PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Starr - You Got My Soul On Fire

test

theboyfromxtown
05-03-2015, 04:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIAkKc9EK4

marv2
05-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Motown was just knee deep in talent! Edwin Starr was something else. What show is this from?

Ok I saw it during the credits...."Hits A Go Go". Looks like from Germany?

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2015, 12:00 AM
I've always loved Edwin Starr's version of "You've Got My Soul On Fire". I loved The Temptations' version, too. Unfortunately, neither version exactly burned their way up the charts. To my ears, Norman Whitfield was still artistically and creatively hot. For whatever reason, however, he seemed to be in a commercial slump. I guess Motown's move to L.A. had a lot to do with it. It's a shame because I also loved Norman's "Me And Rock 'N' Roll Are Here To Stay" album that he produced on David Ruffin which should have hit big but didn't. Go figure!

honest man
05-04-2015, 05:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIAkKc9EK4 wow John excellent preformance from the Soul Master,love it.cheers

Sharpmoves
05-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Powerhouse stuff, from The Man! Oh my goodness. Such a brilliant voice, and a fascinating contrast with Chuck Jackson. The male soloists/lead singers in Motown at that time were just amazing eg: Levi Stubbs, the Ruffin Bros, Marvin, Dennis Edwards, Chuck Jackson, Edwin Starr, Smokey...........Thanks again TBFXT for another top post.

johnjeb
05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
John...thanks for posting this video...I never heard this version before and was never crazy about the Tempts version...by the time of this release in 1973 I was getting tired of Norman Whitfield passing his songs around to all his acts...oh well...the intro sounds a bit like the intro to Yvonne's It Should Have Been Me...I just ordered Edwin's Essential Collection - got to have this song.

John

theboyfromxtown
05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
John...thanks for posting this video...I never heard this version before and was never crazy about the Tempts version...by the time of this release in 1973 I was getting tired of Norman Whitfield passing his songs around to all his acts...oh well...the intro sounds a bit like the intro to Yvonne's It Should Have Been Me...I just ordered Edwin's Essential Collection - got to have this song.

John

It's great innit. I love it.

Although the video has been on youtube a while, it seems that others have missed it too cos it's now being posted on other sites too. Glad everyone is enjoying it.

westgrandboulevard
05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Tbfxt, this is an excellent clip - as have been all of your recent clips, as I'm sure many here would agree.....
[[note to anyone who hasn't already done so: why not check them all out,right now?! ;))

It is a fact that there are always very many people out there, watching this forum, even if they don't sign in, or post any comments.

Why, some of them would even seem to be conducting an undercover surveillance operation through long-distance binoculars....LOL

theboyfromxtown
05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Tbfxt, this is an excellent clip - as have been all of your recent clips, as I'm sure many here would agree.....
[[note to anyone who hasn't already done so: why not check them all out,right now?! ;))

It is a fact that there are always very many people out there, watching this forum, even if they don't sign in, or post any comments.

Why, some of them would even seem to be conducting an undercover surveillance operation through long-distance binoculars....LOL

Perhaps we should all wave next time the binoculars are out!

westgrandboulevard
05-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Yes! We could organise a get-together. We'll call it a truce!!

We could all meet in No Man's Land, sing Motown songs until someone blows a whistle [[like Mary Wilson, during 'Bad Weather'?!) and then return to our respective forums :rolleyes: