PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations - He Who Picks a Rose version 1

test

Cadeho
03-17-2015, 11:33 PM
I love listening to the Tempts' individual voices especially when they each take a turn in a part of a song. Well this one has me baffled. In the opening, is it really the Temptations with Eddie ? There are four voices there with Eddie before he starts the first verse, but they are unfamiliar. I don't hear Paul until the first verse. I don't hear Melvin anywhere in the song. The harmony in elsewhere in the song sounds like it could be the group minus Melvin. What was with that opening and is this song just Eddie and Paul? Anyone else hear this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Vo0SClJmY

soulballad
03-18-2015, 03:45 AM
I do hear Paul, Eddie, Otis and El for sure. I'm pretty sure Melvin is there, I think I'm hearing some very low/deep bass notes in the mix as well.

carole cucumber
03-18-2015, 02:40 PM
If you listen through headphones to the 'ooh's on the song, you should be able to tell that Melvin is there.
I'm not sure of the vocal range of each Temptation. Eddie is known for his falsetto, but on a few occasions used his natural voice [[the alternate "I Truly Truly Believe", for example).
We hear the great depth and resonance of Melvin's voice on many songs, but I'm not sure what was the highest note his voice could reach.
Perhaps someone here knows.

Cadeho
03-23-2015, 10:52 PM
I have listened to it over and over since it was released, but just decided to ask now while I remembered. The oohs do sound like there's a bass. But that beginning does not include Melvin and it's the others. I've played and restarted each AH over and over tonight... and I guess it'd be Paul, Al, Otis, then Eddie but Eddie changes his note near the end? What do you think?