PDA

View Full Version : Stop In the name of Love hits number 1- 50 yrs ago

test

franjoy56
03-28-2015, 10:04 AM
STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE, the most famous supremes single hit number one on the billboard pop chart march 27 thru april 3 for the 4th time.. It needs to be celebrated for its uniqueness, especially the opening with its haunting organ that swells as the record progresses [[like come see about me with its drum roll progression before it)
The record is notable for becoming a grammy nomination for best pop contemporary song of 1966 loosing to flowers on the wall by the statler brothers, and the song is also included in the rolling stones 500 songs that shaped rock and roll with ychl. Diana mary and flo record a first version followed by a second single version that is said to include one or more of the andantes with the supremes, either version are worthy of a number one record. It finished number 20 on the top of 1965. The song has been included in practically every supremes medley that group has ever performed on stage

jobeterob
03-28-2015, 12:46 PM
It probably is their most well known song.

arr&bee
03-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Yes a great song...that's gets played to death...[don't those stations have any other supremes songs on the playlist]???

florence
03-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Interestingly only one of three Supremes' "solo" singles to officially be certified GOLD.

captainjames
03-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Dont forget " Baby LoVe "

franjoy56
03-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Dont forget " Baby LoVe " Its hard to believe the supremes had sales of less than 3 singles that were 500,00 or more which warrants a gold record. Gordy didn't join RIAA during the 60s and therefore weren't award gold records from the industry.

Baby Love, you cant hurry love, Stop In he name o love, Love child, I hearA symphony, ad Stoned love, among others all sold over 500,000 during its chart run, maybe oter can weigh in on this im not an expert.

jobeterob
03-28-2015, 06:49 PM
where did our love go, someday we'll be together, I'm gonna make you love me

supremester
03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
According to session notes and Motown catalog experts/historians, Mary & Flo are not on the Stop! single mix at all. They were added to the mix with The Andantes for the stereo mixes. Why exactly, I don't know.

RIAA requirements for Gold singles in the 60's was 1 million units. I like the sales data because it's interesting to see what was popular back in the day vs what I preferred and what endured. Stop! was by far not the biggest Supremes single upon release, yet it is the most iconic today.
My guesses to million sellers based on chart facts from all three publications and competing verified gold singles:

Where Did our Love Go [[Platinum)
Baby Love [[Platinum Plus)
Come See About Me [[Platinum)
Stop!
I Hear A Symphony
You Can't Hurry Love [[Platinum)
You Keep Me Hangin On
Reflections
Love Child [[Platinum)
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[Platinum)
Someday [[Platinum)

Perhaps A Million:
Back In My Arms Again
My World Is Empty
Love Is Here
The Happening
Stoned Love

Motown used many pressing plants and had very close ties to their distributors. I've been told that royalties were never paid on shipments for a few certain plants - yet they counted in chart points. Who knows what's true. I DO know that I rarely saw a Supremes cut out 45 with the same type face as on the singles I saw in stores. There's a lot of money to be saved on product that you sell but don't have to pay royalties or taxes on...........

STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE, the most famous supremes single hit number one on the billboard pop chart march 27 thru april 3 for the 4th time.. It needs to be celebrated for its uniqueness, especially the opening with its haunting organ that swells as the record progresses [[like come see about me with its drum roll progression before it)
The record is notable for becoming a grammy nomination for best pop contemporary song of 1966 loosing to flowers on the wall by the statler brothers, and the song is also included in the rolling stones 500 songs that shaped rock and roll with ychl. Diana mary and flo record a first version followed by a second single version that is said to include one or more of the andantes with the supremes, either version are worthy of a number one record. It finished number 20 on the top of 1965. The song has been included in practically every supremes medley that group has ever performed on stage

jobeterob
03-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Where Did Our Love Go generally is said to have sold more than 2 Million Copies on release and exceeded and the songs that followed it up to You Can't Hurry Love.

Was going to say the same thing about no Supremes on Stop in the Name of Love but that kind of burns some people.

marv2
03-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Wow, Fran, really? We really getting old or as Mary says "old, old teenagers"! LOL!

franjoy56
03-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Where Did Our Love Go generally is said to have sold more than 2 Million Copies on release and exceeded and the songs that followed it up to You Can't Hurry Love.

Was going to say the same thing about no Supremes on Stop in the Name of Love but that kind of burns some people.
Well somdbody made a mistake as far as im concerned the supremes mary and flo are on both the promo version alone and the commercial version, you can hear ballards voice bleeding all through the commercial release. the complete singles booklet also says mary and flos perky retorts with a little help from marlene barrow . It bothers me that people try to rewrite history with facts that are not proven, and if by chance the andantes are on sitnol alone on the commercial,single which i doubt, it was molded on the 1st alterrnate release rec jan 5,7,11 which sounds better the released version was recorded on the same day according to the same booklet jan 5,7,,11 and feb 8. Stop in the name of love is no love child it belongs to DMF.

franjoy56
03-28-2015, 09:30 PM
The first version of stop in the name of love with just mary and flo c be be heard on the supremes box set, the backg vocals sound similar to the released version except there are a voice or two altos in the released mix. I am just providing facts found in the scripts of the records not arguments.

franjoy56
03-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Marv c u post the sitnol performance from the sounds of motown from england

marv2
03-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Marv c u post the sitnol performance from the sounds of motown from england

Yes of course......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBkiBbO4_4

milven
03-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Loved that performance by the Supremes. I think the reason that STOP is so iconic to the group is because it presents them as a group and not a lead singer with two back ups. They usually sang it standing side by side as a group , they all did the same choreography and a significant part of the song had the lead singer singing in harmony with the group.

The three ladies had such wonderful harmony when they performed as a group

supremester
03-29-2015, 04:39 PM
I know, I don't think you are arguing - it's just a convo. I happen to agree with Andy & George on this - I don't hear Flo and never did. I just assumed she had just eaten chocolate or something as she doesn't sound as clear. Either way, to me, it's not taking anything away from DMF - we all know it was a group effort and that The Andantes were part of the mix - like the Funk Brothers. It doesn't change my opinion of anything about their magic.

The first version of stop in the name of love with just mary and flo c be be heard on the supremes box set, the backg vocals sound similar to the released version except there are a voice or two altos in the released mix. I am just providing facts found in the scripts of the records not arguments.

franjoy56
03-29-2015, 06:13 PM
I know, I don't think you are arguing - it's just a convo. I happen to agree with Andy & George on this - I don't hear Flo and never did. I just assumed she had just eaten chocolate or something as she doesn't sound as clear. Either way, to me, it's not taking anything away from DMF - we all know it was a group effort and that The Andantes were part of the mix - like the Funk Brothers. It doesn't change my opinion of anything about their magic. I think that is a healthy response we a love bite or two of chocolate. STOP IN THE NAM OF LOVE iis the jewel of their records.

supremester
03-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Today, 03:12 PM #17 [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?14020-Stop-In-the-name-of-Love-hits-number-1-50-yrs-ago&p=278716#post278716) LUKE SAID: Very true milven. And the arm movement is known by almost everyone on the planet. A Motown employee told me Mary and Flo are on every version of it.

Luke, Who was this employee? When did you discuss it?

floyjoy678
03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
I had speculated for a while that there were more people on "Stop In the Name of Love" besides Mary and Florence before it was even revealed and Louvaine Demps confirmed for me years ago back in the yahoo groups days that it is indeed herself, Jackie, Marlene, MARY and FLORENCE on the song in the backgrounds. I think people will hear what they want to hear, I personally do hear Florence on the song especially during the "Think it over"s. One big clue for me was when they lip-synched to the record early in its release Mary and Flo would lip to the inaudible "oooh"'s during the verses. I also don't believe that mumbo jumbo of Flo not being on "You Can't Hurry Love" but that's another story :)

franjoy56
03-30-2015, 04:46 PM
I had speculated for a while that there were more people on "Stop In the Name of Love" besides Mary and Florence before it was even revealed and Louvaine Demps confirmed for me years ago back in the yahoo groups days that it is indeed herself, Jackie, Marlene, MARY and FLORENCE on the song in the backgrounds. I think people will hear what they want to hear, I personally do hear Florence on the song especially during the "Think it over"s. One big clue for me was when they lip-synched to the record early in its release Mary and Flo would lip to the inaudible "oooh"'s during the verses. I also don't believe that mumbo jumbo of Flo not being on "You Can't Hurry Love" but that's another story :)I Well as it stands
flo is in onl the supremes singles except for ychl whiich is a speculation. Thanks floyjoy for ur input? I wonder what was the reason for the extra voices on sitnol

jobeterob
03-30-2015, 05:24 PM
All you ever hear is they "were filling it out" "going for a certain sound they wanted".

It shouldn't be viewed as a crime that the Producers added or eliminated or whatever they did. They just played around and picked the best sound they heard.

Why such sensitivity?

It's not like they switched up Diana!

floyjoy678
03-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Mainly because you like to over exaggerate the use of the Andantes on the Supremes hits just so you can get a rise out of certain members.

jobeterob
03-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Mainly because you like to over exaggerate the use of the Andantes on the Supremes hits just so you can get a rise out of certain members.

Double Like

But it's such a small thing really; no one knows or cares except maybe 1500 superfans. The Supremes appeared for years singing it together, often in a straight line.

You know this stuff pretty well to see Mary and Florence singing their actual parts on tv instead of the Andantes parts!

Well said Floyjoy; that's a good post.

franjoy56
03-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Double Like

But it's such a small thing really; no one knows or cares except maybe 1500 superfans. The Supremes appeared for years singing it together, often in a straight line.

You know this stuff pretty well to see Mary and Florence singing their actual parts on tv instead of the Andantes parts!

Well said Floyjoy; that's a good post.mary and flo never sang andantes parts they sang supremes parts