PDA

View Full Version : New Diana Ross/The Supremes vinyl release

test

djessie
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Looks interesting!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T724RSI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IYUTUPOLVK06&coliid=I15NRQZC519TH3

Product Description
180 gram audiophile vinyl / Insert / Remastered / Bonus track

About the Artist
The Supremes, the most commercially successful girl group in Pop history, were one of the jewels in Motown Records' artist stable. Given wonderful material by Motown's amazing songwriters, the group scored numerous Number One Pop hits, as did singer Diana Ross when she left the group and went solo, and Motown's bright, modern and uptown image as a label had a lot to do with the way these ladies gracefully and elegantly presented themselves and took over a song. Two dozen of those Number One hits, both as The Supremes and as Ross solo, are collected here, including the timeless classics 'Come See About Me', 'You Can't Hurry Love', 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' and 'Stop! In the Name of Love'. The album also features a bonus remix of 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'. Several songs on this album are longer than the original versions. The songs have all been remastered and remixed from the original master tapes. The quality of the sound is much clearer than any collection before. Having used the original elements from the original masters, the mixers were able to attain new recordings, with much clearer sounds, heavier bass and noticeably higher volume levels of the background vocals. The vocals and instrumentations are let go on until the musicians stopped playing and the girls finished singing, without fade-outs. These had never been heard before being issued on this album. Also available on 180 gm vinyl: I Hear A Symphony

jobeterob
03-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Looks awesome to me!

I want it on CD though, lol

Philles/Motown Gary
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Looks awesome to me!

I want it on CD though, lol

It IS on CD, jobeterob. The disc being described above sounds like The Supremes "Number 1's". It was released on Motown/Universal CD back in 2009. I ignored it all along because I thought it was just another rehash compilation until I read the customer reviews about a month ago [[of which the first two reviews say it all). I bought it and I’m glad I did. The Supremes’ tracks all sound fresh and new yet wonderfully familiar. The Bonus track, "You Keep Me Hangin’ On", is an Almighty Remix and it’s HOT! I highly recommend this set. - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Number-1s-Diana-Ross-Supremes/dp/B00380K2RA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426195181&sr=1-1&keywords=the+supremes+number+1%27s+cd

Jaap
03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Actually, the 2009 one was a rerelease with new cover art. The "original" one was released in 2003 -- the US edition had the infamous "headless" Supremes on the cover. The UK version had a different track list and The Supremes had their heads back. Love the longer fades or full ends that are on the songs.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Actually, the 2009 one was a rerelease with new cover art. The "original" one was released in 2003 -- the US edition had the infamous "headless" Supremes on the cover. The UK version had a different track list and The Supremes had their heads back. Love the longer fades or full ends that are on the songs.
Yeah, jaap, some of them are exciting. And it's neat to have the back-up vocals up front for a change instead of half-buried in the mix. I have to wonder, however, why the original CD release's front cover featured headless Supremes! It sounds demented! Was it a special Halloween issue or something?!!! - Gary

reese
03-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah, jaap, some of them are exciting. And it's neat to have the back-up vocals up front for a change instead of half-buried in the mix. I have to wonder, however, why the original CD release's front cover featured headless Supremes! It sounds demented! Was it a special Halloween issue or something?!!! - Gary

I think they were following the trend of some other "#1s" like Elvis Presley's, whose back cover only showed from his nose on down.

Glenpwood
03-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Well there are 5 Supremes singing on the set so perhaps that's why the heads were left off. I'm sure the thinking from a marketing level was that doing a collage of the five members would confuse casual fans.

Since Stoned Love was included as it was an R&B chart topper, why didn't the set just get branded as The Supremes #1's?

antceleb12
03-13-2015, 10:35 AM
My absolute favorite mix on the "#1's" is "You Can't Hurry Love." I've always thought those church-y background vocals were the best and to hear them up front is wonderful. The full version of "Reflections" is fantastic, too. I've always loved the ended and was glad when they included that infamous bridge that was deleted in the single release.

thommg
03-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Well there are 5 Supremes singing on the set so perhaps that's why the heads were left off. I'm sure the thinking from a marketing level was that doing a collage of the five members would confuse casual fans.

Since Stoned Love was included as it was an R&B chart topper, why didn't the set just get branded as The Supremes #1's?

The set also included Diana Ross' solo #1's which is why her name is included in the title. The Beatles #1's just had a big 1 on the cover so I wasn't surprised at the half heads of The Supremes on the original release of this one. It's kind of cool that it's being released as a 2 LP set.

skooldem1
03-13-2015, 10:57 AM

Because these songs were included:

2. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
3. Touch Me In The Morning
4. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To?)
5. Love Hangover
6. The Boss
7. Upside Down
8. I'm Coming Out
9. Endless Love [[With Lionel Richie)