PDA

View Full Version : Detroit '67 Book

test

Amithesameboy
04-05-2015, 06:04 AM
Very surprised to see that no-one - unless I have missed it - has posted about this superb new book by Stuart Cosgrove that has just come out in the UK. It could hardly be more pertinent to this forum.
It is a big, bold effort, very well organised and excellently researched and covers the 12 turbulent months of that key year. Centre stage are The Supremes, but Cosgrove also covers the challenges the city faced at the time such as the riots, obviously, and the gentle but inevitable slide into harder times that the city experienced as a result of the declining auto industry. I admire how even - handed he is on issues like Florence Ballard's ousting from the group, and despite some of the worst proof reading I've seen for a long time, it is a highly recommended read to anyone who is even remotely interested in the city.

RobertZ
04-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Very surprised to see that no-one - unless I have missed it - has posted about this superb new book by Stuart Cosgrove that has just come out in the UK. It could hardly be more pertinent to this forum.
It is a big, bold effort, very well organised and excellently researched and covers the 12 turbulent months of that key year. Centre stage are The Supremes, but Cosgrove also covers the challenges the city faced at the time such as the riots, obviously, and the gentle but inevitable slide into harder times that the city experienced as a result of the declining auto industry. I admire how even - handed he is on issues like Florence Ballard's ousting from the group, and despite some of the worst proof reading I've seen for a long time, it is a highly recommended read to anyone who is even remotely interested in the city.
Hi - there was a prior thread about this book, maybe a month ago. My library is looking for an inter-library lending copy for me; I really look forward to reading it. Perhaps I'll buy aUK copy if the library can't find it. Thanks for the post - I'm glad to be reminded about what will be sure to be a very interesting read.

snakepit
04-05-2015, 11:05 AM
got my copy yesterday. had a quick glance, so far it looks very good.
Will get around to reading soon

I did post about this in the Motown forum, but it was largely ignored. Didn't have DRATS in the title I guess.....but this book is full of DRATS coverage.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-06-2015, 12:54 AM
SameBoy, it might help to generate interest if you were to provide an Amazon.uk link for Detroit 1967. I checked in Amazon [[U.S.). I found books available covering the 1967 riots, but there was no book available for [I]Detroit 1967[I] in general.

phil
04-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Here it is Gary : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Detroit-67-Year-That-Changed/dp/0993107508

carole cucumber
04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
SameBoy, it might help to generate interest if you were to provide an Amazon.uk link for Detroit 1967. I checked in Amazon [[U.S.). I found books available covering the 1967 riots, but there was no book available for [I]Detroit 1967[I] in general.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-67-Year-That-Changed/dp/0993107508/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428332382&sr=1-1&keywords=Detroit+67

Philles/Motown Gary
04-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Phil and Carole.

phil
04-06-2015, 04:21 PM
You're welcome Gary ! I'm interested in this book, too, and I think I'll buy it soon.

Soulbhoy
04-19-2015, 03:47 AM
9352I recently went to a book signing of the book and i am inthe middle of reading it ,The author Stuart Cosgrove is an avid rare soul collector and a great knowledge of Motown935093519353

phil
04-19-2015, 04:30 AM
Here's a short film with the author, Stuart Cosgrove : http://www.soul-source.co.uk/_/soul-articles/stuart-cosgrove-soul-man-short-film-r3094