PDA

View Full Version : ???????? Mystery Song: BRENDA HOLLOWAY - "I've Prayed For A Boy Like You" ????????

test

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 03:16 AM
HELP!!!

BRENDA HOLLOWAY - "I Prayed For A Boy Like You"

I just discovered this gorgeous Brenda Holloway [[w/The Andantes) recording on YouTube. It’s obviously from the Motown vaults, yet, somehow, I don’t have it in my CD collection. Does anyone know where this track came from, and how I can obtain it on CD? [[A friend from across 'the pond' once told me that, over the years, the folks in the U.K. got many previously-unreleased Motown tracks that we here in the U.S. never got. Might this be one of them, or have I inadvertently missed something along the way?) Here it is:

Brenda Holloway Video/Photo Collage: "I Prayed For A Boy Like You" [[Posted By tomovox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv3zskcVQ0A

And a couple more Brenda nuggets for you just because y'all are so nice:

Brenda Holloway Video Performance: "When I’m Gone" [[Posted By Manny Rivera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAIX1imfNEo

Brenda Holloway Video Performance: "You Can Cry On My Shoulder" [[Posted By Bill A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZc2WeB0TM

Enjoy! - Gary

Methuselah2
03-07-2015, 03:59 AM
Gary - It's Track 32 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Anthology-Brenda-Holloway/dp/B0002Z9YGO

lakedistrictlad1
03-07-2015, 04:05 AM
It was issued on the U.K double cd set 'The Motown anthology' back in 2005. And yes it is gorgeoucd is long deleted and commands a high price these days but check on Amazon or eBay and see if you can track it down. It is an essential set.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Thanks, Methuselah2 and lakedistrictlad1. As it turns out, it was a false alarm. I already have Brenda's Motown Anthology, as well as all of the other Motown Anthologies in this outstanding series from Universal U.K.. What happened was twofold -- It's been so.long since I played it, I had completely forgotten about this beautiful song. And then, when I searched for this song on my word processor Motown Playlist, I inadvertently typed "I Prayed For A Boy Like You" when I should have searched for "I've Prayed For A Boy [[Like You)". That's where and why the discrepancy occurred. Well, at least I know that a crucial Motown recording didn't get past me. Thanks, you guys, for coming to my rescue. It is much appreciated. - Gary

144man
03-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Who'd have guessed from the Patti Michael's version that Brenda's original would have turned out to be so good?

calvin
03-07-2015, 08:28 AM
It was issued on the U.K double cd set 'The Motown anthology' back in 2005. And yes it is gorgeoucd is long deleted and commands a high price these days but check on Amazon or eBay and see if you can track it down. It is an essential set.

I also have this on cd. But for those looking for this title who don't want to pay big $$$ for a used copy, you can get a lossless [[same audio quality as the cd) download here:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-motown-anthology-brenda-holloway/0060249807658

carole cucumber
03-07-2015, 12:13 PM
I also have this on cd. But for those looking for this title who don't want to pay big $$$ for a used copy, you can get a lossless [[same audio quality as the cd) download here:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-motown-anthology-brenda-holloway/0060249807658

That is, if you live in one of the countries that utilizes this service. [[No, U.S.A.)

calvin
03-07-2015, 03:10 PM
That is, if you live in one of the countries that utilizes this service. [[No, U.S.A.)

It's available in most of western Europe from Qobuz, I wasn't aware that no one offers it in the US. Maybe it will show up on Pono soon.

I certainly don't understand how Universal decides these things. Last year two Tata Vega albums made their digital debut as [[lossy) downloads in the US, but were never made available in Europe. Same for two albums by Mandre. In the Mandre case, we in Europe never got the remastered downloads, and instead Universal licensed his first album in Europe to a label [[Fever Dream) that issued it on cd as a vinyl rip! What a way to treat your European customers!!!

Universal , you are just killing your business. If these Tata Vega and Mandre downloads had shown up on Qobuz, I would have bought them. I did buy the Mandre cd, [[stupidly) thinking it might be the digital remaster that had just been done, but instead I wasted my money on a vinyl rip and I'm somewhat bitter about it. I won't make that mistake again, I'll be much more careful and selective when considering Universal titles in the future.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Who'd have guessed from the Patti Michael's version that Brenda's original would have turned out to be so good?
144man, I checked out the Patti Michaels version on YouTube. That’s really nice, too, but I've gotta go with Brenda’s version with The Andantes. It’s got that certain Motown magic that Patti’s doesn't quite achieve. However, if I had heard Patti’s version first, I would love it! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Last year two Tata Vega albums made their digital debut as [[lossy) downloads in the US, but were never made available in Europe.

Universal , you are just killing your business. If these Tata Vega and Mandre downloads had shown up on Qobuz, I would have bought them. I did buy the Mandre cd, [[stupidly) thinking it might be the digital remaster that had just been done, but instead I wasted my money on a vinyl rip and I'm somewhat bitter about it. I won't make that mistake again, I'll be much more careful and selective when considering Universal titles in the future.
Calvin, I’ve gotta agree with you. At times, it seems as though Universal is purposely digging their own grave, while poor Harry, Andy, and George can only look on helplessly, watching all of their hard work and effort collapse around them.

[[Just for the record, Universal has since released all 4 of Tata Vega’s Motown albums as lossy downloads [[although they sound like mastertape transfers to my ears). - Gary

calvin
03-07-2015, 05:36 PM
[[Just for the record, Universal has since released all 4 of Tata Vega’s Motown albums as lossy downloads [[although they sound like mastertape transfers to my ears). - Gary

Hi Gary. You are right, there were 4 Tata Vega downloads. But 2 of those [[Full Speed Ahead, Totally Tata) had already been released digitally, on cd from Soul Music.

thomas96
03-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Got this gem on a 10" acetate. Not the best condition but it plays through.

theboyfromxtown
03-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Is it a different mix to the one on youtube?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi Gary. You are right, there were 4 Tata Vega downloads. But 2 of those [[Full Speed Ahead, Totally Tata) had already been released digitally, on cd from Soul Music.
Yes, Sir, Calvin, and I've got 'em both -- the two CD's along with the other two downloads. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

mowest
03-08-2015, 12:45 AM
The discussion of the Brenda Holloway "mystery song" led me to a review of her "Motown Anthology" where the writer raved about "I'm On The Right Track." I took a listen and, wow, it is an excellent "stomper." Come to find out it was issued as by "Brenda and The Boys" on Detroit's Motor label and produced by F. Wilson [[who I assume in Frank Wilson). Does anyone know the back story of this label and song? And who are The Boys?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-08-2015, 03:12 AM
The discussion of the Brenda Holloway "mystery song" led me to a review of her "Motown Anthology" where the writer raved about "I'm On The Right Track." I took a listen and, wow, it is an excellent "stomper." Come to find out it was issued as by "Brenda and The Boys" on Detroit's Motor label and produced by F. Wilson [[who I assume in Frank Wilson). Does anyone know the back story of this label and song? And who are The Boys?

Mowest, here you go, although it doesn’t answer your question: [[posted by bricomaligno) - Gary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM1uRv8WuEw

carole cucumber
03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
....... Come to find out it was issued as by "Brenda and The Boys" on Detroit's Motor label and produced by F. Wilson [[who I assume in Frank Wilson). Does anyone know the back story of this label and song? And who are The Boys?

If you check the listing of Detroit studios of the 60's here at SDF, you'll find that no studio is acknowledged as existing at that address. If you google map the address, you currently find no building currently there.
It's likely a bootleg press. The 'boys' must refer to the musicians- the fabulous Funk brothers. They sure aren't the girls on background vocals!
I could swear I had a cd once with the same "Motor" label way back in the day before Motown began to issue rareties from original master tapes.

theboyfromxtown
03-08-2015, 10:41 AM
The producer of I'm On The Right Track on the Motown Anthology was Hal Davis.

Who were the songwriters on the Brenda and the Boys version - is that information available?

carole cucumber
03-08-2015, 11:35 AM
The producer of I'm On The Right Track on the Motown Anthology was Hal Davis.

Who were the songwriters on the Brenda and the Boys version - is that information available?

None of the three listed in Brenda's anthology. On the single pictured in the video, Joseph Norris is listed as composer.

carole cucumber
03-08-2015, 11:39 AM
If you check the listing of Detroit studios of the 60's here at SDF, you'll find that no studio is acknowledged as existing at that address. If you google map the address, you currently find no building currently there.
It's likely a bootleg press. The 'boys' must refer to the musicians- the fabulous Funk brothers. They sure aren't the girls on background vocals!
I could swear I had a cd once with the same "Motor" label way back in the day before Motown began to issue rareties from original master tapes.

I just checked Brenda's anthology, from which the track is taken. It indicates that the track was recorded in LA. Whomever the musicians were, they got their Motown 101 downpat, even if they weren't the Funk Brothers. .

carole cucumber
03-08-2015, 11:48 AM
ASCAP does have a songwriter, Joseph Edward Norris listed, but his songs were copyrighted by the No Strings Music Group.
BMI shows Joseph [[B) Norris, one of the composer's of Stone Soul Booster and sole composer for I'm Going Home, both Stone Agate Music properties

mowest
03-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks, everyone, for helping to fill in the blanks about "I'm On The Right Track!"

theboyfromxtown
03-08-2015, 05:02 PM
ASCAP does have a songwriter, Joseph Edward Norris listed, but his songs were copyrighted by the No Strings Music Group.
BMI shows Joseph [[B) Norris, one of the composer's of Stone Soul Booster and sole composer for I'm Going Home, both Stone Agate Music properties

I'm impressed Carole......