PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Apr 14, 9P-12M ET:The Vandellas are Coming...to P-Town!!!

test

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 07:10 AM
Folks....the Vandellas are coming...the VANDELLAS are Coming...to Provincetown Town Hall on Sat/Sun April 18 and 19. And to celebrate this event, join me on my radio show "Nightflight" live from Provincetown, tonight.... Tues Apr 14, 9P-12M ET at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/) for 3 full hours of Motown's Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...music covering 10 amazing years of hits and a catalogue filled with gems! Thanks! See you on the radio!~~~John http://www.stonewallvets.org/images/songs_7/Martha-Reeves_Vandellas_Live-1967.jpg

thanxal
04-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Glory Day!!! [[or night, in your case MJ).

Mark Desjardines
04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Martha & the Vandellas will surely generate a "Heat Wave" as they make our "seats wave" this evening!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Glory Day!!! [[or night, in your case MJ). Hope you'll be listening, Brent!!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Martha & the Vandellas will surely generate a "Heat Wave" as they make our "seats wave" this evening! Mark....THAT rendered me SPEECHLESS!! But you know....I kinda wish HDH had found some way to include your "seats wave" in their lyric.....PRICELESS! Hope to see you on the radio!

kenneth
04-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Mark....THAT rendered me SPEECHLESS!! But you know....I kinda wish HDH had found some way to include your "seats wave" in their lyric.....PRICELESS! Hope to see you on the radio!

I'm afraid Irving Berlin beat them to it! It's from the earlier "Heat Wave" that Marilyn Monroe "sang" [[kind of) in "There's No Business Like Show Business."

dba
04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Looks great. Will try and give a listen.
Where is the photo from?
How about a shameless plug for next weeks' show?
Be well MJ

kenneth
04-14-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm so sorry I'm gonna miss most of this show, but I will try to dial in for the last hour.

kenneth
04-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Where is the photo from?
Be well MJ

Looks like the Rooster Tail maybe, from the time of the "live" album.

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Where is the photo from?
Be well MJ You be well too, dba! Certainly will plug it...and no time like the present! Folks...next week, on the heels of Diana Ross' 71 birthday [[Mar 26th), SDF's own David B. Abbott [[dba) presents one of my "Listener's Choice" shows with a Diana Ross Spectacular, including tracks with the Supremes and from her solo years! David has done quite a few "Listener's Choice" shows....so don't miss this one!

sansradio
04-14-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm afraid Irving Berlin beat them to it! It's from the earlier "Heat Wave" that Marilyn Monroe "sang" [[kind of) in "There's No Business Like Show Business."

Yes...and Ethel Waters introduced it in As Thousands Cheer ​on Broadway in 1933.

kenneth
04-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Yes...and Ethel Waters introduced it in As Thousands Cheer ​on Broadway in 1933.

Interesting. Loved Ethel Waters. Ethel Merman sang it too, in a movie, maybe "Alexander's Ragtime Band."

Didn't the Monroe version change the words to "letting her feet wave" [[ridiculous 50s censorship)?

sansradio
04-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Interesting. Loved Ethel Waters. Ethel Merman sang it too, in a movie, maybe "Alexander's Ragtime Band."

Didn't the Monroe version change the words to "letting her feet wave" [[ridiculous 50s censorship)?

Not sure; I'll have to revisit it. Wouldn't be surprising, though.

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
...in the studio.....HOWDYYYY!

franjoy56
04-14-2015, 08:55 PM
...in the studio.....HOWDYYYY!ill be listening to come and gett these memories as u spin memories of the fabulous martha and the vandellas looking forward to what ever u play it was march 63 when i first heard them on t radio

franjoy56
04-14-2015, 09:04 PM
ill be listening to come and gett these memories as u spin memories of the fabulous martha and the vandellas looking forward to what ever u play it was march 63 when i first heard them on t radio
The sister who performs w them is delphene reeves

franjoy56
04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Im sending in my pledge tomorrow if ur taking requests i cant dance to that music your playing.

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 09:09 PM
ill be listening to come and gett these memories as u spin memories of the fabulous martha and the vandellas looking forward to what ever u play it was march 63 when i first heard them on t radio

Howdy Ms Franjoy.....So glad to see you!!!!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 09:10 PM
The sister who performs w them is delphene reeves

Thank you Franjoy!!!

Glenpwood
04-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Evening John!

Hope you had a glorious week. Can't wait to hear all the surprises you've dug up for tonights Martha show!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Evening John!

Hope you had a glorious week. Can't wait to hear all the surprises you've dug up for tonights Martha show! Good Evening, Mr Glen!!! Great to see you!

johnjeb
04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
I hope to be there Saturday night.

I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine in 1985 or 86 [[I have pictures, somewhere) with the Four Tops [[I was stopped from taking pictures of them with my 35mm!) at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston. Wow, just about 30 years ago!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 09:30 PM
I hope to be there Saturday night.

I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine in 1985 or 86 [[I have pictures, somewhere) with the Four Tops [[I was stopped from taking pictures of them with my 35mm!) at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston. Wow, just about 30 years ago!

Enjoy the show...good to see you, John!!

Mark Desjardines
04-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Enjoying The Martha Reeves & the Vandellas cuts you're throwing down this evening, John! They sure had their share of "disastrous tunes:" "Live Wire," Heat Wave, "Quicksand," and "Earth Quake!" Plus, a lovely tribute to the late Percy Sledge. More people should "take time to know" his music!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Enjoying The Martha Reeves & the Vandellas cuts you're throwing down this evening, John! They sure had their share of "disastrous tunes:" "Live Wire," Heat Wave, "Quicksand," and "Earth Quake!" Plus, a lovely tribute to the late Percy Sledge. Moer people should "take time to know" his music! Huh?? Oh.....I get it!!! VERY GOOOD!!!!

Glenpwood
04-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Bless You is a very underrated tune. Thanks for playing it John....

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Bless You is a very underrated tune. Thanks for playing it John.... Oh...my pleasure, Sir! It's just so purty....

Mark Desjardines
04-14-2015, 10:08 PM
John, I wanted to state that Percy's unique vocal gift brought a lot of joy to the world. Although his material, was often plaintiff and sad, his phrasing hit you right in the gut and anyone could easily relate. He will be missed!

Secondly, as a teen I had a paper route, but was careful with my earnings. I would often hang out at a neighbourhood newspaper/magazine outlet and sneak read as much of "Song Hits" and "Hit Parader" magazines as I could get away with. I remember the one rare time there was a two page feature article on Martha & Vandellas, circa 1967 complete with photos of a live gig at the Apollo in NYC. The author shared that fans surrounded the women in their dressing room and presented them with a bottle of wine - to be given to The Supremes when the Vandellas returned to Detroit! Poor Martha - I suspect this happened to her group from time to time.

patty tomato
04-14-2015, 10:20 PM
hello every one!!! been awhile since I was last here!! good to be here again.

franjoy56
04-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Thank you Franjoy!!!
Thank u for spinning youve been in love too long a great record keep em coming. Do u notice im ready for love has almost the sasme intro as you cant hurry love

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 10:24 PM
hello every one!!! been awhile since I was last here!! good to be here again.

Well.....Patty Tomato....how lovely to see you again!!!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Thank u for spinning youve been in love too long a great record keep em coming. Do u notice im ready for love has almost the sasme intro as you cant hurry love My pleasure, Franjoy! Yes....I guess there was a lot of musical "borrowing" with intros and stuff!

Glenpwood
04-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Loving the copa show. That comedy bit before Honey Chile needed work though;)

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Loving the copa show. That comedy bit before Honey Chile needed work though;) Glen...i agree...it was just STUPID!

Mark Desjardines
04-14-2015, 11:44 PM
"Ode to Billie Joe" certainly made the rounds at Motown. Love this!

midnight johnny
04-14-2015, 11:48 PM
"Ode to Billie Joe" certainly made the rounds at Motown. Love this!.........................[[*smile)....

kenneth
04-15-2015, 02:37 AM
Oh my gosh, did you play tracks from the Copa show, the one that was never released? And I missed it! Are the tracks available anywhere at all? That album's gotta be released sometime.