PDA

View Full Version : New CD from Ace - The Fantastic Four

test

keith_hughes
05-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Ace Records are pleased to announce a new Motown CD, from the Fantastic Four. Titled "The Lost Motown LP - With Bonus Tracks From the Vaults", the CD is scheduled for release at the end of June. Track listing is as follows:

01 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
02 Just Another Lonely Night
03 If This World Were Mine
04 A Little Too Much *
05 We Can Work It Out *
06 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love)
07 On The Brighter Side Of A Blue World
08 Don't Care Why You Want Me [[Long As You Want Me)
09 I'm Gonna Carry On
10 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again
11 You Turn Me Around *
12 Just Can't Forget About You Baby *
13 How Big Is Your Heart *
14 It Keeps Raining Down Tears *
15 Pin Point It Down
16 Loving You [[Is Hurting Me)
17 I've Found My Goal *
18 Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy
19 Fan The Flame *
20 In A Bad Way *
21 I Hate Myself For Loving You *
22 I'm Still A Struggling Man *
23 Forgive My Jealousy *
24 I Shall Not Be Moved *
25 The Double Cross *

Tracks 1-12 comprise the scheduled but never issued LP SS722 "How Sweet He Is", in the originally intended running order. Tracks 1-15 are in stereo, the remainder in mono; all tracks are original Motown mixes from recordings made between 1968 and 1971. Tracks marked with an asterisk will be appearing here for the first time in any form.

It's been a longish wait for new Motown material from Ace, but I've seen the FF requested by several SDF members so I hope many will feel rewarded for their patience! There are a couple of other Ace/Motown projects in the pipeline, and I hope the next issue will happen a bit more promptly. As always, full info will be posted here first ...

Keith

theboyfromxtown
05-05-2015, 05:04 PM
I love that word...CD!

paul_nixon
05-05-2015, 05:17 PM
I love that word...CD!

Keith Hughes was having some technical problems and asked me to post this cover on his behalf

And what a fab cover - bring it on

Roger Polhill
05-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Wonderful! Can`t wait to get my hands on this.It`s good to hear that there are more in the pipeline.

MIKEW-UK
05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Great news..... I hope and believe that ACE will be justly rewarded with great sales on this release, there have been so many people pushing for exactly this.

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 06:04 PM
And what a fab cover - bring it on

Keith or Paul,
As this release is being titled "the Lost Motown Album", was there/was there not proposed artwork for the cover for "How Sweet He Is"?
Could one of the reasons that this album never saw release have been the title, that certainly drew attention to the lead singer, "Sweet" James Epps? And is that one of the reasons Ace is calling it The Lost Motown Album?

keith_hughes
05-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Looks from the logs that Sweet James was headed for a solo career at this time ... maybe that was one reason that the album was canned. We thought "How Sweet He Is" might sound like a Gospel album, so you might say our title choice was a "marketing decision"!

Our cover shot MIGHT have been intended for the album, but on the picture as we have it there's no lettering at all.

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks Keith for the clarification.

If Ace/Kent is in the mood for lost 'Motown' albums, don't forget about Blinky & Ivy Jo Hunter.

jboy88
05-05-2015, 06:27 PM
At long last! I've been waiting for this release for years! The Fantastic Four are amongs my favorites of the non-hit Motown acts. They could of been right up there with The Temps with the right promotion. HW stated that he found the masters for their aborted lp next to David Ruffin's. Since then I'd been hoping for a package similar to the "David" collection. Finally, my prayers have been answered!

Ryon6
05-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Looking forward to it - YEA!

kenneth
05-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Okay, I have to say it...FANTASTIC! Sign me up for 2 copies!

robb_k
05-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Great News!!! I can't wait to get this one! I loved the their unreleased Motown cuts I listened to while perusing The Vaults for The "From The Vaults" Project.

paul_nixon
05-06-2015, 02:16 AM
Looks from the logs that Sweet James was headed for a solo career at this time ... maybe that was one reason that the album was canned. We thought "How Sweet He Is" might sound like a Gospel album, so you might say our title choice was a "marketing decision"!

Our cover shot MIGHT have been intended for the album, but on the picture as we have it there's no lettering at all.

I wonder if it was Motown's intention to launch SJE as a solo performer in his own right or just let him record a few sides as a soloist whilst keeping his place in the group. What makes me wonder is that the quartet obviously moved labels as a four piece - perhaps their new roster just wanted a group..

keith_hughes
05-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Perhaps the CD compiler, Tony Rounce, will turn up some clues in his research for the essay, Paul.

I should of course have credited Tony in the initial announcement and apologise now for that omission. He's been helped by FF expert Chris Jenner; Mick Patrick's picked the pix and I've put together the annotations.

Bluebrock
05-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Ace really are the best!! It will be worth the wait. Yippee!!

psychedelic jacques
05-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release. Does this therefore confirm that UMG and the companies it leases to [[such as Ace) cannot access the Ric-Tic/Golden World back catalogue for some reason? I ask this in the light that there have also never been any official releases of collections by the San Remo Strings, Reflections, etc., that I would have thought might have appeared by now.

Looking forward to this release, tho'.

honest man
05-06-2015, 06:28 AM
Ace Records are pleased to announce a new Motown CD, from the Fantastic Four. Titled "The Lost Motown LP - With Bonus Tracks From the Vaults", the CD is scheduled for release at the end of June. Track listing is as follows:

01 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
02 Just Another Lonely Night
03 If This World Were Mine
04 A Little Too Much *
05 We Can Work It Out *
06 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love)
07 On The Brighter Side Of A Blue World
08 Don't Care Why You Want Me [[Long As You Want Me)
09 I'm Gonna Carry On
10 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again
11 You Turn Me Around *
12 Just Can't Forget About You Baby *
13 How Big Is Your Heart *
14 It Keeps Raining Down Tears *
15 Pin Point It Down
16 Loving You [[Is Hurting Me)
17 I've Found My Goal *
18 Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy
19 Fan The Flame *
20 In A Bad Way *
21 I Hate Myself For Loving You *
22 I'm Still A Struggling Man *
23 Forgive My Jealousy *
24 I Shall Not Be Moved *
25 The Double Cross *

Tracks 1-12 comprise the scheduled but never issued LP SS722 "How Sweet He Is", in the originally intended running order. Tracks 1-15 are in stereo, the remainder in mono; all tracks are original Motown mixes from recordings made between 1968 and 1971. Tracks marked with an asterisk will be appearing here for the first time in any form.

It's been a longish wait for new Motown material from Ace, but I've seen the FF requested by several SDF members so I hope many will feel rewarded for their patience! There are a couple of other Ace/Motown projects in the pipeline, and I hope the next issue will happen a bit more promptly. As always, full info will be posted here first ...

KeithOH MY LORD,The day has arrived thank you millions for this long awaited ,appreciated CD,you guys are the best,THANK YOU,AMEN

lakedistrictlad1
05-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Fantastic news. Boy, have we all waited for this one!

And SO HAPPY I can sit on my sofa and read the booklet in my hand while listening to a disc.

It's the ONLY civilised way to appreciate music!

Thanks ACE. Can't wait!

paul_nixon
05-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release. Does this therefore confirm that UMG and the companies it leases to [[such as Ace) cannot access the Ric-Tic/Golden World back catalogue for some reason? I ask this in the light that there have also never been any official releases of collections by the San Remo Strings, Reflections, etc., that I would have thought might have appeared by now.

Looking forward to this release, tho'.

The San Remo Strings were always on the stocks to have an anthology - Spectrum release but disappeared off the stock s when the anthology series and minor artist releases ceased Ric Tic material has been used on a number of compilations so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

RossHolloway
05-06-2015, 09:07 AM
What great news to wake up to!

heikki
05-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi Paul!

Sweet James recorded still in the 80s - besides those two solo singles - an albumful of material, but his relatives are asking too much for those tracks.

Best regards
Heikki

thommg
05-06-2015, 10:43 AM
I have to admit that I am unfamiliar with the Fantastic Four. This seems like a good release to buy in order to correct that error.

motown01
05-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Am I dreaming? This is fantastic. James Epps is one of the greatest singers ever, in my opinion.

mysterysinger
05-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Great news indeed and I, for one, am relieved that it doesn't repeat the tracks from the Ric Tic / Soul album that has seen release twice on CD before. The cover of the new CD looks great and one of my fave Motown tracks of all is on the CD - their version of "Just Another Lonely Night". More good work guys - thanks!

danman869
05-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Absolutely terrific news about a great, under appreciated Detroit/Motown group! I can't wait for this release--and anything else ACE puts out on our Motown favorites!

Speaking of which, why hasn't Universal just turned over the job of producing Motown CDs--for both the lesser-known AND the BIG stars--to Ace? If UMe isn't as interested anymore in releasing CDs or digital collections, they shouldn't punish the fans by keeping a lid on most things. [[I'm specifically thinking of the disappearance of "Supremes A' Go-Go" from any kind of release.)

We want CD releases on artists like The Fantastic Four and Blinky and San Remo Golden Strings...ALONG WITH cd packages on the biggies such as The Supremes [[60s & 70s), The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight and The Pips, etc.

Let ACE make this happen. We want our Motown [[and Motown-related) CD releases and ACE is more than willing and capable of making it happen with class, style, quality, and promotion. Who's with me on this?

honest man
05-06-2015, 03:15 PM
24 I Shall Not Be Moved OH MY, I wonder if this is the same song as Barrino brothers,i think i have died and gone to heaven,Thank you lovely people.cheers

keith_hughes
05-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I hope it will be your only disappointment with this set, honest man, that it's not the Holland-Dozier title! Writers are Cosby-Hinton-Dean, and the FF's seems to be the only completed recording of the song. Please don't leave for heaven yet, I'm not sure that Ace have a distributor up there at this time.

theboyfromxtown
05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
as it includes Henry Cosby.....it's gonna be one hell of a song. That man is my hero.

TomBairdFan
05-06-2015, 05:46 PM
CD = Sale! Ka-ching! Nice one, Ace.

jboy88
05-06-2015, 07:13 PM

At one point, based on the track If This World were Mine" being plucked from the sessions, I thought that it was intended to be a cover album of Marvin Gaye tunes. The title referencing Marvin's "How Sweet It Is". At that time I didn't know who the members were so i missed the "Sweet James" connection entirely. "You Turn me Around" and I Shall not be Moved", do sound like they could be gospel tracks. The latter actually is the name of a Gospel song. And Sweet James Epps did have the pipes to have church members flipping over pews.

backflipboy
05-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Would be nice to have a Complete Ric-Tic \ Golden World Singles box set along the lines of The Complete Motown Singles ....... We can but dream :-)

kenneth
05-06-2015, 07:52 PM
"I Hate Myself for Loving You" is one of those odd themed compositions which Gloria Jones and Pam Sawyer seemed to specialize in, along the lines of "It's Bad for Me to See You." Very underrated song writers, in my opinion. Loved Yvonne Fair's version of "Bad" and Gladys Knight's version of "Hate Myself." I bet the Fantastic 4 really wail on that one!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-07-2015, 12:24 AM
24 I Shall Not Be Moved OH MY, I wonder if this is the same song as Barrino brothers,i think i have died and gone to heaven,Thank you lovely people.cheers

I hope it's the same song, too, honest man. Freda Payne recorded it as well on her "Contact" Invictus album. A Motown version by the Fantastic Four could be sensational! Let's keep our fingers crossed! - Gary

Scratch this -- I didn't see Keith's comment until after I posted this.

Overall, got my arms open wide to welcome this Fantastic Four Motown release into my CD collection. As the J5 would say, "Hallelujah Day"!!!

honest man
05-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I hope it will be your only disappointment with this set, honest man, that it's not the Holland-Dozier title! Writers are Cosby-Hinton-Dean, and the FF's seems to be the only completed recording of the song. Please don't leave for heaven yet, I'm not sure that Ace have a distributor up there at this time.

No Problem Keith just a thought,i know nothing will disappoint on this set,will say it again THANK YOU,You and rest of crew input to these releases are priceless,cheers.

mowsville
05-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Danman I am completely with you...I cannot wait for this c.d to come out...I have every Ace/Kent Motown release and would support them all the way...they do such a fantastic job.

roger
05-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release.

I have a C.D. copy of "The Best Of The Fantastic Four" [[their "Ric-Tic" L.P.) on U.S. Motown, I'm not sure what year it came out as I can see no clue in the packaging, but it must have been some time around 1990 as it was one of the first Motown C.Ds I ever bought.

Having said that, it is definitely well overdue for reissue as there isn't a dud track on it.

Great news about this Ace release as every one of their Motown recordings that I have ever heard [[via the TCMS, "Cellarful" etc. sets) has been Fantastic as well.

:)

Roger

Laserdk
05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
I have a C.D. copy of "The Best Of The Fantastic Four" [[their "Ric-Tic" L.P.) on U.S. Motown, I'm not sure what year it came out as I can see no clue in the packaging, but it must have been some time around 1990 as it was one of the first Motown C.Ds I ever bought.

Having said that, it is definitely well overdue for reissue as there isn't a dud track on it.

Great news about this Ace release as every one of their Motown recordings that I have ever heard [[via the TCMS, "Cellarful" etc. sets) has been Fantastic as well.

Roger

Roger,

"The Best Of The Fantastic Four" CD was reissued by Japanese Motown in November 2013 and is still available:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Fantastic-Four/dp/B00DY9WXCC/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1431027242&sr=1-3&keywords=the+fantastic+four

Ivor

theboyfromxtown
05-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Ivor

Have you found a way of avoiding the customs duties on cd's from Japan....I managed to escape it when I bought 23 Dionne Warwick cd's but I clobbered when I ordered 3 Motown cd's

roger
05-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Ivor

Have you found a way of avoiding the customs duties on cd's from Japan....I managed to escape it when I bought 23 Dionne Warwick cd's but I clobbered when I ordered 3 Motown cd's

My experience when I used to order from Hip-O [[from the U.S. around 10 years back before they decided they weren't able to mail to The U.K.) was that it was all very random. About three times out of four the packages would arrive at my humble little abode without HMRC wanting me to pay any import duty. About a quarter of the time someone somewhere would decide that I needed to pay import duty and I had to trot down to my local post office and cough up another pound or two.

I imagine it hasn't changed that much.

Roger

theboyfromxtown
05-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Seems that way Roger

But it's the £8 fee to the Post Office that really gets up my nose.

kenneth
05-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I guess if I knew more about international trade, I'd understand why we don't pay import duties on anything coming in to the US. At least, I've never paid any on any CDs from Amazon UK or elsewhere.

theboyfromxtown
05-08-2015, 06:11 AM
I guess if I knew more about international trade, I'd understand why we don't pay import duties on anything coming in to the US. At least, I've never paid any on any CDs from Amazon UK or elsewhere.

You are so lucky....

mr soul
05-08-2015, 01:35 PM
As far as I am aware items imported from non EU countries with a value of £18 or more attract import duty. I've avoided paying this in the past by placing separate orders if the items are under £18. On one occasion where I had done this & duty was charged as they were shipped as one package, I wrote to the company concerned & they refunded the charges. At the same time two other packages were delivered which I expected to pay duty on, so go figure it, but I wasn't complaining.

calvin
05-08-2015, 04:00 PM
@ tbfxt

For items that come from non-EU countries, you pay standard VAT [[20%) on goods with a value that exceeds £15. The VAT is applied to the total value including the postage charge.

Royal Mail also charges a "handling fee" for collecting the VAT. I've always been charged £5 for this. If you paid £8, perhaps this fee is not standard? But even £5 is ridiculous…

There is no customs duty on items with value less than £135. At or above that, you'll be charged customs duty at a rate which depends on the item, provided that the duty comes to at least £9. For cds, the rate is 3.5%. That means you need a value of a bit more than £257 to reach the £9 threshold charge. [[Still, I'd break an order up to avoid exceeding £135 - I'd be afraid they'd charge me by mistake, and perhaps at a rate which is too high… and good luck trying to get anything back.)

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/8523493900

In practice, I've usually not been charged on single cds even when the value was above £15, including on orders from Japan. But I've placed a few bigger multi-cd orders with HMV Japan and I had to pay VAT on every one of those.

As Mr Soul writes, you could try to break the orders into smaller, separate orders. I've done this as well - a few months ago musicjapan had two cds I wanted on Amazon marketplace, so I ordered one, waited a day or two and then ordered the other, just to be sure they'd be sent seperately. It was not only about saving the VAT, but saving myself the hassle of having my cds held at the post until I paid the VAT. But with HMV Japan and some other sellers, you should also consider that breaking an order up might increase the postage cost [[not the case with Amazon marketplace).

That "Best of The Fantastic Four" cd linked above is offered by musicjapan for £6.26 + £1.26 postage, less than £15 so there should be no charges.

Laserdk
05-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Ivor

John,

Import charges are very random [[and when you do get caught, as you say, you have to pay the Royal Mail handling fee as acting as your agent!) but a rule of thumb is if your total order totals £18 plus then it might well get picked up for the import charge [[i.e. the VAT) but if you keep your order under £18 it will just get passed with no import charge. So, if you are ordering several items, do separate orders for each individual item as this might well work [[on the assumption the individual item is leas than £18).

Ivor

theboyfromxtown
05-08-2015, 04:37 PM
John,

Import charges are very random [[and when you do get caught, as you say, you have to pay the Royal Mail handling fee as acting as your agent!) but a rule of thumb is if your total order totals £18 plus then it might well get picked up for the import charge [[i.e. the VAT) but if you keep your order under £18 it will just get passed with no import charge. So, if you are ordering several items, do separate orders for each individual item as this might well work [[on the assumption the individual item is leas than £18).

Ivor

Thank you to everybody for their input. The morale of the story is......record companies should release the cd's in the UK and then we dont have to pay extra!

mysterysinger
05-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Available for pre-order on Amazon but has to come down in price?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Motown-Album-Fantastic-Four/dp/B00XAB4ZRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431253297&sr=8-1&keywords=fantastic+four+lost+motown

booty
05-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I have yet to see a pre-order price not come down, and in the case of the many Motown CD's I've pre-ordered with Amazon by a considerable amount. I always pre-order mine and because of Amazon's pre-order price guarantee have landed some real bargains in the past when the price has dipped to silly money before rising again. When I pre-ordered TCMSC 12B it was at £95.00 - it fell to £26.00 and that was all I paid for it. Remember that if you pre-order it you can cancel at any time before release, so if the price of an item doesn't fall to what you are prepared to pay for it, or find it cheaper elsewhere, just press cancel. One word of warning though - occasionally an item will suddenly go out as being temporarily unavailable before release and you will be offered to subscribe to an email from Amazon to be notified when it comas back into stock. Do NOT subscribe to this - just leave your original pre-order in place.

jboy88
05-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Great news indeed and I, for one, am relieved that it doesn't repeat the tracks from the Ric Tic / Soul album that has seen release twice on CD before. The cover of the new CD looks great and one of my fave Motown tracks of all is on the CD - their version of "Just Another Lonely Night". More good work guys - thanks!

I wouldn't mind another reissue of their Ric-Tic era Motown album if it included the Mono mixes and non-lp singles as bonus tracks. Otherwise, i'm not interested either.

mysterysinger
05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Best Of The Fantastic Four.

heikki
05-11-2015, 03:09 AM
Hi!

http://www.soulexpress.net/fantasticfour_discography.htm

Best regards
Heikki

carole cucumber
05-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Now featured at the Ace website:

http://acerecords.co.uk/the-lost-motown-album

MIKEW-UK
05-14-2015, 02:29 PM
A riddle I've always puzzled over and which Keith or Paul might be able to solve.....

On the liner notes of The Best Of The Fantastic Four album, Reggie Goodwin writes "I can't help smiling when they sing "Where Do I Go From Here" because I know, and they know, the direction is up and away into the unlimited horizons of stardom." Yet there is no track of this name on this 11 [[not 12 ) track album, and I assumed the track had been left off in error.

Al Kent recorded a track of this name, as did the Four Tops.... written by the team at RicTic....so can I assume there a Fantastic Four recording of this track somewhere in the vaults?

AL KENT VERSION -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVEZGrcNW5o

MIKEW-UK
05-14-2015, 02:30 PM
FOUR TOPS VERSION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlO9Q-EX-_U

keith_hughes
05-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Yes, Mike, you are right: there was an FF version of "Where Do I Go From Here" recorded at Golden World, and the tape is still in the Motown Vaults. My guess is that Motown intended to use it on the album, then discovered that it had never been released so dropped it. The track became a contender for the Cellarful series at one point, don't know why it was dropped a second time - over to Paul on that one!

A re-make of the song, assigned to the FF, was started at Motown in mid-1969 but the group never recorded vocals. If they had completed it, we would likely have included this second version on the Ace CD. But the scope of that CD was always intended to be Motown recordings only, thus the original version was not a contender. So it's only been dropped twice so far, and third time lucky is still a possibility!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Wow! The Four Tops version of "Where Do I Go From Here" is great [[Levi could do no wrong), but I especially love the instrumentation on Al Kent's recording. [[It's amazing how much he sounds like Levi on that record.) Those are clearly The Andantes on Al's record. It must be one of those sessions where the girls AND the Funk Brothers snuck over to Ric-Tic to lend their talents when Berry Gordy's back was turned! Interesting, Mike Terry [[Motown's baritone sax man) arranged the music charts. I'll bet Berry issued betrayal fines galore [[$$$) for this one! If I had heard it on the radio back in the day, I would have sworn it was a new Motown release.

jboy88
05-27-2015, 04:40 PM
The samples are up now! The 29th can't come soon enough.

lakedistrictlad1
05-30-2015, 03:40 PM
I really tries NOT to listen to the samples....but couldn't resist.

How in the world has this music taken so long to get released?

I can't wait!!!

kenneth
06-25-2015, 12:19 AM
This deserves a bump just to keep it on everyone's radar!

jboy88
06-25-2015, 10:27 AM
This deserves a bump just to keep it on everyone's radar!

Thanks a mil Ken!

woodward
06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
I can't wait!!![/QUOTE]

I was going to place an order with Amazon USA but in doing so I just discovered that it will not be released until July 10, 2015.
Please be advised accordingly.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Motown-Album-Fantastic-Four/dp/B00XAB4ZRU

jaybs
06-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Arrived yesterday, what a True Gem!

soulwally
06-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Arrived yesterday, what a True Gem!

Mine too. Couldn't agree more. Fabulous stereo sound too.

lakedistrictlad1
06-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Really enjoying this CD. I think this is the first Motown purchase i've made this year. But it has been worth the wait.

Thanks to all at ACE. A real gem to add to the collection.

soulwally
07-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Really enjoying this CD. I think this is the first Motown purchase i've made this year. But it has been worth the wait.

Thanks to all at ACE. A real gem to add to the collection.
I'm NOT enjoying the version of Fan The Flame. it's among my favourite Tempts tracks but it's directness is replaced by an incredibly over-orchestrated, simply weird, treatment. 0 our of 10 for Bobby taylor [[producer) and whoever arranged it.

dickiemint
07-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Great CD been on in my car since Monday loving Sweet James Epps voice

Bluebrock
07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Ace never let us down. I only hope the fans continue to support the product. They say they will continue their great work as long as it is financially and creatively worthwhile. Let's make them keep to their word.

kenneth
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
I ordered from Amazon US so haven't received mine yet.

Please, one of you members post a review on Amazon. That's the best way to spur sales and we want to be sure these sell out for Ace so they'll keep releasing more great Motown. Raving about the album here is preaching to the choir!

rovereab
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm not familiar with this group's output so can someone advise if the songs have the classic Detroit sound or were the backing tracks cut elsewhere.

Thanks.

keith_hughes
07-10-2015, 01:37 PM
They were all cut at Hitsville.

paul_nixon
07-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Yes, Mike, you are right: there was an FF version of "Where Do I Go From Here" recorded at Golden World, and the tape is still in the Motown Vaults. My guess is that Motown intended to use it on the album, then discovered that it had never been released so dropped it. The track became a contender for the Cellarful series at one point, don't know why it was dropped a second time - over to Paul on that one!

A re-make of the song, assigned to the FF, was started at Motown in mid-1969 but the group never recorded vocals. If they had completed it, we would likely have included this second version on the Ace CD. But the scope of that CD was always intended to be Motown recordings only, thus the original version was not a contender. So it's only been dropped twice so far, and third time lucky is still a possibility!

Yes the song was called for one of the volumes of Cellarful having never been heard, I auditioned the track and to be honest felt that it wasn't quite up there with the quality we had come to expect from FF. That may have been why a rerecording of the vocals had been scheduled. In this case it was much better to leave this particular song in the can.

mysterysinger
07-11-2015, 07:47 AM
I know ACE has largely taken over this role, but I, for one, would sure welcome a Cellarful of Motown Volume 5 or Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Volume 3. The latter series being a nice mix of rarer and unreleased Motown.

While we're at it, how about some more in the Soul Satisfaction series or even Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics Volume 5? Those were the days my friend.

paul_nixon
07-11-2015, 12:09 PM
I know ACE has largely taken over this role, but I, for one, would sure welcome a Cellarful of Motown Volume 5 or Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Volume 3. The latter series being a nice mix of rarer and unreleased Motown.

While we're at it, how about some more in the Soul Satisfaction series or even Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics Volume 5? Those were the days my friend.

They sure were and there's plenty to fill up future volumes of all of them - you need write to Universal UK to urge them to do more - I believe they think there is a lack of interest

Bluebrock
07-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Yes yes yes and more yes!!!!!

the sound of young america
07-13-2015, 04:48 PM
My copy arrived safe and sound direct from ACE.

Thanks Keith and the team at ACE for another great release.

I can't wait for the next one...

In the meantime I'll enjoy the "Sunny and Warm' weather..............................

mysterysinger
07-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Nice weather ? Blink and you'll miss it.

jboy88
07-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm NOT enjoying the version of Fan The Flame. it's among my favourite Tempts tracks but it's directness is replaced by an incredibly over-orchestrated, simply weird, treatment. 0 our of 10 for Bobby taylor [[producer) and whoever arranged it.

I couldn't agree more! It seemed like Bobby was on some Norman Whitfield-esque ego trip with that one. The rest of the songs are spectacular. "You Turn Me Around" and "A Little Too Much", could of been singles. "Can't Forget Abut You , Baby" was one of my favorites from the Ice man, But Sweet James had me saying "Jerry Who?!" I can't believe it sat in the can all these decades.

snakepit
07-14-2015, 02:11 PM
They sure were and there's plenty to fill up future volumes of all of them - you need write to Universal UK to urge them to do more - I believe they think there is a lack of interest

Paul
would there be a direct e-mail address that would get to the relevant desk?

MIKEW-UK
07-14-2015, 04:14 PM

There were many posts over the years imploring the "authorities' to release The Fantastic Four anthology, amongst other acts such as Blinky and Ivy Jo. I imagine the actual numbers sold are commercially sensitive, nevertheless, is it possible to indicate as to whether the release of The Fantastic Four has been commercially successful or otherwise.

If The Fantastic Four release has not garnered commercially viable numbers, I guess we should all expect the fountain to run dry......

kenneth
07-14-2015, 08:15 PM
There were many posts over the years imploring the "authorities' to release The Fantastic Four anthology, amongst other acts such as Blinky and Ivy Jo. I imagine the actual numbers sold are commercially sensitive, nevertheless, is it possible to indicate as to whether the release of The Fantastic Four has been commercially successful or otherwise.

If The Fantastic Four release has not garnered commercially viable numbers, I guess we should all expect the fountain to run dry......

Please guys post some reviews on Amazon! I will as soon as I receive my copy in the next few days.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Kenny, I would be happy to write a review of The Fantastic Four's "Lost Motown Album" CD "IF" I could play it. My long-anticipated copy arrived in the mail via UPS yesterday -- DAMAGED. The damned thing looked like it had been through a war. The flat, corrugated cardboard shipping box had been ripped open on one whole side and then shabbily replaced with clear packing tape. The plastic jewel case was all cracked on the front side and severely smashed [[in broken pieces) on the back side -- so bad that the paper with graphics and track list [[up under the back jewel case) was ripped with an actual hole through it. Worst of all -- brace yourself.... this is cringe-worthy -- the Motown CD itself was mutilated with a series of horrible scratches all around one spot. God, it was sickening! Amazon's already got me set up with a new copy that'll be here Monday, if not sooner, as I knew they would [[bless their heart), but damn.... My heart sank, especially after the long, 2-month wait. Thanks a lot, UPS!

honest man
07-15-2015, 06:40 AM
AMAZON UK Has it for under 10 quid cheers

honest man
07-17-2015, 06:21 AM
FANTASTIC is the word for this collection ,i cannot praise enough all who were involved with this project.it is everything i hoped it would be ,my fave new track has to be Freddie Gorman IN A BAD WAY cover,absolutely ACE,maybe we will get a Freddie Gorma Motown set along with Edwin Starr vaulted Motown Material, as i now know there is no JJ Barnes left,lastly as much as i love the F4 it was so sad to read that all four members of the group had left this earth but hopefully with Ace releasing cds like this they will live on,got to say THANK YOU AGAIN,Cheers.

honest man
07-17-2015, 07:29 AM
FANTASTIC is the word for this collection ,i cannot praise enough all who were involved with this project.it is everything i hoped it would be ,my fave new track has to be Freddie Gorman IN A BAD WAY cover,absolutely ACE,maybe we will get a Freddie Gorma Motown set along with Edwin Starr vaulted Motown Material, as i now know there is no JJ Barnes left,lastly as much as i love the F4 it was so sad to read that all four members of the group had left this earth but hopefully with Ace releasing cds like this they will live on,got to say THANK YOU AGAIN,Cheers.

https://youtu.be/vqRjIdvFsLU

Philles/Motown Gary
07-18-2015, 12:23 AM
You hit the nail right on the head, honest man. Amazon got my Fantastic Four replacement copy to me today [[3 days earlier than expected) and the word for it is indeed "FANTASTIC"! It's hard to believe that Motown would cancel the release of one of its classiest and most soulful recordings ever. I haven't had a chance to read the booklet's liner notes yet, but I'm sure I'll learn what Motown's reasoning was behind its cancellation of such a polished and sophisticated masterpiece. Thank you, ACE! You've rated a great big A+ for this CD release!

jboy88
07-20-2015, 12:52 PM
I can't believe the Cosby thread's getting more hits than this one. SMH

keith_hughes
07-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Well, I'll boost this thread by saying THANKS for the warm reception! And also to point out that the big credit for this release goes to Tony Rounce at Ace, whose idea this was and who wrote the essay; and to Heikki Suasolo, whose FF interview was the backbone of the research, and to Chris Jenner, who checked the facts and the pix. Errors in the annotations [[if any) can be laid at my door.

Keith

grapevine
07-21-2015, 07:32 AM
I'm not familiar with this group's output so can someone advise if the songs have the classic Detroit sound or were the backing tracks cut elsewhere.

Thanks.

...roverab ...here's just a few of their classic Detroit Sounds ...enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdfaFO1xBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paD7uqiL2NI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5ooK2sL_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUwXqvRUAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMM61qbW6U

...you'll love their 'Lost Motown' CD

motown01
07-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Just ordered mine - can't wait!

phil
07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Here's my favorite Fantastic Four song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_FHGrJ6qs
I'll never forget when Ray Monette told us here at SDF how he came with these dreamy guitar licks. Souvenirs...

Ryon6
07-22-2015, 11:08 PM
All I can say is I LOVE THIS CD!!! If Motown would've released it back in the day, it would've been a monster. This cd would've surprised a lot of people.

144man
07-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I've just played it again and it's even better than I thought it was on first play. Brilliant.

"You Turn Me Around" has a strange influence from "Cloud Nine".

The review in "Record Collector" gives it the maximum 5 stars, and reviewer Lois Wilson doesn't hand that rating out very often.

heikki
07-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Hi!

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep5_2015.htm#fantasticfour

Best regards
Heikki

Roger Polhill
08-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Many thanks Keith and Ace for this very satisfying release.As usual - great music and informative liner notes. I can`t wait to order the next one- "Spinners Vol. 2" ??

kenneth
08-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Many thanks Keith and Ace for this very satisfying release.As usual - great music and informative liner notes. I can`t wait to order the next one- "Spinners Vol. 2" ??

Yes, please!

carole cucumber
08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Just love the title and the final comment of this article:

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/08/11/its-clobberin-time-ace-unearths-gems-from-motowns-fantastic-four/

MIKEW-UK
09-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Unissued track new to me...... the poster wrote "Did you know the group recorded 50 tracks between 1968 to 1971, mostly on Motown's SOUL label, [[so there's a lot in Motown's vaults!) but only 3 singles were issued!!" Does that mean there might be even more tracks to come out from ACE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcWZCFf4iUQ