PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross: "Goin' Back" Single

test

longtimefan
04-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Diana's "Goin' Back" single [[written by Jerry Goffin and Carole King) is an outstanding vocal performance and arrangement. In my opinion, this could have been a real hit during that time period. Does anyone know how this single came about and why it was not promoted? I have the single [[CD), but do not recall it ever being on an "album.[[CD)." Thanks in advance. :-)

Bluebrock
04-12-2015, 02:32 PM
it was specially recorded for the European double cd "love and life"from around 2002 if memory serves. As i recall it was scheduled to be released as a single in the UK but Diana backed out of a promotional visit due to some terrorist threat and the single release was cancelled though i do believe it was released in Denmark. Another lost opportunity.
Diana's "Goin' Back" single [[written by Jerry Goffin and Carole King) is an outstanding vocal performance and arrangement. In my opinion, this could have been a real hit during that time period. Does anyone know how this single came about and why it was not promoted? I have the single [[CD), but do not recall it ever being on an "album.[[CD)." Thanks in advance. :-)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Diana Ross’ rendition of "Goin’ Back" is among Diana’s prettiest recordings ever. Carole King was said to have been deeply touched by Dusty Springfield’s beautiful rendition. I’m sure that Carole was equally impressed with Diana’s version as well. What a shame - and a waste – that such worthy recordings are left to wither and die on the vine. Thank God that we fans have a built-in knack for discovering these gems on our own.

longtimefan
04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
it was specially recorded for the European double cd "love and life"from around 2002 if memory serves. As i recall it was scheduled to be released as a single in the UK but Diana backed out of a promotional visit due to some terrorist threat and the single release was cancelled though i do believe it was released in Denmark. Another lost opportunity.

Thanks, bluebrock. I had totally forgotten that the track appears on the LOVE AND LIFE CD. I am fortunate to have both that CD as well as the single CD. Your discussion as to why the track was recorded and and why it was never promoted was enlightening. Thanks for taking the time.

reese
04-12-2015, 10:00 PM
There was a video made for it, but it wasn't anything special. It was made up of scenes from some of her previous videos.

Bluebrock
04-13-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks, bluebrock. I had totally forgotten that the track appears on the LOVE AND LIFE CD. I am fortunate to have both that CD as well as the single CD. Your discussion as to why the track was recorded and and why it was never promoted was enlightening. Thanks for taking the time.

My pleasure!!!

captainjames
04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Its funny that you bring this single up, I still play it today in my car.

Bluebrock
04-14-2015, 07:20 AM
I did hear that Diana also recorded a couple of other covers as possible inclusions on "love and life". Not sure how true this is but she was holed up in a recording studio for a week or so in London so it does sound like it could be true. Anyone know anything about this?

Sharon Davis
04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
I think this CD project was one I worked on with Diana Ross. She wanted to release a collection of love songs so, with Keith Russell assisting me, we worked on three possible projects. One I recall vividly because it was a love story from start to finish - meeting someone, the blissful joy of being with that person, and the break up. The intention was to include a trio of new songs to boost the sales pitch. When Ms Ross recorded Goin' Back she was advised - as I recall - that it could have been a mistake because of Dusty's iconic version. And I thought the single remained unpromoted because of this. Regrettably I don't have the paperwork to back this up.

Bluebrock
04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Sharon, It was never actually released as a single in the UK. A catalogue number was assigned to it and it was sent to "blues and soul" magazine for review, and then due to Diana dropping out of visiting the UK to promote it the single was hastlily withdrawn.
A few years earlier the "voice of love" compilation was released. It was a collection of Diana's favourite love songs with 3 new tracks inc "in the ones you love" which was released as a single. Diana did visit the UK to promote this and appeared on "top of the pops", "des O'Connor's Christmas show" and Clive Andersons chat show. Maybe you worked with Diana on that project?

Jaap
04-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Surprising that nobody mentions that Goin' Back was produced by Guy Chambers, one of the man behind the [[early) Robbie Williams. Although I like Ross's version, I was a bit disappointed that this was the result of the Chambers/Ross collaboration. Chambers was quite "hot" as a producer back then, particularly in the UK and Europe, because of his Robbie Williams connection. When the song came out, I was a bit disappointed because it sounded [[to me) rather dated. The single was released in the Netherlands [[and I think the Dutch EMI was responsible for the music video, which was indeed a montage of earlier music videos). It did chart in the Top 100 but wasn't a big hit. It was the final solo song of Ross to chart in the Dutch charts [[her Westlife duet charted after that). The single has as second track "Not Over You Yet" which they misprinted on the single sleeve as "Not Over You Jet" [["Jet" being how one pronounces "Yet" in Dutch).

jobeterob
04-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Dusty Springfield is one of those iconic singers, like Diana, who's songs you are foolish to toy with and redo.

Diana's Goin Back is very nice but I think Dusty's remains the definitive version.

It is the same for those who redo Diana's songs; it's a risky endeavour and rarely if ever is much added and often it is slightly embarrassing for the people that redo the songs.

lakedistrictlad1
04-15-2015, 04:04 AM
I'm confused. I remember buying the cd single here in the U.K - and at the time I thought it was her latest chart release. If it was never an official single, where did all these cd singles come from?

Bluebrock
04-15-2015, 04:33 AM
lakedistrictlad1 - I am only going off what my friend who worked for EMI at the time told me.
I wanted to buy the single but was told it never officially released. I don't doubt you but I am intrigued as to where you purchased it from? What other tracks were on the single?

Jaap
04-15-2015, 05:00 AM
In the UK, "Goin' Back" was only released as a promo single, one with only Goin' Back and one with two additional remixed tracks for EDIAND:
http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-Goin-Back/release/3198549
http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-Goin-Back/release/4889429

In the Netherlands, "Goin' Back" was released as an official single: http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-Goin-Back/release/2219544

Bluebrock
04-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks for clearing that up jaap. It also explains why it didn't chart in the UK.

lakedistrictlad1
04-16-2015, 05:53 AM
So I must have the promo version. I never knew. I just thought it was a regular cd single - though being in a paper sleeve is a good hint it is a promo.