PDA

View Full Version : Motown in the kitchen??

test

vcq
08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
As someone who spends way too much time in the kitchen, I noticed that one of my cookbooks, Patty Pinner's Sweetie Pies [[http://www.amazon.com/Sweety-Pies-Uncommon-Collection-Observations/dp/1561588482/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281291217&sr=8-1) features a story [[and recipe for sweet potato pie) about Caldin Street, the lead singer of the Velvelettes, who happens to be the author's cousin. Patty's cookbooks Sweets and Sweetie Pies are both full of soul food desserts and vintage family photos that paint a vibrant portrait of Saginaw, MI during the 1960s.

Are there other former Motown acts out there that have written / contributed to cookbooks? I know other soul / R&B artists like Patti LaBelle have done so...

Thanks,

VCQ

theboyfromxtown
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Well I didn't know that. Wow.

Which book is it. That lady has done a few books

jsmith
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Here's the books index; its page 141 we want to see .....

theboyfromxtown
08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Why can't I be clever like you John?

Thank you

marybrewster
08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
“Dining with the Stars; a Taste of the Best” cookbook by Paul Kent Dorn includes a recipe from Mary Wilson:

Supremely Healthy Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas with Couscous

3 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
chopped cilantro, to taste
4 small turkey drumsticks or wings
1 pound dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 pound celery, chopped
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cayenne
3 tablespoons flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch [[optional)
couscous [[recipe follows)

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic cloves, and cilantro. Add the turkey parts and brown them. Add the black-eyed peas and cover with water. Cook for 1 hour, or until the peas are tender. Add the carrots, celery, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. If desired, thicken with flour or cornstarch. Serve with couscous.

Couscous

1 chicken bouillon cube
1 garlic clove, minced
salt, to taste
2 cups couscous
olive oil
lemon juice, to taste

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the bouillon cube, garlic, salt, and couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let steam for 20 minutes. Add olive oil and lemon juice to taste.

vcq
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Here's the recipe in question: 360

smark21
08-16-2010, 09:32 PM
If you want to give someone food poisoning, try Kaaren Ragland's meatloaf recipe.

http://aww.ninemsn.com/food/freshtv/783180/kaarens-american-meat-loaf-kaaren-ragland-the-sounds-of-the-supremes

marybrewster
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
http://aww.ninemsn.com/food/freshtv/783180/kaarens-american-meat-loaf-kaaren-ragland-the-sounds-of-the-supremes

theboyfromxtown
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Smark21 and marybrewster - You two are naughty

.......and I'm sorry I found it amusing. LOL

VCQ, you're a little star. THANK YOU.