PDA

View Full Version : Motown's Jack Ashford speaks on the Blurred Lines verdict.

test

timmyfunk
03-14-2015, 01:46 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/motown-legend-reacts-to-blurred-lines-verdict-413081667792

soulster
03-14-2015, 03:14 AM
From the man who played on the original record!

midnight johnny
03-14-2015, 08:55 AM
So great to see Jack Ashford on Chris Hayes' MSNBC "All In" last night. Fascinating exchange Jack and Chris had!

jobeterob
03-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Enjoyed Jack, a good speaker, very intelligent; he made his point clearly

soulwally
03-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Jack looks well.

dvus7
03-14-2015, 01:06 PM
From the man who played on the original record!

I do not think that Mr. ashford played on "Got to give...."!!!!

soulster
03-14-2015, 01:45 PM
I do not think that Mr. ashford played on "Got to give...."!!!! You may not think it, but he says he did in that interview with Chris Hayes. Didn't you watch it?

dvus7
03-14-2015, 01:59 PM
You may not think it, but he says he did in that interview with Chris Hayes. Didn't you watch it?

Does that make it TRUE!!!! Was Don Cornelius There??LOL!!

thomas96
03-14-2015, 02:48 PM
jack's the man.

jobeterob
03-14-2015, 02:53 PM
What I got out of it was that at a minimum, he played the hardback piece of paper that was a seminal part of the recording! Bet that one doesn't get duplicated well live.

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 03:44 PM

From Jack Ashford's book "Motown The View From the Bottom" Copyright 2003:

"Marvin called me once in the middle of the night to do an overdub. Right away I could hear excitement bubbling in his voice. A genius was at work. "I'm in the studio. Get here as soon as you can, and bring your bag of tricks. I need you to make this thing come alive. This one's a hit, and you're gonna love it!"
Truer words were never spoken. The song was 'Got To Give It Up'. This was indeed a real hit. I, along with several other million people, loved it.
I invented a new instrument called the 'Hotel Sheet'. [[It was nothing more than a measured piece of styrene that I found in a shipping crate. I held it in a certain way and it made a musical sound). I told Marvin about the 'Hotel Sheet'.
"Let's see what it sounds like on tape. " I played it on 'Got To Give It Up' and he liked it. He questioned why I called it the 'Hotel Sheet' , but thought it was a unique item. He held it and as usual he played it. He declared , "Jack, nobody on earth can play stuff like you!"
He gave me label credits for percussion - and the credits also read, "Jack Ashford on the Hotel Sheet." After the record had been released, he told me that people had started asking him what the hotel sheet was. He had someone to take pictures of him and me holding the 'Hotel Sheet'. That same picture has appeared in several magazines, and has been seen all over the world. [[This picture also servers as a product endorsement).

timmyfunk
03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
I doubt if Jack Ashford would make claims that are false.

theboyfromxtown
03-14-2015, 04:20 PM
There was a free "Hotel sheet" in Jack Ashford's album

phil
03-14-2015, 04:46 PM

He's credited on the back cover : Jack Ashford - Tambourine and hotel sheet :

http://www.facerecords.com/shop/images/1/1016694_1.jpg

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 04:52 PM
There was a free "Hotel sheet" in Jack Ashford's album

Do you still have yours, boyfromxtown?

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Lots of Funk Brothers on that album and a Supreme on background vocals , too. Recorded at Marvin Gaye Studio , Hollywood, California.

jobeterob
03-14-2015, 05:12 PM
What Supreme?

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Lynda Lawrence

theboyfromxtown
03-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Do you still have yours, boyfromxtown?

LOL I do......yes. But my album has a picture of Jack Asford on the cover

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61hLUFXfzcL._SX300_.jpg

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
LOL I do......yes. But my album has a picture of Jack Asford on the cover

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61hLUFXfzcL._SX300_.jpg

Oh , you mean the one with the 'before' front cover [[above)

and

the 'after' back cover [[below)

theboyfromxtown
03-14-2015, 05:49 PM
What label was it on Carole?

carole cucumber
03-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Magic Disc Records

reese
03-14-2015, 07:40 PM
I remember reading an old interview with Art Stewart. He said that Jack was now calling the hotel sheet "the Boogie Board" or something like that.

Methuselah2
03-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't know if this clip has already been posted but it's more with Jack Ashford--from 2013 this time. Worth a look:

http://wreg.com/2013/11/04/jack-ashford-changes-his-tune-about-blurred-lines/

marv2
03-14-2015, 08:54 PM
I don't know if this clip has already been posted but it's more with Jack Ashford--from 2013 this time. Worth a look:

http://wreg.com/2013/11/04/jack-ashford-changes-his-tune-about-blurred-lines/

Umm hmm, ok now! Jack Ashford is saying in this 2013 interview that Robin Thicke "got too close to Got to Give It Up," but it was not a rip off. In 2015 , he says he wished the Gaye Family received $ 7 Billion from the lawsuit. Did he suddenly changes his mind?

jobeterob
03-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Wow Lynda Laurence is on Got To Give it Up?!!

Crystaledwards
03-14-2015, 10:59 PM
Umm hmm, ok now! Jack Ashford is saying in this 2013 interview that Robin Thicke "got too close to Got to Give It Up," but it was not a rip off. In 2015 , he says he wished the Gaye Family received $ 7 Billion from the lawsuit. Did he suddenly changes his mind?

It might be noble to declare that your opinions never change, but that’s probably not even close to being true. Even if you don’t share your changed opinion with anyone else, that doesn’t mean you haven’t made up your mind in a new direction. Is it really that difficult to comprehend that Mr. Ashford may have changed his stance?

Every day we are all learning something new that will impact the decisions we make tomorrow.

CE

jobeterob
03-15-2015, 01:30 AM

Mind changes happen all the time.

Mary Wilson decided last month after 30 years that she screwed up the Supremes Reunion on Motown 25. A much greater "faux pas" than ol' Jack changing his mind in a degree!

Ho Ho Ho. I mean he he he, but this is a big one.

carole cucumber
03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Mind changes happen all the time.

Mary Wilson decided last month after 30 years that she screwed up the Supremes Reunion on Motown 25. A much greater "faux pas" than ol' Jack changing his mind in a degree!

Ho Ho Ho. I mean he he he, but this is a big one.

Rob,

To be more accurate & fair, Mary acknowledged that her behavior was one of several factors that led to the the Supremes 'reunion not being what it could and should have been. We would be foolish if we were to try to place the blame on one or two persons.
And besides, this thread is about Jack Ashford, so let's please try to keep the conversation centered on him.

jobeterob
03-15-2015, 11:51 AM
I was being quite and loose and acting that certain way that is encouraged on Soulful Detroit.

But you are right of course.

Jack was very thoughtful and engaging. He gave a good interview.

woodward
03-15-2015, 02:04 PM
I got the following from Discogs which is pertinent to the subject at hand
funkshunize August 21, 2013
edited about 1 year ago
referencing Hotel Sheet, LP, Album, MD-116
This is the original cover, Jack Ashford's wife, unhappy with the suggestive pictures front and back, requested to pull it. 1000 copies were already pressed than the cover was changed to the one with jack ashford on it, the girl was replaced with Jack ashford wife on the back cover.

Only the cover was changed, the media are identicals.

theboyfromxtown
03-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Magic Disc Records

Your post #20 shows the front and back cover of my album.

I see Sundary Tucker and Linda Lawrence are on the album..also Sylvia Smith.

I have my Hotel Sheet signed by Jack Ashford. :-)

carole cucumber
03-15-2015, 06:19 PM
..... Jack Ashford's wife, unhappy with the suggestive pictures front and back, requested to pull it. 1000 copies were already pressed than the cover was changed to the one with jack ashford on it, the girl was replaced with Jack ashford wife on the back cover.

Only the cover was changed, the media are identicals.

Looking at the 'newer' cover, I might title it 'Busted'. The expression on Jack's face, his posture and the way he barely holds the 'hotel sheet' with his wife standing nearby speaks volumes. Her stance and the fact that both look away from each other is rather telling, as well. I'm surprised that she didn't scrutinize a couple of song titles a little more closely.

carole cucumber
03-15-2015, 06:24 PM
And some are just 'so me'.

But what if you only ordered a white pizza? Do you have a bed ensemble for that, Meth?

midnightman
03-15-2015, 06:50 PM
I respect Jack's views on this.

soulster
03-15-2015, 11:01 PM
And besides, this thread is about Jack Ashford, so let's please try to keep the conversation centered on him.

Thank you! Why in the hell are "those" women being discussed on this thread, anyway?

jobeterob
03-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Mostly because "those" women are everywhere including being the most successful, more celebrated Motown act of all time.

Do you remember the line "for better or worse, as the Supremes/Diana Ross went, so went Motown?"

That's the truthful answer.

And here, "they" appeared on Jack's record as well.

And busts were all over Jack's record too.