PDA

View Full Version : Supremes: At the Copa vs. Farewell

test

smark21
11-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes, another Supremes thread. I finally now have both the Copa and the Farewell albums. It was interesting to play them back to back as you can hear how the act matured as nightclub performers. I prefer Farewell--the set list is better and Diana and Mary had both become slick, seasoned performers.

sup_fan
11-27-2010, 05:04 PM
agree - the young sups were cute but by the time of farewell they really had developed strong stage personas

captainjames
11-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Copa was good, Talk of the Town was better and Farewell was pure showmanship.

carlo
11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
The At the Copa album is a little different in the sense that it isn't completely live. Apparently Diana went into the studio and overdubbed a lot of her vocals on the live recordings.

miss_lish
11-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Honestly, I enjoy the Copa the most. Maybe it's for sentimental reasons, the Girls, hitting the big time, but also that Copa orchestra kicked ass. Farewell, was polished to an extreme. Miss Ross's ad libs on the fade out on Didn't We are too delicious. I would like to know which gown she was wearing when she performed this song. Knowing her style at the time, I know she was working those shoulders and arms overtime as the song fades. When I read Taraborelli's version of Miss Ross's interaction with Claudine Robinson and then compared it to what was actually on the recording, the differences between the two are glaring and provide a riveting example of what "dramatic license" can be. All of these should be available on DVD and it is just sickening that they are not. Now I must go and listen to Talk of the Town, another supremely polished event.

nomis
11-28-2010, 09:05 PM
The Copa has a complete over dub by Diana,The feed for her microphone didnt record clearly enough in the taping...

stephanie
11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
I like the cover of Talk of the Town better but that is about it. I like the Copa to hear Flo and Mary on Make Someone Happy and I Am Woman. Talk of the Town was slicker but the music on that album was too fast for me.

marybrewster
11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I'll probably get boo-ed but I'm not a fan of either "Copa" or "Farewell". That 12 hour "Sunshine" medley is gagsville.

If I'm in the mood for some "live" Supremes, I always go to "Talk of the Town". Perfection!

Motown_M_1056
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll probably get boo-ed but I'm not a fan of either "Copa" or "Farewell". That 12 hour "Sunshine" medley is gagsville.

If I'm in the mood for some "live" Supremes, I always go to "Talk of the Town". Perfection!

I'm with you on this. I don't like either the Copa or Farewell. But If I had to pick one, it would be the Copa LP. Something was wrong on Farewell. You could feel the tension, in my opinion. Some of the stage patter seemed forced. Diana was eager to quit the Supremes and they were glad to see her go. It shows on Farewell. But this is my opinion [[watch someone tell me my opinion isn't mine). Deke Richards said he did a lot of editing of those recorded shows.
One Supreme's mic was too loud and she was practically yelling on some songs; The other's mic wasn't loud enough. Diana seemed to be ignoring the other two and doing whatever she wanted.
Talk of the Town is better and the live disc included in the Supremes box is the closest we will get to hearing what a Supremes''show of all hits would have been like

skooldem1
11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
The Copa has a complete over dub by Diana,The feed for her microphone didnt record clearly enough in the taping...

Has this ever been confirmed?

smark21
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't sense any tension on Farewell. Though scripted, the patter and dialogue between Mary and Diana is very well performed and seems spontaneous. They had a good chemistry, and both come across as very polished performers. Copa seems tense at times, especially in Diana's between song line delivery. It was as if she wanted to make sure she recited her lines correctly word for word so that Berry wouldn't criticize her after the show. IN terms of overall entertainment, Talk of the Town is the best of the Supremes live albums as it's well assembled with great material throughout. Copa is very charming, the band sounds great, but some of the material just doesn't seem a natural fit for the Supremes, though they put the songs across. Rock a Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody is not a favorite of mine. Farewell, though it's edited and assembled, has a documentary type feel to it and has the most stage patter and it gives me the greatest impression of what it was like to experience a Supremes show when the group was at their peak. Let the Sunshine IN is very long, but it's interesting to hear Diana work the audience, approach the people, let loose from the script and to hear an occasional comment or remark from Mary as Diana makes her way through the room.

miss_lish
11-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Listen again Smark21, when Mary reintroduces Miss Ross as "the last of the red-hot mammas." That was certainly unscripted, and Miss Ross's hesitant "Okay, I'll take that." was laced with an unstated, "Okay, where is this heifer going with this?" Mary's wailing in the background seemed to be in direct retaliation of Askey's advice to Miss Ross to "Do yourself, baby..". There are many interesting moments going on during Farewell. Another one I've often wondered about is when they are about to go into Aquarius, Miss Ross goes to someone, "Oh shutup!" LOL! Who was she talking too? This is what Miss Lish craves to know. AND, just were the hell was Ernestine?! Dammit!

bradsupremes
11-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Listen again Smark21, when Mary reintroduces Miss Ross as "the last of the red-hot mammas." That was certainly unscripted, and Miss Ross's hesitant "Okay, I'll take that." was laced with an unstated, "Okay, where is this heifer going with this?" Mary's wailing in the background seemed to be in direct retaliation of Askey's advice to Miss Ross to "Do yourself, baby..". There are many interesting moments going on during Farewell. Another one I've often wondered about is when they are about to go into Aquarius, Miss Ross goes to someone, "Oh shutup!" LOL! Who was she talking too? This is what Miss Lish craves to know. AND, just were the hell was Ernestine?! Dammit!

Oh please! The dialogue between the two was fun without any sort of intended hurtful jabs. Diana's "Get back to your microphone!" was playful with no harm intended and you can hear Mary laugh when she says it. Believe what you want, but these ladies DIDN'T hate each other. Sure tensions were high and all three girls were ready to embark on their new adventures, but I highly doubt they hated each other like some people make it out to be. It's funny you mention Mary "wailing" in the background because I hear Cindy WAY more than I do Mary. Cindy was far more comfortable at this point to sing up and out and it is heard all over this final performance.

As for performances, I much prefer "Live at London's Talk of The Town" the best. That was really a tight live performance. It had the best song selection, the orchestra really had it together and the girls were at their peak.

miss_lish
11-30-2010, 01:46 AM
My darling; you may have misunderstood; we were discussing tension, not jabs. As for hearing Cindy way more than Mary, we apparently listen with a very different set of ears.

Baby, it's not all that serious, I am just sharing my interpretations from the recording, which eventually were underlined when Mary wrote about these events; especially the part about her "wailing" in the background. LOL!

I certainly am hopeful you didn't cull from this post that I was inferring that Miss Ross and Mary hate one another. First of all, I don't particularly care if they do or not, and secondly, most of us on this Forum would have no idea how they feel about one another. An interesting question might be, why do y'all care so much about a personal relationship between two women y'all don't know? LOL! And yes, Brad, I am aware that you have a relationship with Mary.

reese
11-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Of the two albums, I am a bit partial to the Copa album, because they still sound like a true group. But the FAREWELL album does illustrate just how much they had grown as entertainers.

Re the patter, I would think that most of it was scripted. Adlibs would have thrown everyone off. I don't sense tension. I do think that some of the lines can be misinterpreted because we are missing the visual. It's like listening to their version of YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU, and then seeing the performance on Ed Sullivan. Then it makes more sense.

johnjeb
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
I saw The Supremes 8 times between 1966 and 1969.

In 1966 it was a variation of The Copa show. In late 1967 & early 1968 variations of Talk Of The Town.

In late 1969 I saw 4 shows in as many months which were song-for-song, line-by-line and word-for-word the same as The Farewell show.

Their shows were SCRIPTED. Not much was spontaneous although it always appeared as such since they are/were seasoned and professional entertainers.

sup_fan
11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
no surprise here - i like all 3 albums lol. but for different reasons

Copa is fun but i think the RECORD is too put together. what i mean is that i think they've cut too much of the chatter, spontaneity, etc. in Randy's book he mentioned that they did a snippet of a song popular on broadway at the time. it's that little stuff that's missing. and while the recording quality isn't the best, it's still fun

Talk of Town is totally polished and i think definitely represents what the DRATS were like. polished to a high gloss finish. like they took all of the training and work and talent used at Copa and they've perfected it even more. better band with more musicians and strings, more sophisticated medleys, bigger wigs, more glamorous sequin gowns etc

Farewell seems to be the next step of the evolution. i too believe it's totally scripted but the material [[both stage patter and song) seem to be a bit more adult. it's like they were still kids at the copa, young ladies at Talk and then adults at Farewell. which in actuality, they were. they give a more mature performance at Farewell

marybrewster
11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Another one I've often wondered about is when they are about to go into Aquarius, Miss Ross goes to someone, "Oh shutup!" LOL! Who was she talking too? This is what Miss Lish craves to know!

Delcina Wilson

marybrewster
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I saw The Supremes 8 times between 1966 and 1969.

In 1966 it was a variation of The Copa show. In late 1967 & early 1968 variations of Talk Of The Town.

In late 1969 I saw 4 shows in as many months which were song-for-song, line-by-line and word-for-word the same as The Farewell show.

Their shows were SCRIPTED. Not much was spontaneous although it always appeared as such since they are/were seasoned and professional entertainers.

Thank you johnjeb.

randy_russi
11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
They actually performed Rock-a-bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody on TV. It may have been Sammy Davis, Jr. Show or
Dean Martin Show. They also performed Mother Dear on the same show.
Their recording of Rock-a-bye that was only issued about two years ago on Cd was very well done. It was a staple
in their performance for quite some time.
"Live" lps don't always contain true "live" performances. In the early days of Motown, Mary Wells said Berry would
have the performers go in the studio and "doctor" the recordings with applause, etc.

randy_russi
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Or maybe it was the Red Skelton Show. You know, at that time in the '60s, there were so many variety shows. Basically
because so many entertainers could really perform "live".

miss_lish
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Delcina Wilson

LMAO @ marybrewster!

rod_rick
11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I enjoyed all 3 live lp's for different reasons.I like Farewell because the vocals are more up front. Live At The Talk Of The Town because song collections and the Copa because the harmony was on point.The draw back on the Copa imo was the over dubbed vocals and Florence was a bit to up front at times, kind of lost the balance of the harmony. Could have done with out the long as Let The Sunshine In. Other wise, great lp's all 3.

captainjames
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I think its ironic that the three shows we are discussing have never been on DVD or video. The Copa will remain dear to our hearts [[or most of us) because Flo is there. Those girls really had grown by the time Diana said "Farewell", they were at the top of their game. It is a shame we will never have that moment on tape.

bradsupremes
12-03-2010, 02:01 AM
I thought the Farewell performance was taped. I assume the BBC recorded the Talk of The Town performance too and aired it. I'm sure the tape still exists in the BBC archives.

rod_rick
12-03-2010, 02:02 AM
There is a version of the Talk of the Town show dvd

thaperson
12-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Johnjeb great post.

Do you remember some differences in the shows? I was always curious if they sang "Then" or "Does your mama know about me?" live.

RossHolloway
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I too love all three albums. I would love to have Hippo do a deluxe version of At the Copa and include the untouched recordings [[surely Motown recorded more than just one night of the groups premiere there..)and then include the songs that didn't make the album cut, and then the groups 1967 performance there too. Would be an awesome set.

johnjeb
12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I wish I had better recall of all the shows by Motown acts that I saw in the 60s.

What I recall from The Supremes shows was that they did not always sing their latest hits! I don't recall that they ever sang any non-hits from albums or B-sides. Of course having played the albums so many times through the years it's hard to separate the recordings from the live shows, especially the first couple that I saw.

When I first saw them in February 1966 "My World Is Empty Without You" had just entered the Billboard Top Ten at #8 but yet was not part of this performance. It was pretty much The Copa show as what is on record, with a couple of other hits included such as "Where..." and "...Symphony". I was surprised that they were doing a show of standards for a predominantly teenage [[myself included) audience at a university.

One interesting tidbit is that they lost power to their mics. First Diana's died and she ran over to Mary's mic. Then Flo's went out and she joined the other two at center stage. Then Mary's mic was gone and they were singing without benefit of amplification. This all happened within about a minute's time before sound was restored. Nice to see the showmanship and professionalism without missing a beat. They sounded wonderful!

Years later I was able to see some pictures from this show and I think they were wearing the gowns from the HDH album. The show was at Brandeis University in the gym [[I saw the Four Tops there too!). In the 1980s I had a pool membership at this school. One day when I was coming out of the locker room I wandered down a corridor and saw the staircase that led to the gym. The very one The Supremes used in 1966. I remember when they appeared at the top of the stairs standing together for a moment before they proceeded to the stage as the audience erupted in cheers and applause. Very exciting. Well, needless to say I walked up those stairs and relived the moment. For the record, I was not in a gown or my Speedo. Although my hair looked nice and I was glowing!

When I saw them in 1968 "Forever Came Today" was the latest single but not part of the act. I sat so far away it was all a big pink blur. I remember nothing.

In August 1967 [[Cindy had just joined the group) I saw them with The Temptations as the opening act. I was hoping they would sing together in an encore or as part of The Supremes set, but that did not happen. Neither did it occur when Stevie Wonder opened for them in 1969. [[I also saw a double bill of The Temptations and Gladys Knight and The Pips and they did not sing together either.)

In 1969 The Supremes show was almost identical to The Farewell album except "Didn't We" was not part of any of the four shows that I saw. In one show from August 1969 Diana sat on the edge of the stage [[it was a theater in-the-round, so not really suited for this in order for everyone to see), wearing the copper-colored gown from the Right On album she sang "My Man" while reading the sheet music, stating it was a new song for her. I can't recall if "It's Alright With Me" was part of any of the shows I saw.

That was also the show in which Cindy killed a spider on the stage. Standing regally in her spot in her elegant Right On gown while Diana started the intro to "The Impossible Dream" Cindy gracefully removed her shoe and bent down and slapped the stage and replaced her shoe on her foot and resumed her pose as if nothing had happened. Mary doubled-over in laughter and then the audience erupted as well. Diana and Cindy chatted briefly and Diana jokingly announced that Cindy had saved her life and restarted the song from the top. I was informed that the next day's newspaper mentioned this incident and stated that both of them were frightened of spiders.

Missing from the 1969 shows were the singles: "No Matter What Sign You Are", "The Composer", and the "Young Folks". Can't recall if they did "I'm Living In Shame" [[I don't like that song very much.)

When I saw them with The Temptations The Supremes wore tuxedos which I thought rather odd since the guys did as well! Another time I saw them in regular street clothes. Of course on both occasions I was hoping for some fabulous gowns. I was not disappointed in 1969 when they wore the Right On gowns. They looked elegant and the strobe light during Reflections highlighted the beauty of those gowns. Their giant silhouettes on the theater tent's ceiling and walls was awesome and something I remember to this day. I also saw them in the yellow gowns from the Aquarius medley in the GIT Special and their final performance on Ed Sullivan.

At my alma mater the University of Massachusetts I saw their first show. After the performance I ran out to the back of the building knowing they had another show. It seemed The Supremes were in an adjoining building. When the music started they came out of the building and had to proceed down a bumpy grassy area and squeeze between two parked cars. I forget if they were wearing the Right On or TCB gowns but they were tight. I was standing about a foot away, told Diana she was fabulous in the first show. She ignored me as she attempted to navigate this obstacle course. I realized the orchestra was ahead of her because she kept repeating "I'm coming, I'm coming" as the opening bars to TCB were heard from the auditorium. [[I like the song but never have had this response to hearing it! Sorry couldn't resist. But that's exactly what she was saying as she walked past me. So I'm just reporting the facts,[and distorting the meaning for my own personal perverse pleasure - before someone else did].) Needless to say she didn't miss her cue and hit the stage just in time.

Sorry I rambled on for so long but the memories kept pouring in. I guess it's time to listen to my LIVE albums. I haven't played them in many years. It's hard to choose a favorite but I usually prefer The Copa. So I'll play them in order of release. It will be a nice travel down memory lane for my 61st birthday on the 12th - three days before Cindy's. Maybe I'll kill a couple of spiders with a high heel to celebrate in style.

ralpht
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Interesting post, Johnjeb. Thanks for taking the time.

RossHolloway
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for sharing those memories JohnJeb.

captainjames
12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
JohnJeb that was a fun read -thats what this site should be for.

stephanie
12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Johnjeb you sound like a book keep them coming.

smark21
12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Excellent post JohnJeb, thank you.

sup_fan
12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
thanks much john! very interesting. you ever see them post 1970? the MJC group or Diana solo? feel free to continue on with more memories! :)

luke
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Fascinating, thanks John. I saw them in 1965 at Villanova U. and the DC5 headlined!! Cindy said at Farewell "it was all acting" and mucho tension. The mic incident above reminds me of another story-Flo stated Diana's mic went out and Diana went over and snatched Mary's and Mary snatched it back and on and on!

nomis
12-07-2010, 05:48 AM
damn i just went to buy a copa cd from amazon - its going for a fortune! im not gonna shell out on that i payed enough for farewell..time for a re release Hip O help me out...[[Theyve been quiet recently havent they?)

marxthespot_
12-10-2010, 12:53 AM
As stated above, the vocal overdubbing on "Copa" is fairly obvious....On "Farewell", Mary Wilson's vocal on "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" was also a later studio re-dub.....

topdiva1
12-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Copa was good, Talk of the Town was better and Farewell was pure showmanship.

Well put - these albums show the growth, style, and showmanship of the ultimate girl group. There was always the thought that Ballard was on some cuts of Talk Of The Town - but who knows - who was on what - with The Supremes. Still all Classic Recordings.

johnjeb
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
thanks much john! very interesting. you ever see them post 1970? the MJC group or Diana solo? feel free to continue on with more memories! :)

I'm glad forum readers enjoyed my post. As I was typing the memories kept pouring out. I'm glad they were happy ones otherwise I'd be in therapy right now.

Yes sup_fan, I continued to see The Supremes and Diana Ross into the 70s. I limited my recollections to the 60s Supremes as the thread topic was their LIVE albums.

I saw JMC twice. After one show I saw them walk into a late-night deli-restaurant where I was enjoying a snack after their show. I immediately ran over to Mary, like a crazed-fan, and gushed and fawned until she was ushered to her booth upstairs. Before I left I approached them for an autograph which they obliged. [[Maybe I need to call that therapist now.)

I saw SMC do two shows one night in early 1975 at a cabaret club. [[Formerly The Monticello dinner theater where Diana Ross did her trial-run of her first solo performances in early 1970.) Mary was pregnant with her first child at the time. We sat at a table next to the stage, eye-level with their knees! I saw that the hem of Mary's gown had been let down, most likely due to her condition, and that threads were hanging everywhere. [[I suppose being that close I would have seen beads missing from a glitter gown if they had worn something like that.) We went up on stage and danced with the ladies both shows, probably during Love Child. Not a large crowd on this Sunday evening in the suburbs at a relatively unknown club. Surprisingly one of our friends who was wearing $40 designer jeans [[remember this is 1975) was not allowed into the club because of his attire.

I've seen Mary Wilson perform several times.

As for Diana Ross, I saw her about a dozen times through the years. Unfortunately I didn't catch the show at The Monticello in Framingham Mass [[not far from where I saw DMC at the Carousel theater in 67 & 69) as I was away in college. I saw her many times in Boston and New York.

Not too much stands out in my mind, in particular. I do recall that when I saw an Evening with Diana Ross in 1976 my orchestra seats were top price at $12 [[compared to the $6 I paid when I first saw DMF in 1966).

In 1978 I saw DR at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. It was the show similar to the Las Vegas show which features several songs from The Boss LP. Her current album in 1978 was the cigarette album in which she sang one or two songs from that so-so album [[in my opinion). One song that stood out for me was Do You Know. She sang that whole song standing at a mic and didn't bridge into Mountain. When she finished singing she just stood at the mic and let the orchestra finish the musical ending of that song. I loved that it was so true to the original recording. Never heard her do it like that again. Too bad.

In May 1979 I saw the same show, more or less. Surprisingly, although The Boss single and album were released in early June not one song, or picture or hint of that album was part of this show. Go figure!?

I was a bit POd when the album came out, and that it was so good, that we hadn't been treated to a sneak preview of any song or even the cover when I had seen her just a few short weeks prior to the release. Although I shouldn't have been surprised, since, as I stated in my previous post, The Supremes didn't sing some of their latest songs in shows when I saw them in the 60s.

Basically prior to 1980 albums or songs from albums, with a few exceptions, weren't featured in Motown performers' shows. I think this all changed in the 1980s. As I continued to see DR off and on in the 80s and 90s there seemed to be more of an effort to include a few songs from the latest or upcoming album.

The last time I saw DR was in 1997 at a theater tent on Cape Cod. It had been pouring all day and continued to deluge during the entire show. She had to sing over the heavy rain pounding the tent. She did well. She sang songs from the Take Me Higher album.

I haven't seen her since. I'm kicking myself for not going to her recent show in 2010. It sounded like a great show. Since Boston was the first stop on the tour I didn't have the benefit of reviews to encourage me to buy a ticket.

In 2010 I opted to go back to that Cape Cod theater tent to see someone I have never seen before - Aretha Franklin. I'm glad I made that choice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011 TO SOULFUL DETROIT MEMBERS & LURKERS!

smark21
12-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks JohnJeb for sharing more memories. How times have changed! Interesting that the 70's Supremes were still having people come on stage to dance to Love Child. Do you recall anything from the solo Mary Wilson shows you've seen?

topdiva1
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Still - guys - in the short few years between these two live albums - you can see a marked growth and refinement of a great act. Very new at The Copa and very polished at Farewell - also keep in mind the times had changed quickly - and by all written accounts the girls had been through personal and collective hell - all while smiling.

nomis
01-01-2011, 01:51 AM
..Ive only heard the Copa for the first time this week and its a sophisticated presentation..its so far removed from their teenager single buying market...Diana handles the material with such finesse...all that time and energy and tension that went into that show was worth it - the results speak for themselves..Americas number one recording group turned out a polished nightclub routine that stands amoung the best [[Garland,King Cole,Sinatra etc)...

topdiva1
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
..Ive only heard the Copa for the first time this week and its a sophisticated presentation..its so far removed from their teenager single buying market...Diana handles the material with such finesse...all that time and energy and tension that went into that show was worth it - the results speak for themselves..Americas number one recording group turned out a polished nightclub routine that stands amoung the best [[Garland,King Cole,Sinatra etc)...

It just shows Nomis - that with all the inner turmoil and conflict that has been written about, surrounding The Supremes at this period - the ladies remained professionals and turned out a classic live performance that stands the test of time.

RossHolloway
07-01-2011, 08:57 AM
HEY Motown Universal! Where is our deluxe version of the Copa recordings 65-67??

franjoy56
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I played both the Copa and The Talk of the Town tonite, and I must say both shows are great, but I give the Copa Show higher rank for several reasons, the show seems more like a group show with a fantastic rhythm section that is second to none, Flo's vocals come in loud and clear coupled with Mary's alto heard on almost all of the tracks. the comic chatter on Your Nobody with both Mary and Flo getting solo dialogue turns thanks to Flo's comic timing. The hits songs are given full treatments as opposed to the Talk of the Town which features a medley of their biggest hits which is one of the best hit medleys I ever heard. Their show by the talk of the town had matured into a vegas style act complete with all the glitz, gone were the Supremes feel of the groups harmonies. Mary mic is turned up Cindy is hardly audible but it is still a great show especially The Mame/Rose/Millie Medley. The Farewell show looses steam to both the Copa and Talk of the Town because by this time it was almost a Diana Ross Show as opposed to a Supremes show but still that show had some great moments particulary Diana & Mary interplay and solo turns and Cindy is more confident singer as she is heard consistently. Let the Sunshine in is too long and could have been cut to include other Supreme hits like Livin in Shame, and In and Out of Love.

luke
07-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Funny, miss_lish. Cindy Birdsong has stated the nights of recording Farewell were totally tense and their conflict was at an all time high. She also said she" hated" Diana at this time[[1969) for her behavior[[Call Her MIss Ross). However they were all great professionals. PS I think it was written that Mrs Ross was doing a little gambling or else she was in the bathroom!

rod_rick
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I played both the Copa and The Talk of the Town tonite, and I must say both shows are great, but I give the Copa Show higher rank for several reasons, the show seems more like a group show with a fantastic rhythm section that is second to none, Flo's vocals come in loud and clear coupled with Mary's alto heard on almost all of the tracks. the comic chatter on Your Nobody with both Mary and Flo getting solo dialogue turns thanks to Flo's comic timing. The hits songs are given full treatments as opposed to the Talk of the Town which features a medley of their biggest hits which is one of the best hit medleys I ever heard. Their show by the talk of the town had matured into a vegas style act complete with all the glitz, gone were the Supremes feel of the groups harmonies. Mary mic is turned up Cindy is hardly audible but it is still a great show especially The Mame/Rose/Millie Medley. The Farewell show looses steam to both the Copa and Talk of the Town because by this time it was almost a Diana Ross Show as opposed to a Supremes show but still that show had some great moments particulary Diana & Mary interplay and solo turns and Cindy is more confident singer as she is heard consistently. Let the Sunshine in is too long and could have been cut to include other Supreme hits like Livin in Shame, and In and Out of Love.
I have 2 shows on video from the Talk of The Town run. I don't think Cindy's vocals lack confidence, just volume on the microphone. There are time when you can hardley hear Mary as well. I also think you got more of Mary because she was closer to Diana and Mary's vocals bled into Diana's mic. If you were to see these show, you would not think that Cindy was lacking at all. She stood in there strong with other two.

floyjoy678
07-04-2011, 07:03 PM
is it just me or is it that you can hear mary and flo on every song on at the copa EXCEPT come see about me? their barely audible on that song and i always thought it was weird. maybe because of the dance steps they had to stand far back from the mics? i know this is the only hit song where they had a lot of choreography. i just thought it was strange.

redlabs
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
TALK OF THE TOWN is my favorite. COPA second. the FAREWELL show was ok in spots but in some areas it seems Diana is oversinging some of the songs and the show seemed rushed.

rod_rick
07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
is it just me or is it that you can hear mary and flo on every song on at the copa EXCEPT come see about me? their barely audible on that song and i always thought it was weird. maybe because of the dance steps they had to stand far back from the mics? i know this is the only hit song where they had a lot of choreography. i just thought it was strange.

Back in the day, my mom had At The Copa on 8 track. I could swear that the backing vocals were louder on the 8 track than the lp

kenneth
07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Perhaps there is a big difference between the Mono and Stereo versions. Sometimes [[as with the Vandellas' Live LP) they are actually different concerts. I don't know whether "At the Copa" had two different recordings or just different mixes, but definitely the 8-track would have been the Stereo version.

reese
07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Perhaps there is a big difference between the Mono and Stereo versions. Sometimes [[as with the Vandellas' Live LP) they are actually different concerts. I don't know whether "At the Copa" had two different recordings or just different mixes, but definitely the 8-track would have been the Stereo version.

I think the stereo and mono albums feature the same concert[[s), but different mixes. To me, the background vocals sound louder on the mono album. Also, I recall Side Two of the mono beginning with a fade up on the departure music, while the stereo Side Two starts with applause.

Actually, I'm listening to the mono COME SEE ABOUT ME now, and the background vocals are somewhat low. Also, the part in the middle where Diana says "Let me hear everybody clap the hands" is almost non-existent, where it is loud and clear on the stereo version.

Sacramento John
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
I do hope that someday [[hopefully soon) that we get some sort of a Live "retrospective" set of the Supremes vaulted live tracks. We've been told there are many, so I am hopeful we will, at least, get a flavor for the best of what's there in the vault. I would love to see a "Copa set" recapping their various dates [[1965-72) there. I don't compare the Copa to the Talk of the Town to the Frontier since they were all such opposites & different in their physical attributes, so naturally the performances reflect that. I have only seen pictures from the Copa and I have seen video of Talk of The Town. The Copa was very intimate, Talk of The Town was gigantic [[or so it appeared to me.) It would be nice to get a complete show from 1966-69 from the Roostertail. There, they are playing for Motown, family & hometown crowd. I have always been curious about the "Live at Lake Tahoe" album that was cancelled. Were any of the dates at the Fairmont in SF or the Grove in LA ever recorded? My dream would be to get a "Copa" package where you could select your lineup, song list & the gowns and then sit back & watch/listen to a computer simulated version of the "Supremes At the Copa." Ah, well..hopefully one day...

stephanie
07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I would like to see those films Berry did of them in the studio. There are plenty of tapes of Fleetwood Mac and rock groups doing their thing. I have even see tapes of the Hollies in the studio although some of them were promotional films and lip synched but since we have seen the Supremes playing ping pong, and the Temps with David Ruffin in their little lip synch film and the other one of the girls doing My World is Empty lip synch and the Mother you Smother you one I know there are more of those.

franjoy56
08-01-2016, 07:55 AM
The supremes at the roostertail 1966. Now that this show is out on the i hear a symphony set, i think this is the best show of all the live albums for several reasons.its an extension of the copa show the band is better more intertplay and it includes all three original members at their peak diana is on point more confidrnt as a lead singer more standards more hits and u get to hear mary and flo take the song people on. The band gets extra points and berry gordy is right up front u could hear him and diana conversing and flo gets her lines in give me that gold and give it me now.

sup_fan
08-01-2016, 11:21 AM
completely agree with you fran. the Roostertail set is a great one. the song selection is very strong, girls are in great form, the hits are full versions as opposed to medleys. my only slight detraction is that it's a smaller band as opposed to an orchestra. no strings. smaller sound

there are a handful of tracks from the Copa 67 performance that are quite good too. You Can't Hurry Love is [[if you can believe it) at an even faster pace but the backing vocals are stronger than Roostertail. The comedy routine for you're Nobody has advanced too by this time. would be interested to hear the full, unedited set and see/hear what things were like just before Flo's departure

as for the DRATS, between the videos and recordings, seems like we have a pretty good idea of what the show was like in 68. not sure if there were many changes in it between the Talk/European shows and Farewell. maybe a few songs.

i'd also be interested in hearing more of the 70s live sets. when Jean joined, they pretty significantly altered their show. from 70 - 72 would be great to hear the various stages of the shows. unfortunately, IMO by late 72 and 73, they had pulled too many old DRATS songs back into the act

marybrewster
08-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Here's a question for those of you "in the know":

When the Supremes "Copa" concert was recorded, had there ever been any other act to put out a live LP from this same venue? Or was this release uncharted territory?

And: did Motown bring in their own staff from Detroit to record this, or did they use sound/engineers/staff that were available in New York?

I think one of the biggest changes I notice from the 1965 Copa gig to the 1966 Roostertail gig is that Diana's sound had developed so much more, even in such a short period of time. If anything, there had to have been an awful amount of stress in '65; by '66 they were much more confident as a group.

Same with what we have heard from the 1967 Copa gig versus, say, 1968's "Talk of the Town". Diana's sound had matured even further in that short time span, it's hard to compare the two.

reese
08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Here's a question for those of you "in the know":

When the Supremes "Copa" concert was recorded, had there ever been any other act to put out a live LP from this same venue? Or was this release uncharted territory?

And: did Motown bring in their own staff from Detroit to record this, or did they use sound/engineers/staff that were available in New York?

I think one of the biggest changes I notice from the 1965 Copa gig to the 1966 Roostertail gig is that Diana's sound had developed so much more, even in such a short period of time. If anything, there had to have been an awful amount of stress in '65; by '66 they were much more confident as a group.

Same with what we have heard from the 1967 Copa gig versus, say, 1968's "Talk of the Town". Diana's sound had matured even further in that short time span, it's hard to compare the two.

Many artists recorded live albums at the Copa before the Supremes, among them, Bobby Darin, Jackie Wilson, Connie Francis, and Sam Cooke.

I would assume that Motown arranged to use remote recording equipment from a NYC facility, but I don't know that for sure. I think the mixes themselves were done back in Detroit. Engineer Lawrence Horn is credited as a co-producer of the Copa album, so possibly that was in light of his helping to compile and edit the album.

Bokiluis
08-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Though "Didn't We" from "Farewell" is an essential part of my collection. However, surprisingly, "Talk of the Town" particularly the "1994 Remastered" version is hands down my favorite. The well worn "Supremes Medley" is better than "The Copa" and "Farewell". I fancy myself as a bit of an audiophile. The band is tight and though she speeds through, Diana sounds, well, Supreme!
"The Broadway Medley" is the peak. "More" and the guitar strumming leading into "In and Out Of Love" gets repeated often.
It is decidedly Vegas-y in the arrangements, but, it is my absolute favorite Supremes live album!

blackguy69
08-01-2016, 02:45 PM
From what I heard from the 70's live sets. The 70-mid 72 sets were great. It was less show tune-y and more soulful. It seems that once Lynda joined, they reverted back to the old drats show with some of the 70's stuff mixed in. I'm not sure what Mary or whoever was thinking when they did this. But I noticed the drats show disappeared around the time they did the Japan concerts. And I believe the last shows with jean and Lynda, they didn't do any of the 60's songs

sup_fan
08-01-2016, 03:19 PM
I've always through that the 70s group should have evolved their show more. Mary DEFINITELY needed to quit singing the same 1 song as her solo and move into new material. would have been a better idea to have her start doing her lead numbers from the group's lps.

They did do a good job with scherrie when they introduced the Dream sequence. nice way to change things up and refresh the show.

I have several tapes of the Scherrie era shows - Manchester England, shortly after Sup 75 was released. Bachelor III in early 76, the MOntreaux Switzerland vid and Sup convention/Roostertail clips. There was still a LOT of vegas-y songs. Everybody Gets To Go to the Moon, Corner of the Sky, The Way We Were, maybe This Time. And while I liked the Dream sequence, it too was very based in show tunes

sup_fan
08-01-2016, 03:36 PM
also if I could wave a magic wand, i'd make some changes to how the ran the shows. Loved Diana as lead but wish they had more opportunity within the format of the shows to share lead

Sam Cooke Medley - what if they ended with Flo tearing it up with Ain't That Good News
Mille/Rose/Mame medley - what if each girl did a lead?

And it seems that [[with DMC) they spent time and money to do so many wonderful medleys on tv. but they didn't incorporate into the shows - Fats Waller, Irving berlin, Cole Porter, Thou Swell. They just kept doing Lady is a tramp and, for a while, the Mille/Rose/Mame one

Jimi LaLumia
08-01-2016, 03:45 PM
actually, Talk Of The town is the most enjoyable , most likely to be revisted more often than the others

sansradio
08-01-2016, 06:09 PM
actually, Talk Of The town is the most enjoyable , most likely to be revisted more often than the others

On that note, Universal, please remaster this or at least make a download available for iTunes!

blackguy69
08-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I've always through that the 70s group should have evolved their show more. Mary DEFINITELY needed to quit singing the same 1 song as her solo and move into new material. would have been a better idea to have her start doing her lead numbers from the group's lps.

They did do a good job with scherrie when they introduced the Dream sequence. nice way to change things up and refresh the show.

I have several tapes of the Scherrie era shows - Manchester England, shortly after Sup 75 was released. Bachelor III in early 76, the MOntreaux Switzerland vid and Sup convention/Roostertail clips. There was still a LOT of vegas-y songs. Everybody Gets To Go to the Moon, Corner of the Sky, The Way We Were, maybe This Time. And while I liked the Dream sequence, it too was very based in show tunes

I do agree that they were too vegas-y but they at least incorporated album cuts into their act. But I disagree that Mary should've stop singing can't take my eyes off of you. That was her moment to shine. I'm guessing once she was more confident as a lead, she started doing more leads.

thanxal
08-01-2016, 07:38 PM
On that note, Universal, please remaster this or at least make a download available for iTunes!
This really is a good performance. I have the 1994 CD release, but I would think Andy, George and crew would have to go back to the tapes to remaster it. Given the lack of studio time for A Go Go, this might explain why we haven't seen it on iTunes. As you know, its not as easy as uploading it from the CD.

bradsupremes
08-01-2016, 09:20 PM
When they opened at the Frontier in 1971, they had a totally new set list. They opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had two solos...Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move" and "Where You Lead." Mary had said Motown was recording the show for a live album and the Copa engagement from that year was recorded as well. Don't know if those shows have been found in the vaults.

blackguy69
08-01-2016, 10:01 PM
When they opened at the Frontier in 1971, they had a totally new set list. They opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had two solos...Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move" and "Where You Lead." Mary had said Motown was recording the show for a live album and the Copa engagement from that year was recorded as well. Don't know if those shows have been found in the vaults.

I didn't know Mary sang where you lead. I've heard Jean's version from Merv griffin

blackguy69
08-01-2016, 10:05 PM
I thought Motown recorded every live show in those days

sansradio
08-01-2016, 11:52 PM
This really is a good performance. I have the 1994 CD release, but I would think Andy, George and crew would have to go back to the tapes to remaster it. Given the lack of studio time for A Go Go, this might explain why we haven't seen it on iTunes. As you know, its not as easy as uploading it from the CD.

That's precisely my issue. I had the vinyl years ago and never bought the CD, for which I've hunted high and low for a dog's age now. I realize that Amazon, eBay, et al. have copies, but I refuse to pay any exorbitant online prices; I'm holding out for the trusty used CD outlets in my city. I've had incredible luck over the past few years; semper hopeful!

Bokiluis
08-02-2016, 07:26 AM
"Talk of the Town" was indeed a taped BBC special. That explains the album peaking at #6!
johnjeb: how fortunate you were to have the seen the original group so many times.

i saw the "I Hear a Symphony Tour"! The single was #1 on both KFRC and KYA/San Francisco simultaneously as they wowed the Cow Palace audience.
The venue, Cow Palace, was the largest capacity [[11,000) in San Francisco. But it was also used for County Fairs and Rodeos, no longer befitting their glamour so they began their annual week-2wk stand at The Fairmont/San Francisco! Since they played sooo many nights there, it was hard to know if any dates were recorded. Acoustically, the room was superb. Because I was under 17-18 yrs. old, I was always accompanied by a relative [[my mom or aunt)!

"Farewell" has an electricity in the room that probably stems from the emotions running throughout. When I'm listening to the album, it feels segmented as if it were being taped for a documentary. But Diana's solo turns like, "Didn't We" made me more excited about her forthcoming solo debut.
"Talk of the Town" captures the group at the height of their popularity.
"Live at the Copa" for all its preparedness is letter perfect and therefore, to my ears, far too rehearsed. The liner notes on the Expanded Edition clearly states that due to a sound malfunction at the beginning, her vocals are dubbed.

longtimefan
08-02-2016, 04:58 PM
I wonder why TALK OF THE TOWN and FAREWELL are not on iTunes? Does anyone know why?

sansradio
08-02-2016, 05:51 PM
I wonder why TALK OF THE TOWN and FAREWELL are not on iTunes? Does anyone know why?

This is a mystery to me as well, longtimefan. I purchased FAREWELL in its CAPTURED LIVE ON STAGE incarnation from iTunes a year or two ago; checking the store from my iPhone, I don't find it now. I'm not near my desktop at the moment; I'll have to investigate further.