PDA

View Full Version : BOSS RADIO - story of CKLW the BIG 8

test

marv2
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
If you would like a better understanding of what it was like for us growing up in and around and near Detroit during the greatest era in music in history, check this excellent documentary out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9LaSfKNxQY

carole cucumber
03-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Boyfromxtown,
You may want to fast forward to 40:48 and 42:08 even though you won't see the Riddler, Penguin, Joker or Catwoman!

mowest
03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Growing up in New York City in the '60s, I listened to CKLW whenever I could pick it up. I heard music that was never played on WABC or WMCA. It was truly amazing. Then when I lived in Michigan starting in 1968, CKLW was always avilable. It was the best AM radio listening you could imagine.
Thank you, carole cucumber, for posting this video!

carole cucumber
03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
Growing up in New York City in the '60s, I listened to CKLW whenever I could pick it up. I heard music that was never played on WABC or WMCA. It was truly amazing. Then when I lived in Michigan starting in 1968, CKLW was always avilable. It was the best AM radio listening you could imagine.
Thank you, carole cucumber, for posting this video!

Mowest,

Thanks are not due me, but to marv2 who posted the video.

Methuselah2
03-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Very interesting video. Thanks Marv.

marv2
03-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Very interesting video. Thanks Marv.

You are very welcome Methuselah!

mowest
03-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Mowest,

Thanks are not due me, but to marv2 who posted the video.

Oops! Sorry marv2. Thank you for the post!

marv2
03-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Oops! Sorry marv2. Thank you for the post!

No problem and you a re welcome. I really enjoyed it. Seeing so many local Detroit memories from the past.

motownlover1964
03-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the great trip down memory lane. I lived in a small town an hour from Detroit/Windsor and CKLW was THE radio station that was played in my car and at home. Although my time there was about a year the impact was huge, not only for 20/20 news but for all the great music they played before radio stations went the "corporate" route and you hear the same 20-30 songs over and over and over.

GrtGzu
03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Here in Cleveland, on a REALLY good day, I remember being able to pick up this station when WJMO or WABQ switched to church programming on Sundays....I enjoyed it and it was interesting to hear what was going on across the lake..

detmotownguy
03-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this find. Man those were the days. So much has changed. Detroit was such a great city to grow up in.

marv2
03-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks for sharing this find. Man those were the days. So much has changed. Detroit was such a great city to grow up in.

It was the best!

detmotownguy
03-26-2015, 11:26 PM
It was the best!

when we would go to our lake house on the weekend, we could listen to cklw nearly the entire trip. We packed our fav Motown albums to play at the lake. My dad ran an extension cord through conduit to the dock for the record player.

marv2
03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
when we would go to our lake house on the weekend, we could listen to cklw nearly the entire trip. We packed our fav Motown albums to play at the lake. My dad ran an extension cord through conduit to the dock for the record player.

Oh that sounds like a great memory!!!! I can remember getting up for school after having CKLW on the radio overnight and hearing the "20/20 News" reports. I swear they could make a kitten stuck in a tree sound like a major International Crisis! LOL!