PDA

View Full Version : Billboard Says Supremes Best Selling Female Group of All Time

test

milven
03-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Wasn't there a thread here a few weeks ago with Billboard's Best Selling Female Groups? I think the results were different then. On this chart, the Supremes are the best selling Female group of all time.

In the old thread, I questioned how a group like the Andrews Sisters were not included. But on this list, Billboard defines "all time" as the last sixty years - so that explains why pre-rock groups are excluded. But why is this list different from the list in the previous thread? [[Or am I wrong about that? Senility is setting in, so I may be wrong :[[)

These lists don't really mean much, but it is nice to see the Supremes at the top and the Shirelles and Martha included.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20150311/steve-smith-top-10-greatest-girl-groups-and-more-music-news

Philles/Motown Gary
03-13-2015, 01:59 AM
Milven, I’m not familiar with the previous thread that you’re referring to, but I would think that Diana Ross & The Supremes would be the #1 female group on ANY list EVER printed....any time....anywhere. - Gary

milven
03-13-2015, 07:55 AM
I agree. They should be. But we did discuss this in another thread and I don't remember them being on top of the chart, nor do I remember the Shirelles being prominent. Also, if they were using the term "all time" then the Andrews Sisters would have to be way at the top, but the article above now defines all time as the last 60 years which eliminates them.

It would be interesting to compare sales and chart positions of the Andrews and Supremes

jobeterob
03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I think there was a list around with TLC at the top; it probably had a lot to do with "certified RIAA" sales and I'm sure TLC topped the Supremes in that respect.

As the years have gone by, we are starting to compare apples to oranges; single sales were monumental once; then they disappeared; the 90's had massive sales; and now they are all gone; digital has risen but the sales overall are still down an awful lot and artists, both old and young, have to find other ways to make a living.

A few people make a fortune and many make very little.

captainjames
03-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I don't know how it can be anyone else but Flo, Mary, Diana and Cindy.

midnightman
03-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Honestly, I don't know how it can be anyone else but Flo, Mary, Diana and Cindy.

Agreed. They're the tops.

marv2
03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Weren't they just great?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-15-2015, 09:23 PM
You're right, Marv. The "tops" were another Motown group! HaHa!

marv2
03-15-2015, 09:45 PM
You're right, Marv. The "tops" were another Motown group! HaHa!

Yes they were, my favorite group at that! LOL!

Bokiluis
03-15-2015, 11:24 PM
That's a pretty amazing feat after 50 years, not unlike The Beatles hold on male rock groups.
what a lot of people don't know is nearly half of the sales of TLC albums were through record clubs which gave a misleading picture. The ladies got caught up being signed to Pebbles Pettibone mgmt and didn't have a clear understanding that Diamond level sales of "CrazySexyCool" was sold at severely reduced record club rate. Clive loves the RIAA certifications, but, again without a thorough understanding of the record club sales methodology, expecting royalties on 10 million albums are again misleading. Everytime we put Whitney albums on deal, the orders underperformed because Whitney's albums were sold primarily on CD so we didn't experience the increases that older albums from the vinyl era did.
Destiny's Child may sing we are "Survivor"s. But that title clearly belongs to Diana Ross and The Supremes. Only "Country, Western & Pop" and "We Remember Sam Cooke", a darn good album didn't make at least Gold level sales. The former about 150k and "Cooke" a little over 300,000, still respectable in my eyes for not having a hit single lead the way. Near platinum sales on "A Bit of Liverpool" is one real surprise.

Bokiluis
03-15-2015, 11:28 PM
I think Diana still gets Supremes royalties while Berry unfairly made other artists signed them away.

and yes The Tops did fantastic, almost better in England chart ranking wise....though domestic sales still outpaced.

blackguy69
03-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I think Diana still gets Supremes royalties while Berry unfairly made other artists signed them away.

and yes The Tops did fantastic, almost better in England chart ranking wise....though domestic sales still outpaced. Mary still gets royalties. the others signe theirs away, but not sure about Susaye and Scherrie.

Bokiluis
03-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Mary still gets royalties. the others signe theirs away, but not sure about Susaye and Scherrie.

Good for her. The "1s" compilation is a steady seller as are a few of the compilations. Universal surely doesn't treat them with the respect they deserve. The 50th Anniversary came and went with little fanfare had it not been for the various interviews/features that Mary celebrating "Where Did Our Love Go", the average music buyer had little idea that a momentous achievement had occurred. And they didn't have to spend a lot of ad dollars, Publicity should have been more plugged in.