test

dvus7
03-08-2015, 07:20 PM
To whom it may concern::9232

bradburger
03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Very interesting.

Thanks for posting!

Btw, where did you obtain this from if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Paul

soulster
03-08-2015, 09:34 PM
"We are suppose to own the master, and they are selling it on the West Coast, we know for sure, and probably in other places too."

Poor writing skills. Tsk-tsk!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 12:45 AM
Dvus7, I've never seen the book in person, and it's my own fault for not ordering it when I should have, but the above memo is reminding me of Al Abrams' "Hype & Soul -- Behind The Scenes At Motown" which supposedly contained memos and letters of correspondence from Motown's heyday. Might that be where you got it, from Al's book? [[I just looked it up on Amazon but it's out of print. As luck would have it, one of the third-party dealers is asking more than $1,700.00 for it! So much for buying it now!

dvus7
03-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Dvus7, I've never seen the book in person, and it's my own fault for not ordering it when I should have, but the above memo is reminding me of Al Abrams' "Hyoe & Soul -- Behind The Scenes At Motown" which supposedly contained memos and letters of correspondence from Motown's heyday. Might that be where you got it, from Al's book? [[I just looked it up on Amazon but it's out of print. As luck would have it, one of the third-party dealers is asking more than $1,700.00 for it! So much for buying it now!

No, it is not!!!

theboyfromxtown
03-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Dvus7, I've never seen the book in person, and it's my own fault for not ordering it when I should have, but the above memo is reminding me of Al Abrams' "Hype & Soul -- Behind The Scenes At Motown" which supposedly contained memos and letters of correspondence from Motown's heyday. Might that be where you got it, from Al's book? [[I just looked it up on Amazon but it's out of print. As luck would have it, one of the third-party dealers is asking more than $1,700.00 for it! So much for buying it now!

Gary

Do you have this? I'd suggest you get it if you don't want to be unlucky.

http://www.amazon.fr/Motown-Soul-Glamour-Florent-Mazzoleni/dp/2268068552/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1425895827&sr=8-6&keywords=motown

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Gary

Do you have this? I'd suggest you get it if you don't want to be unlucky.

http://www.amazon.fr/Motown-Soul-Glamour-Florent-Mazzoleni/dp/2268068552/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1425895827&sr=8-6&keywords=motown
No, I'm afraid I don't, boyfromxtown, and it looks like I won't be getting it any time soon. The Amazon ad is printed in French, and the book is already out of print with 3rd-party dealers demanding $72.00-$172.00. One customer review was written in English. Was that you?

JL2648
03-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Gary, try bookfinder.com. I believe that is where I found my copy within the last year for a reasonable price. -Jeff

thommg
03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Gary, try bookfinder.com. I believe that is where I found my copy within the last year for a reasonable price. -Jeff

One of two entries found at bookfinders.com [[my favorite is the line under the price!):

Hardcover, ISBN 095695930X
Publisher: Templestreet Publishing, 2011
Used. This Book is in Good Condition. Clean Copy With Light Amount of Wear. 100% Guaranteed.
Price reflects $1.00 discount; must enter coupon code “A53RZ4” at checkout to receive discount.

$4,544.59
w/coupon

JL2648
03-09-2015, 03:25 PM
One of two entries found at bookfinders.com [[my favorite is the line under the price!):

Hardcover, ISBN 095695930X
Publisher: Templestreet Publishing, 2011
Used. This Book is in Good Condition. Clean Copy With Light Amount of Wear. 100% Guaranteed.
Price reflects $1.00 discount; must enter coupon code “A53RZ4” at checkout to receive discount.

$4,544.59
w/coupon

Ah, marketing.

theboyfromxtown
03-09-2015, 03:55 PM
No, I'm afraid I don't, boyfromxtown, and it looks like I won't be getting it any time soon. The Amazon ad is printed in French, and the book is already out of print with 3rd-party dealers demanding $72.00-$172.00. One customer review was written in English. Was that you?

Oui....c'est moi!!

woodward
03-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Ah, marketing.

TRIVIA QUESTION. The Newberger people leased the song for what album, does any one know?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 11:25 PM

I checked it out, Jeff, but it reaped no results. I even tried typing the title a little differently each time, but it still said, "Sorry, no results". Thanks for trying.

Correction, Jeff: I found it by searching via the ISBN number. Despite my champagne taste, it’s WAY too expensive for my beer salary! Thanks again, though. I appreciate it. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Oui....c'est moi!!

Ah, ‘twas you! You wrote a great review, BTW. You inspired me to want to buy it! It sounds like a wonderful book that I never even knew existed. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 11:56 PM

$4,544.59
w/coupon

Is that all, Thom? Heck, I’ll order a couple of ‘em!

JL2648
03-10-2015, 08:30 AM
I checked it out, Jeff, but it reaped no results. I even tried typing the title a little differently each time, but it still said, "Sorry, no results". Thanks for trying.

Correction, Jeff: I found it by searching via the ISBN number. Despite my champagne taste, it’s WAY too expensive for my beer salary! Thanks again, though. I appreciate it. - Gary

Gary, I pulled it up in bookfinder.com and was frankly shocked at prices. I guess I bought mine [[within the last year) just before things got out of hand, pricing-wise. Among the current listings the pricing of some available overseas don't seem TOO bad but I don't know if they would sell it to you in the U. S. [[I do see one that offers international shipping rates). I'd keep tabs at bookfinders.com to see if someone offers a reasonably priced book in the near future. -Jeff

mysterysinger
03-10-2015, 10:54 AM
$4,544.59 is around £3,052 - heck I'd even sell my copy for that much!

thommg
03-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Is that all, Thom? Heck, I’ll order a couple of ‘em!

Gary, don't forget to enter your coupon code for that $1 discount!

theboyfromxtown
03-10-2015, 11:50 AM
$4,544.59 is around £3,052 - heck I'd even sell my copy for that much!

For that amount, you could buy a few new copies and pay the travel costs to France to pick them up and STILL have enough money left over to buy an ice cream!

woodward
03-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Ah, marketing.

UPDATE. Save your hard earned money. I have recently learned that there are in the planning stages two additional books coming out by Al Abrams. First and foremost, a Hype and Soul [[second edition) which is probably going to be identical to the first edition and also a sister book Hype and Soul 2 which will include never before published material that was not put in the first book. No time frame has been established but hopefully we will someday soon see these books published, especially the Hype and Soul 2. Stay tuned.

thommg
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
UPDATE. Save your hard earned money. I have recently learned that there are in the planning stages two additional books coming out by Al Abrams. First and foremost, a Hype and Soul [[second edition) which is probably going to be identical to the first edition and also a sister book Hype and Soul 2 which will include never before published material that was not put in the first book. No time frame has been established but hopefully we will someday soon see these books published, especially the Hype and Soul 2. Stay tuned.

Good to know. Now I can redeposit my retirement money so I don't have to buy the book online - though, I would be saving a dollar. Nah! I'll wait for the second edition.

robb_k
03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
To whom it may concern::http://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9232&stc=1
Interesting that Motown considered suing Chess to get them to stop selling "Money" by Barrett Strong on Anna Records [[as late as early 1962), after Berry Knew that his sisters weren't getting any of that money, Anna having gone bust in mid 1961, and his sisters and Harvey Fuqua already having operated Tri-Phi/Harvey Records for almost half a year. I also didn't know that Chess didn't even pay the up-front money on the second Miracles' record lease option picked up after "Bad Girl" sold so well. I thought The Chess Brothers had such a "relatively" good reputation for their dealings with their artists. I guess that only held true for their better money-making Chicago-based artists, and not their lessees.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Good to know. Now I can redeposit my retirement money so I don't have to buy the book online - though, I would be saving a dollar. Nah! I'll wait for the second edition.
Yeah, I suppose waiting for the new edition[[s) is the wise thing to do, but, dang, I was lookin' forward to that oh-so-special $1.00 discount!

mysterysinger
03-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Don't forget that the original book came with a 45 too!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-12-2015, 01:16 AM
Don't forget that the original book came with a 45 too!

Mysterysinger, you’re certainly sweetening the pot! $4,544.59 MINUS one whole dollar coupon PLUS a 45 thrown in for good measure suddenly makes the remaining $4,543.59 seem like a real steal! HeHe! - Gary