AM
First of all Cher is White..how many black stars got variety shows in the early 70s? count them on one hand.
I have no doubt that if the supremes had been white they would have got their own tv show are you kidding me?And I have no doubt Berry put some of his own cash into Diana! special..These were racist times Diana fought for her place on tv..If she had been white she would have been handed the keys to a tv studio..were talking of the days when separate water fountains were not a distant memory..were talking of the days of Luther King being murdered and the shock that america still felt in the racial climate..Diana tore up the tv everyime she had the chance..and still no tv show for her -only the beatles sold more but forget it she was BLACK..Cher is Cher Im a fan shes great but are you kidding me Moonstruck VS Lady Sings The Blues geez Cher hardly caused the critical and popular acclaim Diana got for Lady.....
Ive said it before and I will say it again They give Liza the award because they were guilty over Judys death..cher had points already scored with the Academy voters for Mask and Silkwood..its a political thing..

I think somewhere in RTL,Arnes death and her drinking she had a breakdown and once you have a breakdown its like putting together a broken vase - you can glue it back together piece by piece but it aint the same..
she HAD to have a breakdown at sometime shes Diana and worked her but off all her life..on RTL she sold out Madison Garden..thats Madison Garden! and is still labelled a flop what can ya do better than sell out Madison?..
She hasnt had a hit in the US for years internatonally shes had a string of top 10s so she was never in the dog house career wise the worlds a big place if America didnt make Take Me Higher or Force Behind The Power hit albums then thats the American industrys loss..they are quality products and certainly have a deeper musical direction than say Chers Heart Of Stone album...Motown dropped the ball on promoting her in the US..EMI did fine internationally for her I know I worked there..
You cant have an affect on culture the way Diana has and not get some mental scars..she and Berry did it all together everything else is going to seem anti climatic...Madonna was way nasty to everyone around her than Diana ever was but did she cop the same flak Diana did ? no shes white..it may surprise some of you folks but an empowered black woman is still a scary prospect in the music buisness...
On the movies its not just the race thing Diana was lazy too..she had "standards" to meet her script approval and that got in the way of people making deals with her..she should never have let the Jospehine project dissolve..hell she could have put some of the RCA advance into making it but she didnt..she needs a Berry figure to push her but she wont take that crap from anyone anymore and why should she?her work is on record you can watch or listen to her magic at the touch of a button and in god I thank for that...

daddyacey
12-04-2010, 03:50 AM
RTL failed because it's conception was driven by commercialism ,money ,ego and the meddling of persons who never had a hand in the legacy of the Supremes and had never sang a single note in the events that made the Supremes ,THE SUPREMES.
A reunion will never work unless Diana ,Mary and Cindy at the minumum ,choose to want to do it ,within their own hearts and IF they control how it is done and what material is used from their combined history....... period. Any other combination would be NICE , but that trio would be Da Shit...Hands Down. Anything "Fully Restored With ORIGINAL PARTS" ,is worth more than just restored. At this point Diane ,Mary and Cindy would only count as fully restored. Word.

marv2
12-04-2010, 09:10 AM
RTL failed because it's conception was driven by commercialism ,money ,ego and the meddling of persons who never had a hand in the legacy of the Supremes and had never sang a single note in the events that made the Supremes ,THE SUPREMES.
A reunion will never work unless Diana ,Mary and Cindy at the minumum ,choose to want to do it ,within their own hearts and IF they control how it is done and what material is used from their combined history....... period. Any other combination would be NICE , but that trio would be Da Shit...Hands Down. Anything "Fully Restored With ORIGINAL PARTS" ,is worth more than just restored. At this point Diane ,Mary and Cindy would only count as fully restored. Word.

WORD! Thanks Daddy.

captainjames
12-04-2010, 10:10 AM

and thats why no reunion with Jean without Miss Ross doing a reunion first will work............WORD UP !!
....put a fork in it we are done.

smark21
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
And Yet She Still Rises.

Amen! Diana Ross is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ Brother Ross Holloway!

smark21
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm amused on how yet another Ross/Supremes thread has turned into yet another argument about RTL and a reunion, lol!

thaperson
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
The only TRUE supremes reunion is never going to happen because Flo is dead.
I love Cindy, but as Oprah said one time, The Supremes will always be Diana, Mary and Flo, period. Cindy came in at the tail end of the Ross years and, unlike Flo, didn't even sing on many of the studio recordings. The Andantes have just as much a right to be up there as Birdsong.

Now I don't agree with how the RTL tour was handled, but none of that is the fault of Lynda or Scherrie, who were asked to do it. No doubt it was the best deal they had seen in ages.

captainjames
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
And please as much as I love her don't put Kelly Rowland at Motown's Reunion again as a Supreme again, that was was horrible.

jillfoster
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
In New York they were referred to as "scabs". Tough town here.

Of course, Marv... the term "scab" sounds worse than it really is. Writers that write during a union strike are also referred to as scabs. Many people think of the scab over a healing sore, but in this situation a "scab" comes from a construction term, where a scab is a board that is used to prop something up temporarily.

jobeterob
12-05-2010, 12:34 AM
In November 1969, Ross' imminent departure for a solo career was announced, although she played a few more dates with them, the last in Las Vegas in January 1970. Jean Terrell replaced Ross, and the group continued through 1977, with some more personnel changes [[although Mary Wilson was always involved). Some of the early Ross-less singles were fine records, particularly "Stoned Love," "Nathan Jones," and the Supremes-Four Tops duet "River Deep -- Mountain High." Few groups have been able to rise to the occasion after the loss of their figurehead, though, and the Supremes proved no exception, rarely making the charts after 1972. It is the Diana Ross-led era of the 1960s for which they'll be remembered.

jillfoster
12-05-2010, 12:48 AM
In November 1969, Ross' imminent departure for a solo career was announced, although she played a few more dates with them, the last in Las Vegas in January 1970. Jean Terrell replaced Ross, and the group continued through 1977, with some more personnel changes [[although Mary Wilson was always involved). Some of the early Ross-less singles were fine records, particularly "Stoned Love," "Nathan Jones," and the Supremes-Four Tops duet "River Deep -- Mountain High." Few groups have been able to rise to the occasion after the loss of their figurehead, though, and the Supremes proved no exception, rarely making the charts after 1972. It is the Diana Ross-led era of the 1960s for which they'll be remembered.

7 top 40 hits is an accomplishment that MOST groups would be PROUD to rise to. It's like Madonna said that her record company considered her "Erotica" album a failure because it ONLY sold 1 1/2 million copies, and she was like "In what universe?"

marv2
12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
7 top 40 hits is an accomplishment that MOST groups would be PROUD to rise to. It's like Madonna said that her record company considered her "Erotica" album a failure because it ONLY sold 1 1/2 million copies, and she was like "In what universe?"

That was a huge accomplishment especially in light of what we now know of what was going on behind the scenes!

captainjames
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
so to answer this blog -- NO Diana has not lost interest - She is just living her life.

topdiva1
12-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Diana Ross like all great stars never lose interest in themselves - A Divas life simply evolves.

jobeterob
12-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Diva, to my mind, every once in a while, you come up with one of these seminal, amusing, perhaps fairly accurate lines...............this is one of them.

supreme_lady
12-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Diana has been there and done all that, she's rich, she's got her health and has got nothing else to prove, she's doing what she loves doing best ENTERTAINING and being there for her kids and precious grandson.

topdiva1
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Diva, to my mind, every once in a while, you come up with one of these seminal, amusing, perhaps fairly accurate lines...............this is one of them.

Thank you jobeterob, very much! In moving forward I will try to bring more such lines.

stephanie
12-15-2010, 07:03 PM
La Lynda can call Miss Wilson bitter if she wants to [[I normally dont make these kinds of comments) but if the tables were turned [[and I think Lynda is talented) I bet her bitterness would be worse. Love her or hate her Mary Wilson stood the test of time with the Supremes and knew that the name would sustain her and bring money. Former Ladies of the Supremes I rest my case. Lynda is making a living off of that name...just stating the facts.

topdiva1
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
And Yet She Still Rises.

Diana Ross will ALWAYS RISE, for she knows nothing else to do, and that is exactly - WHAT BECOMES A LEGEND MOST.

ivyfield
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm sure I'd read Diana said she wasn't consulted about compilations/re-issued stuff [[Hipo and other labels) so maybe that's why she hasn't contributed to liner notes or given 'personal collection' photos to recent projects? Either way it's a damn shame.

ivyfield
08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Let's not forget tho that Mary left the group officially on Sunday June 12th 1977 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London. I was there in the audience when she said she was leaving The Supremes to go solo and that Scherrie and Susaye were to continue with a new 3rd member [[who was to be Joyce Vincent). Mary left of her own [[and husband/manager's) accord. Then, in the flash of a false eyelash, she was back on the road with HER Supremes? Why? Because she couldn't get any work as just plain Mary Wilson. Motown started legal action, things got very nasty and for many years the only territory she could get any bookings were in parts of Europe. Lynda [[and Scherrie too) revived their association with the Supremes just like David, Eddie, Dennis, Richard, Damon, Glenn, Ali-Ollie and others have done with the Temps. They too are/were all 'making a living off the name' and there's nothing wrong with that! It's the parasitic fakes who were employed by Mary as her 'Supremes' who are still out there claiming to be something they most certainly are NOT that should be addressed. There's one woman who's responsible for this sickening pseudo-supreme situation, that's Mary Wilson.

ivyfield
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd like to add to that - many groups worked [[some still do) despite accomplishing far less chart success than the 70's Supremes managed too. Remember too that Berry really couldn't give a fig about them once Diana had stepped out on her own, but they carried on regardless. The 70's Supremes body of work is so neglected by radio stations, journalists and sectors of the media it's criminal. If I had the money I'd license the tracks from Universal and compile the 'Ultimate 70's Supremes' boxed set with detailed liner notes and contributions with photo's from the personal collections of all six ladies [[and believe me there's some amazing stuff several of collected down the years). Lord knows, none of us are getting any younger. All the 'stuff' is out there sitting on shelves in cupboards, cardboard boxes, wherever - it just needs to all be pulled together. Okay, it might not make a ton of money but it would at least give a detailed account of what really happened and why. 'When You Wish Upon A Star...' Stoned Love, Steve.

ladonna
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Although, it is spoken about often, I disagree that Berry didn't give a "fig" about the Supremes after Miss Ross's departure.

skooldem1
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
....but it makes people feel better thinking that.

RossHolloway
08-16-2011, 01:20 PM
....but it makes people feel better thinking that.

*THIS* Unfortunantly alot of Motown's 70's out put is seldom heard on land radio, not just the Supremes. As a Motown fan, I still love the music regardless of if it's played on radio or not.

robbert
08-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Well, then, I guess she just doesn't care and didn't care about being a movie star.
If that were true, then where did Berry Gordy go wrong BIG TIME? Why then did he boost Diana as a solo performer in the late sixties? Why then did Motown move from Detroit to LA, to Hollywood? Just a thought.

revvy
10-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Precisely.

Jimi LaLumia
10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
well, regardless of what jillmarvfoster has to say, neither share or babs will be the focal point of a Broadway show in 2013,sparking worldwide attention and publicity....
****DIANA ROSS*** will be the focal point and Berry Gordy's ultimate star in MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL, and jmf will just HAVE to get over it...LOL

carlo
10-14-2012, 06:29 PM
well, regardless of what jillmarvfoster has to say, neither share or babs will be the focal point of a Broadway show in 2013,sparking worldwide attention and publicity....
****DIANA ROSS*** will be the focal point and Berry Gordy's ultimate star in MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL, and jmf will just HAVE to get over it...LOL

Yes, The Supremes and Diana Ross are an important chapter in the Motown story, but there are many other artists and individuals who contributed to Motown's legacy and I hope they will be recognized as well in some capacity. They deserve to be recognized. This might be Berry's last chance to pay tribute to all of those talented people who helped him to create Motown. In telling the story, my hope is that those individuals will not be overshadowed by Diana Ross and/or The Supremes.

Jimi LaLumia
10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
well, the two most important decades for Motown were the 60's and the 70's, and in both those decades, the entire Motown Universe, by Berry's decree, revolved around DIANA ROSS, and I'm certain that is the story that Mr. Gordy will be all about, although Marvin, Stevie and Michael will get their moments..the others will probably get shout outs when their songs are performed, but people will leave the theatre thinking of Diana Ross as Motown and vice versa..it is, after all, Berry Gordy's story to telll..