PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May 5, 9P-12M ET: a Tribute to Brenda Holloway!

test

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Howdy, Folks! Last week, SDF's Glen Wood brought up the idea of a Brenda Holloway show...and I said to myself "...well...of COURSE"! So Glen...thank you for the great idea. Tonight, on "Nightflight"...3 hours of the magnificent Brenda. Hits, album tracks, rare to radio tracks, and of course...a few extended versions. So do join me for 3 hours filled with the heavenly Brenda Holloway...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks! See you on the radio!~~~Johnhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s7siBQpI2EU/UBLK4enzr2I/AAAAAAAAADw/OpuvReF7LRQ/s1600/Just+Look+What+You've+Done.jpg

RossHolloway
05-05-2015, 09:53 AM
I will definitely be listening in tonight MJ! I love Brenda Holloway!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 03:11 PM
I will definitely be listening in tonight MJ! I love Brenda Holloway! Well I KNOW that you DO! Glad you'll be here, Bobby!

Glenpwood
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
I may have planted a seed, but you always turn it into a beautiful flower, John.

See you and the gang here shortly!

franjoy56
05-05-2015, 08:47 PM
I enjoyed brendas releases but ill be wishing and hoping for a mary wells tribute soon if its possible, brenda recorded when im gone a track that would have been a mary wells release had she stayed at motown.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 08:58 PM
...in the studio!!! Howdy Bobby and Franjoy and Glen....glad to see y'all!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 09:05 PM
...in the studio!!! Howdy Bobby and Franjoy and Glen....glad to see y'all!

Oh-oh; oh-no!! Johnny's using his skype x-ray vision again. I sure hope that I'm dressed appropriately for the occasion!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Great medley, by the way.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:16 PM
I may have planted a seed, but you always turn it into a beautiful flower, John.

See you and the gang here shortly!

Yeah, Glen....you better be careful how you plant those seeds!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I enjoyed brendas releases but ill be wishing and hoping for a mary wells tribute soon if its possible, brenda recorded when im gone a track that would have been a mary wells release had she stayed at motown.

Franjoy....thanks....we'll see what happens with a Mary Wells show in the not too distant future....

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Great medley, by the way.

Thank you and welcome, Carole....and I wouldn't use that x-ray vision for ill purposes....you know that [[*smile)

Glenpwood
05-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Deep Freeze sounds like it would have been a nice candidate for the Diana Ross natural disasters singles era that gave us Swept Away and Eaten Alive......;)

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Deep Freeze sounds like it would have been a nice candidate for the Diana Ross natural disasters singles era that gave us Swept Away and Eaten Alive......;) Excellent!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 09:42 PM
An idea from left field..
In the past, you've interviewed Harry Weinger, Andy Skurow, George Solomon [[and we've even heard from a pre-recorded Kevin Reeves).
So many of the tracks you are playing tonight saw release because of the U.K.'s great love of Motown and Brenda. Others [[the download only 62-64 selections) came about as a result of copyright laws that first focused on the U.K.
Our Brit friends, primarily Keith Hughes and Paul Nixon, have worked tirelessly to bring these wonderful selections to us.
I recognize that international time zone differences prohibit live interviews of them on Nightflight. But is it possible to have a Motown aficionado such as John Lester interview them in the U.K. [[using your and his agreed upon questions), making a recording of their responses and sending you a copy of the interview to be played on Nightflight. Now that would be quite a treat.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:48 PM
An idea from left field..
In the past, you've interviewed Harry Weinger, Andy Skurow, George Solomon [[and we've even heard from a pre-recorded Kevin Reeves).
So many of the tracks you are playing tonight saw release because of the U.K.'s great love of Motown and Brenda. Others [[the download only 62-64 selections) came about as a result of copyright laws that first focused on the U.K.
Our Brit friends, primarily Keith Hughes and Paul Nixon, have worked tirelessly to bring these wonderful selections to us.
I recognize that international time zone differences prohibit live interviews of them on Nightflight. But is it possible to have a Motown afficiendo such as John Lester interview them in the U.K. [[using your and his agreed upon questions), making a recording of their responses and sending you a copy of the interview to be played on Nightflight. Now that would be quite a treat.

ABSOLUTELY! A GREAT idea!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 09:50 PM
The above suggestion would, of course, not allow the possibility of listeners posting their questions as to expect an instant response from our U.K. friends, but perhaps Keith and Paul would be so gracious as to read and answer questions and offer clarifications that resulted from that night's presentation whenever their time schedules allowed.

Glenpwood
05-05-2015, 09:52 PM
This could loop for hours and I'd be satisfied!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 09:53 PM
The above suggestion would, of course, not allow the possibility of listeners posting their questions as to expect an instant response from our U.K. friends, but perhaps Keith and Paul would be so gracious as to read and answer questions and offer clarifications whenever their time schedules allowed.

I think it would be great to incorporate listeners questions...not unlike how we have folks post questions on SDF when I have a guest...

Ryon6
05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Hello Gang, I've been out walking and listening to this beautiful music. Thank you MJ. I loves me some BH. "Just Look What You've Done" is my favorite Brenda Holloway song and she is one of my favorite vocalists. Loved the instrumental to "JLWYD". It sounds like Diana Ross is singing in the background. Also, why didn't Motown push Brenda? She had the looks and the sound. SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Hello Gang, I've been out walking and listening to this beautiful music. Thank you MJ. I loves me some BH. "Just Look What You've Done" is my favorite Brenda Holloway song and she is one of my favorite vocalists. Loved the instrumental to "JLWYD". It sounds like Diana Ross is singing in the background. Also, why didn't Motown push Brenda? She had the looks and the sound. SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Tyrone.....great to see you....glad you're listening!! And you are so right!!!!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Please play "This Time Last Summer" from the 1964 download series... pretty, pretty please!

And "Lucky My Boy" if you have it.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Please play "This Time Last Summer" from the 1964 download series... pretty, pretty please! You KNOW I will....glad you asked......I have waited for this song to play on the show for a DECADE!!!!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 10:40 PM
When did Brenda record 'Oops"?
That has to be her shortest recording EVER!!!!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 10:44 PM
When did Brenda record 'Oops"?
That has to be her shortest recording EVER!!!! hahahaha....funnnyyyyyeeeee!

kenneth
05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Kenneth tuning in for the last hour of this great show.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Kenneth tuning in for the last hour of this great show.

Welcome and good to see you, Kenneth!!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Stevie did record a version of 'All I Do is think Of You' on his "Hotter Than July" album.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Stevie did record a version of 'All I Do is think Of You' on his "Hotter Than July" album....is there an echo in here??

kenneth
05-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Stevie did record a version of 'All I Do is think Of You' on his "Hotter Than July" album.

The Brenda version is nice but I don't think anyone could top the Tammi version. That ache and throb in her voice just kills it for me.

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 11:16 PM
The Brenda version is nice but I don't think anyone could top the Tammi version. That ache and throb in her voice just kills it for me. Yes....I agree......it was meant for Tammi....

kenneth
05-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Yes....I agree......it was meant for Tammi....

I can't understand why it was never released. She must have recorded it after Motown had more or less given up on her as a solo.

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:23 PM
...is there an echo in here??

Which reminds me... Brenda's version of "Echo was echoed as "More Echo" and "Echo-Echo-Echo"

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Do you have "Tell Me Your Story" with the male voice-over at the end of the song?

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Do you have "Tell Me Your Story" with the male voice-over at the end of the song? Carole....I have a number of versions...but not sure which has what you're looking for.

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
From the "I don't want to go to jail collection/series" that you mentioned earlier in the program

kenneth
05-05-2015, 11:38 PM
From the "I don't want to go to jail collection/series" that you mentioned earlier in the program

Explain please!

midnight johnny
05-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Explain please! Yes....plssss!

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:53 PM
I first heard this version on a cassette sold by R.. B........ and now as I'm jogging my memory ,it may not have been placed on cd via a multi cd series [[pre-opening of the Motown vaults era) that originated overseas.

The version without the male voice-over is to be found here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Various+Artists/Tamla+Motown+Connoisseurs,+Volume+1

carole cucumber
05-05-2015, 11:59 PM
I meant to post this earlier, as you were unsure of its origin at the time.

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

midnight johnny
05-06-2015, 12:42 AM
I meant to post this earlier, as you were unsure of its origin at the time.

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
Don’t Turn Your Back On Me Carole....thank you for this!