PDA

View Full Version : Supremes: "CW&P" CD

test

marybrewster
04-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Am looking at my Supremes "Country Western & Pop" CD, and have a few questions; observations:

First, I hate to sound like a dunce, but.....

What is the actual NAME of this LP, CD?

On the front cover, same as the LP cover art, it's "The Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop". BUT, on the spine of the CD, there is a comma between Country and Western, so it reads "The Supremes Sing Country, Western & Pop".

So are the Supremes singing TWO genres of music:

Country Western
Pop

Or THREE genres of music:

Country
Western
Pop

?

Also, curiously, the CD itself, again, matches the cover art of the original LP: THE SUPREMES SING.....yet on the spine of the CD, it's noted as "DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING".

Lastly, the CD lists a buffet of exectutives and producers that are unfamiliar to me:

Robert Margouleff
Brant Biles
Candace Bond
Amy Herot
Joe Gastwirt
Georgia Ward
David Moss
Dana Smart

Are any of these names still behind the scenes?

Jaap
04-14-2015, 11:30 AM
That is an interesting question. Also, the comma appears not only on the spine of the CD, but also in the liner notes, including those on the original album. I always assumed that the genre was "country & western" and by adding "pop", the "&" just moved up. The list of producers all seem to related to the CD re-release, not to the original album release.

mysterysinger
04-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Just be thankful they didn't sing Country, Rock and Pop.

bradsupremes
04-14-2015, 02:12 PM
The first CD reissues came out at a time where they added "Diana Ross" to all 60's Supremes releases. I'm not sure why it was done, but I have feeling it was another way to keep Diana's name out front and to increase sales because her name was on it. I sometimes think it was a plan Motown introduced so the group would be forever known by even though it was only used for 2 1/2 years of the group's existence. It's rather stupid if you ask me. Were they going to release "Meet The Supremes," which it clearly says on the front cover, as "Meet Diana Ross & the Supremes?"

Georgia Wand used to oversee the Motown Tape Archives.

sansradio
04-14-2015, 02:56 PM
The first CD reissues came out at a time where they added "Diana Ross" to all 60's Supremes releases. I'm not sure why it was done, but I have feeling it was another way to keep Diana's name out front and to increase sales because her name was on it. I sometimes think it was a plan Motown introduced so the group would be forever known by even though it was only used for 2 1/2 years of the group's existence. It's rather stupid if you ask me. Were they going to release "Meet The Supremes," which it clearly says on the front cover, as "Meet Diana Ross & the Supremes?"

Georgia Wand used to oversee the Motown Tape Archives.

My feeling is that this was done to differentiate from "The New Supremes' " reisssues.

johnny_raven
04-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Yes, but I remember seeing a cassette of "Touch" that had Diana Ross & The ... even though the CD just said "The Supremes"

Motown Andy
04-14-2015, 11:59 PM
I'd go with the title on the front of the CD. The spine couldn't always be trusted back in the 80s and early 90s. I think it was the spine for Touch that erroneously said Diana Ross & The Supremes. The credits on the CD were for the people who worked on the CD project, which kind of peeved me because it implies they produced the record. Today, we differentiate the album credits from the reissue credits. I always try to keep my fingerprints off the original work.

Lastly, I know you're not a fan of digital, Mary Brewster, but the 1992 CD, which is in mono, currently the same as the download at Amazon, but the version on iTunes is a 2015 remaster of the original stereo album with many different vocals.

Motown Andy
04-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Oops, I just read the other replies. I guess I should have read those first. Sorry for being redundant.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-15-2015, 12:09 AM
No matter how ya cut it and whatever ya call it, I love that album. The three-part harmonies, whether they were created by Mary & Flo and/or The Andantes, were sublime and light-years ahead of the other record companies. Sing it, girls!

jack020
04-15-2015, 01:41 AM
I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Margouleff

http://www.discogs.com/artist/578211-Amy-Herot

http://www.discogs.com/artist/344904-Joe-Gastwirt

BigAl
04-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Additionally, on the CW&P CD which I have, all the tracks are mono.
Is there a CD out there with stereo versions?

carole cucumber
04-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Stereo versions are only available as a digital download.

dba
04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your posting Andy about the 2015 version of itunes. Just gave the samples a listen and loved the full sound. I have always been a fan of this project.

sup_fan
04-16-2015, 04:03 PM
also there are 4 tracks by the SUPREMES lol on the motown unreleased 1963 cd, three are CW&P tracks and i believe they're sans Andantes. just DMF on them.

Andy? are these just the original tracks without the andantes or alt tracks?

George Solomon
04-16-2015, 04:51 PM
On Unreleased 63:
"Funny How Time Slips Away" alternate mono mix - Alternate Diana vocal, no Andantes.
"You Didn't Care" alternate mono mix. Same vocal as the released mono mix [[the stereo version has a different vocal). It has a more complete stop ending. [[The previously released mono stop ending fades on the last note)
"Lazy Bones" alternate mono mix with an alternate vocal. It also has a more complete stop ending. [[The previously released mono stop ending fades on the last note)

sup_fan
04-17-2015, 10:34 AM
great!!! thanks George!!

sup_fan
04-19-2015, 12:46 PM
so with these tracks, and then the It's Doesn't Matter alt vocal, is that it in the vaults for CW&P? any other known tracks?

calvin
04-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Interesting that several of these songs were recorded in 1963 but the album was not released until 1965. Ray Charles's "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music" was released in early 1962 and was a huge success [[with a Volume 2 out in late 1962) - was that the original motivation for this project?

sansradio
04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Interesting that several of these songs were recorded in 1963 but the album was not released until 1965. Ray Charles's "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music" was released in early 1962 and was a huge success [[with a Volume 2 out in late 1962) - was that the original motivation for this project?

For sure. Ray confounded all expectations with that release and turned the music world on its ear; above all, BG always had his finger in the wind for trends [[when not innovating in his own right).

sup_fan
04-19-2015, 10:38 PM
yes, when the girls recorded this in early 63, Ray's album was definitely an influencing factor. also no one had had any luck with identifying a "sound" for the Sups yet. they'd tried a few mary wells-esque tracks such as Your Heart Belongs to Me. they'd tried some cutesy girl group tracks - I Want a Guy, Never Again, He's Seventeen, Baby don't Go, etc. they'd tried more harder R&B with Buttered Popcorn, Let me Go the Right Way, You Bring Back Memories. they were sort of all over the place.

according to various books, Berry announced that finding a "sound" for the Sups would be a top company priority. so by early 63 you had Clarence Paul trying these country songs, HDH would start with a few of their tracks I'm Giving You your Freedom, Standing at the crossroads of love. also they did a LOT of Smokey tracks at this time too - long gone lover, breathtaking guy, mr blues, i idolize you,. norman whitfield jumped in with He Means the World to me, I'm the exception to the rule. berry also produced quite a few tracks too

most of these are contained in Disc 2 of the Where Did Our Love Go reissue set.