PDA

View Full Version : IT'S SO HARD FOR ME TO SAY GOODYBE: Supremes vs. Kendricks

test

BayouMotownMan
03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I've been listening to these two tracks, cut close to one another. To my ears the backing vocals on Kendricks version sound like the same singers backing Jean on the Supremes version. Some vocals are added on one and not on the other perhaps to disguise the fact that it was indeed the same singers on both tracks. Perhaps Frankie Wilson pulled a fast one on us.

Has anybody else noticed the similarities in those voices?

rod_rick
03-06-2015, 09:58 PM
I've been listening to these two tracks, cut close to one another. To my ears the backing vocals on Kendricks version sound like the same singers backing Jean on the Supremes version. Some vocals are added on one and not on the other perhaps to disguise the fact that it was indeed the same singers on both tracks. Perhaps Frankie Wilson pulled a fast one on us.

Has anybody else noticed the similarities in those voices?

Naw the "I know" sounds the same but " I'll go" is so different to my ears. I prefer JMC version over Eddie's including the JMC backing vocals

BayouMotownMan
03-06-2015, 10:21 PM
It's not just those parts. I never did hear Mary and Cindy on It's So Hard, I know they are not on Time and Love and I don't hear them on Here Comes The Sunshine. If they are on Happy [[Is A Bumpy Road) they are augmented at times. It does sound like Mary and Cindy on the beginning of Happy

mowest
03-07-2015, 03:12 AM
The entry in Wikipedia for the Supremes' "Touch" album states that additional backing vocals were provided by the Blackberries.

jobeterob
03-07-2015, 05:27 AM
They still did this even AFTER Diana left???!!!

Now THAT I did not expect!

BayouMotownMan
03-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Producers utilized other voices on many occasions to expedite a production or to just add a fuller sound. On all of Jean's Supremes lps other backing vocalists were used. Particularly so for the Jim Webb lps.

The mixing between both It's So Hard tracks is different, with the backing vocals behind Jean not as prominent as they are behind Eddie.

For the few who don't know, if you download Eddie Kendricks "Slick" album, his last for Motown, the opening track Something Shady features a prominent Jean Terrell [[credited as Jean Thompson) on backing vocals. She is very recognizable at the beginning of the track but is mixed further into the vocals throughout the rest of the song.

jillfoster
03-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Producers utilized other voices on many occasions to expedite a production or to just add a fuller sound. On all of Jean's Supremes lps other backing vocalists were used. Particularly so for the Jim Webb lps.

The mixing between both It's So Hard tracks is different, with the backing vocals behind Jean not as prominent as they are behind Eddie.

For the few who don't know, if you download Eddie Kendricks "Slick" album, his last for Motown, the opening track Something Shady features a prominent Jean Terrell [[credited as Jean Thompson) on backing vocals. She is very recognizable at the beginning of the track but is mixed further into the vocals throughout the rest of the song.

There weren't any extras on "New Ways".

kenneth
03-07-2015, 11:29 AM
There weren't any extras on "New Ways".

Isn't that true of "Floy Joy" LP as well? I think that's why Mary liked that one so much and wasn't fond of "Jimmy Webb." I like some of the FJ LP but it's so light and fluffy, you forget it almost the second it ends.

BayouMotownMan
03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Isn't that true of "Floy Joy" LP as well? I think that's why Mary liked that one so much and wasn't fond of "Jimmy Webb." I like some of the FJ LP but it's so light and fluffy, you forget it almost the second it ends.

The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy lp, augmenting Mary and Cindy. The only track featuring just Mary and Cindy is Precious Little Things.

On New Ways, the Andantes are clearly heard on Bridge Over Troubled Water.

carole cucumber
03-07-2015, 11:49 AM
The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy lp, augmenting Mary and Cindy. The only track featuring just Mary and Cindy is Precious Little Things.

And the Andantes are listed individually by name in the alphabetized credits on the back cover of the Floy Joy lp.

kenneth
03-07-2015, 11:51 AM
And the Andantes are listed individually by name in the alphabetized credits on the back cover of the Floy Joy lp.

Very interesting. I didn't know they ever got credited for their work, even individually.

carole cucumber
03-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Very interesting. I didn't know they ever got credited for their work, even individually.

They are in a horizontal listing along with the musicians who played on the sessions. All following the intro "Thanks to'. Perhaps that's why so many people never noticed.
I wonder if Smokey pushed for their being incorporated in the listing.

jillfoster
03-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Exactly where? There could be a bit of augmentation after the second verse, and after the third... but it's not much if it is there at all.

marv2
03-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Exactly where? There could be a bit of augmentation after the second verse, and after the third... but it's not much if it is there at all.

Carol is grasping hard again. The Funk Brothers were all over the Floy Joy album but she does not mention them at all. Just totally ignores them and it is their contribution aside from the Supremes themselves are the most important contributors to that recording!

carole cucumber
03-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Carol is grasping hard again. The Funk Brothers were all over the Floy Joy album but she does not mention them at all. Just totally ignores them and it is their contribution aside from the Supremes themselves are the most important contributors to that recording!

Once again , Marv , either put on your glasses , or learn how to read.

from post #12:

"They are in a horizontal listing along with the musicians who played on the sessions. All following the intro "Thanks to'."
The thread began with an observation/ question concerning the background vocals on 2 released versions of "It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye". It then moved [[once again) into a discussion of the use of Supremes backgrounds alone vs. Andante/others augmentation vs. no Supremes backgrounds, others only on certain recordings.

Jill Foster responds in post # 13 to BayouMotown Man's post #9 about the Andantes role on "Bridge Over Troubled Water' from 'New Ways But Love Stays" This part of the discussion at that moment is clearly between them.
You, Marv, interject, reply quoting jill foster, incorrectly dragging my name into these 2 posters' discussion, trying to twist things around because you feel that I did not strong-arm the thread centered on background vocals on Supremes' records with a specific mention of the Funk Brothers, whom were part of the thanks I referred to in post # 12.

So Marv, once again please read carefully before you post and make sure that you are responding to what was said, not what think you read that might be used against someone.

Thank you.

jobeterob
03-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Well I'm surprised. I did not realise how much the producers were using the Andantes

I very much liked Floy Joy the album but I hav to admit that it was awfully fluffy and light

Marv needs to grow to accept the contributions of the background singers from the various motown groups was alway augmented and that on record what mattered was the lead singer - Diana Martha David Levi Eddie.

In concert it was different

It's history not the revisionism he'd like to have us believe

kenneth
03-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Marv, on this one I gotta say you jumped to the wrong conclusion. Carole was talking about the Andantes; it was my post about them which prompted her response.

jillfoster
03-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Well I'm surprised. I did not realise how much the producers were using the Andantes

I very much liked Floy Joy the album but I hav to admit that it was awfully fluffy and light

Marv needs to grow to accept the contributions of the background singers from the various motown groups was alway augmented and that on record what mattered was the lead singer - Diana Martha David Levi Eddie.

In concert it was different

It's history not the revisionism he'd like to have us believe

Nope. On record the song itself and the production matter just as much.

BayouMotownMan
03-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Marv, on this one I gotta say you jumped to the wrong conclusion. Carole was talking about the Andantes; it was my post about them which prompted her response.

See, this is why I rarely post on here anymore. I simply asked a question, an opinion really and from there the same person who does this every time goes into attack mode.

I will ask Ralph to delete the thread as our resident terrorist continues to stir trouble where there is none.

kenneth
03-07-2015, 03:20 PM
See, this is why I rarely post on here anymore. I simply asked a question, an opinion really and from there the same person who does this every time goes into attack mode.

I will ask Ralph to delete the thread as our resident terrorist continues to stir trouble where there is none.

Who attacked who?

honest man
03-07-2015, 04:13 PM
[
our resident terrorist continues to stir trouble where there is none.[/QUOTE]

what a perfect description of this ...................

ralpht
03-07-2015, 04:16 PM
To tell the truth, I don't see much of a problem with this thread and will let it stand for now. Just stick to facts though.

honest man
03-07-2015, 04:39 PM
IT'S SO HARD FOR ME TO choose best version of this song ,they are both excellent productions, always loved em both.cheers

captainjames
03-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Sorry hands down Supremes Vs. Kendricks, no one does Eddie better than Eddie.

marv2
03-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Eddie Kendricks my vote on this one. Memories of Chicago 1971! It was a very popular recording there and the one I remember most.

rod_rick
03-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Never thought the Andantes were used on Bridge Over Troubled Water. I would think if you're going to use the Andantes the top or the soprano would be much stronger. As for the Touch lp the backing vocals maybe sweeten by additional vocalist buts Mary & Cindy are clearly present.

rod_rick
03-07-2015, 07:44 PM
As I stated earlier I like the Supremes better. The production on their version outshine Eddie's version.

BayouMotownMan
03-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I suppose I should possibly correct myself here, on Bridge Over Troubled Water during the instrumental break there seems to be more than two women vocalizing in harmony. It could possibly be that Jean is with Mary and Cindy on backing vocals which she did do in the beginning but it is also quite possible that the Andantes are there.

When a producer utilized the Andantes it wasn't always for the entire song. Take Jimmy Mack for instance. The Andantes are fleshing out the "ahhh" behind Martha on the chorus of the song. For the rest of that track it's just Roz and Betty. Same way on Now the Bitter, Now The Sweet, the Andantes are fleshing out the track on the ahhh between breaks of the choruses. I think I left out that I don't hear the Andantes on The Wisdom Of Time and I'm not too certain if they are on Automatically Sunshine. They are mixed well into the background but "who cares if when it rains it pours," that sounds like the Andantes behind Mary and Jean.

arr&bee
03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I have eddie's version but not the supremes,but it would have to be great to beat eddie's version.